• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think at this point, in order to catch people off guard with a character reveal, they have to do a reverse Isabelle trailer.

Start out with a trailer for an ACTUAL upcoming product starring the character, and THEN do the Smash reveal.

Like, you have a trailer for a new Ninja Gaiden game, and then, at the end, BAM! Smash invitation!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Tbh I think the introduction of 3rd parties murdered the chances for a lot of characters. There's now a much much deeper pool to draw from, and a ton of characters (mostly on the obscurer side) just get pushed to the wayside.

Sakurai wanted to add Geno to brawl because he thought it would be cool to design a character based around his arm cannon, but why would he do that when Capcom was letting him use Mega Man, a gaming icon, instead?

Isaac could have been a cool character with RPG mechanics and a sword&magic combat style, but in Sakurai's position, would you choose to add Isaac when the protagonist of Dragon Quest was on the table?

The list goes on (Banjo over Dixie Kong, Simon as Ultimate's retro rep, etc.); I don't think a lot of the still-requested 1st party characters have the punching power in fan demand or market relevance to outshine the 3rd parties, especially now that companies seem to be clamoring to get their characters into Smash.

Sorry Dixie, Bandana Dee, Krystal, etc. fans, but I think you've missed you chance.
You list those characters as if they had a chance of getting in if it wasn't for third parties. Geno is owned by Square Enix and is a low priority for Nintendo to even bother getting, and Golden Sun is a series that Nintendo has written off completely so Sakurai ain't wasting his time to make him playable when Assist Trophy & Mii Costume would suffice.

For Sakurai & Nintendo it only make sense to put in fan requested characters if there is a pay off or if it doesn't require that much from them. If there isn't much of a pay out for putting Geno, Isaac, or Bandana Dee in the game then they're just going to put in the characters they personality want like Piranha Plant or Byleth.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that we know that Nintendo had a bigger hand in choosing DLC's than we thought, I think it's reasonable to rule out characters that Nintendo wouldn't really have a reason to pick.

Joker, Hero, and Byleth had immediate relevancy, Terry was to promote the NEO GEO switch ports that ended up being really popular, and Banjo was an olive branch with Microsoft.

What reason does Nintendo have to put your character in? DMC3 on switch
Sorry if I sound rude, but promoting 20 year old games doesn't make any sense to me.
All the "X character is here to promote X game" makes a little bit of sense if the game is a recent release or something, but that's not the case.

You can argue that these ports, being released at the beginning of the Swifth lifespan, actually helped a bit for Terry's inclusion. But it's so obvious that wasn't one of the main reasons for his inclusion. It's like people who argued Joker's in Smash because of Persona Q2, a spin-off released at the end of 3DS' lifespan. It doesn't make any sense, and in my opinion, it's very very unlikely that Sakurai/Nintendo even had in mind Persona Q2 or the SNK ports when picked both characters for DLC.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sure Nintendo had bigger incentives when choosing the DLC, but I doubt it's as simple as, "Let's promote this game!"

We already see the effects of Joker in Smash. Atlus is showing interest in porting games to the Switch as seen by that poll they recently released.

Dragon Quest has a long history with Nintendo, so it's no surprise why they'd collaborate with SE to promote both the franchise and the latest entry.

Microsoft has been more willing to work with Nintendo in recent years, and I'm sure they want to keep it that way. Minecraft being ported to Nintendo consoles is what ultimately led them to asking Microsoft for a popular character.

Terry is a bit of a wild card. Maybe we'll see more of him on Nintendo consoles in the future.

Byleth is probably the only character who was a basic "Let's promote this game!" addition.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I would choose Isaac over a Piranha Plant.
I would also choose Dixie Kong over a Piranha Plant.
I would choose Bandanna Dee over a Piranha Plant.
I would, again, choose Krystal over a Piranha Plant.
I would choose Geno, as well, over a Piranha Plant.
I would even choose Waluigi over a Piranha Plant.

No, being a “Joke character” is not an excuse.

Stop calling characters too insignificant to get in when a Piranha Plant got in.
Those character are now too insignificant because Piranha Plant got in over any of them. Issac, Krystal and Waluigi are stuck in snow-globe hell for the rest of Ultimate life cycle. Sakurai would rather represent the Kirby games he made. And Geno ain't ever going to happen.

They could only include seven newcomers for Ulimate's base roster and they choose a generic enemy over all of those characters despite knowing that there's a lot of request for any one of them, that's a definition of a loser right there.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Those character are now too insignificant because Piranha Plant got in over any of them. Issac, Krystal and Waluigi are stuck in snow-globe hell for the rest of Ultimate life cycle. Sakurai would rather represent the Kirby games he made. And Geno ain't ever going to happen.

They could only include seven newcomers for Ulimate's base roster and they choose a generic enemy over all of those characters despite knowing that there's a lot of request for any one of them, that's a definition of a loser right there.
You seem to know a lot about the DLC.

tenor-8.gif

Could you deconfirm some more characters for us?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean Nintendo forced the plant.
Notice how I began the section by saying "For Sakurai & Nintendo" when it came to what they personally wanted. Sakurai wanted Piranha Plant in, never said Nintendo forced it in.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
BTW the next Direct is going to be an Animal Crossing one

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like we're waiting until at least March for the next general

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You seem to know a lot about the DLC.

View attachment 262525

Could you deconfirm some more characters for us?
If the character is an Assist Trophy it's never going to happen, same with Geno. But keep believing that every character has a chance, just don't be disappointed when Ultimate ends and it turns out none of those characters got in.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

To be fair, AC releases March 20th. Everyone is pretty much calling an Animal Crossing Direct before then. The question is whether or not it'll be late February or early March.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be fair, AC releases March 20th. Everyone is pretty much calling an Animal Crossing Direct before then. The question is whether or not it'll be late February or early March.
There's an AC embargo going up on Feb 20th, so it's definitely next week.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Actually, she is likely telling the truth.

I can attest that the 20th has been backed in private for an Animal Crossing Direct for awhile now.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

it hard to beleve this considering is Emily and I dont believe her at all but at least that better then sabi. that said, I doubt there is an AC direct happening

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If the character is an Assist Trophy it's never going to happen, same with Geno. But keep believing that every character has a chance, just don't be disappointed when Ultimate ends and it turns out none of those characters got in.
Yes, we’ll be disappointed for a short time then see what happens next game or deal with it as it’s just a game in the end. If you’re concerned for other people getting disappointed, you’re going about it the wrong way, just sounding condescending and pretending to be a psychic.

Also, Sakurai chose Plant because he wanted a character other than the standard hero/villain, so a generic enemy. It’s extremely unlikely he considered any other character for the same spot except for Goombas and such.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
it hard to beleve this considering is Emily and I dont believe her at all but at least that better then sabi
How can you not believe Emily at this point? She's been basically correct about everything in the Switch era.

I mean she literally hinted at Smash Ultimate's name before it even got announced

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's an AC embargo going up on Feb 20th, so it's definitely next week.
Actually, she is likely telling the truth.

I can attest that the 20th has been backed in private for an Animal Crossing Direct for awhile now.
Oh, I'm not doubting it could be next week. I'm just saying that an Animal Crossing Direct has been predicted a lot in the last few weeks, since it's getting closer to launch and we don't know much about the game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Makes lot of sense. I imagine before releasing the newest Animal Crossing they'd like to go over a few more stuff before its release.

In that case...March here I come! An Direct (Maybe FP6 being revealed in an tease like Joker and Terry), Bloodshot, My Spy, Spawn releasing for MK11, Kombat Pack 2. Gonna definitely be an exciting month!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We're probably getting a Direct soon given how transparent some notable sources have been lately. I'm not sure if anyone has the exact date right, but I'll guess somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday.

Also, if this is an Animal Crossing Direct, then I'd say we have a higher chance of getting a general Direct in March, which makes F6 getting revealed before E3 a lot less likely. If the general Direct doesn't reveal a character, then I don't expect a character reveal before June. At that point, they might as well do what they did with Hero and Banjo and reveal more at E3 rather than reveal only a little before then.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How can you not believe Emily at this point? She's been basically correct about everything in the Switch era.

I mean she literally hinted at Smash Ultimate's name before it even got announced

Didn't she also say Mother 3 would be localized a few years ago - wait no I think that was Laura Kate Dale who also said the Switch Smash would be a port of 4 with only like two new characters... glad Laura was wrong. I don't trust Laura one bit

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think at this point, in order to catch people off guard with a character reveal, they have to do a reverse Isabelle trailer.

Start out with a trailer for an ACTUAL upcoming product starring the character, and THEN do the Smash reveal.

Like, you have a trailer for a new Ninja Gaiden game, and then, at the end, BAM! Smash invitation!
I like the idea of a reverse Isabelle trailer.

Now I am dreaming about the Pokémon Twitter account showing a preview of an upcoming episode about Team Rocket... and Delibird delivers them a letter! :awesome:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Didn't she also say Mother 3 would be localized a few years ago - wait no I think that was Laura Kate Dale who also said the Switch Smash would be a port of 4 with only like two new characters... glad Laura was wrong. I don't trust Laura one bit
Emily did chime in on Mother 3, as did Laura and Eurogamer, but to be fair, that was one rumor from ages ago. Ever since the Switch and the formation of Era, Emily hasn't really been wrong about anything.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe the direct will be just MOSTLY animal crossing tho? I STILL NEED THAT XENOBLADE CHRONICLES DE RELEASE DATE. I LITERALLY DONT CARE ABOUT SMASH ATM RIGHT NOW I JUST NEED XENOBLADE DE NEWS.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't Laura literally the first source on Mario Rabbids? It's not always black and white with this stuff

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
only thing I remember from Laura is when she made an article in Kotaku about how she misheard an abelist slur being Last Suprise lol

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We're probably getting a Direct soon given how transparent some notable sources have been lately. I'm not sure if anyone has the exact date right, but I'll guess somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday.

Also, if this is an Animal Crossing Direct, then I'd say we have a higher chance of getting a general Direct in March, which makes F6 getting revealed before E3 a lot less likely. If the general Direct doesn't reveal a character, then I don't expect a character reveal before June. At that point, they might as well do what they did with Hero and Banjo and reveal more at E3 rather than reveal only a little before then.
Why does decrease the chance of the next fighter being revealed. Byleth had a two week turnaround from reveal to release, Terry had two months, and there's certainly still a possibility that they could reveal the first one and leave it for like a drop the day of E3. Plenty of ways to have the next fighter revealed in March and not have to worry much about how it impacts E3 I would think.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Come think of it... I kinda wish Sakurai put Mary O. in Smash instead of Piranha Plant if he wanted a Super Mario Maker rep.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
only thing I remember from Laura is when she made an article in Kotaku about how she misheard an abelist slur being Last Suprise lol
Christ, I stopped reading Kotaku permanently after that. It was one of the worst bits of journalism I've seen outside of tabloids desperate for clicks along with IGN which has just became advertising.

Maybe the direct will be just MOSTLY animal crossing tho? I STILL NEED THAT XENOBLADE CHRONICLES DE RELEASE DATE. I LITERALLY DONT CARE ABOUT SMASH ATM RIGHT NOW I JUST NEED XENOBLADE DE NEWS.
Sums me up right now. I just want to know what is in it. Like how much of a definitive edition is it? I want to know new content, any combat changes, so much more. Also the fact that this game is a remake in full compared to FF7 Remake makes me disappointed in Square.
Funny how Tetsuya Nomura's projects are getting beaten by a series made by one of his mentors.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Honest question: why are people hyping this up so much?

I saw the trailer, it just looks like nothing more than updated graphics (and maaaaaaybe a little bit of previously cut content).

I understand why people are excited for the FF7 remake, because it looks like a complete rework of the gameplay and all of that.

But Xenoblade DE literally looks like nothing more than a simple remaster so far in my eyes.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Christ, I stopped reading Kotaku permanently after that. It was one of the worst bits of journalism I've seen outside of tabloids desperate for clicks along with IGN which has just became advertising.

Sums me up right now. I just want to know what is in it. Like how much of a definitive edition is it? I want to know new content, any combat changes, so much more. Also the fact that this game is a remake in full compared to FF7 Remake makes me disappointed in Square.
Funny how Tetsuya Nomura's projects are getting beaten by a series made by one of his mentors.
i feel like they won't stop at Bionis Shoulder when it comes to XCDE's new content

guest appearance by Elma, anyone? And possibly Rex/Pyra to keep up the continuity of Land of Challenges, and/or even KOS-MOS and/or T-elos. They'd do it I have a feeling they will

also i just.... really need that release date. TMS FE Encore only received a brief presentation and a release date ASAP. XCDE didn't

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why does decrease the chance of the next fighter being revealed. Byleth had a two week turnaround from reveal to release, Terry had two months, and there's certainly still a possibility that they could reveal the first one and leave it for like a drop the day of E3. Plenty of ways to have the next fighter revealed in March and not have to worry much about how it impacts E3 I would think.
If we're getting a Direct in March, then that's when we'd see F6 if they had plans to reveal anything that month. Highly doubt they'd separate the two so close together.

So if we don't get anything in March, that would leave two and a half months until E3, and I don't expect them to reveal anything in the time in between. They could've revealed Hero around the same time Joker was released if they really wanted to, but they didn't. They decided to hold him until E3 and reveal two characters at once. With that in mind, I can't imagine them randomly dropping a reveal in mid or late April when we're already so close to E3. They might as well wait at that point and possibly do a shadowdrop when they have their biggest audience of the year rather than announce the character two months early.

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman

So, Golden Sun? That's my pipe dream anyway. Bring Isaac in as a fighter finally to shill a new game in the franchise.
Whether or not they reveal the game first or the fighter first is a debate in the Isaac discord. I think the fighter first would surprise the most.

But no one would expect the reverse either, at least with franchises that haven't seen anything new in a while. So yeah, it'd be cool.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Many insiders a few years ago did talk about a Mother 3 localization, including Vergeben. It's possible that they do have a translation sitting around somewhere like they did with Mother/Earthbound 0/Earthbound Beginnings if that rumor is true.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Many insiders a few years ago did talk about a Mother 3 localization, including Vergeben. It's possible that they do have a translation sitting around somewhere like they did with Mother/Earthbound 0/Earthbound Beginnings if that rumor is true.
it would explain why Earthbound isn't on the SNES Online service yet, nor EB Beginnings on the NES Online service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom