• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm not very familiar with the Senran Kagura series (I saw footage of a couple of the Vita and 3DS games in a couple Classic Game Room videos, plus some footage of Peach Beach Splash on a Twitch stream, and that's about it)... but if we do get a character from that series...

...I want the character that, like Joker, brings us yet another step closer to having JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in Smash.
Me: Give me Jotaro
Parents: We have Jotaro at home
Jotaro at home:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm not very familiar with the Senran Kagura series (I saw footage of a couple of the Vita and 3DS games in a couple Classic Game Room videos, plus some footage of Peach Beach Splash on a Twitch stream, and that's about it)... but if we do get a character from that series...

...I want the character that, like Joker, brings us yet another step closer to having JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in Smash.
She should have her Grandmother as an echo:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
This would probably be the roster if I made cuts.
:ultmario:(:ultdoc:Alt):ultluigi::ultpeach:(:ultdaisy:Alt):ultbowser::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultmarth:(:ultlucina: Alt):ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth::ultsamus::ultzss::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultfalcon:
:ultpit:(:ultdarkpit:Alt):ultpalutena::ultness::ultlucas::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultduckhunt::ultrob:
:ulticeclimbers::ultolimar:(:ultalph: Alt):ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::ultsonic::ultbayonetta:
:ultjoker::ultsimon:(:ultrichter: Alt):ultsnake::ult_terry::ultmegaman::ultryu:(:ultken: Alt):ultpacman::ulthero::ultcloud::ultbanjokazooie:
(:ultmiifighters:If Miis continue to be a thing.)

Pichu would get more basic moves to line up better with being a baby Pokemon
Falco would have better air game than he has already and different specials. Same with Wolf, but with a heavyweight leaning instead of air game.
Dark Samus gets moves more like her Assist Trophy self in SSB4.
Lucas would get different specials to separate him from Ness.
I'd do away with Mii classes and just less them copy the fighting styles of other humanoid characters with guns/swords being added accordingly.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Assuming the next Smash is cutting a good chunck of characters, and 3rd parties along with them.
There are three 3rd party I can't accept getting cut off:
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
Its not whether you like their series or not, they should totally keep being part of Smash Bros.
I don't think I need to explain why.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Everyone is safely guaranteed to return in the next Smash. It's just a matter of who is going to be DLC and who is going to be in the base game's roster.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Roster with cuts ?? I imagine sonething like this:

1) Mario
2) Link
3) Donkey Kong
4) Samus
5) Yoshi
6) Pikachu
7) Fox
8) Kirby
9) Luigi
10) Captain Falcon

Melee
11) Peach
12) Bowser
13) Zelda
14) Ganandorf
15) Marth
16) Mewtwo

Brawl
17) Meta Knight
18) King Dedede
19) Wolf
20) Sonic
21) Diddy Kong
22) Wario
23) Pit
24) Olimar
25) Lucario

4 + DLC
26) Villager
27) Megaman or Ryu
28) Little Mac
29) Greninja
30) Pac-Man
31) Shulk
32) Robin
33) Bayonetta

Ultimate + DLC
34) Inkling
35) Ridley
36) King K Rool
37) Incineroar
39) Isabelle
40) Banjo-Kazooie
41) Byleth
42) FP2 fighter
43) FP2 fighter

Then we will get 8-12 new fighters. 55 fighters for a reboot game would be very good.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Everyone is safely guaranteed to return in the next Smash. It's just a matter of who is going to be DLC and who is going to be in the base game's roster.
I wouldn't go that far, there's always going to be some wrinkles in the process of getting everyone back and even with Ultimate Sakurai said it wasn't easy and barely happened. So the next game with even more veterans is going to be more difficult. It's especially the case when you consider third parties as they're an outside group whose relationship and demands may not always line up with what's best for the development of the game, so if something goes wrong there then any of those characters can fall to the wayside.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Honestly speaking I think I overrate Crash's chances a little bit. Yeah, he is a big icon; and is decently well requested, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decides to skimp out on him.

Crash is first and foremost, a playstation icon. Playstation is definitely Nintendo's biggest competitor at this point in time. Sony likely has some form of exclusivity deals going on with Activision going on. Remember that the Crash remaster was exclusive to Playstation for exactly an entire year before being released anywhere else.

While Crash racing wasn't a timed exclusive, it still had plenty of content for playstation exclusively.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a deal with Activision that all Crash console game appearances need to be on Playstation. This is hypothetical, of course. But even on top of that I wouldn't be surprised if the next Crash platformer ends up being a timed exclusive for PS5 launch.

If Nintendo is truly making the choices, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide Crash is too heavily linked to PS and a risky character to cross over with.

I know we have some other heavily playstation related characters like Snake, Cloud, and Joker. But those characters are definitely bigger in Japan compared to the Bandicoot nowadays. And 2 out of 3 of those weren't chosen by Nintendo but rather Sakurai.

Banjo is in a different camp because Microsoft is more then willing to play ball with Nintendo. Their relationship is actually pretty great right now, and I think Microsoft knows that they can't really compete with Nintendo in Japan at this point.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I see you are a man of culture as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai keeps emphasizing this likely being the only game where all Smash characters are playable for a reason.

Yes, Sakurai can port material from Ultimate, but we're still looking at over 80 characters. That's a lot of work, and then to add more newcomers on top of that? Sakurai was only able to add six new unique characters in the base game. The next game won't be any easier on him.

In addition, it'll be very expensive and difficult to keep every third-party. We currently have eight third-party companies involved, and I have a feeling that number could go up in this pass.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Assuming the next Smash is cutting a good chunck of characters, and 3rd parties along with them.
There are three 3rd party I can't accept getting cut off:
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
Its not whether you like their series or not, they should totally keep being part of Smash Bros.
I don't think I need to explain why.
I don't want Megaman leaving smash until we get some battle network and Legends tracks in the ost.

The lack of songs from those 2 when X, Zero and Starforce got music annoys me.

Thankfully Capcom is so easy to work with that he will probably be a permanent member of the cast.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Honestly speaking I think I overrate Crash's chances a little bit. Yeah, he is a big icon; and is decently well requested, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decides to skimp out on him.

Crash is first and foremost, a playstation icon. Playstation is definitely Nintendo's biggest competitor at this point in time. Sony likely has some form of exclusivity deals going on with Activision going on. Remember that the Crash remaster was exclusive to Playstation for exactly an entire year before being released anywhere else.

While Crash racing wasn't a timed exclusive, it still had plenty of content for playstation exclusively.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a deal with Activision that all Crash console game appearances need to be on Playstation. This is hypothetical, of course. But even on top of that I wouldn't be surprised if the next Crash platformer ends up being a timed exclusive for PS5 launch.

If Nintendo is truly making the choices, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide Crash is too heavily linked to PS and a risky character to cross over with.

I know we have some other heavily playstation related characters like Snake, Cloud, and Joker. But those characters are definitely bigger in Japan compared to the Bandicoot nowadays. And 2 out of 3 of those weren't chosen by Nintendo but rather Sakurai.

Banjo is in a different camp because Microsoft is more then willing to play ball with Nintendo. Their relationship is actually pretty great right now, and I think Microsoft knows that they can't really compete with Nintendo in Japan at this point.
Well, first off, Crash is obviously multi-plat now since both his recent games have been on Switch, whether or not Sony had an exclusivity deal.
And secondly, Sony isn't making Crash's decisions, neither is Naughty Dog. Activision is making that choice.
Activision would obviously be more than happy to get Crash in. My concern is would Crash resonate with Japan? They even had to change his PS1 cover art to get him released over there, so I have doubts whether he'd come across the same way to the eastern market.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

... I mean, at the end of the day, Crash still has a presence on multiple consoles and isn't exclusively tied to PlayStation anymore. Even before N. Sane Trilogy, the series still had plenty of entries on Nintendo and Xbox systems. Yes, Crash is a PlayStation icon, no doubt about it, and the PlayStation consoles might get priority or extra goodies because of that, but whatever exclusivity deals they have in place certainly aren't preventing releases on other consoles, and I doubt Nintendo minds that Crash is a PlayStation icon, considering they went with Joker of all characters when they could've gone with someone else with more "Nintendo association" (popularity in Japan is completely irrelevant, because at the end of the day, Nintendo still went with a character heavily associated with the PlayStation brand). I don't see how being more associated with PlayStation without being exclusive to those systems will ...

... unless maybe Sony is secretly developing PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 with Crash as part of its roster, and they also have a behind-the-scenes deal with Activision that prevents Crash from being licensed out to other games like Smash and Brawlhalla until their own game releases... but that's getting into tinfoil-hat territory at that point.

My concern is would Crash resonate with Japan? They even had to change his PS1 cover art to get him released over there, so I have doubts whether he'd come across the same way to the eastern market.
I assume Crash would mostly be received similar to Banjo-Kazooie, mainly picked for getting Western fans excited but still being rather positively received by Japanese fans.

In fact, his more cutesy designs on the Japanese cover art would make for a neat R.O.B.-style alt, with whichever one being the default changing based on the region.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I really don’t think Nintendo would see it as “risky” to crossover with Crash when the most that could happen based on that is is that Activision would be required to say no. Nintendo isn’t really competing with Sony in the same way that Sony and Microsoft are competing with each other, anyway, so I don’t think Nintendo would care as much if they kind of indirectly advertised the PlayStation by doing this.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Maybe we're getting 6 instead of 5 this time because Activision said to bring Crash AND Spyro. ^^
I don’t think Nintendo would care as much if they kind of indirectly advertised the PlayStation by doing this.
Literally advertised the Xbox in Banjo's presentation.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh look, we're on page 2401.

The year TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect take place in.

Yeah! Time to Split!

Time to split am I right fellas.gif

Cortez is coming!

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Maybe we're getting 6 instead of 5 this time because Activision said to bring Crash AND Spyro. ^^

Literally advertised the Xbox in Banjo's presentation.
I didn’t bring that up since it’s already more obvious that Nintendo and Microsoft are on good terms; their relations with Sony are more up in the air.

Sony does seem more willing to play ball with the other companies more recently, though, due to more games having crossplay with the other consoles more recently.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pretty much the understatement of the century I'd say, haha. Now if only they can make a better MvC game than Infinite or a new Darkstalkers game...
Hunh...if they made a new Darkstalkers using ArcSys's new art style...my god...

People foolishly hoping that "Everyone is here" will eventually become "Everyone that doesn't make you butthurt is here".
No, people were just playing a game cause they were bored. But thanks for summarizing a conversation you didn't bother to read in a negative light.

Man, it's a good thing you're not director.
Are you really going to try and pretend that he's wrong and Lucina, Roy and Chrom aren't all Marth clones?

that is the the grossest and creepiest **** I have ever seen. W H Y is there a little girl there
Hello there. I'd like to introduce you to a place called Japan.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Exhibit A as to why I'm convinced a darkhorse with a sword will cause an upset
View attachment 264102
>Skylanders is on there
Spyro confirmed

Well, first off, Crash is obviously multi-plat now since both his recent games have been on Switch, whether or not Sony had an exclusivity deal.
And secondly, Sony isn't making Crash's decisions, neither is Naughty Dog. Activision is making that choice.
Activision would obviously be more than happy to get Crash in. My concern is would Crash resonate with Japan? They even had to change his PS1 cover art to get him released over there, so I have doubts whether he'd come across the same way to the eastern market.
Simple. Make his Japanese design the default.

I didn’t bring that up since it’s already more obvious that Nintendo and Microsoft are on good terms; their relations with Sony are more up in the air.

Sony does seem more willing to play ball with the other companies more recently, though, due to more games having crossplay with the other consoles more recently.
f sony let a character in smash I want Parappa music.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

This seems absolutely silly. Crash is 100% Activision's and I sincerely doubt Nintendo is that petty about Crash being tied to PS. They had no problem bringing a character whose main game hasn't and will most likely never be playable on anything that isn't Playstation as DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t really care who it is, but I hope we get a cute character in the fighter pass, I just really like cute characters like :ultisabelle:.

If you had to pick a character that fits under the label of“Cute”, who would you pick?
Veemo!

1582915894452.jpeg

they’re so precious uwu

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Exhibit A as to why I'm convinced a darkhorse with a sword will cause an upset
View attachment 264102
This both pleases me and horrifies me. Pleases me because it means Fate in Smash could be a bit more likely to happen than people think but horrifies me of the inevitably salty reactions if Saber somehow gets in Smash. You know there will be many upset people if that happened.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We still have way too many Gen 1 Pokemon, so I wouldn't mind Trainer and Puff being cut.
No.

A Pokémon is a Pokémon regardless of which generation it is from.

What difference does it make?

How would Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar be any different if they debuted in the first generation?

How would Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard be any different if they debuted in later generations?

Meowth & Team Rocket for Smash! :052::023::109:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
my roster with cuts:

1. remove every single character from the game except donkey kong and diddy kong
2. add: dixie kong, chunky kong, lankey kong, crankey kong, funky kong, baboom, baby baboom (grookey), teen baboom (thwakey), dark baboom (zarude), fire baboom (infernape), proto baboom (simisage), aiai, winston, the monkey watch monkey from rhythm heaven, guybrush threepwood (fits in on a technicality since he's from monkey island), and the ape escape apes
3. rename the game "super baboom bros"
4. smash is saved. the roster is fair and balanced because everyone is infused with the winning spirit of baboom, although baboom still remains at the top because his winning ability is still top-tier

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
if i were to cut the roster id cut everything

there is no roster

there is no smash bros

you should've been happy with what you got but you wanted more

no more

no more smash bros

no more nintendo

no more video games

go read a book or something i dont know and i dont care

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Activision's relationship with Nintendo is decent enough to get both DK and Bowser into Skylanders, and get a Diablo amiibo plus Zelda stuff into the Diablo 3 port. They get along just fine.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No.

A Pokémon is a Pokémon regardless of which generation it is from.

What difference does it make?

How would Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar be any different if they debuted in the first generation?

How would Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard be any different if they debuted in later generations?

Meowth & Team Rocket for Smash! :052::023::109:
Bruh people are just tired of how Gen 1 is constantly pushed for literally everything for new games as seen with regional variants being a gen 1 exclusive thing until SwoShi which only gave 2 non gen 1 regional variants

P.Kat

Smash Champion
if i were to cut the roster id cut everything

there is no roster

there is no smash bros

you should've been happy with what you got but you wanted more

no more

no more smash bros

no more nintendo

no more video games

go read a book or something i dont know and i dont care
Thanos now cowers in fear of you. No balance, no equilibrium, nothing but the void, as you intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom