• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if i were to cut the roster id cut everything

there is no roster

there is no smash bros

you should've been happy with what you got but you wanted more

no more

no more smash bros

no more nintendo

no more video games

go read a book or something i dont know and i dont care
:nessecho:: hey there buddy chum pal friend buddy pal chum bud friend fella bruther amigo pal buddy friend chummy chum chum pal i don't mean to be rude my friend pal home slice bread slice dawg but i gotta warn ya...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bruh people are just tired of how Gen 1 is constantly pushed for literally everything for new games as seen with regional variants being a gen 1 exclusive thing until SwoShi which only gave 2 non gen 1 regional variants
Because Gen 1 sells.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't cut existing content, but it's understandable why people wouldn't want more Gen I representation. I mean, it's done well in Smash as is. Six of the ten Pokemon characters are from Gen I.

I think what Sakurai is doing now works best. Focus mostly on the latest Gens for every new Smash game and add a few small things for the Gens already represented, like how we got Abra and Scizor as Pokeball Pokemon.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Exhibit A as to why I'm convinced a darkhorse with a sword will cause an upset
View attachment 264102
I just looked up the fate and realized that I had played the first one, I never really got far in it but that game was fun it would be definitely cool to have him in smash, I now just wish he got in instead of byleth.

I know some people are talking about cuts and stuff but what if in about 5-6 years they come out with smash ultimate deluxe edition have 12 newcomers (including echos) to bring the roster up to 100 characters (again including echos) and also have a subspace emissary like story mode. Since it would be basically ultimate with more stuff it wouldn’t put as much work on Sakurai.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because Gen 1 sells.
Yeah, but variety is nice too. 90's nostalgia shouldn't be the only reason why lovers of the other generations can't have nice things.

I think what Sakurai is doing now works best. Focus mostly on the latest Gens for every new Smash game and add a few small things for the Gens already represented, like how we got Abra and Scizor as Pokeball Pokemon.
Just so long as they pick the Pokémon based off of how cool they'd be in the game rather than which one they think'd be the hot new starter.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I really don’t think Nintendo would see it as “risky” to crossover with Crash when the most that could happen based on that is is that Activision would be required to say no. Nintendo isn’t really competing with Sony in the same way that Sony and Microsoft are competing with each other, anyway, so I don’t think Nintendo would care as much if they kind of indirectly advertised the PlayStation by doing this.
Because Gen 1 sells.
They push Gen 1 because nostalgia, and if Lucario or Incineroar debuted in Gen 1 they'd probably be the Mewtwo or Charizard of the time, but no, nostalgia sells, so they push nostalgia more, perpetuating the cycle of Gen 1 becoming more and more stagnant to the point where a Gen 1 starter is the ACE for the most recent Champion in a different region!
Seriously, Pokemon in Smash needs a MAJOR rework. Is a Sceptile too much to ask? Or an Axew? Or an Obstagoon? Anything at all from the other gens?
I mean, I've got Incineroar, so I'm content, but Gen 1 is almost as overdone as Fire Emblem.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Thanos now cowers in fear of you. No balance, no equilibrium, nothing but the void, as you intended.
theres a reason i wasnt in infinity war or endgame and thats because if i was id have beaten thanos instantly

i dont need to snap to get rid of everything

i dont even know how to snap

how do i snap guys

guys how do i snap

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
theres a reason i wasnt in infinity war or endgame and thats because if i was id have beaten thanos instantly

i dont need to snap to get rid of everything

i dont even know how to snap

how do i snap guys

guys how do i snap
here you go bro, crack your knuckles first though

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Seriously, Pokemon in Smash needs a MAJOR rework.
I disagree:
  1. Pikachu is the mascot. It'd be weird if it wasn't there.
  2. Jigglypuff has fallen from relevancy, but I believe its become an important Super Smash Bros. character.
  3. Mewtwo is the most widely recognizable legendary Pokémon.
  4. Pichu is just here for poops and giggles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  5. The Pokémon Trainer is the main protagonist of each game, and I feel that they should stay even if it means the lesser liked Pokémon of Squirtle and Ivysaur also have to stay. Charizard is iconic so of course it stays.
  6. Lucario was huge in its day and is likely popular enough to survive the Pokédex cuts that each consecutive game's gonna have now.
  7. Greninja is an incredibly popular Pokémon, and while it was picked prematurely in that aspect, I'd say its earned its place.
  8. Incineroar is admittedly not that great an addition from a popularity standpoint, though it does pretty well for itself from a gameplay standpoint.
My opinion: Keep them all. Add more Pokémon not originally native to Kanto.

guys how do i snap
That's easy. You just press the take picture button.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
if i were to cut the roster id cut everything

there is no roster

there is no smash bros

you should've been happy with what you got but you wanted more

no more

no more smash bros

no more nintendo

no more video games

go read a book or something i dont know and i dont care
Calm down, Galeem.

I disagree:
  2. Jigglypuff has fallen from relevancy, but I believe its become an important Super Smash Bros. character.
  4. Pichu is just here for poops and giggles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  5. The Pokémon Trainer is the main protagonist of each game, and I feel that they should stay even if it means the lesser liked Pokémon of Squirtle and Ivysaur also have to stay. Charizard is iconic so of course it stays.
  6. Lucario was huge in its day and is likely popular enough to survive the Pokédex cuts that each consecutive game's gonna have now.
  7. Greninja is an incredibly popular Pokémon, and while it was picked prematurely in that aspect, I'd say its earned its place.
  8. Incineroar is admittedly not that great an addition from a popularity standpoint, though it does pretty well for itself from a gameplay standpoint.
Most of those I agree with, but Puff is just carried through because she was in the first game, so she's getting special treatment for no reason. She was even considered for being cut in Brawl, so she's absolutely not stable as far as her inclusion goes.
Pichu needs different moves, but hurting itself gives it mechanical difference enough, I'd say.
Trainer is also just Gen 1. If they updated them, maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but that's not the protagonist of "each game", that's the protagonist of Gen 1 games.
And we managed to go through three whole games without solo Charizard, and it shouldn't get special treatment just because it's Charizard. Knowing Nintendo though, they'd play favourites with him regardless.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, but variety is nice too. 90's nostalgia shouldn't be the only reason why lovers of the other generations can't have nice things.

Just so long as they pick the Pokémon based off of how cool they'd be in the game rather than which one they think'd be the hot new starter.
Oh... “variety”.

“Variety” as in “different generations”, not as in “different movesets”.

Because ultimately “different generations” don’t actually affect Smash gameplay like “different movesets” do.

Also, “90’s nostalgia”? You talk as if Gen 1 was only in the 1990s. We have had Gen 1 remakes in 2004 and in 2018. I think we might even have another Gen 1 remake sometime in the 2020’s. We have had Gen 1 Pokémon in new games. They aren’t going away. Even without the National PokeDex.

People who played a Pokémon game for the first time ever this year are going to know Gen 1 Pokémon regardless if they are aware they are Gen 1 or not. Because a Pokémon is a Pokémon.

What if Gengar gets in Smash as a playable character? It is in the top 10 of that Pokémon Google poll. Are people really going to be salty that Gengar got in Smash just because it’s Gen 1 and therefore not really bringing “variety” to Smash?

You said “just as long as they pick the Pokémon based off how cool they’d be in the game”. What if Gengar is very cool in Smash? What if Eevee is very cool in Smash? What if Meowth & Team Rocket is very cool in Smash? All that coolness amounts to nothing just because they are Gen 1?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Oh... “variety”.

Because ultimately “different generations” don’t actually affect Smash gameplay like “different movesets” do.

Also, “90’s nostalgia”? You talk as if Gen 1 was only in the 1990s. We have had Gen 1 remakes in 2004 and in 2018. I think we might even have another Gen 1 remake sometime in the 2020’s. We have had Gen 1 Pokémon in new games. They aren’t going away. Even without the National PokeDex.

People who played a Pokémon game for the first time ever this year are going to know Gen 1 Pokémon regardless if they are aware they are Gen 1 or not. Because a Pokémon is a Pokémon.

What if Gengar gets in Smash as a playable character? It is in the top 10 of that Pokémon Google poll. Are people really going to be salty that Gengar got in Smash just because it’s Gen 1 and therefore not really bringing “variety” to Smash?

You said “just as long as they pick the Pokémon based off how cool they’d be in the game”. What if Gengar is very cool in Smash? What if Eevee is very cool in Smash? What if Meowth & Team Rocket is very cool in Smash? All that coolness amounts to nothing just because they are Gen 1?
My dude, people are even tired of Gen 1 in the main games. It's a problem in the main series and it's a problem in Smash. And of course different Pokemon will have different movesets, that's a given... unless you're Pichu.

D

Deleted member

The best solution is no new Pokemon in Ultimate because we already got Incineroar.

SKX31

Smash Master
>PUBG is on this list

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner PlayerUnknown's dropping in Smash!
Ah, I knew that Nintendo and Sakurai were serious about the "New Worlds" stuff.

And, for that matter, expanding markets. PUBG Mobile's the big thing in India, see. To the point that Bollywood actors are using it to reach younger audiences.

It all makes perfect sense now.

:4pacman:

It ain't just the remakes. Pokemon GO got off to a massive start partly because it was really reminiscient of Gen 1. Sure, it's bigger now than it was back in mid-2016, but it was telling that suddenly Pokemon was getting that same level of attention as it got back during the G1 days. And as with any really impactful Gen 1 (Transformers being another example) Pokemon's very pop culture image doesn't really shift amongst a lot of people. No Pokemon song has overtaken "Gotta Catch 'Em All" and the main game theme (for most people) despite the former having been retired for 20 years now.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They push Gen 1 because nostalgia, and if Lucario or Incineroar debuted in Gen 1 they'd probably be the Mewtwo or Charizard of the time, but no, nostalgia sells, so they push nostalgia more, perpetuating the cycle of Gen 1 becoming more and more stagnant to the point where a Gen 1 starter is the ACE for the most recent Champion in a different region!
Seriously, Pokemon in Smash needs a MAJOR rework. Is a Sceptile too much to ask? Or an Axew? Or an Obstagoon? Anything at all from the other gens?
I mean, I've got Incineroar, so I'm content, but Gen 1 is almost as overdone as Fire Emblem.
>Implying Incineroar is anywhere near as cool as Charizard.

I get Charizard is oversaturated, but it's like that for a reason, Charizard is just cool.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
The best solution is no new Pokemon in Ultimate because we already got Incineroar.
True, although if you count SwSh's DLC as separate to the main game, we could get a DLC exclusive Pokemon. We won't get a Gen 8 Pokemon from the main game since SwSh already had its Spirit event.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I disagree:
Well *I* disagree with *you*.
Because the only thing I care about is Type coverage.

Keep:
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja

Lose:
Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Incineroar

Let's see, that gives us:
Normal
Fighting
Flying

Poison
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Steel
Fire
Water

Grass
Electric
Psychic

Ice
Dragon
Dark
Fairy

So add:
Decidueye, Garchomp, Beedrill, Lycanroc, Beartic(or if we're lucky, Gen 9 will add a really cool Ice/Rock type)

There. Pokemon done forever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True, although if you count SwSh's DLC as separate to the main game, we could get a DLC exclusive Pokemon. We won't get a Gen 8 Pokemon from the main game since SwSh already had its Spirit event.
How so? We got a very limited selection of Sword and Shield spirits. Not even the starter evolutions made it in, which are the ones Sakurai likes to use. If they wanted to add even more Sword and Shield spirits, like Gen 8 trainers or Pokemon they missed, they're more than welcome to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We have had Gen 1 remakes in 2004 and in 2018. I think we might even have another Gen 1 remake sometime in the 2020’s. We have had Gen 1 Pokémon in new games. They aren’t going away. Even without the National PokeDex.
Gee it's almost like this is exactly why gen 1 gets criticized for overexposure while every other gen gets pushed aside due to getting 2 remakes and being the only ones available in GO for the longest time

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
How so? We got a very limited selection of Sword and Shield spirits. Not even the starter evolutions made it in, which are the ones Sakurai likes to use. If they wanted to add even more Sword and Shield spirits, like Gen 8 trainers or Pokemon they missed, they're more than welcome to.
They kept back Three Houses Spirits to release them with Byleth. If they were going to add a Gen 8 Pokemon, they would've done the same with SwSh, but they didn't do that.
We only got 4 Spirits because that's the set amount for all Spirit Events, and we did in fact get the Starters, albeit their base forms.
Like I say, maybe they count the DLC separately, but the Spirit Event says to me that a Pokemon, at least from base SwSh, isn't happening.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh... “variety”.

...My comment to you was about things like regional variants since that's what you were responding to. Even in the context of Super Smash Bros. though I'd say that the focus shouldn't solely be on generation 1 for the same reason that the "hot new starter" shouldn't be the focus; it ignores a ton of great content from a bunch of the games/different areas of the games. A good balance is always best, so bring on the Mimikyu, Eevees, the Zoroarks, as well as the Gengar, the Sceptiles, and most importantly, the Dunsparces.

So what I'm saying is give me all of the Pokémon. Never stop. This is Super Pokkén Bros. now.

Well *I* disagree with *you*.
Because the only thing I care about is Type coverage.
*smiles, nods, and backs away*

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They kept back Three Houses Spirits to release them with Byleth. If they were going to add a Gen 8 Pokemon, they would've done the same with SwSh, but they didn't do that.
We only got 4 Spirits because that's the set amount for all Spirit Events, and we did in fact get the Starters, albeit their base forms.
Like I say, maybe they count the DLC separately, but the Spirit Event says to me that a Pokemon, at least from base SwSh, isn't happening.
I'm going to keep in mind that they always use the final stage of the evolution line for Smash and we got the base forms in spirit form so we could still get the final forms later down the line.

D

Deleted member

But you see, none of this disproves my point. Only 4 spirits, none of them were the Starter Evolutions (which are the ones that are actually made into characters), and even then we can still get gym leaders and the rivals for spirits.

We don't need to put a distinction between DLC and base game here. If Nintendo and Sakurai want Gen 8, they'll put it in and wont give any crap about some minimal-effort spirit event blocking off potential content. In no circumstance ever did we get a character because Nintendo wanted to advertise DLC of all things.

Tl;dr It's Gen 8 or nothing when it comes to Pokemon DLC newcomers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It ain't just the remakes. Pokemon GO got off to a massive start partly because it was really reminiscient of Gen 1. Sure, it's bigger now than it was back in mid-2016, but it was telling that suddenly Pokemon was getting that same level of attention as it got back during the G1 days.
There you go. That’s why Gen 1 sells. You said it yourself.

“Pokémon GO got off to a massive start partly because it was really reminiscent of Gen 1.”

“It was telling that suddenly Pokémon was getting that same level of attention as it got back during the G1 days”.

No wonder six Gen 1 Pokémon got in Smash as playable fighters (the mascot, the original starters, the original legendary Pokémon, and a random Pokémon that happens to be an easy-to-make Kirby clone) and why most Pokémon with regional forms, Gigantamax forms, and Mega Evolutions are Gen 1 Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Actually, the Tetris Spirit Event had 5 spirits.

D

Deleted member

There you go. That’s why Gen 1 sells. You said it yourself.

“Pokémon GO got off to a massive start partly because it was really reminiscent of Gen 1.”

“It was telling that suddenly Pokémon was getting that same level of attention as it got back during the G1 days”.

No wonder six Gen 1 Pokémon got in Smash as playable fighters (the mascot, the original starters, the original legendary Pokémon, and a random Pokémon that happens to be an easy-to-make Kirby clone) and why most Pokémon with regional forms, Gigantamax forms, and Mega Evolutions are Gen 1 Pokémon.
There's a massive disconnect between you and the people you are talking to. Nobody is saying Gen 1 doesn't sell. They're saying they hate it and it's oversaturated. That's the point people bring up. I don't know what the hell you're proving here by saying it sells well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
My dude, people are even tired of Gen 1 in the main games. It's a problem in the main series and it's a problem in Smash. And of course different Pokemon will have different movesets, that's a given... unless you're Pichu.
I think there's a lot of Gen 2 and 3 pokes that constantly get ignored that would be freaking awesome in Smash and have a great variation in movesets. A few that come to mind are:

-Scizor (one my all time favorites) It's pokeball poke, I know, but it would have been better as a fighter
-Blaziken
-Sceptile
-Sneasel/Weevile
-Umbreon

Alas, Nintendo only believes in adding hard shills (newest game pokes) or hard nostalgia (Gen 1 or Anime favorites)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They're saying they hate it and it's oversaturated.
I'm not saying I hate it!

...Just thought I'd clear that up.

I think there's a lot of Gen 2 and 3 pokes that constantly get ignored that would be freaking awesome in Smash and have a great variation in movesets. A few that come to mind are:

-Scizor (one my all time favorites) It's pokeball poke, I know, but it would have been better as a fighter
-Blaziken
-Sceptile
-Sneasel/Weevile
-Umbreon
Incidentally, all of them except Umbreon are playable in Pokkén Tournament. My point? There isn't one. I just say things most of the time.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One of the reasons gen 1 does so well is how simple the designs are, they aren't complex like later gens are (look at Incineroar for example) but are good enough to look awesome like Charizard or the Eeveelutions.

That said it doesn't explain why nobody ever brings up gen 2 which has the same kind of designs to it.

-Blaziken
-Sceptile
-Sneasel/Weevile
-Umbreon

Alas, Nintendo only believes in adding hard shills (newest game pokes) or hard nostalgia (Gen 1 or Anime favorites)
^You know like those guys up there.^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's a massive disconnect between you and the people you are talking to. Nobody is saying Gen 1 doesn't sell. They're saying they hate it and it's oversaturated. That's the point people bring up. I don't know what the hell you're proving here by saying it sells well.
People hate Gen 1. And yet... Gen 1 sells.

Actions speak louder than words. And money speak louder than salty posts and tweets.

Firox

Smash Master
Incidentally, all of them except Umbreon are playable in Pokkén Tournament. My point? There isn't one. I just say things most of the time.
Precisely why I got Pokken DX. ;) Sceptile is a sexy beast in that game. Though, I would prefer them in Smash since I just generally like the game/mechanics better than Pokken.

EDIT: Also, totally unrelated, but if anyone thinks that Gen 6 pokes weren't popular, Greninja just won 2020 Pokemon of the Year. https://www.ign.com/articles/greninja-voted-most-popular-pokemon-by-players Man, Sakurai was an absolute prophet when he decided to put that guy in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actions speak louder than words. And money speak louder than salty posts and tweets.
Where did anybody in this thread say that Gen 1 was objectively bad or that it didn't sell well? Quote for me the exact post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Here's the thing that the Pokemon fandom learned the hard way:

The actual Pokemon fandom is a minority. The people who buy Pokemon games aren't real fans they only care about gen 1 and don't care about anything else, they only care about Pikachu and Charizard, hence why Leon has a Charizard as his main instead of a Gen 8 mon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's not as all surprising that the guy with the Meowth avatar would tonedeafly support more Gen 1 representation over everything else.

He has a bias people, just accept it and move on.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That said it doesn't explain why nobody ever brings up gen 2 which has the same kind of designs to it.
A lot of Gen II mons were intended for Gen 1 but cut. That's why they have similar designs.

It's also why Gen II has the Kanto region. It's literally a continuation of Gen 1. Gen III is far closer to true new region entirely, and after that they continued to have fully new regions.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

You can stop being disingenuous now.
You full well know they're only talking about people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom