• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ironic, considering how many people got exposed to certain series for the first time because of Smash.
See, it was good then because they were Nintendo characters! Sure, their games literally didn't exist in certain parts of the world, but that's great exposure! It's only bad when a third party gets in over an obscure Nintendo character Europe never heard of

Firox

Smash Master
Considering I named Elijah Wood, I could not have more clearly been joking about the splash screen, considering how quick you were to call denial, are Geno fans currently ok or are they still being a mess?
To be honest, I didn't recognize the Elijah Wood reference. I just assumed it was meant to antagonize my whole comment since you didn't highlight the splash screen part. To be fair, antagonism is second nature to a lot of people on here, so it shouldn't surprise you if I was instinctively defensive.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To be honest, I didn't recognize the Elijah Wood reference. I just assumed it was meant to antagonize my whole comment since you didn't highlight the splash screen part. To be fair, antagonism is second nature to a lot of people on here, so it shouldn't surprise you if I was instinctively defensive.
I dunno man, that'd mean you thought the Elijah Wood remark was about the ballot, not "the **** is she talking about?" As I'm only able to remember that because it's 4AM and 4AM Gwen is peak stupidity

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
My friend let me borrow his bravely default game and im having a good time with it. I really dont want more jrpg characters (3/5 of the last pass were jrpgs, thats a bit overkill) but if we had to have one id be happy to see one of the party members from the game. The soundtrack is a bop for the most part too.
I'm currently playing through the game too and enjoying it MUCH more than Octopath Traveler.

I know that she's a bit of a "meme" around these parts thanks to Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and Tiz or Agnes would probably be their first choice if Bravely ever got a rep, but I kinda want Edea in Smash now, NGL.

Firox

Smash Master
I dunno man, that'd mean you thought the Elijah Wood remark was about the ballot, not "the **** is she talking about?" As I'm only able to remember that because it's 4AM and 4AM Gwen is peak stupidity
Funny story. So I saw "Elijah Wood" and "erasure" and somehow thought that I was being accused of revisionism or something. I kind of spaced out (it's been a looong day for me) and decided to Google Elijah Wood and "eraser" and ended up finding out that Elijah Wood was actually in a movie called "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" where he apparently works at a company that erases memories. This kind of reinforced my initial reaction to the comment and away things went. Pretty crazy coincidence with the whole movie thing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I do think it's interesting how many Persona 5 fans were introduced to the series for the first time because Joker was added to Smash, especially because they hadn't played it before despite being fans! Haha so funny.

I'm obviously kidding. But I hope 2B follows suit with this.

I have to wonder how much of a role Nintendo plays, and how they continue choosing characters from this point forward. I do believe they'll continue with the way things have gone for the past 9 characters and I don't expect a major difference. But what kinds of curveballs do we get? What even constitutes a curveball?

I think if Nintendo could pick Dante because of how Devil May Cry has found new life on Switch, as well as Mr. Itsuno saying what he has about Dante and Smash. If Nintendo has that sort of approach, what about stuff like Tales of? Does Lloyd get picked by Nintendo? My guess, personally, is yes.

Does 2B get picked despite not being on Nintendo consoles? She's a modern day gaming star (alongside dudes like Joker, Geralt, and others), and Sakurai has praised the series. It's the first game in the NieR series to really break into the mainstream. Does Nintendo look to that and make the pick? Only time will tell.

Does Heihachi stand a chance with Sakurai if he's not satisfied with the outcome of a Smash moveset?

There's so many questions right now. I don't even know if the first pick will truly make a difference unless it's a character that completely flips the script. Like, call me biased. But I could definitely see Dante or 2B as pick #6 to kick off Season 2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Funny story. So I saw "Elijah Wood" and "erasure" and somehow thought that I was being accused of revisionism or something. I kind of spaced out (it's been a looong day for me) and decided to Google Elijah Wood and "eraser" and ended up finding out that Elijah Wood was actually in a movie called "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" where he apparently works at a company that erases memories. This kind of reinforced my initial reaction to the comment and away things went. Pretty crazy coincidence with the whole movie thing.
Goddamn my dumbass brain managed to pull a deep ass reference despite knowing nothing about Elijah Wood's career. Clearly, I'm a genius
I do think it's interesting how many Persona 5 fans were introduced to the series for the first time because Joker was added to Smash, especially because they hadn't played it before despite being fans! Haha so funny.
It's ok, the easiest target was Earthbound fans anyway

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I legit played Pikmin 2 as a kid only because Brawl introduced me to the series with Olimar. Pikmin 2 is now one if my top GCN games because of that.
I am one of the many Fire Emblem fans that first got introduce to the series because of Brawl.

Hell I am convince that at least a good 90% of the Earthbound/Mother fandom got introduce to the series because of Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I was introduced to basically every series that wasn't Mario or Sonic related through Smash originally. That's the entire reason I started getting as many games as I could that had playable characters in Smash.

I didn't play Zelda until I was in high school. I dabbled in Metroid when I was quite young, but didn't really get into it until I got Metroid Prime from a friend. Metal Gear started after Snake got in Brawl. Played Final Fantasy VII after Cloud got revealed. Owned Persona 5 but didn't play it until after Joker was revealed. Fire Emblem was definitely because of Smash, but it's also why I love Ike so much.

I played Bayonetta before she was in Smash. Same with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I love Smash.

Geckocalypse

Smash Rookie
I am one of the many Fire Emblem fans that first got introduce to the series because of Brawl.

Hell I am convince that at least a good 90% of the Earthbound/Mother fandom got introduce to the series because of Smash.
I didn't know what Earthbound or F-Zero was until I played Melee. After that I wanted to play F-Zero because I liked the adventure stage based off of it, and I liked Captain Falcon. But I was also 6 when it came out, and then didn't actually get to play the game until years later, and I don't think I actually had a GC until I was 15 (I never got consoles when they were new, we were poor so I rarely asked for anything)

I also learned about a bunch of games by looking through the trophies, and reading the descriptions. This was also before I had access to the internet whenever I wanted and being blown away by the fact that you could look at cheat codes online.

So you can say that it introdiced me to a lot of ****, but at the same time I didn't have any other way to get information on games, especially foreign ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only series I started to play cause of Smash was Fire Emblem.

I already played Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Banjo-Kazooie, Metroid, F-Zero, Street Fighter, MegaMan, Donkey Kong(Country), Legend of Zelda, Yoshi, Wario(Land only), Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kirby, Star Fox, EarthBound/Mother, Metal Gear(demo, mind you), Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Punch-Out!!, Mii(series in general), Duck Hunt, Castlevania, Fatal Fury.

I knew of every series to a small or bigger degree in general when it was announced for Smash. Persona, Bayonetta, and Wii Fit I didn't know well, though. Of course, this could easily change. Note that I haven't played a game in any series I didn't mention(I did know of R.O.B. before the Smash Fighter, and before Mario Kart, though that helped me remember him better).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hat Goomba actually had the most discussion of any Smash 4 candidate outside of the two lizard kings. I'll just post this again
See that! Shantae! And no 2B anywhere!

Those 2015 people get it.

Saying Waluigi is "irrelevant" isn't "an opinion," it's a falsehood. You don't get to say blatantly incorrect information and get a free pass by erroneously calling it an opinion.
Well irrelevancy is not a quantifiable state. So yes, that absolutely IS an opinion.

I saw the video. Really hyped about it and looking forward to the next 3 reveals at Smash Con this year. McLeodGaming devs are the best.
They'll be the best once they've announced Hayabusa, Kunio and Jotaro Kujo.

I'm currently playing through the game too and enjoying it MUCH more than Octopath Traveler.
OP was hugely disappointing, both mechanically, and storywise.

BD is the perfect implementation of classic FF Job System mechanic. SE just needs to give them a REAL budget.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Brawl was my first Smash game (well technically I played the first game on some yellow rocket N64 machine in a hospital I stayed at when I was four years old, but I don’t remember it clearly and didn’t get to play much anyway), and I think it pretty much introduced me to everything in it that wasn’t Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Donkey Kong or Pokémon besides some older games in these series; possibly Kirby, but idk, I just remember watching the Super Star Ultra commercial on TV then immediately asking my parents for it. I guess I technically already knew Star Fox too, though I only played Star Fox 64 before that, didn’t play it much at all and didn’t really know the characters, and there’s also I guess a Metroid Prime game I remember playing at a cousin’s house when I was little (I didn’t even know what it was, I just liked rolling around in ball form, but I think I remember a spaceship, dead alien monsters, and the ball looking like Samus’s armor).

I wasn’t really interested in a few of the series, but I loved Pikmin when I got Pikmin 2 a year or two later, and EarthBound as well when I emulated it due to the SNES cartridges I could find online costing a hundred bucks and no way would my parents pay for it (I still didn’t emulate it until after a long while though, I think; I finally got it on Wii U, the VC version likely being the first time I beat the game). I also loved Zelda, I believe my first game was OoT on the N64, my second game being MM, and I forgot when I got Wind Waker (I still haven’t beaten it years later...). Of course, I’ve played more games in the Zelda series and the other ones too over the years, but y’know. I’ve only played the original Metroid and Super Metroid as far as that series, though, not counting the memory of rolling around as a ball in Prime or something; I am interested in the Prime games and others in the series. I also have every Smash game, now...except 3DS, I lost that game alongside some other DS games when my family moved to my Grandma’s house about four years back...

I think Smash is also why I asked my parents or grandmother for Chibi-Robo; at least, I assume I asked them, idk if they just got it for me or not, but it’s likely I saw the little robot’s trophy in Brawl, wanted to play his game, then asked for it.

I didn’t really know of Mega Man until Smash 4 (got Mega Man 2 and played it on my 3DS a couple years ago; I liked it and think he’s cool, but I guess the series doesn’t grab my attention much aside from memes “nice >:]” (Wood Man best robot master), though I was kinda interested in Mega Man 11), got my first Animal Crossing game after Brawl (might have seen Wild World on TV beforehand and was interested, and that’s the game I got), already loved Pac-Man, Banjo-Kazooie...I’ll stop there, my memory is a little fuzzy anyway and I’m just rambling at this point. Since it’s kinda relevant to my Smash Bros. character wants and I’m feeling nostalgic now, though, I remember first playing Minecraft not too long after my early Brawl times, in 2011, hearing about the game from a friend and searching it up on Google and Youtube, starting it during Beta 1.5. Also, I didn’t really know of Geno or SMRPG in general until I came back to this site in 2018 and popped into the Geno thread out of curiosity (might have seen him on Reddit or somewhere beforehand, but idk), but I thought he looked frickin cool, played the game when I got the SNES Classic for Christmas that year, beat the game earlier last year, and I really like his character as well as Mallow’s and the game in general.

Oh, also, I love the Ice Climbers and wish they got a new game. Them missing from Smash 4 sucked darn you 3DS hardware.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
My friend let me borrow his bravely default game and im having a good time with it. I really dont want more jrpg characters (3/5 of the last pass were jrpgs, thats a bit overkill) but if we had to have one id be happy to see one of the party members from the game. The soundtrack is a bop for the most part too.
I think JRPG characters are some of the best characters to add as the most recognizable ones are the characters people have the most memories with. Unlike platformer characters JRPG characters have a journey they go through and develop with you (obviously there are some exceptions).

ZelDan

Smash Master
Marth and Roy being in Melee was probably a big reason why I decided to try out a Fire Emblem game (my first one being Path of Radiance on the GC). I never even played a strategy game or strategy RPG before that I believe.

I also used Banjo's inclusion in Ultimate as an excuse to dust off the Xbox One and Rare Replay and finally play through the first banjo game for my first time (I did start the second afterwards, but got as far as the first world, other games I wanted to play came out, and never really felt like going back to the second game tbh).

I'd say Smash maybe got me into Kid Icarus Uprising, but honestly I might have gotten that game anyways just to build up the 3DS library, since it was released pretty early in the 3DS' lifespan.

that's all that really comes to mind when it comes to stuff Smash got me into or introduced me to. Anything else I either haven't tried out yet or was already familiar with it.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'll always be thankful for Smash since it introduced me to Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Solid, Persona 5, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Everybody's talking about making Smash Ultimate into the greatest gaming crossover of all time, but there's a peak that can never be surpassed:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The beauty of Smash is that it introduces us to franchises that we either are not too familiar with or have never heard of before. I'll throw in a personal example: Melee was the second video game I've ever played, which was at the age of 7. It introduced me to several series like Earthbound, Ice Climber, Zelda, F-Zero, and Fire Emblem (nearly all of us were introduced to Fire Emblem during the time Melee was released as it was Marth and Roy's first international appearance).

We can thank the speculation scene for introducing characters and series that not too many people are familiar with. For example, I have never heard of Sakura from Sakura Wars until this particular thread, and the same thing applies to Arle Nadja, though I have heard of the Puyo Puyo series prior to joining Smashboards.

In fact, if it wasn't for the SNK leak, most of the Smash community would've never heard of the company or the games from them. It allowed me to do research on SNK characters and I ended up getting hooked on watching KoF combo videos, especially those featuring Terry, who I was hoping would be the SNK rep.

In the end, without Smash, we would not be talking about and speculating on certain characters right now and we would not see franchises like Fire Emblem be as big as they are today.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Smash helped motivate me to enter the persona series through persona 5. Loved playing it but also felt upset with myself that younger me didn't play it sooner after I beat it.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The last Smash Bros. game to include characters with whom I was unfamiliar was Melee.
Ice Climbers, Marth, and Roy.
I'm a super nerd.
The only character that's been even requested that I was previously unaware of was Morrigan from a former friend who shall remain nameless, but her codename is Les B. Anne.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well... if you wanted a mathematical function to predict Smash DLC character release dates... here you go.

1581745620776.png

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I took issue with grouping Ridley with King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Geno who had the recency problem that didn't apply to Ridley, but others on this thread have already addressed my issues so I'm not press this.

THIS. Since Fire Emblem games typically take place in different universes, Reggie's "new worlds" statement remained true throughout Fighters' Pass 1.
In my mind if we were to get another character from a franchise that is already in Smash as part of Fighters' Pass 2, it would have to be from a series that constantly creates new worlds. The only series in Smash that do this are Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest. Everything else either doesn't have continuity, takes over generations of stories (such as Zelda, Metal Gear, Megaman, and Castlevania,) has loose continuity (such as Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and Sonic,) or has a linear timeline (such as Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Bayonetta.)
To be fair, Mega Man and Castlevania do have multiple timelines. Battle Network and Starforce being one of those alternate timelines. CV also has the Lords of Shadow timeline and I think Circle of the Moon is supposed to be a different timeline as well. And Zelda's timeline is supposed to split in 3 different directions.

And that's not even getting into the large time-skips like Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Legends or Aria of Sorrow have. Depending on who you ask, might seem about as different as a different continents in FE.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well... if you wanted a mathematical function to predict Smash DLC character release dates... here you go.

View attachment 262377
Ah, yes, I definitely understand this equation.

But the others, that is, everyone but you and me, might not understand. So please explain it to them in very clear terms.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Ah, yes, I definitely understand this equation.

But the others, that is, everyone but you and me, might not understand. So please explain it to them in very clear terms.
I basically just posted the equation for fun as it's a part of a larger project I'm working on. Just wanted to see if anyone could figure out something related to it.

Anyway, for those who remember Amiibo Theory, this is a mathematical formula that is based on that relationship.

So in this case, x is for amiibo release dates, and y is for character release dates.

Now, of course, everything ain't so cut and dry, as this formula has its quirks, but it's not all that bad.

First and foremost, 0 is recognized as December 31st, 2018. This means every number you put in will be in terms of January 2019. So... for example, you want to plug in February 1st, 2019. Well, instead of plugging in 1, you plug in 32 as that is Feb. 1st... but in terms of January.

And once you get your value, you have to reconvert it back just for it to at least make sense.

Now to address the "+ and -" 9.something number. This formula was created as a "linear regression". Meaning, with desmos.com, an equation was found that best fit the data. Well, this "+ and -" 9.something is actually the average difference in the y-direction of plot points on the curve and actual data set.

This means that you get two answers as it could end up above or below the curve. And you just have to simply find the best answer based on your own judgement.

And finally, this formula will not spit out the exact release dates already known. The 9.something number in there somewhat alleviates this, but it'll be off by a couple of days. The only way to get the near to exact value is by finding the difference of the exact release date compared to the curve itself without the 9.something number and substituting it in for the 9.something number.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. Again, this is part of a larger project I'm working on. So better instructions on how to use this will be presented here soon.

I should also state that this is just for fun. I guarantee you this is not going to be super super accurate. However, it should be a good aid in predictions I think.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
normal pointless discussions
What is a normal pointful discusion? As far as I'm concerned kicking rocks is also pointless, but it helpz pass the time.

View attachment 262377
This looks like a linear function. I assume the output is y_0 is related to the release date. The input is x which may be time since time is often used as the x axis. The plus or minus sign I'd assume you'd handle like the quadratic formula. In which case you'd write it as 2 linear equations.
It's possible you may not need so many sig figs if we are dealing with units as days, since that is the unit that would make sense in this context.
So rewrite as

y_0 = x - 5.9 + 9.8 and y_0 = x - 5.9x - 9.8

*Sees new post*
//excalibur face//
I was on to something I swear.

Well I assume another way to look at it is like days in a year. Like instead of thinking of it as the 32nd day of January, you think of it as the 32nd day of the year.

Another thing, you said the eqiation is for 2019, so I assume you are using data from 2019 to generate an equation based on statistical methods, and then plan on using said equation on 2020.
Why amiibo's tho, what is this amibo theory? Is it because sakurai seems to show new amiibo's along with character reveals?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was my doorway to gaming. Before it, I knew the Mario characters (and their spin offs) and the Pokémon characters and that was about it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I'm obviously kidding. But I hope 2B follows suit with this.

I have to wonder how much of a role Nintendo plays, and how they continue choosing characters from this point forward. I do believe they'll continue with the way things have gone for the past 9 characters and I don't expect a major difference. But what kinds of curveballs do we get? What even constitutes a curveball?

I think if Nintendo could pick Dante because of how Devil May Cry has found new life on Switch, as well as Mr. Itsuno saying what he has about Dante and Smash. If Nintendo has that sort of approach, what about stuff like Tales of? Does Lloyd get picked by Nintendo? My guess, personally, is yes.

Does 2B get picked despite not being on Nintendo consoles? She's a modern day gaming star (alongside dudes like Joker, Geralt, and others), and Sakurai has praised the series. It's the first game in the NieR series to really break into the mainstream. Does Nintendo look to that and make the pick? Only time will tell.

Does Heihachi stand a chance with Sakurai if he's not satisfied with the outcome of a Smash moveset?

There's so many questions right now. I don't even know if the first pick will truly make a difference unless it's a character that completely flips the script. Like, call me biased. But I could definitely see Dante or 2B as pick #6 to kick off Season 2.
Good thing we're getting an article that will (hopefully) better explain things about Fighters Pass 2 on Tuesday.

Catch your boy with updated predictions based off of that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
THIS. Since Fire Emblem games typically take place in different universes, Reggie's "new worlds" statement remained true throughout Fighters' Pass 1.
In my mind if we were to get another character from a franchise that is already in Smash as part of Fighters' Pass 2, it would have to be from a series that constantly creates new worlds. The only series in Smash that do this are Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest. Everything else either doesn't have continuity, takes over generations of stories (such as Zelda, Metal Gear, Megaman, and Castlevania,) has loose continuity (such as Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and Sonic,) or has a linear timeline (such as Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Bayonetta.)
From what I've seen the Kirby series has a linear timeline, but info on it is well hidden like in Dark Souls. (It probably has a similar subject matter too. lol)

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
What is a normal pointful discusion? As far as I'm concerned kicking rocks is also pointless, but it helpz pass the time.

This looks like a linear function. I assume the output is y_0 is related to the release date. The input is x which may be time since time is often used as the x axis. The plus or minus sign I'd assume you'd handle like the quadratic formula. In which case you'd write it as 2 linear equations.
It's possible you may not need so many sig figs if we are dealing with units as days, since that is the unit that would make sense in this context.
So rewrite as

y_0 = x - 5.9 + 9.8 and y_0 = x - 5.9x - 9.8

*Sees new post*
//excalibur face//
I was on to something I swear.

Well I assume another way to look at it is like days in a year. Like instead of thinking of it as the 32nd day of January, you think of it as the 32nd day of the year.

Another thing, you said the eqiation is for 2019, so I assume you are using data from 2019 to generate an equation based on statistical methods, and then plan on using said equation on 2020.
Why amiibo's tho, what is this amibo theory? Is it because sakurai seems to show new amiibo's along with character reveals?
Actually, data exists from 2018, 2019 and 2020. Byleth's amiibo and release date are used in the model, and just simply are a January 2020 date + 365. I also use the launch date of smash ultimate as the first date since it technically is the first release date of both amiibo and all characters. They're represented as "-24" lol.

Also, y initial is meant to be the date before it's converted back to readable format. So y final basically is the normal calendar date version of the output.

And believe it or not, amiibo theory is a real thing. Here it is explained.
https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/c9fhe8/amiibo_theory_how_we_might_get_some_new_ultimate/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We doin' Calculus here wayyy better than what we normally do in school XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom