• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Keep in mind with Mewtwo though he was planned to return for Brawl but was cut due to time constraints.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If there are cuts in the next game we can probably agree that:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultsnake:and:ultyounglink:are at least going. Though with Dr. Mario and Dark Pit I can at least see them being degraded to costumes for:ultmario:and:ultpit:.
No? Speak for yourself.

I can't see Dark Pit getting cut with how similar he is to Pit. Snake also depends on how Konami's relationship with Nintendo will be in the future but I wouldn't say he's definitely going to be cut.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No? Speak for yourself.

I can't see Dark Pit getting cut with how similar he is to Pit. Snake also depends on how Konami's relationship with Nintendo will be in the future but I wouldn't say he's definitely going to be cut.
I just presumed Snake given how Konami was during Sm4sh's development and why he didn't return for DLC and only agreed on Ultimate being the biggest gaming crossover or at least something around there.

Others I forgot to mention I see being cut are:ultcloud:and:ulttoonlink:.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just presumed Snake given how Konami was during Sm4sh's development and why he didn't return for DLC and only agreed on Ultimate being the biggest gaming crossover or at least something around there.
If you presume Snake then you have to presume Simon and Richter as well

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
top 10 charcters i hope get cut in next smash game

1. pikachu
too many old pokemon
2. link
hes just like marth. look at that sword!
3. captain falcon
i dont know who he is
4. bowser
my brother keeps beating me with him. **** you kyle
5. mii swordfighter
only swordfighter. brawler and gunenr arent fe trash
6. bayonetta
mom grounds me whenever she sees bayonetta in the game
7. megam an
how do i play as him
8. riter
he looks just like roy
9. pit
hes not cool like dark pit
10. joker
this isnt joker from batman why did sakuray do this

thank u for watching

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Instead of cuts I’d rather they just reboot the whole thing with a main 8 with 4 unlocks and evolve the gameplay it make it have more depth/mechanics and focus on an epic single player crossover adventure story having a subspace that actually has a ton of stuff from the various Nintendo franchises and invoke their gameplay as well.

I’d say the roster would be
Mario, link, pikachu, inkling, Donkey Kong, Marth, villager, Luigi, Yoshi, fox, Samus, Kirby

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Instead of cuts I’d rather they just reboot the whole thing with a main 8 with 4 unlocks and evolve the gameplay it make it have more depth/mechanics and focus on an epic single player crossover adventure story having a subspace that actually has a ton of stuff from the various Nintendo franchises and invoke their gameplay as well.

I’d say the roster would be
Mario, link, pikachu, inkling, Donkey Kong, Marth, villager, Luigi, Yoshi, fox, Samus, Kirby
Good idea I'll share too.

:ultluigi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultinkling:
:ultmarth::ultkirby::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultisabelle:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don’t really care for cut talk in a future game since the Smash game after ultimate could take a very long time, too many variables to consider with that time frame.

But one thing I did think would be interesting is if some characters were “condensed”, especially if there’s some gameplay changes with a sequel.

For example, :ultdk::ultdiddy: could be one character with Diddy riding on DK’s back like in Tropical Freeze.

To simulate the pair-up mechanic of Awakening and have all the main protagonists, you could could have a three for one fighter with :ultrobin: but he summons in both :ultlucina::ultchrom: to do assist attacks as apart of their move set.

Faso115

Smash Lord
When i said talking about cuts i was joking.

Jeez we really have nothing better to do

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If there are cuts in the next game we can probably agree that:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultsnake:and:ultyounglink:are at least going. Though with Dr. Mario and Dark Pit I can at least see them being degraded to costumes for:ultmario:and:ultpit:.
I'm not sure if having the list be nothing but clones was intentional or not. I'm guessing not, since you didn't include Mewtwo, but I found it kind of funny.

Also, cutting Snake? How dare you. (I agree that he's not super-likely to return, unless he gets brought back with the Belmonts, but he was my main in Brawl. He might be my Ultimate main as well, but there are a lot of characters competing for that spot)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only third parties I see getting cut are the Square boys and maybe banjo.

The other third parties seemed like they really wanted to contribute to smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only third parties I see getting cut are the Square boys and maybe banjo.

The other third parties seemed like they really wanted to contribute to smash.
I could potentially see Banjo staying depending how Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship continues to go.

That and he was one of the most heavily long requested characters alongside:ultkrool:and:ultridley:.

Of course we'll only find out when Smash 6 comes at that point but I got a good feeling those three are staying for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Legends claim that if you say "Mewtwo was meant to be in Brawl but got cut" three times in a row free pizza will come to your house.

Regarding cuts: It is a topic I dislike since It always ends bad in any place It gets debated and in reality we can't be sure about who would get the cut at all since the Smash team isn't easy to predict.

And honestly, I don't know who I would cut because I just like the whole roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And honestly, I don't know who I would cut because I just like the whole roster.
One of the reasons why I'd rather they just keep porting Ultimate with new additional characters.

Only obstacle is the licensing of 3rd parties:ultcloud::ulthero::ultsimon::ultrichter:and:ultsnake:notably.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Compared to others, 3000+ participants is a pretty notable size. Could be bigger, but no poll is getting over 10000 participants unless someone like Alpharad runs it themselves.
On the other hand, the great Tulio Triviño has over 15000 votes and counting
Goku? Get out of here, we all know the true 4th party rep

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean Banjo's moveset is nothing special, it's pretty standard, but I think the sword argument comes from Fire Emblem specifically just being REALLY saturated, especially when compared to Pokemon and Zelda. Fire Emblem just isn't as big a franchise as Smash would have you believe.
I get your point, all the sword discussion began because of Fire Emblem characters. But characters like Hero, Cloud and to a lesser extent Joker were also criticized for being "another swordfighter", despite of being from different franchises and having completely fighting styles. That's clearly a point where we can see that a large group of the community will always react negatively to these characters because of 1. anime or 2. because they have a stupid obsession with swords.
What maybe started as a joke now it's hypocrisy and irrational hatred at it's finest, if you ask me. It's honestly very tiring, not only because of the complaints, also because most of times you can tell who doesn't know anything about these characters and who really knows, so it's easy to see that most of the complaints come from ignorance.

The Fire Emblem drama was a mixup of having some semi-clones (Lucina, Roy) and unique newcomers (Robin, Corrin) in one game. 3 new Fire Emblem characters to the series and 1 returning veteran. In my opinion, the discussion and all the debate about FE characters is understandable, my main problem is that people bring that controversy to any characters who uses a sword or fighters with an anime aesthetic.
I'd like to think that if Fire Emblem was a series of cartoony or chibi characters with a non-anime aesthetic the complaints would be still there, but we all know that wouldn't be the case. At that point is pretty much obvious that a good amount of the complaints come from people who simply don't like anything anime related, and all this drama is a good excuse for them to bash these kind of characters that they're not very fond of. This doesn't apply to all people who don't want more FE characters, of course.

In other words, if Fire Emblem was truly the only problem for them, then I don't get why pretty much all anime influenced characters receive complaints. I would like to think that it's just a coincidence, but after some years of being around Smash speculation here and there it's impossible to see it that way.
Yeah, Fire Emblem isn't as big as Pokémon, but I don't think character representation should be according to the size of the franchise. Chrom, Lucina and Roy wouldn't be in the roster if they had to be unique characters, they're easy additions such as Dr. Mario, Toon Link or Dark Pit. And in case you ask, I wouldn't have chose Byleth if I was Nintendo. I wasn't a supporter of the character before the reveal.

Ironically, I'm so so confident that if they had to choose which FE characters they would keep Marth, Roy and Lucina would dominate lol

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think Pokemon would get as many cuts as people expect.

The orginal two aren't leaving – you can go ahead and write that down. Mewtwo's popularity resurfaced after XY, as did the efforts to promote it, so it's probably a higher priority now. Pokemon Trainer is a really popular and unique character, and he has no reason to be cut as long as handhelds aren't part of the equation. Lucario is Lucario; it's constantly getting promoted.

The only characters that I'm not completely comfortable with are Pichu, Greninja, and Incineroar, but I can think of some good reasons for all three to stay. Still, they're the only ones outside Squirtle and Ivysaur who haven't been playable in 3 or more games, and I believe characters are deemed higher priority if they've been in Smash for a long time.

D

Deleted member

So I'm going to make a roster of 30 returning veterans. Fair warning, I'm not thinking of the best interests for everybody.

:ultmario: A Smash Bros game without Mario is physically impossible. He's also a decent all-rounder with combo potential and disrespect options. He stays.
:ultdk:He's the closest thing to Baboom we're getting
:ultlink: BOTW Link is a genius recreation of that green dude we used to always see in Smash. All of his tools are decent and he has a good skill ceiling.
:ultkirby: Casual God
:ultfox:Make him Melee fox
:ultfalcon:Falcon Punch stays or Smash dies
:ultbowser:Bowser is so good now I want him to stay.
:ultzelda:They made her really enjoyable now so I wouldn't mind keeping her.
:ultganondorf:Triforce of POOOOOWEEEERRR plus he's a god of disrespect.
:ultmarth:(:ultchrom: )Marth is the face of the Fire Emblem series so of course he stays. Chrom becomes an alt because he honestly is just slightly gruffer Marth. Also give Marth Chrom's moveset.
:ultmetaknight:Make him Brawl Meta Knight
:ultsnake:Snake is fun as Hell
:ultpokemontrainer:The actual embodiment of what Pokemon is about. Plus he's fun as hell.
:ultwolf:Wolf is the only Star Fox character I care about, because he's fun. He can disrespect, zone, and he's a hard hitter.
:ultvillager: Animal Crossing New Horizons hype. Plus he's fun for parties.
:ultlittlemac:Keep him but make him an air fighter.
:ultryu:I don't particularly like Ryu as a character, but I love Street Fighter.
:ultcloud:Cloud is fun as Hell
:ultkrool:The only DKC character I care about.
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry: All of these were fun as Hell characters.
:ultinkling:Sure keep the hip Squid kids.
:ultsonic:Keep him but make him funner.
:ultmegaman:Of course Megaman stays
:ultpacman:Of course Pacman stays.
:ultmiifighters:The miis stay. They allow me to make any OC I want and put them in Smash.
:ultsimon:Sure. Keep Castlevania in Smash.
:ultrobin:Make Robin more busted and I'm all for him returning.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don’t really care who it is, but I hope we get a cute character in the fighter pass, I just really like cute characters like :ultisabelle:.

If you had to pick a character that fits under the label of“Cute”, who would you pick?

D

Deleted member

The thought of Samus getting cut in a future Smash game is a genuine fear I have.

Some people may claim that it is impossible to happen... But have you seen the character cuts done in the Mario Kart franchise?

The fact I could imagine Nintendo pulling cuts at the level of Mario Kart with Smash and replacing characters I like such as Samus to add Baby Metal Link instead does concern me.

I don’t really care who it is, but I hope we get a cute character in the fighter pass, I just really like cute characters like :ultisabelle:.

If you had to pick a character that fits under the label of“Cute”, who would you pick?
The Baby Metroid from Super Metroid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Some people may claim that it is impossible to happen... But have you seen the character cuts done in the Mario Kart franchise?
Dude if they refuse to cut Jigglypuff what makes you think they'll cut Samus? You're comparing two different beasts and two different directors.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's in the best interests of yourself that you don't for speaking such heresy.
Marth's tipper is too annoying for my puny brain. Chrom sword just naturally ****s the hell out of people without spacing issues and it's basically already Marth's moveset but with a cooler up-b

D

Deleted member

Dude if they refuse to cut Jigglypuff what makes you think they'll cut Samus?
That's a good argument.

Doh the Mario Kart games have cut Diddy Kong and even Waluigi in Mario Kart 7, so I don't know.

It is better to be positive doh.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Marth's tipper is too annoying for my puny brain. Chrom sword just naturally ****s the hell out of people without spacing issues and it's basically already Marth's moveset but with a cooler up-b
It's Roy's moveset with a cooler up-b, just make Chrom a semiclone and can Roy to shoot him back to his trash harem game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Whenever cuts come up it's a tricky thing for me. I just never talk about third party cuts at all because licensing is even more complicated lol.

But as much as I love Everyone is Here, there's honestly only 45 out of the 68 first party characters that I'd be upset to lose. The remaining 23 wouldn't really affect me much.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultpit::ultpalutena::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt:
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultbyleth::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultfalcon:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom