• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 262889
I know not everything has to do with Smash, but I’d like to take this opportunity to talk about Cooking Mama since she’s got a new game coming out.

Most people would call her a joke character, she would undoubtedly be pretty humorous, but I think her series is prominent enough, 12 million isn’t something to sneeze at and she’s pretty recognizable.

At the very least her legacy with Nintendo warrants her a Mii Costume and Spirit in my mind. Mii Swordfighter Cooking Mama with a rolling pin would be a lot of fun and the proportions fit.
I'd be down with Cooking Mama, except...

That grilled cheese does NOT look appetizing.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 262889
I know not everything has to do with Smash, but I’d like to take this opportunity to talk about Cooking Mama since she’s got a new game coming out.

Most people would call her a joke character, she would undoubtedly be pretty humorous, but I think her series is prominent enough, 12 million isn’t something to sneeze at and she’s pretty recognizable.

At the very least her legacy with Nintendo warrants her a Mii Costume and Spirit in my mind. Mii Swordfighter Cooking Mama with a rolling pin would be a lot of fun and the proportions fit.
Hold up! She just made a grilled crayon sandwich!

250px-Grilled_Crayon_Sandwich.png

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Cooking Mama's biggest fan here, I have to agree that Cheese toastie does not look appetizing either. Unless of course it's some sort Cake Frosting Toastie from France or something like that.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well there was that time Joker officially released, a presentation out of literally nowhere, not even announced in advance

but like an impromptu Robin/Lucina style reveal without a direct, I wouldn’t count on a surprise Joker style proper reveal happening again either
God, do you remember, was it Robin/Lucina's trailer that they just shadowdropped the video on Youtube? And they used to announce them at press only events at E3 like for Wii Fit and Pac-Man so they could go write articles for them.

That was nuts. I could never imagine them not doing a big streaming reveal for a Smash character today. Man, the world changes so fast.
Robin/Lucina were the opposite of a "out of nowhere/shadow drop" reveal. Sakurai literally announced it would be livestreamed 3 days prior on Miiverse.

r.i.p. Miiverse said:
Oh, by the way! I'd like to reveal a new challenger. Instead of doing the unveiling on something like a Nintendo Direct, we're going to live-stream the reveal on the official website on Monday, July 14, at 7:00 AM US Pacific Time (4:00 PM European Central Time). Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos that we've made... Like always, we put a lot of effort into it, so I hope you'll enjoy watching it live.
I get we're as thirsty as can be, and I'm not trying to call out these posts/users specifically, but getting your hopes up for a random announcement based on a precedent that means very little isn't the brightest approach to this.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Cooking Mama would make for a fun surprise inclusion for sure and would finally give the DS era a bit more love with a character that fully originates there, especially if we can't get Layton...

The series should at the very least be acknowledged via a spirit event or mii costume, yes.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
hollup, does this tier list have mach rider on it twice? lol

anyways, here's mine
1582044790395.png

my only real gripe is that it's missing Farmer and Baboom, but what can ya do?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
hollup, does this tier list have mach rider on it twice? lol

anyways, here's mine

my only real gripe is that it's missing Farmer and Baboom, but what can ya do?
Yeah it’s got Mach Rider twice for some reason, some odd choices too like Saberwulf instead of Fulgore for Killer instinct or having Gaius from Fire Emblem awakening for some reasons

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
DMC3 is releasing this week on the Switch.

I'm dreading a Spirit event release this week, or the coming weeks, and sincerely hope it won't be of DMC...
A lot of people would not be happy if a DMC spirit event were to happen. Back when the Resident Evil spirit event was announced, quite a bit of people were disappointed that Resident Evil characters like Leon and Jill were regulated to spirits.
Why was Zippo held in high regard, again? Isn't he just a random speculator like us?
I believe it's due to the fact that his "insider" posts haven't been removed on Resetera (which is known to ban fake leakers) and he's still a member there, as well as the fact that Sabi says he trusts him (which given Sabi's behavior can be a question mark). Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since Zippo wasn’t banned yet it’s possible his info WAS correct but again, coronavirus affecting Chinese factories caused delays on the Japan side of things. There are shortages of Switches lately after all

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know a new game release doesn't automatically equal a Smash character but it's so nice that a new Cooking Mama game is coming out for the Switch and can keep her in the conversation. She'd be a lovely addition to the roster, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to just playing her new game!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since Zippo wasn’t banned yet it’s possible his info WAS correct but again, coronavirus affecting Chinese factories caused delays on the Japan side of things. There are shortages of Switches lately after all
I really don’t understand why people were already throwing him in the trash, the 20th is Thursday so it could still happen (announcement tomorrow) if he’s right and if the virus stuff isn’t affecting Directs.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Cooking Mama would make for a fun surprise inclusion for sure and would finally give the DS era a bit more love with a character that fully originates there, especially if we can't get Layton...

The series should at the very least be acknowledged via a spirit event or mii costume, yes.
As someone who grew up with the DS, it would be nice to get at least one character that was a champion of that console, such as Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, Maxwell from Scribblenauts, Neku from TWEWY, or Phoenix Wright (at least in the west).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As someone who grew up with the DS, it would be nice to get at least one character that was a champion of that console, such as Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, Maxwell from Scribblenauts, Neku from TWEWY, or Phoenix Wright (at least in the west).
YES

FINALLY, some good frickin food

Neku gang rise up, TWEWY is like one of my fave games on the DS EVER

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
for being Nintendo's single best selling piece of hardware to date, it's still kinda surreal that the DS has only one smash character to it's name

that being said, I do think it's very well represented in other areas, especially stages in particular.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Saw people doing this and it looked fun so I decided to try it out.
View attachment 262842
Spoiler alert: it wasn’t fun. Wouldn’t recommend it.
I'm tempted to give you a warning on general principle for having Raz from Psychonauts in the "Would cry in a bad way" section. However, there's no warning for that. ...yet.

(I'm joking, just in case someone thinks that I'm actually serious about this)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
:ultlucario: Only really half counts considering he also debuted on the GBA at the same time with the mystery dungeon games, but that’s just a technicality
>When you realize if Phoenix makes it in, he would also only half count due to his games originally coming out on the GBA in Japan. (Unless Apollo joins as an echo fighter or something)

Yeah the DS has had it pretty rough when it comes to playable character inclusions in Smash...

It might have been more of a timing thing but still...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
>When you realize if Phoenix makes it in, he would also only half count due to his games originally coming out on the GBA in Japan. (Unless Apollo joins as an echo fighter or something)

Yeah the DS has had it pretty rough when it comes to playable characters in Smash...

It might have been more of a timing thing but still...
Nintendo didn’t make that many big IPs for the DS themselves, but too bad we didn’t get a Rhythm Heaven or Savvy Style character

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nintendo didn’t make that many big IPs for the DS themselves, but too bad we didn’t get a Rhythm Heaven or Savvy Style character
I think they did make a lot of IP's, though most of them didn't really make it that big, or where just a one time deal.
Most of the notable breakout hits where mostly third party yes. Like Layton, Scribblenauts, Cooking Mama, TWEWY, Ghost Trick etc.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
DS first party lineup kinda did suck, outside of some gems like Elite Beat Agents.

It was the third party support that made the DS shine.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
:ultlucario: Only really half counts considering he also debuted on the GBA at the same time with the mystery dungeon games, but that’s just a technicality
To be fair, Lucario was more of an easter egg in the first PMD games since it never appeared in person and only got a statue and name drops as a nod. Its first true playable appearance wouldn't be until DP a year later.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Technically even a Rhythm heaven character wouldn't count as a DS rep because it starts on the gba. If they go with Chorus kids it could count as ds but Karate joe and Rhythm girl start on gba.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Nintendo made a handful of new IPs for the DS. Problem is that very few of them come across as a glaring omission.

Well, unless you think Golden Retriever puppy from Nintendogs has waited too long for its chance to Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As far as first party characters that originated on the DS go, from the top of my head, there is Ashley Robins, Wario Ware's Ashley, Chorus Kids, Vince from Art Academy, Style Savvy, Elite Beat Agents and the Hotel Dusk guy.

I suppose most of these are a tad on the unorthodox side though, but then again, we can play as a potted plant and a toy robot so what do I know....

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
As far as first party characters that originated on the DS go, from the top of my head, there is Ashley Robins, Wario Ware's Ashley, Chorus Kids, Vince from Art Academy, Style Savvy, Elite Beat Agents and the Hotel Dusk guy.

I suppose most of these are a tad on the unorthodox side though, but then again, we can play as a potted plant and a toy robot so what do I know....
Always wanted to have Sakurai and his team talk about why they added Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B in detail instead of just retro reps now that you said toy robot.

Felt those two would have been added a game later or something like that. I remember being so confused at seeing G&W when I was like 8.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
DMC3 is releasing this week on the Switch.

I'm dreading a Spirit event release this week, or the coming weeks, and sincerely hope it won't be of DMC...
Didn't thought about that possibility, now I won't sleep for weeks.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
To be fair, Lucario was more of an easter egg in the first PMD games since it never appeared in person and only got a statue and name drops as a nod. Its first true playable appearance wouldn't be until DP a year later.
Yeah all things considered Lucario is a DS era character, it’s just kind of fun trivia that he also had his first reference there.

mainly I just kind of want another character that represented the DS era, like how :ultsimon::ultmegaman: do for the NES, or :ultbanjokazooie: for the N64.

D

Deleted member

smash bros spirit event

all spirits are smash bros

this deconfirms smash bros for smash bros

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A lot of my biggest Smash wants came from the DS and Wii era. It wasn't even my "first" gaming era, which was the transition between SNES and N64 (with the Game Gear and later Game Boy being my first systems I ever played) but so many fantastic games with super memorable characters came out during it that just stuck with me. Sure, I had, like, Marina Liteyears and to a much lesser extent Banjo and Bomberman, but those faded along the way. And while some characters (Chibi-Robo, Elite Beat Agents, Ashley Robbins, Kyle Hyde) have been somewhat lost to time, others (Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Style Savvy, Neku Sakuraba) have only grown on me as the years have gone by.

What a great era for unusual games and characters. Really a golden age. I'm hoping we get at least one rep from that era in this pass.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I agree that there aren’t many picks directly from the DS era, that’s not how characters are selected.

Like yeah, I agree that Lucario is one of the only characters who debuted there, but Lucario is also still a pretty bomb Pokémon now. Among other Nintendo characters, they’re mostly in the game in another form, like Nintendogs and Dr. Kawashima. Brain Age was the ****.

Though, I’d also argue that much of the success of the DS game from series that were major already, with games like Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, and others taking up many first party development cycles.

Not really in disagreement. Just don’t think a character should be added simply to “represent” the DS. However, if they add something pretty cool then I’m super down.

Like, despite really backing Dante, if I can’t have him...bring on Phoenix Wright. That works for me.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
smash bros spirit event

all spirits are smash bros

this deconfirms smash bros for smash bros
"We are announcing that Super Smash Bros Ultimate is becoming a gacha game and all fighters have been turned into spirits. Good luck unlocking them again"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kinda ironic how the Wii U completely bombed yet still managed to get a character from one of Nintendo's most successful modern IPs. Meanwhile, the DS, Nintendo's most successful gaming system, failed to produce an IP notable enough to get a character.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
While I agree that there aren’t many picks directly from the DS era, that’s not how characters are selected.

Like yeah, I agree that Lucario is one of the only characters who debuted there, but Lucario is also still a pretty bomb Pokémon now. Among other Nintendo characters, they’re mostly in the game in another form, like Nintendogs and Dr. Kawashima. Brain Age was the ****.

Though, I’d also argue that much of the success of the DS game from series that were major already, with games like Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, and others taking up many first party development cycles.

Not really in disagreement. Just don’t think a character should be added simply to “represent” the DS. However, if they add something pretty cool then I’m super down.

Like, despite really backing Dante, if I can’t have him...bring on Phoenix Wright. That works for me.
Of course, I don’t want characters just because what company or console they originated from, I want them because of who they are. A lot do originate from the DS since it was a big part of my gaming childhood growing up.

admittedly the DS has good representation outside of playable characters, with plenty of spirits, music and stages which fits for some of the more unorthodox series like Nintendogs and Brain Age.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kinda ironic how the Wii U completely bombed yet still managed to get a character from one of Nintendo's most successful modern IPs. Meanwhile, the DS, Nintendo's most successful gaming system, failed to produce an IP notable enough to get a character.
Well its two most notable IP's where made into Assist Trophies with Nintendogs and Brain Age.

While not first party, the Layton series is more or less on third as far as best selling new IP's on the DS goes and it's more or less the most feasible IP to get a playable character in out of those three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom