• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sheik
Mecha-Fiora
Palutena's trailer casually mentioning the Chaos Kin controlled her
Dracula's spirit evolving into Soma Cruz
etc...

OH AND LUCAS'S BRAWL TROPHY SPOILING THAT YOU FIGHT CLAUS. CAN'T FORGET THAT.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm just following along what's being said and I noticed this as well.

It seems they know what it feels like, but they'll still push it aside and make up excuses for FE when the time comes.

I don't think newer generation Pokemon, and new protagonists for FE games, coming on board Smash every time a new game comes out is a good thing at all.

It's pretty much saying there can be an unlimited number of Pokemon and FE characters coming on board Smash down the line, because they're from a new game, with new characters, story, etc.

When does it stop if that's the argument? What about other series and characters?
Pretty much every Pokemon and especially Fire Emblem rep is literally only here because they were new at the time and they got a free pass.

Roy : Only included to promote FE6, game wasn't even out
Ike : Sakurai straight up had just a blank slot for a Fire Emblem rep in Brawl until Intelligent Systems told him to use Ike because he was the newest.
Robin : Sakurai has commented before how Awakening came out right when he started development on Smash 4 and how it's recency was why Robin got in the game. Hell, you actually look at the project plan he pitched to Nintendo for Smash 4, Robin is in it, and it's dated as April 26th, 2012, ONE WEEK after Awakening came out in Japan.
Corrin : Sakurai wanted a character from a new game coming out and Fates had just come out in Japan and was coming out in the US soon so that's who he went with after the FE team convinced him to. Not like there was some giant new IP that came out for the Wii U in 2015, nope.
Byleth : Nintendo wanted a character from a new game coming out and Three Houses was pretty much the only Nintendo game coming out in 2019 that actually had a completely new character that wasn't Pokemon (I guess Astral Chain exists but Nintendo just needs to shill FE). Again, also chosen way before their game came out.

Seriously, the only Fire Emblem reps that are here for other reasons are Marth, because he's from the first and third games, Lucina, because she was an alt that got turned into an echo, and Chrom who is here because people actually asked for him and he already had a model from Smash 4. (I know plently of people wanted Robin in the game but that doesn't really matter when he was chosen literally right when his game came out anyway).

As for the Pokemon, we already know that Sakurai just straight up leaves an empty Pokemon spot every game at the start of development that he fills later with whatever new Pokemon Gamefreak makes.

It's always just these two that get this pass, I'm sick of it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That render's to spoilery to be real. Sakurai wouldn't do that.
Just to be clear I don't actually believe this I'm just asking out of curiosity.

That said Smash spoils games on a regular basis so that's not exactly the best argument lol

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That render's to spoilery to be real. Sakurai wouldn't do that.
I mean, didn't he give away miner spoilers in the Byleth trailer?

I plan on playing TH eventually, but didn't he kinda give away that Byleth can
control time?
I certainly had no idea about that.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
All this Pokemon talk has finally got me thinking of a decent game.

If there was a fighters pass that had six Pokemon, who would you want them to be?

1. Decidueye
2. Salamence
3. Swampert
4. Bisharp
5. Gliscor
6. Darmanitan
1-Serperior
2-Mimikyu
3-Corviknight
4-Dragapult
5-Lycanrock
6-Eevee

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was exaggerating if that wasn't obvious, but judging by your response, I guess not.

No guarantee they'll limit themselves to 8 down the line as I said originally, not necessarily in this game.

FE seems to be in a business deal with smash, to the point where I think every new FE will get into Smash no issue.

Not just talking about Ultimate. I'm pretty sure I said down the line, so I was suggesting possible future Smash games.
I know. Down the line, there are inevitably going to be cuts, and I'm certain the older FE characters are the ones that will be the first to go.

They'll most likely add characters from new games to replace them and have a sort of rotating door. The only reason there's so many here is because of Everyone Is Here on top of the obligatory new character from new games.

I mean, didn't he give away miner spoilers in the Byleth trailer?

I plan on playing TH eventually, but didn't he kinda give away that Byleth can
control time?
I certainly had no idea about that.
Considering that was advertised in trailers and happens within the first 10 or so minutes of the game, time control isn't exactly a spoiler.

Now the green hair on the other hand...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One thing I really like about Pokemon is that there are a ton of wacky options you can't get anywhere else (hence my dissapointment with a relatively standard wrestler).
Hmm. Does Incineroar feel less of a Pokémon and more of a standard wrestler?

Incineroar’s moveset could be given to a generic wrestler character but then that generic wrestler character would have no fiery visuals.

Then again, I’d be ok with a generic wrestler character if they were from that NES game Pro Wresting. That character could have had all the wrestlers as alts.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I know. Down the line, there are inevitably going to be cuts, and I'm certain the older FE characters are the ones that will be the first to go.

They'll most likely add characters from new games to replace them and have a sort of rotating door. The only reason there's so many here is because of Everyone Is Here on top of the obligatory new character from new games.

Considering that was advertised in trailers and happens within the first 10 or so minutes of the game, time control isn't exactly a spoiler.

Now the green hair on the other hand...
Ah ok. Yeah I didn't follow anything about TH, so I didn't know about the time control thing being that early in the game.

No idea what's going on with the green hair but... I'm guessing it's going to be like DBZ where they're upgraded to God level or something... I dunno lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How so? Fox uses a blaster. Wolf currently uses a...spikey blaster. A machine gun would be more different from a blaster than a spikey blaster.
I think the point is that Fox can fire his Blaster rapidly, like a machine gun, while Wolf can't.
Ah, I see. I would hope that the machine gun would function differently than just a faster blaster though. Different ranges, different firing angles, etc.
Yeah. My thinking was that as a rapid fire weapon, a machine gun wouldn't be much different from Fox's blaster. But different angles and hit properties like you suggested would differentiate the two attacks in the same way that Bullet Climax is different from Gun is different from Blaster.

Another issue with the machine gun replacing the blaster is that it could deemphasize Wolf's more aggressive nature by making his playstyle campier.

EDIT: Personally, I think the space animals need a soft reboot that sticks before they get their movesets revised.
EDIT EDIT: Part of me wants Nintendo to license the series to Platinum Games and see what happens, but that could be me just wanting a story focused hack n' slash StarFox game for some reason.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ah ok. Yeah I didn't follow anything about TH, so I didn't know about the time control thing being that early in the game.

No idea what's going on with the green hair but... I'm guessing it's going to be like DBZ where they're upgraded to God level or something... I dunno lol.
That's pretty much what that is. Dope anime powerup.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The only question about Zell’s post, is why 8 commas?

Either way, I don’t want to dive into a rabbit hole now.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hmm. Does Incineroar feel less of a Pokémon and more of a standard wrestler?

Incineroar’s moveset could be given to a generic wrestler character but then that generic wrestler character would have no fiery visuals.

Then again, I’d be ok with a generic wrestler character if they were from that NES game Pro Wresting. That character could have had all the wrestlers as alts.
Pretty much. Put any wrestler of a similar height over Incineroar, it fits like a glove. Putting Claude over Decidueye or Ameterasu over Lycanroc,? Different story entirely. I kinda wish Sakurai had went with one of the latter two and put the Incineroar moveset over some other wrestler (maybe the Pro Wrestler like you mentioned).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Last night I had a weird dream about Smash DLCs (I don't know why it even happend, I'm not that obsessed by them at all, it just happend randomly).
I had a chance to see a poster with all the 6 DLCs of the second pass.
I can't remember all of them, just 3...

They were in order, with pictures as well. I completely forgot of the first 3, the last 3 in this order were:

-Goldeneye
Yes, it was "Goldeneye", a character based on the 007 game, but without mentioning James Bond at all, it was just called "Goldeneye" for some reason (Goldeneye is not even the name of a character, it's a satellite, but what you can do, dreams). He didn't look much like 007 in the artwork, he was dressed in light colors, something white-ish, if I remember he had sunglasses or glasses of some type.

-Ring Fit Girl
Probably with a Ring Fit Boy alt but it was not represented in the poster, the female version was the main one. Weird it was not "Trainer".

-De Blob
Probably reusing Inkling's mechanics.

While I don't remember the actual characters in the first 3 positions, I remember they were of the same "type", very "Nintendo" but still mostly third party and some also from older generations.
And even in dreams, not even one of my most wanted was in.
I can't even remember if there were fan favorites or not.
The thing that surprised me the most was Goldeneye... I was shocked by the fact that they broke the no 4th party rule and that a character considered around the times of Melee was finally added after all those years.

I might add that these informations are more reliable than any insiders and leakers'.
My dreams work at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
... they didn't ban Zippo?
Pretty sure they only ban for bull**** leaks and for all we know plans changed regarding when the direct will air. Besides, pretty sure there's a difference between getting something wrong (you know there is a thing, but not the exact details of said thing) and making things up (you don't know anything).

Then again, that probably won't stop people from harassing Zippo like a bunch of manchildren

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Zippo could had actually been right to be honest. For all we know the coronavirus might had delayed the direct given Japan is in lockdown due to it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?
Dante would probably end up being my favorite of the bunch. Though Crash is cool by me, and the other 4 seem fine I guess.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?
Crash would be hype. Certainly a lucrative pick if nothing else.
2B's outfit holds her back, honestly. We saw how Mai ended up.
Rex is a Spirit. Not happening.
Monster Hunter's... unlikely but fitting. I don't know why Rathalos is there to begin with.
I don't see Capcom triple-dipping in all honesty but if they do, Dante's up there for them. Don't feel the hype personally, but eh.
Sora is held back by the Disney content in his game. To truly capture Sora, you'd have to include some Disney content, and Sakurai's not going to allow that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Crash would be hype. Certainly a lucrative pick if nothing else.
2B's outfit holds her back, honestly. We saw how Mai ended up.
Rex is a Spirit. Not happening.
Monster Hunter's... unlikely but fitting. I don't know why Rathalos is there to begin with.
I don't see Capcom triple-dipping in all honesty but if they do, Dante's up there for them. Don't feel the hype personally, but eh.
Sora is held back by the Disney content in his game. To truly capture Sora, you'd have to include some Disney content, and Sakurai's not going to allow that.
Eh, I don’t actually know that 2B is really that held back by her outfit.

Whereas Mai Shiranui effectively wears very little, 2B can either have her dress entirely knitted together, they can institute a “black hole” type effect, give her spats...Mai just leaves...very little to the imagination. Iirc 2B outfits have been edited for crossovers before.

At least, that’s my perspective. I agree on other points you made though, such as spirits not being upgraded, as I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m sad you don’t think Dante is hype though, he’s the man!

Well, I do disagree with Capcom not necessarily triple dipping. They’ve got one of the best backlogs in gaming, and their characters provide plenty of excellent potential in gameplay AND marketing. Dante himself is a major industry hype bomb, especially if tied into the expanded release of DMC3, which is arguably similar to the release Dragon Quest XIS on Switch.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes, and when people remark how the Smash roster has a lot of FE in any context other than jovially, people around here don't take that very well. My point is that there's a double standard in regards to what the target of this argument is.

I think it's perfectly valid to raise concerns with disproportionate representation, whether in Pokemon, Smash, or whatever the case may be. In a civil manner, of course. I won't defend those who just go "FE bad, Sakurai biased, hur dur dur" or whatever. But, if it's somehow an impropriety to raise how one is overabundant, using the same arguments to decry another should garner the same reception. Otherwise it's blatant partisanship.

Ok, but if you imagine every series in Smash as its own Pokemon Gen, you can again apply the very same concern you raised to that. I know people then might raise how Mario and Pokemon have more, but imagine those two are Gens that have, like, 500 Pokemon each. So they just get more. Fire Emblem has as many as, like, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid - it's at that rough level.

Shouldn't all those Gens get similar representation if in they have the feasibility for it? Any point you can raise for one will apply elsewhere (this gen is successful - well so is the other, this gen is good - well, the same can be said about the other, the characters from this gen could make for quality additions - and the others couldn't?). There are people who like all those gens, there are characters from all who could be interesting. But one just keeps getting the attention. And that's without even mentioning some of the smaller Gens like Xenoblade, which only get scraps.

I mean, I totally get those earlier Pokemon complaints. I understand why they do it, but I would never invalidate the argument that it's unfair to all those other gens and fans thereof. However, I think it's as unfair within Smash as it is within Pokemon, because at the end of the day it's just people complaining about inequality among equals, which is a pretty valid thing to complain about.
Ok but Pokemon and FE constantly get more than 50 characters for every new installment while getting said installments very frequently, meaning that fans of certain characters tend to get left out due to timing, so when certain installments get multiple characters, people feel it's rather unfair due to how most only get 1 chance due to recency, we're never getting a Gen 3 mon for the same reason Lyn's never getting in, their games were released too early to be considered for Smash
Corrin and Byleth aren’t Fire Emblem Awakening characters and they still got criticism and backlash.

SSB4
Marth is back - praise and joy
Ike is back - praise and joy
Lucina is only a Marth Echo - free pass
Robin is unique - praise and joy

SSB4 DLC
Roy is back but he is still a Marth clone - praise and joy
Corrin is unique - criticism and backlash; too many Fire Emblem characters

Smash Ultimate
Chrom is only a Roy Echo - free pass

Smash Ultimate DLC
Byleth is unique - criticism and backlash; too many Fire Emblem characters

Corrin and Byleth didn’t get criticism and backlash because they were Fire Emblem Awakening characters. It was because they were Fire Emblem characters.
It was already pointed out that you're wrong in Lucina's regard but I remember people being upset that Ike returned because he went against what they thought would happen, that being Ike getting cut in favour for Chrom, Roy wasn't unanimously praised as the sentiment of 'too many FE' already popped up by then due to FE doubling it's character count from Brawl to 4 and Roy being divisive in the context of FE. Also people complained about Lucario for not being Mewtwo when he was confirmed to return in 4, people complained that Greninja wasn't Mewtwo and I have seen plenty of people lament about how Pokemon always gets a new character in every installment, with Incineroar getting blasted for being a new shill pick for Pokemon

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's this magical, wonderful power that can alter reality and help us get the likes of Bayonetta and 2B in Smash. It's called

~CENSORSHIP~

They could've stuck some tights or short shorts under Mai's little ensemble if they were really so inclined, but being one of twenty-something background characters probably meant priority was pretty low. 2B would be even easier to sanitize.

I mean people go on about Heihachi and Doom Slayer and Dante and all not being able to be faithfully implemented, but Bayonetta's whole deal is getting naked while attacking with a gun strapped to each limb and they made that work.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Eh, I don’t actually know that 2B is really that held back by her outfit.

Whereas Mai Shiranui effectively wears very little, 2B can either have her dress entirely knitted together, they can institute a “black hole” type effect, give her spats...Mai just leaves...very little to the imagination. Iirc 2B outfits have been edited for crossovers before.

At least, that’s my perspective. I agree on other points you made though, such as spirits not being upgraded, as I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m sad you don’t think Dante is hype though, he’s the man!

Well, I do disagree with Capcom not necessarily triple dipping. They’ve got one of the best backlogs in gaming, and their characters provide plenty of excellent potential in gameplay AND marketing. Dante himself is a major industry hype bomb, especially if tied into the expanded release of DMC3, which is arguably similar to the release Dragon Quest XIS on Switch.
I just don't think it's possible to censor her in a way that isn't awkward or counterproductive to the character. Granted, 2B is easier to censor than Mai's "E-for-everyones" but her skirt is just SO short I think it would be awkward.

I just don't get why everyone's jumping on Dante suddenly. It's like one mildly credible thing happens and then everyone's convincing themselves it's the one thing the want the most in the world. Like... why tho? Same thing happened with Rayman and Chorus Kids. Chorus Kids aren't even all that in their own game! I just don't understand these hype bandwagons.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They could've stuck some tights or short shorts under Mai's little ensemble if they were really so inclined, but being one of twenty-something background characters probably meant priority was pretty low.
They need to give Mai some strategically-placed ninja fishnetting.
1582953910289.png

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just don't think it's possible to censor her in a way that isn't awkward or counterproductive to the character. Granted, 2B is easier to censor than Mai's "E-for-everyones" but her skirt is just SO short I think it would be awkward.

I just don't get why everyone's jumping on Dante suddenly. It's like one mildly credible thing happens and then everyone's convincing themselves it's the one thing the want the most in the world. Like... why tho? Same thing happened with Rayman and Chorus Kids. Chorus Kids aren't even all that in their own game! I just don't understand these hype bandwagons.
Gematsu pre-Robin was more than "mildly credible". Even afterwards everything in the claim lined up with a period in development, indicating that list, was, in all likelihood, real, just outdated. I agree Chorus Kids would have no presence in the scene otherwise, but there are less sensical ways to gain a following than being a planned character.

Rayman expectation did get a bit carried away during Smash 4, but I get why people wanted him. The thing of it was the incident that really kicked off the fervour was the trophy reveal, which is like gaining popularity via deconfirmation. Strange, but desire usually overpowers logic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

In the case of Dante, a lot of people never really considered him prior to the leaks and went "Oh damn, that WOULD be cool" like with what happens with most bandwagons, only for Dante to have the benefit of being popular in his own right as seen with the praise of his series and Dante's immense fan demand for MvC3

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dante's the literal face of an entire genre and just had a major game release along with his original trilogy ported to a Nintendo console. I would think that'd be enough to draw some fans, but evidently only 90's/20's company mascots are the only "true" fans out there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Gematsu pre-Robin was more than "mildly credible". Even afterwards everything in the claim lined up with a period in development, indicating that list, was, in all likelihood, real, just outdated. I agree Chorus Kids would have no presence in the scene otherwise, but there are less sensical ways to gain a following than being a planned character.

Rayman expectation did get a bit carried away during Smash 4, but I get why people wanted him. The thing of it was the incident that really kicked off the fervour was the trophy reveal, which is like gaining popularity via deconfirmation. Strange, but desire usually overpowers logic.
Ehhhh Rayman also had a fake leak that managed to get so much attention that Ubisoft commented on it, I feel that also helped for his increased suppott

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I'd say Dante right now has more than just the bandwagon with him. I'd never call him a lock or anything like that, but when you consider:

1) Devil May Cry on Nintendo was something has potentially transpired because of an interview that specifically asked the director of the series about Dante in Smash. This was, I think, 2-3 months prior to the announcement of DMC 1 on Switch. I could very well mean nothing, but I do think it's worth considering the context of the interview being "Dante should probably be in Smash only if there are DMC games on Nintendo consoles". Then you have DMC 3, which has Dante with his most iconic design, which extended content. This is similar to DQXIS, though not pushed nearly as much (though that may have to do with SE wanting to really push DQ in the west).

Circumstantial evidence? Perhaps. I still think it's worth keeping in mind.

2) Devil May Cry 5 has brought the series back into the mainstream and is considered one of the best action games in the at least the last few years, if not the generation. There's attention on the franchise again and with the franchise being on Switch, that bodes well for continued support.

3) Dante oozes personality and is widely recognizable throughout the industry. He's flashy, and brings plenty of potential for a stance changer, combo based moveset. He's a great fit for Smash. Granted, I realize this particular point just sounds like somebody trying to sell the character, but he'd be absolutely excellent for Smash at this point in time.

Granted, I don't even think Dante is likely because of any particular rumor. That's just the Smash fanbase for you. The character and series itself doesn't need a rumor, nor should it, to be considered in contention for 1 of the 6 DLC slots. Dante has a good shot here.
---
On 2B, I don't think the dress is even that bad. Take a look at this screenshot from Soul Calibur 6.

If we use our imagination and envision that open area to be closed, the dress itself is just above her knees. Despite this, Palutena also has an open space in her gown, and it works just fine if you ask me. I don't know that Mai Shiranui is really the same thing here anyway, because in regards to Smash she'd be only considered for a cameo which...it's a lot of work to edit her significantly for a cameo that only happens part of the time, whereas 2B would be basically playable or nothing. They're not on the same plane.
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 12.58.02 AM.png

As N3ON N3ON mentioned, though, it's not really that deep. Censorship can easily be applied in this case, as it has in the past with Smash. I don't know that it would really hold Nintendo back from adding NieR Automata to Smash. Make the gap in the dress 2B has a bit smaller, and keep doing whatever they did with Palutena to make it difficult for folks to go looking under there, and you're basically set for success.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ehhhh Rayman also had a fake leak that managed to get so much attention that Ubisoft commented on it, I feel that also helped for his increased suppott
Right, but that leak lasted all of, I think, a day, maybe two, before Hex Omni debunked it himself, and then it was back to the usual. Proceleon also did mention the thing to kick off a characters' popularity, which I why I focused on the trophy. Even though he probably meant the leak, since no one really brings up the trophy reveal anymore.

I mean the leak itself was pretty believable, but its "active" phase was so short that the protracted popularity afterwards, while understandable, was indeed owing to two... uh, unorthodox circumstances which precipitated the longevity. I guess that speaks to the character. And also the quality of the "leak".

But you do have to commend that fanbase in that the marks against the character, such as the trophy and the future statement from Ubisoft encouraging voting for Rayman during the ballot (meaning he wasn't planned at that point) really only strengthened them. Bizarro stuff.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Everyone is great except for Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom