• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Personally I hope it's true. It also just makes sense

Smash Bros being a Nintendo crossover is why I fell in love with the series to begin with
Don’t get your hopes up just yet, the video that covered it said it was likely just speculation, and he also didn’t know the entirety of vol 1.

Also, Sakurai has stated numerous times this game is supposed to be a crossover of all of gaming now, not just Nintendo.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sora was dead the the moment he was conceived as a Disney character. We're literally just about as likely to get music from the DuckTales video game. Yea, it's technically video game in origin, but it's still Disney. As much as people hate to admit it, Sora is in the same boat.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Video games are video games, it doesn't matter what company owns it.
Banjo-Kazooie is a Microsoft character, Microsoft is a computer company that also now does video games..not too different from Disney, a film company at heart, dabbling in essentially everything.
Beyond anything else, the fact that, supposedly, Sakurai tried to get Sora at all does show that he considers Sora as a video game character..so that debate can finally die I hope.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Video games are video games, it doesn't matter what company owns it.
Banjo-Kazooie is a Microsoft character, Microsoft is a computer company that also now does video games..not too different from Disney, a film company at heart, dabbling in essentially everything.
Beyond anything else, the fact that, supposedly, Sakurai tried to get Sora at all does show that he considers Sora as a video game character..so that debate can finally die I hope.
I was about to type a more thought-out message, but I've been down this rabbit hole before. Not going there again.
But paint me skeptical on anything Kingdom Hearts related in Smash. I just see a contradiction here between accurately portraying Sora and avoiding non-video game Disney content.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just see a contradiction here between accurately portraying Sora and avoiding non-video game Disney content.
"They can't add this fighter because accurate representation" must be the laziest argument against any character.

If Sora gets in with only references to Kairi and Riku, that would still be a more faithful representation of his game than Cloud's Smash portrayal.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely thinking the Chief is in now for sure. :shades:
I don’t like the misinformation being spread around Chief. Kahn said nothing about Chief. Somebody else said they think negotiations for Chief went down as well as Sora and Kahn just said Disney Japan wouldn’t let him in or whatever. This does nothing for his chances. People who are claiming Chief is likely based on absurd and tinfoil hat reasoning probably just want a reason to view him as more likely

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, Sakurai has stated numerous times this game is supposed to be a crossover of all of gaming now, not just Nintendo.
His love could've started before that statement was made.

Also, I'd be glad to be proven right when I keep having to repeat that fighting games don't have their DLC seasons be exactly the same, only for no one to listen. Looks like it's gonna be learned the hard way.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Was watching a PapaGenos video, when this post was brought up.

View attachment 261316

PapaGenos said he believes he was just speculating (I really hope so), but what do you all think?

Would be pretty tough since they would have to come with a stage and Spirit board.
Smash fans: Fighter's Pass will be exclusively third party.
Byleth: *exists*
Smash fans: Fighter's Pass 2 will be exclusively third party.
Byleth: Are you kidding me, did everyone literally just forget about my existence?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Was watching a PapaGenos video, when this post was brought up.

View attachment 261316

PapaGenos said he believes he was just speculating (I really hope so), but what do you all think?

Would be pretty tough since they would have to come with a stage and Spirit board.
For Advance Wars, it wouldn't be a problem at all. There's nothing going in the way of the series aside from 4 Spirits and several of it's major characters have yet to be represented as Spirits. Hell, I was having a hard time figuring out how all the other CO's would fit in one Spirit Board.

It's not like it's completly out of the realm of possibility either. A trademark and recent rumors suggest the series is due for a comeback on Mobile and the series was given a nod in Sakurai's recent presentation. And with fun playstyles being a focus now, I can only see that going in Andy's favor since he has a niche on the roster that no one else occupies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guess what, they put in Byleth before Three Houses was even released, and around the time it was revealed people were wanting Edelgard. Don't act like they put in Byleth because people wanted him when they decided upon it in advance.
Edelgard is not the better choice, people just rallied around her because she uses an axe. Byleth is the main character and the playable character, the story of Three Houses is 75% about them and their choice in the beginning. Byleth is the central character of Three Houses. Byleth therefore is THE BEST CHOICE for a Three Houses character. There's no argument in this.

Also I highly doubt either Master Chief or Sora will happen.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given what was said about Chief guess I'll be going back to my current prediction.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Heihachi
Phoenix Wright
Ring Fit Adventurer
Travis Touchdown

Meanwhile my wishlist/dream picks.

Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright
2B
Crash Bandicoot
Elma
Master Chief
Nightmare

See which ones I'm right about.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Imran is definitely a reliable guy with a lot of connections, but at the same time I don't think there's anything in his answer that implies Sora is out for Volume 2, just that if Disney Japan had played ball in the past he'd be in the game already. I don't think we have enough information to determine who is "likely" for pass 2 at all though.

Also, some of you are really acting like jerks about this. If anything an insider saying something about negotiations in a podcast is a lot less damning than the developers of a series saying that Nintendo hasn't approached them despite them trying for it, so...y'know.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Watch the latest PapaGeno's video, there are a lot of interesting hints or hits toward several characters.

If they're not the conspiracy theories he did before Byleth's reveal then I'll watch for sure. Otherwise it's a no from me. His content has turned down the drain and is now not much better than LaxChris and Blocked Content.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Watch the latest PapaGeno's video, there are a lot of interesting hints or hits toward several characters.
What's the point? When his predictions turned out to be wrong, he'll just say they were faked for testing the community's reaction or something.

I don't see the benefit of giving that guy any more views.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Amazing how people still give attention to a guy who straight up said to the camera "I lied and faked my reaction" five days after their temper tantrum.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Amazing how people still give attention to a guy who straight up said to the camera "I lied and faked my reaction" five days after their temper tantrum.
Because while he did make a butt of himself, (to my knowledge) he didn't do anything morally wrong like threaten Sakurai or anything. That being the case I don't think it's grounds for ostracizing him. Everyone has their moments. His was just on camera. Besides, there were, and probably still are, people that agree with him.

(And that's not to say you shouldn't not like him, because that is entirely your choice.)

Faso115

Smash Lord
A Crash mobile game was leaked. Ya know what that means?

Candy Crush confirmed

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Because while he did make a butt of himself, (to my knowledge) he didn't do anything morally wrong like threaten Sakurai or anything. That being the case I don't think it's grounds for ostracizing him. Everyone has their moments. His was just on camera. Besides, there were, and probably still are, people that agree with him.

(And that's not to say you shouldn't not like him, because that is entirely your choice.)
So him acting out like a child to get a rise out of people and Byleth fans with ill intent is ok then

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
We already know that during the ballot there was at least one character above Bayonetta has gotten rejected and that character was not Snake or the veterans. Thus, Bayo was chosen among "the realizable characters". If that character has made it in Ultimate, I think Sakurai would've talked about it at this point.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We already know that during the ballot there was at least one character above Bayonetta has gotten rejected and that character was not Snake or the veterans. Thus, Bayo was chosen among "the realizable characters". If that character has made it in Ultimate, I think Sakurai would've talked about it at this point.
Might that character have been Sora?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Read this page and then take a look at this comment from September 2019, only five months ago.

"PapaGenos is one of the few Smash-Centric Youtubers that I can fully enjoy his content is really well done and he has a consistent quality to his videos. He also only talks about Smash leaks when there's something to actually talk about which I respect and appreciate (unlike Blocked Content and LaxChris).

His videos are great and he's way better than those other two though I understand why those two make videos the way they do as churning out the content they do gives them more revenue than something like PapaGenos' vids."

Opinions can change at the drop of a dime.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Read this page and then take a look at this comment from September 2019, only five months ago.

"PapaGenos is one of the few Smash-Centric Youtubers that I can fully enjoy his content is really well done and he has a consistent quality to his videos. He also only talks about Smash leaks when there's something to actually talk about which I respect and appreciate (unlike Blocked Content and LaxChris).

His videos are great and he's way better than those other two though I understand why those two make videos the way they do as churning out the content they do gives them more revenue than something like PapaGenos' vids."

Opinions can change at the drop of a dime.
It's almost like the person who made that comment hasn't posted on this page.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So him acting out like a child to get a rise out of people and Byleth fans with ill intent is ok then
Frankly? I've seen way worse from members of this thread, and the people who do it here just say it's "good-natured ribbing" to excuse themselves. So if it's not okay for him to do it, it shouldn't be okay for people here to do it either.

Same difference.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Amazing how people can have different opinions.

I watch PG's video not really for his own opinion but to catch up on all the information and potential leaks that have happened the previous days/weeks. Trying to follow what is happening thanks to this thread is tiresome because it is polluted of vain and sterile discussions.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Frankly? I've seen way worse from members of this thread, and the people who do it here just say it's "good-natured ribbing" to excuse themselves. So if it's not okay for him to do it, it shouldn't be okay for people here to do it either.

Same difference.
Going to be honest, people bash GameFaqs here all the time and treat it like its the plague, but this site is no better.

At least over there, you can easily spot people who intend to troll in an instant.

The lack of self awareness I see in this site on a daily basis never fails to amaze me.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Also, I'd be glad to be proven right when I keep having to repeat that fighting games don't have their DLC seasons be exactly the same, only for no one to listen. Looks like it's gonna be learned the hard way.
Thanks for proving my point on my last post.

You got a source for that part or something?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Same difference.
To be fair, reactions to Byleth were waaayyyy worse on any other platform.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I think in order to gues the picks this year we gotta wait to figure out which 1st/2nd party games are gonna be coming out. Nintendo def has something down their sleeve, besides just dlc for their current games. Not to say every character will be 1st or 2nd, but we're def gonna get someone

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm kinda surprised nobody's talked about the new mobile Crash game as it shows Activision still wants to promote the brand, usually this fanbase thinks everything is a hint but we're just stuck on Clown Shoes from Kingdom Hearts
I'm hoping that Activision gives Spyro the same treatment

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I think in order to gues the picks this year we gotta wait to figure out which 1st/2nd party games are gonna be coming out. Nintendo def has something down their sleeve, besides just dlc for their current games. Not to say every character will be 1st or 2nd, but we're def gonna get someone
I think it'll be the same as the first Fighters Pass. Mostly 3rd party, one (or two) first party.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would simply say the context of Byleth getting in doesn’t necessarily mean we’re getting an abundance of 1st parties in Pass 2.

There’s nuance to the Challenger Packs. Even if Sakurai wasn’t picking them himself necessarily, each pack has been entirely new to the game and brought in content that wasn’t there before.

Now, does this mean we aren’t getting 1st parties? I wouldn’t say that. I just wouldn’t expect a pass with a majority of 1st parties, and I think folks should actually consider the fact that throughout all Newcomer DLC, we’ve never had an overlap.

Don’t dismiss that as a “rule” either. That’s what has happened so far. It doesn’t solidify that we aren’t getting an overlapping character, but it tells us that getting an overlapping character would break a trend that has been going for...9 characters so far?

Anyway, I’m about to celebrate my snow day today with NieR Automata and...cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom