• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To be fair, reactions to Byleth were waaayyyy worse on any other platform.
"Worse" is subjective
Here's a fun game.

Assuming Sakurai decides to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters to round up 90 (92) playable characters. Who would be your picks?
Nurse Toadstool(Peach, with changes like Dr. Mario has)
Octoling(Stronger Ink)
Zack Fair(No Mako?)
Impa or Linkle(Ihdk)
If it's not obvious, I already don't like echoes

Last edited by a moderator:

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
Here's a fun game.

Assuming Sakurai decides to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters to round up 90 (92) playable characters. Who would be your picks?

Mine would be

Black Shadow (:ultfalcon:)
Dixie Kong (:ultdiddy:)
Medusa (:ultpalutena:)
Octoling (:ultinkling:)

Black Shadow and Dixie would be more like:ultchrom:
Blaziken (:ultfalcon: or :ultlucario:)
Gooey (:ultkirby:)
Dry Bowser (:ultbowser:)

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Zack ( :ultcloud:)

Akuma (:ultryu:)

Mr. Sandman (:ultlittlemac:)

And ehhh, Shadow, Protoman, or Galacta Knight? (:ultsonic: + :ultmegaman: + :ultmetaknight:)

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I actually think some others have the potential to be upgraded, such as Shantae, though I don’t really think she’s likely. I think Waluigi could happen, too, but I can’t think of much new stuff he’d bring save for unused Mario enemies as spirits or more variations of himself, unused music or remixes of themes related to him, and maybe a stage of a dance floor, tennis court, or Waluigi’s Pinball...though I guess that’s enough new stuff. Old Mario Tennis music isn’t in Smash, I don’t think, nor DDR and whatever.

I would bring up my past arguments...but you and others who think Spirits won’t happen ignore them, even though I don’t cry “fan rule” and even base stuff on things Sakurai has said. Y’all don’t even acknowledge them when I reply with them, it’s like I don’t exist when I bring them up.
If Sakurai said anything that implied promotions could happen, we wouldn’t even be having this debate.

Unless you are referring to his comments about Geno? Because I already addressed it in my OP

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Kasumi (Joker)
Mecha-Fiora (Ken-style for Elma; assumes Elma is in pass 2)
Black Shadow (Ken-style for Captain Falcon)
T-elos (KOS-MOS; assumes KOS-MOS is in pass 2)

Assumed Octoling is in pass 2 and is a semi clone like Wolf, Isabelle or Lucas

Faso115

Smash Lord
Going to be honest, people bash GameFaqs here all the time and treat it like its the plague, but this site is no better.

At least over there, you can easily spot people who intend to troll in an instant.

The lack of self awareness I see in this site on a daily basis never fails to amaze me.
At least we have emotes:4pacman:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Some people say that another Fire Emblem will show up next pass because of Heroes, which I think is a pretty dumb assumption. Considering we have, pretty much no one left from Fire Emblem they could add... Unless they added someone from Cindered? Which I highly doubt, considering they already splurged on all the Three Houses content with Byleth.

I also don't think Heroes has enough to represent it, music wise, and I'm not really sure what they would do for the stage either? Tbh I already dislike Heroes so seeing someone from it would really suck, but I think it has a 0% chance to happen and Byleth is it for FE
Other than Lyn, the only other FE character I'd like to enter Smash would be Fjorm.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
My prediction is that no one knows what's in the second pass and that people are inclined to believe whatever outcome gets them the characters that they want.

We can debate first-parties, third-parties, and Spirits until we're blue in the face. Fact is, everything we can come up with is complete and total speculation. No point in arguing when there's so little to go off of.
Amen.

We can still argue for fun, but the fact is nobody knows.

My predictions:
FP6 will be a Nintendo rep.
FP7 will be Ryu Hayabusa.
FP8 will be Steve.
FP9 will be Crash.
FP10 will be another Nintendo rep.
FP11 will be Sora.

The Nintendo reps could be Geno or pretty much anyone. Deluxe Mii costumes will come with each.
Except for the order (I would put the first Nintendo rep later, like FP8) and Geno (which I don't see coming except as Deluxe Mii), that is really something I believe is close to what will happen. Maybe put Phoenix Wright somewhere but I'm not even convinced.

Why is Geno an exception to literally everything in this community?
I don't like, don't want and don't think Geno will happen, but you have to be fair: the person you quoted is only thinking Geno can be upgraded, he is not thinking only Geno can be upgraded. That doesn't explain why he's saying that out of nowhere.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Oof tight.

Ok.

:ultmegaman: Protoman or Roll (Replace specials with custom specials fro Sm4sh)

:ultsonic: Tails or Metal Sonic (for Tails, Up+B is now fly, Side+B is a nerfed version of the Bombchu. For Metal, Side+B is an electric Flare Blitz, Nair is like Mewtwo’s). Deconfirms yo..

:ultyoshi: Birdo. (B now spits eggs. Side+B spits fireballs, Up+B is a rising version of Yoshi’s Side+B, Down+B is the same).

:ultlittlemac: Doc Louis (a heavy, but slower version of Mac). He’s the only one who has Little Mac’s fighting style including special moves, no other boxer could work as An echo.

Honorable mentions:

Ninten (went for another Punch Out character. As much as I would like to have all 3 protagonists from Mother, Punch Out has more games than Mother, and Doc looks a lot more unique).

Medusa (I prefer her as her own fighter).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Sakurai said anything that implied promotions could happen, we wouldn’t even be having this debate.

Unless you are referring to his comments about Geno? Because I already addressed it in my OP
You never replied to my main arguments when I linked them. You just kept saying Spirits 100% aren’t gonna happen, and I think you mentioned Spirit events which I also think keep a character from being in Vol. 2 because they happened while Vol. 2 was being decided (though maybe a Pokémon could still happen, idk), but they aren’t relevant to basegame. I did use what Sakurai said regarding Geno and how he could view mii costumes, but still. And I’m not going to make definitive statements instead of saying “could” when I don’t really know what he’d do and y’all don’t, either. I don’t feel comfortable doing that.

I don’t really recall all you’ve said, so I’m not even sure about the spirit event stuff, but no one has ever replied to my main argument about Spirits, and I really don’t recall you replying to them either except maybe one part. I’ve also brought up trophies as an example of how a character could be kept in mind for later, yet that seems to be shrugged off by everyone. I guess it all may not even matter, anyway, because Sakurai isn’t choosing the DLC and I doubt he’s gonna veto a character like Geno because “uh, they’re a spirit” if Nintendo wants them and gives him the opportunity to make them fighters. They at least seem to value characters like Geno somewhat.

My arguments:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-2113#post-23806814

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-2102#post-23804722

That doesn't explain why he's saying that out of nowhere.
I said it because Spirits were brought up again, I didn’t say it out of nowhere.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jeanne (:ultbayonetta:, with the changes that she has when she's playable in the Bayonetta games - tighter timing for Witch Time, less health/lighter, and stronger Smash attacks)
This would basically make her a worse Bayo in Ultimate, considering how bad her Smash attacks/Witch Time and how light she is. :drshrug:

Still my most wanted echo, though. Shadow would require more changes to be faithful and I'm not as convinced that Kasumi can work as one as before.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Sure, why not?

:ultlink:/:ultyounglink: - Link (Melee)
Just the Ocarina of Time incarnation of Adult Link.

:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser
Pretty much just a smaller and playable version of Giga Bowser.

:ultpikachu: - Raichu (Kanto form)
Slower but Stronger Pikachu replacing multi hit attacks with single hit attacks.

:ultmegaman: - Protoman
Can't think of anyone else. Like everyone else said, would be cool to see him use the shield.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You never replied to my main arguments when I linked them. You just kept saying Spirits 100% aren’t gonna happen, and I think you mentioned Spirit events which I also think keep a character from being in Vol. 2 because they happened while Vol. 2 was being decided (though maybe a Pokémon could still happen, idk), but they aren’t relevant to basegame. I did use what Sakurai said regarding Geno and how he could view mii costumes, but still. And I’m not going to make definitive statements instead of saying “could” when I don’t really know what he’d do and y’all don’t, either. I don’t feel comfortable doing that.

I don’t really recall all you’ve said, so I’m not even sure about the spirit event stuff, but no one has ever replied to my main argument about Spirits, and I really don’t recall you replying to them either except maybe one part. I’ve also brought up trophies as an example of how a character could be kept in mind for later, yet that seems to be shrugged off by everyone. I guess it all may not even matter, anyway, because Sakurai isn’t choosing the DLC and I doubt he’s gonna veto a character like Geno because “uh, they’re a spirit” if Nintendo wants them and gives him the opportunity to make them fighters. They at least seem to value characters like Geno somewhat.

My arguments:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-2113#post-23806814

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-2102#post-23804722

I said it because Spirits were brought up again, I didn’t say it out of nowhere.
Only takeaways i got were this.

A. Sakurai didn’t say anything that helped the chances of promotions like you implied.

B. You know how many characters, first and third party, fall under the “new world” statement? SMRPG isn’t the only game in the world, you know.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Why is Geno an exception to literally everything in this community?

If Sakurai truly wanted him playable now, he would’ve done so already, he got the rights to him twice, but still didn’t make him playable.
I guess there's an argument that there just wasn't any way Geno was going to be prioritised over Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, two of the biggest and most influential Japanese gaming franchises.

But now they're out of the way. So the real test for Geno is who the third Square-Enix rep is, if we get one. If we get someone like 2B or Crono instead, then yeah, you can stick a fork in him.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
76: Travis Touchdown - March/April
77: Crash Bandicoot - E3 2020
78: Ring Fit Adventurer - Fall
79: Heihachi - Spring 2021
80: 2B - E3 2021
81: Phoenix Wright - Fall 2021

Is how I'd do my order of predictions. Thoughts?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Based on everything we know and have learned from this theory/Imran, plus Sakurai's own words through his book and columns, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume the higher ballot results went something like

-Veterans (especially Snake) [Licensing issues in his case, technical issues in ICs case, overall lead to Everyone Is Here]
-Sora [tons of worldwide and outside-bubble popularity, unfortunately got the NG from Disney Japan]
-Bayonetta [Made it in the end, had massive fanbases outside of the Smash core fanbase]

With Inkling [technical issues] and K. Rool [rights issues/planned for Ultimate] hovering around there too. No doubt plenty of other characters that appeared as costumes or in Ultimate as assist trophies [Monster Hunter representation, Bomberman, Shovel Knight] were also added as a result, and we know that several series had vote splitting such as Final Fantasy [which ended up as Cloud] and Castlevania [Simon/Richter].

It's all very interesting.

Regarding the Geno costume situation, I find that really interesting. If it's worth anything, the English splash screen was also unique, with "Geno Mii Costume Now Available!" rather than "Geno Joins The Battle!". Perhaps that has to do with his rights issues?

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I guess there's an argument that there just wasn't any way Geno was going to be prioritised over Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, two of the biggest and most influential Japanese gaming franchises.

But now they're out of the way. So the real test for Geno is who the third Square-Enix rep is, if we get one. If we get someone like 2B or Crono instead, then yeah, you can stick a fork in him.
Just a reminder that Banjos fan demand was enough to get him in over Minecraft and Halo, two of some of the biggest gaming IPs period.

If Geno truly had anywhere near that type of demand, he would’ve got in over both of them, trust me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regarding the Geno costume situation, I find that really interesting. If it's worth anything, the English splash screen was also unique, with "Geno Mii Costume Now Available!" rather than "Geno Joins The Battle!". Perhaps that has to do with his rights issues?
It's probably Nintendo's way of localizing the different tagline of the original trailer. Not sure if rights can affect a minor detail like that.

What I find interesting that how this flew under everyone's radars for so long. I don't think it's a hard disconfirmation but you'd think more people would talk about it given how big Geno speculation is.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Banjo was probably way cheaper to get than Minecraft or Halo. Microsoft isn't doing anything with the IP.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Just this week we had Sakurai saying "I get the complaints" to "I completely agree, **** swordies and **** FE", this site constantly finds new ways to prove that Smash fans have 7 braincells
I presume the comment isn't about what i said? Cause if you relooked at the video (at the 27.00 min mark), Imran mentions that "I think we either get Master Chief or Sora" - which means that the later comment about "Disney Japan being an issue" is more likely to be about past game rather than this specific dlc/ultimate. Why speculate about something that is already rejected?

The only solid confirmation that we know is at some point of time, Nintendo contacted Disney and Disney Japan had several roadblocks which meant it didn't happen. There is no clear timeline as to when it happened (which, if you put the earlier comment about his speculation, would mean that it was likely to be an issue back then). Whether or not it still is a problem is entirely speculative.

(I'm not saying that either is confirmed or deconfirmed. Just that jumping to conclusions is completely premature at this point).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Problem is that people won't believe it "Well, Drakengard/NieR is a cult classic and 2B made it mainstream!" Or "Well, Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece so it makes sense"

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Here's a fun game:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I presume the comment isn't about what i said? Cause if you relooked at the video (at the 27.00 min mark), Imran mentions that "I think we either get Master Chief or Sora" - which means that the later comment about "Disney Japan being an issue" is more likely to be about past game rather than this specific dlc/ultimate. Why speculate about something that is already rejected?

The only solid confirmation that we know is at some point of time, Nintendo contacted Disney and Disney Japan had several roadblocks which meant it didn't happen. There is no clear timeline as to when it happened (which, if you put the earlier comment about his speculation, would mean that it was likely to be an issue back then). Whether or not it still is a problem is entirely speculative.
My point was moreso that people here tend to be morons who don't care about how things work but rather how people think that. It's how we got "Sakurai said we wouldn't get any clones in Smash 4!", "Grinch is real and Occam's Razor is proof!", "The Rising Sun flag isn't a hate symbol despite how Samurai Goroh got his headband censored it's just a coincidence!", "Cacomallow is real because nobody made the exact same model!" "It takes 5 minutes to make a Pokemon model", you get the point

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

:ultpalutena: Medusa
:ultinkling: Octolings
:ultsonic: Tails (Up B: Tails flies with his tails upward (similar to :ultkrool:) damaging foes who touches it)
:ulttoonlink: Tetra (B is a flintlock pistol based off of:ultjoker:), (Side B is a cannon based off of:ultkrool:)

Honorary pick: Female:ult_terry: from SNK Heroines.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Aside from the exact order of the characters this seems to be the most realistic one I've seen.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Somebody on here mentioned that Sakurai said that Bayonetta was the number one request among realizable characters and that maybe the "unrealizable" character was someone like Geno or Sora.

But let's not kid ourselves. Goku or Shrek probably won the ballot. I would bet money on it.

Here's a fun game:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch
I wonder where the people who said, "Ultimate is just a port" are now?

You know what, it's not ultimate if it doesn't have Crash Bandicoot in it. End of discussion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somebody on here mentioned that Sakurai said that Bayonetta was the number one request among realizable characters and that maybe the "unrealizable" character was someone like Geno or Sora.

But let's not kid ourselves. Goku or Shrek probably won the ballot. I would bet money on it.

I wonder where the people who said, "Ultimate is just a port" are now?
Playing Melee so that they never have to remember their failure of they pretend they're back in 2003

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
My point was moreso that people here tend to be morons who don't care about how things work but rather how people think that. It's how we got "Sakurai said we wouldn't get any clones in Smash 4!", "Grinch is real and Occam's Razor is proof!", "The Rising Sun flag isn't a hate symbol despite how Samurai Goroh got his headband censored it's just a coincidence!", "Cacomallow is real because nobody made the exact same model!" "It takes 5 minutes to make a Pokemon model", you get the point
fair enough. apologies for the misinterpretation

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I think these are all pretty realistic and great choice, but I still think Dante is more likely than Wright. Capcom is really pushing hard DMC right now, while Ace attorney future is more incertain and overall DMC is more popular. That being said Wright is closer to Nintendo so they might go with him, I don't think he's impossible just a bit less likely.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
My Contact at Nintendo gave me the lineup of Fighter Pass 2:

image0-2.jpg

blackghost

Smash Champion
So I tried making a pass with female characters only with the guidelines of:

1. No female character represented in some way in Ultimate already(so spirits, mii costume, AT etc).
2. One per company.

1. Velvet Crowe(Tales of Berseria)
2. Amaterasu(Okami)
3. Sakura Shinguji(Sakura Wars)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

Did this to mainly pass the time and I guess to see the potential female 3rd parties that can be added.
1. taki or sophitia soulcalibur
2.lara croft
3. 2b
4. commander Shepard
5. tracer
6. velvet crowe tales of berseria

(unavailable due to rules ada wong, chun-li, tifa, and morrigan)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom