• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All this Pokemon talk has finally got me thinking of a decent game.

If there was a fighters pass that had six Pokemon, who would you want them to be?

1. Decidueye
2. Salamence
3. Swampert
4. Bisharp
5. Gliscor
6. Darmanitan
Aggron, Sableye, Roserade, Heracross, Bisharp and Chandelure are the first pics I can think of at 11:15PM

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
**** pokemon

1)Put Metabee in smash
2)Get Medabots popular in the west again
3)Release Medabots game in the west
4)I finally get to use Peppercat in a new Medabots game
5)I win

image_medarot_0107.png

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

If there was a fighters pass that had six Pokemon, who would you want them to be?
In no particular order:
1. Registeel
2. Grovyle
3. Obstagoon
4. Type: Null
5. Genesect
6. Lopunny
I know half of these won't happen and the other half are already Spirits, but hey.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean I could go for a Sylveon.
That sounds fine by me, I want to see something completely new and fresh from the Pokemon front rather than something that is mostly safe and easy to put a human rig on and work with.
If we have to have a Sword and Shield mon, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Dragapult make it in.

Pokemon is a franchise with a lot of unique creature designs. So I'd like to see them take more advantage of that.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Considering medabots's whole shtick is customizing your robots it gives tons of cool alt skin opportunities.
Eh its more like Megamans gimmick rather than full on customization

Defeat a medabot in a robattle > get a part from the opponent > use any part for strategic advantage

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
That sounds fine by me, I want to see something completely new and fresh from the Pokemon front rather than something that is mostly safe and easy to put a human rig on and work with.
If we have to have a Sword and Shield mon, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Dragapult make it in.

Pokemon is a franchise with a lot of unique creature designs. So I'd like to see them take more advantage of that.
They do need to work cohesively in a fighting environment, so ones like Chandelure and Arbok probably wouldn't work as well, as interesting as that would be. Dragapult would have to find a way around the whole always-floating and being-a-ghost thing.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Agree, I feel like it's boring that Starter Pokemon always keep getting into Smash over other unquie ones. (Like for example Heracross, Lycanroc and many others.)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I honestly think Pokemon's fine in terms of representation. I know there's a lot of Gen 1 but I think the Pokemon who are currently in more than justify their spot. You obviously have to have Pikachu, seeing how he's the mascot. Squirtle and Charizard are also incredibly popular and had a large role in the anime, so they're fine. Ivysaur's a little strange but he's fine seeing how he's essentially subbing in for Bulbasaur, the most popular base starter and the final pillar of Ash's Indigo League team. Mewtwo's one of the few legendaries that can be realizably added into Smash and is also very popular.

Jigglypuff is the only iffy Gen 1 Pokemon, but she made sense when she was added and she's become a series tradition. She's a lot like Sheik, a strange addition in a vacuum that's been in Smash so long it would be strange not to have them.

Add in Greninja and Lucario, the first and second most popular Pokemon period, with Pichu, an easy to develop Pikachu clone, as a bonus, Pokemon's doing pretty alright. The only Pokemon I'm not a huge fan of is Incineroar but that has a lot more to do with execution than concept alone.

That being said, Toxtricity would be rad, Lycanroc would be a dream come true, and I do think we'll get a Sword/Shield Pokemon in the next Fighter's Pass. However, if this is all Pokemon is getting, I'd be pretty satisfied with this line-up.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They do need to work cohesively in a fighting environment, so ones like Chandelure and Arbok probably wouldn't work as well, as interesting as that would be. Dragapult would have to find a way around the whole always-floating and being-a-ghost thing.
Chandelure can work, as it is playable in Pokken.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Pokken should've caught on. Dragapult is prime Pokken material, I can already see it in that art style.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Oh yes. Just because I specifically want Meowth means I support more Gen 1 representation over everything. Well, I have to be on the “more Gen 1 representation” side because people unfairly hold the “Gen 1” label against Meowth.

I don’t want any other Gen 1 Pokémon just because they are Gen 1 Pokémon. If I want a Pokémon that happens to be a Gen 1 Pokémon, it is because I like that specific Pokémon and I think that specific Pokémon would be fun to play in Smash.

I really don’t care about if there are more or less Gen 1 representation in Smash. After all, a Pokémon is a Pokémon regardless of which generation it is from.
Hey Meowth could use :202: as a move and have regional alts, that's one way of mixing up the generation origin representation if that would be too much of a bugger.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I do think we'll get a Sword/Shield Pokemon in the next Fighter's Pass. However, if this is all Pokemon is getting, I'd be pretty satisfied with this line-up.
I don't, which I've already gone over because of the Spirit event.

Chandelure can work, as it is playable in Pokken.
Pokken isn't Smash. That's all I have to say on that.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Eh its more like Megamans gimmick rather than full on customization

Defeat a medabot in a robattle > get a part from the opponent > use any part for strategic advantage
i feel that's a little underselling it. In the games you win medaparts as prizes (I think the show also stipulated you COULD wager parts but it rarely came up). The fact is you could make an entire robot from mish mashed parts. Unlike Megaman who can switch weapons at any time and really only changes color, your robots entire function changes in medabots and you need to set it up before a battle and cant change parts mid battle and parts can be damaged in battle. Mobility, damage, defense, etc. Then there's even different Medals to use which will help dictate what sort of gimmick that robot would specialize in (Like Mouse medal, I believe, focused on being faster. Mermaid medal was better at healing, etc) so you'd want a medal and parts to compliment.

I loved medabot's whole gimmick. I suppose it was 'custom robot-lite' to some degree but yeah...comparing Megaman and Medabots is entirely pointless.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wasn't Chandelure a playable character in Pokken?
As for Dragapult, we already have some characters that spend most of their time floating around, just keep it close to the ground whenever its grounded like they did with the others, as for its ghost typing, I feel like they can do some unique and interesting things with that, they don't take the type chart too literally either after all (Not since Brawl at least. :pt:)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hey Meowth could use :202: as a move and have regional alts, that's one way of mixing up the generation origin representation if that would be too much of a bugger.
"I see, too many Kanto Pokemon are there? What will you do?"

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I do however think that we aren't getting a Gen 8 Pokemon because of that Spirit event.
I've said before that IF SwSh's DLC is counted as separate from the main game, a Pokemon from the DLC might get in.

Wasn't Chandelure a playable character in Pokken?
As for Dragapult, we already have some characters that spend most of their time floating around, just keep it close to the ground whenever its grounded like they did with the others, as for its ghost typing, I feel like they can do some unique and interesting things with that, they don't take the type chart too literally either after all (Not since Brawl at least. :pt:)
Pokken's fighting scheme is completely different from Smash's, that's why I bring Chandelure up.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know this sounds like more Incineroar salt, but when Pokemon got multiple newcomers per gen, they appealed to multiple audiences each. It's kind of selfish to want them to only appeal to one, don't you think?
The playable Pokemon and other forms of representation for a Gen don't suddenly disappear when a new Smash game rolls by. Gen IV still has Lucario, and Gen VI still has two stages.

The whole point of focusing on newer Gens is because they haven't even had the chance to be repped in the Smash yet. They have little to nothing compared to Gens that have been in Smash for multiple games. If Sakurai didn't purposely give them extra attention and instead tried evenly distributing the new content for each Smash game, newer Gens would barely get anything while older Gens would get more and more.

Besides, stuff like characters and stages are usually limited to just one or two for each Smash game anyways. There's no way you can show an equal amount of attention with those, unless you consider older Pokemon to be reps for new Gens. If that's the case, then you're basically arguing that Gen I should continue getting characters because the Pokemon that originated from it have been present in the most games, therefore appealing to more people.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't, which I've already gone over because of the Spirit event.

Pokken isn't Smash. That's all I have to say on that.
Pokemon still has a lot more opportunities for Sword/Shield spirits though. The final forms of the starters, Impidimp and evolutions, Obstagoon, Wooloo, Drednaw, Gossifleur, Alcremie, Sirfetch'd, Cramorant, Polteageist, Eternatus, and Gigantimax Charizard were all featured prominently during the game's pre-release period and could easily be spirits. That's what makes Sword/Shield different from say, Resident Evil's spirit even, where every realistic rep for both a playable rep and a spirit pack was spent in that event.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pokken's fighting scheme is completely different from Smash's, that's why I bring Chandelure up.
But you talked in terms of fighting cohesively in a fighting environment, not a Smash environment if its just Smash specifically.
Hence why we brought up Pokken which is probably a more complex fighting game than Smash being fair.

I think Chandelure's bigger issue is more its lack of proper arms more than anything so item usage might be more awkward for it but alright.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The whole point of focusing on newer Gens is because they haven't even had the chance to be repped in the Smash yet. They have little to nothing compared to Gens that have been in Smash for multiple games. If Sakurai didn't purposely give them extra attention and instead tried evenly distributing the new content for each Smash game, newer Gens would barely get anything while older Gens would get more and more.
You're assuming first-party newcomers need to be a checklist based on what was too new for the previous Smash game. Might as well complain that Ridley wasn't Spring Man.

Besides, stuff like characters and stages are usually limited to just one or two for each Smash game anyways.
Well yes, but what seems more like it appeals to more people? A cute baby and a badass legendary, and the classic starter trio in different evolutionary stages and the new hotness, or whatever new starter's the most human?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I could also see them throwing in a second Gen 4 Pokemon in order to promote hypothetical remakes if they come out before FP2 ends, but I don't know if they would promote a remake, although I have seen an increase in discussion about Fiora here since XBCDE was announced.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
i feel that's a little underselling it. In the games you win medaparts as prizes (I think the show also stipulated you COULD wager parts but it rarely came up). The fact is you could make an entire robot from mish mashed parts. Unlike Megaman who can switch weapons at any time and really only changes color, your robots entire function changes in medabots and you need to set it up before a battle and cant change parts mid battle and parts can be damaged in battle. Mobility, damage, defense, etc. Then there's even different Medals to use which will help dictate what sort of gimmick that robot would specialize in (Like Mouse medal, I believe, focused on being faster. Mermaid medal was better at healing, etc) so you'd want a medal and parts to compliment.

I loved medabot's whole gimmick. I suppose it was 'custom robot-lite' to some degree but yeah...comparing Megaman and Medabots is entirely pointless.
Im speaking in more terms of smash

Metabee moveset other than having Twin Missles, Gattling Guns ,and Medaforce would probably use multiple different parts from other bots in his moveset similar to Megaman.

They could go with a medabot with customizable tinpets with custom moves but like thats a bit insane for the amount work needed with the possible attacks and animations, maybe limit to only KBT or KWG parts so you can get both Metabee and Rokusho? I still feel that a bit too much work though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's really no major difference in feasibility between Pokken and Smash. Chandelure wouldn't be a problem in Smash at all. Which major functions of Smash do you think it wouldn't be able to do?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Im speaking in more terms of smash

Metabee moveset other than having Twin Missles, Gattling Guns ,and Medaforce would probably use multiple different parts from other bots in his moveset similar to Megaman.

They could go with a medabot with customizable tinpets with custom moves but like thats a bit insane for the amount work needed with the possible attacks and animations, maybe limit to only KBT or KWG parts so you can get both Metabee and Rokusho? I still feel that a bit too much work though.
I think they will have him use different parts for different moves. Much like they did with Pit and Inkling and whatnot who I believe where also generally limited to one set/weapon per match in their homegames.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But you talked in terms of fighting cohesively in a fighting environment, not a Smash environment if its just Smash specifically.
Hence why we brought up Pokken which is probably a more complex fighting game than Smash being fair.

I think Chandelure's bigger issue is more its lack of proper arms more than anything so item usage might be more awkward for it but alright.
I'll add that since Pokkén Tournament is a 3D game, attacks need to be more readable then they do in Super Smash Bros., so if theoretically there shouldn't be any issues coming up with a moveset for a Pokémon that has already been implemented in Pokkén Tournament.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're assuming first-party newcomers need to be a checklist based on what was too new for the previous Smash game. Might as well complain that Ridley wasn't Spring Man.
I want a mix of both old and new. The first two characters, Inkling and Ridley, summarize exactly what I want.

Franchises like Pokemon and FE though? They move too fast for Smash. I'd rather see an effort to balance the representation between games instead of always relying on the old and proven stuff. It's bad enough Gen VII didn't get a stage, but imagine how much worse it would be for SuMo fans if Sakurai went with a Pokemon from a different Gen. At that point, all they'd have is Spirits and Pokeball Pokemon. They'd be in the same boat as Gen III.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Pokemon still has a lot more opportunities for Sword/Shield spirits though. The final forms of the starters, Impidimp and evolutions, Obstagoon, Wooloo, Drednaw, Gossifleur, Alcremie, Sirfetch'd, Cramorant, Polteageist, Eternatus, and Gigantimax Charizard were all featured prominently during the game's pre-release period and could easily be spirits. That's what makes Sword/Shield different from say, Resident Evil's spirit even, where every realistic rep for both a playable rep and a spirit pack was spent in that event.
While I do agree SwSh does have many Pokemon that could be Spirits, I state again that the Fighter Nintendo chose - Byleth - is the only one who's game DIDN'T get a Spirit Event since they held back Spirits for the Spirit Board, so on the basis of that I will say that a Gen 8 Pokemon isn't happening, as much as Obstagoon or whoever would be cool. I also take into consideration that the starters do have Spirits along with the legendaries and a few significant Pokemon, so I don't think they'd use the most important Pokemon in the game if they were going to have a Spirit Board for them later.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I want a mix of both old and new. The first two characters, Inkling and Ridley, summarize exactly what I want.

Franchises like Pokemon and FE though? They move too fast for Smash. I'd rather see an effort to balance the representation between games instead of always relying on the old and proven stuff. It's bad enough Gen VII didn't get a stage, but imagine how much worse it would be for SuMo fans if Sakurai went with a Pokemon from a different Gen. At that point, all they'd have is Spirits and Pokeball Pokemon. They'd be in the same boat as Gen III.
Hoenn does have the worst representation in Smash, as it is the only gen without a playable character or a stage. This does not count Galar.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

1. Decidueye
2. Salamence
3. Swampert
4. Bisharp
5. Gliscor
6. Darmanitan
Not counting Pokémon that are already Pokéballs:
1. Mr. Rime
2. Gengar
3. Buzzwole
4. Golisopod
5. Falinks
6. Necrozma

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

1. Decidueye
2. Salamence
3. Swampert
4. Bisharp
5. Gliscor
6. Darmanitan
Six Pokémon newcomers? Sounds fun! There are so many Pokémon I want in Smash.

Dual reveal (human characters from the Pokémon series)

1. Team Rocket - Meowth & Ekans team
1. Team Rocket - Meowth & Koffing team

2. Wes - Espeon
2. Wes - Umbreon

Triple reveal (bird Pokémon with different fighter types)

3. Hawlucha :ultbrawler:
4. Decidueye :ultgunner:
5. Sirfetch’d :ultswordfighter:

Final reveal but there is still one more!

6. Gardevoir
6. Gothitelle (Echo Fighter)

Hoenn does have the worst representation in Smash, as it is the only gen without a playable character or a stage. This does not count Galar.
I still want Gardevoir and Deoxys. As for a Gen 3 stage, I like the idea of Battle Frontier.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1. Decidueye
2. Salamence
3. Swampert
4. Bisharp
5. Gliscor
6. Darmanitan
1. Meowstic
2. Cinderace
3. Victini
4. Ninetales
5. Eevee
6. Baboom

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For all the pokemon talk, there's a suspicious lack of Garchomp.

Allow me to rectify that:
garchomp and mawile.png
Bonus Mawile.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Eh, call me biased but I'd say this is more comparable to the criticism of Awakening getting 3 characters when other installments only got 1, the criticism is that one installment of a franchise gets a significantly larger slice of the pie when compared to the rest, the rest in this case being the other Pokemon/FE games
Corrin and Byleth aren’t Fire Emblem Awakening characters and they still got criticism and backlash.

SSB4
Marth is back - praise and joy
Ike is back - praise and joy
Lucina is only a Marth Echo - free pass
Robin is unique - praise and joy

SSB4 DLC
Roy is back but he is still a Marth clone - praise and joy
Corrin is unique - criticism and backlash; too many Fire Emblem characters

Smash Ultimate
Chrom is only a Roy Echo - free pass

Smash Ultimate DLC
Byleth is unique - criticism and backlash; too many Fire Emblem characters

Corrin and Byleth didn’t get criticism and backlash because they were Fire Emblem Awakening characters. It was because they were Fire Emblem characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lucina did not get a free pass in the previous game. She and Dark Pit were super hated because they were pre-Echo Fighter clones. This doesn't disprove your point. I just felt the need to clarify this.
Point taken. Thank you for refreshing my memory.

Yes, Lucina and Dark Pit did receive criticism and backlash during SSB4. The marketing team called them Echo Fighters and Daisy received praise and joy and people suddenly wanted more Echo Fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom