• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whenever cuts come up it's a tricky thing for me. I just never talk about third party cuts at all because licensing is even more complicated lol.

But as much as I love Everyone is Here, there's honestly only 45 out of the 68 first party characters that I'd be upset to lose. The remaining 23 wouldn't really affect me much.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultpit::ultpalutena::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt:
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultbyleth::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultfalcon:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling:
Glad to see that everyone is choosing the chad Chrom over the virgin Roy :secretkpop:

Of the original 12. I find:ultfox::ultness:and:ultfalcon:to be the most likely ones to go.
Cutting Falcon? You ****ing madman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's Roy's moveset with a cooler up-b, just make Chrom a semiclone and can Roy to shoot him back to his trash harem game.
Roy's moveset is basically Marth's moveset but more built around power. Chrom's moveset is basically Roy's moveset but with an up-b. Ergo, I connecting Chrom to Marth and choosing the one I want most while not keeping clones.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I don’t really care who it is, but I hope we get a cute character in the fighter pass, I just really like cute characters like :ultisabelle:.

If you had to pick a character that fits under the label of“Cute”, who would you pick?
A sentient unicycle is cute, right?
How the hell is he holding that
Just like Kirby. He stabs stuff into his nubblyarmbit.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The issue is that Chrom and Marth literally can't share a moveset and have it fit both characters. The two fight differently in Smash for very good reasons.

D

Deleted member

One strong argument people at Discord tend to tell me to calm down with my Samus cut fear is that Nintendo seemingly likes to keep the characters featured on the rosters of the first titles in their series such as Mario Kart or F-Zero.

And while that is a really good argument, there's a minor detail that does concern me about It:

The fact that DK Junior was in the first Mario Kart but hasn't returned ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
One strong argument people at Discord tend to tell me to calm down with my Samus cut fear is that Nintendo seemingly likes to keep the characters featured on the rosters of the first titles in their series such as Mario Kart or F-Zero.

And while that is a really good argument, there's a minor detail that does concern me about It:

The fact that DK Junior was in the first Mario Kart but hasn't returned ever since.
Mario Kart and Smash are entirely different beasts

D

Deleted member

The issue is that Chrom and Marth literally can't share a moveset and have it fit both characters. The two fight differently in Smash for very good reasons.
Sacrifices must be made because I only had 30 characters to work with. They both canonically wield the same sword and it doesn't take much stretch of the imagination to make them share the same neutral moves.

Besides, it's not like Dark Samus is an accurate portrayal of how it is in Metroid Prime.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You do realize what happened to DK Jr., right? Now he's just Donkey Kong. :4dk:or he's jr's kid and jr is a deadbeat dad idk

That's different.

King K. Rool is of an still active franchise. Outside of Smash F-Zero has since been dead.
F-Zero is continuously homaged through other franchises, it lives on in spirit. It's not like Golden Sun where Nintendo never speaks of it again.

You wish Retro acknowledged the existence of K. Rool.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
F-Zero is continuously homaged through other franchises, it lives on in spirit. It's not like Golden Sun where Nintendo never speaks of it again.

Maybe but don't expect to see another F-Zero game unless there's massive fan demand to the levels of K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And that it is. Otherwise don't expect to see another F-Zero game again.
You don't need continuous successors in a series to be in Smash and continue to live on, assuming the asinine theory that they're gonna reboot is even plausible in the slightest. Smash literally made Captain Falcon who he is today, or at least back in 2001 at the latest.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You also do realize that's because Nintendo notably Miyamoto said no to K. Rool and so they had to come up with their own enemies. If not for that chances are K. Rool wouldn't had been irrelevant for an decade.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You also do realize that's because Nintendo notably Miyamoto said no to K. Rool and so they had to come up with their own enemies. If not for that chances are K. Rool wouldn't had been irrelevant for an decade.
Miyamoto says no to F-Zero because of no gimmicks to come up with, and yet here they both are. Fan demand wants them, you cut Falcon and there's riots of hell gonna be going on out there. I'm only using K. Rool as an analogy here because he's in a similar position.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Miyamoto says no to F-Zero because of no gimmicks to come up with, and yet here they both are. Fan demand wants them, you cut Falcon and there's riots of hell gonna be going on out there.
Fair point I never really thought of that. I just presume of the original 12 he'd be among those given his franchise has been dead for 20 years.

In that case only:ultness:and:ultfox:would probably go.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
You do realize what happened to DK Jr., right? Now he's just Donkey Kong. :4dk:or he's jr's kid and jr is a deadbeat dad idk
According to Retro, Modern DK is Jr.'s son. According to Rare, he is Jr.

Also, Super Mario RPG had some enslaved Kongs that Mario and the crew defeat...
Donkey Kong Jr. found dead in the Forest Maze on March 10th, 1996.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Captain Falcon is basically Mr Smash at this point - his actual series being dead means he's more synonymous with the Smash Bros series; he isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Kinda wonder if Falcon is so popular especially among Smash I wonder why fans haven't been clamoring for an new F-Zero game...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm not a big fan of the "cut characters" topic, but if I had throw in my two cents on which characters may or may not get cut...
  • Clones/Semi-clones that could either be "demoted" to an alternate costume (so that they're still playable to some degree, just not as separate characters) or cut completely (with any clones not listed here presumably staying, either as they are or being changed to be more unique)...
    • :ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultdoc::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultroy:
  • Third-party characters that may be cut if their company decides not to play ball again...
    • :ultcloud::ulthero::ultrichter::ultsimon::ultsnake:
  • May get cut depending on how the next Nintendo system supports player avatar customization...
    • :ultmiifighters:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not a big fan of the "cut characters" topic, but if I had throw in my two cents on which characters may or may not get cut...
  • Clones/Semi-clones that could either be "demoted" to an alternate costume (so that they're still playable to some degree, just not as separate characters) or cut completely (with any clones not listed here presumably staying, either as they are or being changed to be more unique)...
    • :ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultdoc::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultroy:
Agree with everything else except for Daisy and maybe Dark Samus since the latter got in due to demand in the West.

D

Deleted member

Ok, so thankfully Will and Schnee have managed to help me overcome a bit my Samus cut fear.

I suppose that if a new director does take over the series they would keep the original 12 for traditional purposes.

So It 99% seems that Samus will likely stay.

In regards to F-Zero: I feel the franchise could still return seeing how the Switch era has brought many old franchises such as Metroid or even Famicom Detective Club back.

D

Deleted member

Wanting a Senran Kagura character because they'd be a woman is like how white women on twitter go "yaaaas queeeen iconic" at Margaret Thatcher
For curiosity sake, I looked up Senran Kagura and I hate it already.

Thanks Gwen. You brought this upon me.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Agree with everything else except for Daisy and maybe Dark Samus since the latter got in due to demand in the West.
Of the clone characters I listed, I don't see either of them being cut, but I do think it's likely they'll get the alternate costume treatment come Smash 6.

Daisy literally plays almost the exact same as Peach, with the only difference I believe being a slightly smaller hitbox, and when it was found out there was a more substantial difference regarding their Down Special's knockback, the devs patched it out.

As for Dark Samus, she too plays very similarly to regular Samus. Granted, she's not nearly identical like Daisy is, but I could still see her ending up being an alternate costume with different animations and some changes to make her attacks identical. Either that, or she gets cut completely, or she ends up one of the lucky clones who stays and gets altered to be more unique.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I feel like anyone that isn't a Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon character's getting cut. Even the characters from said flagship games aren't safe from getting cut. I don't even want to talk about FE on this one...Either way, doesn't it just seem too soon to talk about a next Smash? What can you even do after exhausting EVERYTHING to Ultimate?

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
As someone who played Senran Kagura, I've seen way worse than that. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though.

But to me it's just your typical fanservicey Japanese video game shlock with... a surprising amount of effort into the gameplay. Like way better than it has any right to be.

But I doubt Senran Kagura will even get a spirit, let alone other content unless they find a really tame picture of Asuka and even then, it may cause some backlash since some people really despise Senran Kagura. I know some people got pissy over Blazblue Cross Tag Battle having Yumi in it and some dropped the game. those may be more extreme actions, though.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
As someone who played Senran Kagura, I've seen way worse than that. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though.

But to me it's just your typical fanservicey Japanese video game shlock with... a surprising amount of effort into the gameplay. Like way better than it has any right to be.

But I doubt Senran Kagura will even get a spirit, let alone other content unless they find a really tame picture of Asuka and even then, it may cause some backlash since some people really despise Senran Kagura. I know some people got pissy over Blazblue Cross Tag Battle having Yumi in it and some dropped the game. those may be more extreme actions, though.
It was better Yumi get in rather then one of the minors as much as I hate how SK is in cross tag

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
While we're on the table of cuts, Falcon would only be cut in a 20 character roster, at that point I don't think there's room for him. 30+ or above, he stays. For Puff, I would cut Puff in a sub 40 roster, but any higher than that and it stays too.

If, say, next time has 64 playable characters, split across 50 veterans and 14 newcomers, there's room for Puff and Falcon. Otherwise, my priority is to keep as many important to all of gaming rosters as I can. For what it's worth, they'd at least live on as Pokéball Pokémon or Assist Trophies, or only be cut base game and brought back as DLC. (Actually, if a cut veteran was present as a Pokéball Pokémon or Assist Trophy (or, in the case of Bowser/Mewtwo/Ganondorf/etc..., a boss fight), what would people think of that?)

But let's drop the topic of cuts, here's this instead.

Alright, here's another one of those topics where we pick 6 characters. Once again, it's gameplay focused, but now I want you to think of these types of Fighters.
  1. Somebody who focuses mostly on offensive play; get in your opponents face, and overwhelm them with attacks before they get a chance to fight back.
  2. Somebody who focuses mostly on defensive play; the best offense is a good defense, after all.
  3. Somebody who has a mostly even split between the two; it is a combination of both that allows you to win.
  4. Somebody who comes with a stage that is competitively viable, at least when it comes to hazardless.
  5. Somebody who has a very large Spirit Board, essentially being the Terry of Spirits.
  6. Somebody who has a Classic Mode where the final boss is Giga Bowser.
Even I'm struggling to come up with some things for these, so it's a very tricky board.

For what it's worth, for 1 I have Lloyd Irving, for 2 Crash Bandicoot, for 3 Ryu Hayabusa, for 4 this is rather tricky to do without resorting to an Animal Crossing character, but I think Paper Mario could come with a stage that is viable (through the Battle Screen). For 5, Arle Nadja with either 24 or 48 Spirits. And for 6, a Galarian Pokémon, who would fight all Giant opponents to reference Dynamaxing (while Giga Bowser references Gigantamaxing).

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
For curiosity sake, I looked up Senran Kagura and I hate it already.

Thanks Gwen. You brought this upon me.
Wait some people don't know about Senran Kagura? It has a reputation of being anime tiddies: the game. It surprisingly isn't that bad in its hack and slash gameplay though.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm not very familiar with the Senran Kagura series (I saw footage of a couple of the Vita and 3DS games in a couple Classic Game Room videos, plus some footage of Peach Beach Splash on a Twitch stream, and that's about it)... but if we do get a character from that series...

...I want the character that, like Joker, brings us yet another step closer to having JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom