• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's easy to tell who actually watched the relevant part of the video and who didn't.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Sega's crossover mobile games are any indication they'd probably go with Alicia Melchiott as a Valkyria Chronicles rep, with Welchin and the squad as the final smash. That'd be pretty awesome.
Sounds neat.
Then why don't you ask that question instead?
Well, I'm not the one going around saying "literally who", but I do think it sounds a lot lest hostile then "why should I care" even if that is the subtext behind the meme (when not used ironically).

EDIT: This and I'm just making guesses. I'm by no means a psychology/sociology expert.

Tldr

Former game journalist with tons of connections caught wind that Nintendo failed at getting Sora for season 2.
Wow really? I guess that means he'll be considered to be out of the running for a long time huh...

That's too bad. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts but I'm aware of it's significance, and feel bad when a beloved character's chances become so negligible no one can even talk about it anymore without being slammed down.

Can we all just agree that if a DLC Fighter is found out to be using Incineroar as a base, that that fighter is most likely Crash Bandicoot?
Whoa!
I don't think that'd make too much sense. Tiny Tiger? Maybe. But not Crash.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
https://youtu.be/SLg0CVc5vrk

Skip to 28:20

And keep in mind, this is historically one of the most trusted guys in the entire industry.

Also, if you need anymore proof, he posted on ResetEra that Byleth got delayed from December to January.

Why is that important? That site has a literal zero tolerance policy on fake leakers, you will get banned on the spot if you are a fraud.

The fact he is even allowed to say that there should be enough proof of his legitimacy.
Wrong claim. I'm aware of the Sora news. I just talked about it before that.

I was talking about the Dragon Quest point.
Tldr

Former game journalist with tons of connections caught wind that Nintendo failed at getting Sora for season 2.
False. He just said Nintendo failed at getting Sora for Smash. Didn't say whether it was Ultimate or whether it was Season 1 or 2.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If Haggar got in would they make a second spirit for Cody? Since he already has a spirit in the Street fighter section and all.
It’s possible: Cody (Street Fighter) & Cody (Final Fight) or something like (Hero) & (Vigilante or Prisoner).

It's pretty much just me borrowing some of Fatman's speculation (emphasis on the word, speculation. I know he isn't a leaker, but I do enjoy reading his posts) back when the 4chan post was brought to his attention this morning. Specifically how Hero/Mii Sword launch projectiles from their hand, Banjo/Duck Hunt use a bird as a weapon that A. has Sword hitboxes and B. isn't always in their hands, and Byleth/Belmonts use a whip for a lot of their attacks.

For Bayo, it seems the property might be hand to hand based auto combos (as in ones not restricted to jab) with a lot of kicks and air attacks. As for why it's not Bat Within, Guns, or Witch time, it's because it's an attack glitch (ruling out bats), Joker uses a gun (ruling that out), and Witch time, despite its properties, is still a counter move.
Oh I meant Bayo being used as a base in general. I haven’t heard about that at all.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It was stupid to believe otherwise, honestly. Sora would have been cool, but I think it was just the die-hard Sora fans that were in denial; everyone else knew the chances were slim due to having to go through Disney.
Why did we have to be in denial to root for our/one of our favorite character and hope for a chance? We all knew Disney could end up interfering. Despite his chances, I'd like to believe that a good amount of people hyped responsibly. Instead of giving sympathy, and respect to those who like Sora, the mood here seems like people are all but eager to stomp on the ashes of whatever chances Sora had, especially if it increases their character's chance.

I remembered people being more respectful, and sympathetic when Resident Evil (and other characters), was disconfirmed, even though that meant a better chance for me, and other people's Capcom pick, we didn't forget that other people like those characters too.
yall know what time it is

context: Bayo and Elma both use TWO guns, not one
Oh yeah! *Sliding Slinger intensifies*
feel like Velvet would logically use Corrin as a base instead of Bayo
Velvet from the Tales series, or Odin Sphere?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why did we have to be in denial to root for our/one of our favorite character and hope for a chance? We all knew Disney could end up interfering. Despite his chances, I'd like to believe that a good amount of people hyped responsibly. Instead of giving sympathy, and respect to those who like Sora, the mood here seems like people are all but eager to stomp on the ashes of whatever chances Sora had, especially if it increases their character's chance.

I remembered people being more respectful, and sympathetic when Resident Evil (and other characters), was disconfirmed, even though that meant a better chance for me, and other people's Capcom pick, we didn't forget that other people like those characters too.

Oh yeah! *Sliding Slinger intensifies*

Velvet from the Tales series, or Odin Sphere?
Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria

D

Deleted member

View attachment 261300

You got a source on that?
Someone brought that up at Forest Maze.

Turns out that It was missinformation, since he was just speculating about DQ on the video people took the claim from rather than making claims.

Would share screenshots of that conversation but I don't know how to do so on my new phone so I apologize.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria
I really need to play the Tales games. So your telling me this character attacks with blades in her gauntlet, and in her feet, has a werewolf hand that devours things, is mostly a kick based fighter, and can enhance her abilities? I'm liking this character already.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I really need to play the Tales games. So your telling me this character attacks with blades in her gauntlet, and in her feet, has a werewolf hand that devours things, is mostly a kick based fighter, and can enhance her abilities? I'm liking this character already.
I played Zestiria and Berseria back to back, so it was interesting going from two completely opposite protagonists in terms of personality and role since the two games are set in the same world. Highly recommend checking them out, the definitive edition of Vesperia is also available on pretty much every modern console.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I tried making a pass with female characters only with the guidelines of:

1. No female character represented in some way in Ultimate already(so spirits, mii costume, AT etc).
2. One per company.

1. Velvet Crowe(Tales of Berseria)
2. Amaterasu(Okami)
3. Sakura Shinguji(Sakura Wars)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

Did this to mainly pass the time and I guess to see the potential female 3rd parties that can be added.

D

Deleted member

1. No female character represented in some way in Ultimate already(so spirits, mii costume, AT etc).
2. One per company.

2. Amaterasu(Okami)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

Did this to mainly pass the time and I guess to see the potential female 3rd parties that can be added.
*stretches arms*

1. Lara Croft
2. Amaterasu
3. Reimu Hakurei
4. Arle Nadja
5. KOS-MOS
6. Saber

Btw that is a great list. Though honestly we don't know the direction Sakurai is gonna take...

Last edited by a moderator:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

2. One per company.

2. Amaterasu(Okami)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

1. Hakurei Reimu (Touhou)
2. Aino Heart (Arcana Heart)
3. Angelic Buster (MapleStory)
4. Vatista (Under Night In Birth)
5. Amami Haruka (Idolmaster)
6. Enoshima Junko (Danganronpa)

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Hang on, what's going on about Sora? And how do we know it's reliable?

EDIT: No TLDR either, what are the details here?

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hang on, what's going on about Sora? And how do we know it's reliable?

EDIT: No TLDR either, what are the details here?
One of the most trusted insiders (Imran Khan) said that negotiations for Sora apparently fell through with Disney.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
So, Sora is now 100% deconfirmed. A pity, but even I knew Disney would be the cause.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
What's going on here?
I'm lost.
Sora is "deconfirmed" by a insider.
Probably Master Chief being planned to appear in smash ultimate as DLC by the same insider who "deconfirmed" Sora.
A Theory about :ultbayonetta: being a base for a DLC fighter due to a bug in 7.0.0 just like how they predicted :ultduckhunt:'s glitch caused them to be the base for :ultbanjokazooie: (Byleth seems unlikely, I'm guessing Lloyd as they both have wings and hold two weapons).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Probably Master Chief being planned to appear in smash ultimate as DLC by the same insider who "deconfirmed" Sora.
A Theory about :ultbayonetta: being a base for a DLC fighter due to a bug in 7.0.0 just like how they predicted :ultduckhunt:'s glitch caused them to be the base for :ultbanjokazooie: (Byleth seems unlikely, I'm guessing Lloyd as they both have wings and hold two weapons).
It's been confirmed already that Ridley was actually BK's base.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
IMO, if Nintendo did actually approach Sora, it would most likely be for Fighter's Pass 2.

Square Enix has gotten a fighter for each wave of Smash DLC and, with one minor exception in Simon/Richter, doubling dipping with the same company in one wave of Smash isn't really a thing that happens. Even if we do see this trend break in Fighter Pass #2, I highly doubt it will be with Square, who have characters who hail from somewhat similar games that have largely overlapping player bases, risking alienating those who don't play Square games from two potential fighters. While Sora is legally-speaking a Disney character, he's also effectively a Square character within the public conscious and Square would undoubtedly be contacted to get approval, so its highly likely he'd be considered Square's pick for that wave. Thusly, if Sora's negotiations were for Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC or Fighter Pass 1, Sora would've had to have been negotiated for first and failed before pivoting to Cloud/Hero in his place.

I would be extremely surprised if Sora was really negotiated for before Final Fantasy was. Final Fantasy is Square's biggest IP by a long shot, almost doubling the sales of the second biggest franchise, Dragon Quest. I suppose you could argue that Sora was first up because he's more associated with Nintendo than Cloud, but it was Final Fantasy that was selected first and Cloud second, so that idea really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I just can't see Sora being the first pick out of Square Enix's library.

Sora being negotiated before Dragon Quest is a little more believable, but that's not really saying much and I still don't buy it. While not as large as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest's lifetime sales are almost double Kingdom Hearts. Likewise, getting Dragon Quest in Smash was a massive deal, given the series' cultural relevance and heavy association with Nintendo. Dragon Quest also means you have both the Coke and Pepsi of JRPGs appearing together in your crossover game, it's hard to have a better headline than that. Dragon Quest just seems to be a much more plausible second option than Kingdom Hearts for Square Enix.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

2. One per company.

2. Amaterasu(Okami)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

only chick i care about is Ammy

P.Kat

Smash Champion

2. One per company.

2. Amaterasu(Okami)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

Amaterasu
Sakura Shinguji
Kat (Gravity Rush)
2B
Saber
Velvet Crowe

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
One nice thing I'll say about Byleth; He makes World of Light a LOT easier.

I just oneshotted Pauline across the map, never realized how nice a character with a natural Dark Pit Staff could be.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Honestly, I still don’t see how this guy’s word is being taken as gospel towards Sora. Insider connection be damned. Unless it’s Nintendo or Sakurai telling him this directly, I’m still going to hold out hope for Sora.

My hope may be damaged, but not destroyed.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, the insider didn't say that he will appear in the pass; it'll probably be a Mii Costume scenario again.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I still don’t see how this guy’s word is being taken as gospel towards Sora. Insider connection be damned. Unless it’s Nintendo or Sakurai telling him this directly, I’m still going to hold out hope for Sora.

My hope may be damaged, but not destroyed.
I'm not a big fan of either character but it should be noted that NOT EVERYTHING has to be taken as some sort of "gospel" or "means to end all". People honestly need to learn how to think twice and look back at the details. Just because something supports what they want doesn't mean that it's all in for them.

Overexpectation is what's producing the salt in thsi sector of Smash.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Was watching a PapaGenos video, when this post was brought up.

10C07B78-45A9-49F9-AD56-129D28811D54.png

PapaGenos said he believes he was just speculating (I really hope so), but what do you all think?

Would be pretty tough since they would have to come with a stage and Spirit board.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

View attachment 261316

PapaGenos said he believes he was just speculating (I really hope so), but what do you all think?

Would be pretty tough since they would have to come with a stage and Spirit board.
Fire Emblem managed to cough up a good amount of Spirits, and I can think of a decent number of characters from Zelda or MOTHER that aren't represented yet. I'd say its feasible.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

View attachment 261316

I can’t really see a primarily first party pass happening. I imagine the third partiy DLCs have always outsold the first parties with the exception of Mewtwo. The third parties also bring way more attention to Smash/the Switch too. Nintendo has to know this.

We’re definitely getting 1 or 2 Nintendo characters though.

I said this before but I think the Pass will be along the lines of 2 Mega picks, 2 niche picks & 2 Nintendo characters.

So something like:
Crash/Master Chief, 2B/Arle, Rex/BOTW2 character

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem managed to cough up a good amount of Spirits, and I can think of a decent number of characters from Zelda or MOTHER that aren't represented yet. I'd say its feasible.
Fire Emblem Managed to cough up some spirits because that particular game was 100% not represented in any way shape or form. The same cannot be said about Zelda or Mother which have large plethoras of their franchises represented.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

2. One per company.

2. Amaterasu(Okami)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

1. Edea Lee (Bravely Default) - Square Enix
2. Noel Vermillion (BlazBlue) - Arc System Works
3. Alisa (God Eater) - Bandai Namco
4. Arcuied Brunestud (Melty Blood) - Type-Moon
5. Neptunia (Hyperdimension Neptunia) - Compile Heart
6. Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles) - SEGA

Tried going for names that don’t appear often in speculation.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

View attachment 261316

He didn't know all of the characters of Vol 1 at the start, I doubt he knows all of the characters for Vol 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom