• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm miffed that we got echo fighters for 3rd Parties yet we didn't get Ms. Pac-Man.
Sadly that's the result of legal wrangling. Ms. Pac-Man is currently owned by At-Games. That's why Pac-Man dumped it's continuity and tried to reboot and why only like 5 Pac-Man games are referenced in Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sadly that's the result of legal wrangling. Ms. Pac-Man is currently owned by At-Games. That's why Pac-Man dumped it's continuity and tried to reboot and why only like 5 Pac-Man games are referenced in Smash.
How'd they get away with putting her on his stage?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How'd they get away with putting her on his stage?
She was a cameo in the original Pac-Land so I guess that may have been the only way to get her to show up at all. Wonder if that's why it came back intead of Pac-Maze.
Notice how she doesn't have a spirit or a trophy in WiiU

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Namco owns Ms. Pac-Man but AtGames purchased royalty rights from the game's original developers.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/26/20886032/ms-pac-man-lawsuit-bandai-namco-atgames-rights-royalties

Long story short- Namco can use Ms. Pac-Man but would have to pay AtGames royalties. AtGames can't, however, use Ms. Pac-Man themselves.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

Tbh what the heck went on with Chief? I've read that there was some stuff about negotiations...

This is all confusing to be honest. But what irks me is that people are going to expect a little bit too much. Look what happened with FP5. Everyone expected Dante but we got Byleth. Now look at the salt it generated. Can't any of you guys learn to at least be cautious about stuff that is too hype such as this?

All of this salt stems from overexpectation. If you all don't want to be disappointed, it would be best to stay low.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wait.. I know it’s the current topic at all, but can someone please enlighten me what happened with Sora? Why he’s “deconfirmed” all of a sudden?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Wait.. I know it’s the current topic at all, but can someone please enlighten me what happened with Sora? Why he’s “deconfirmed” all of a sudden?
Some guy with connections to the industry said he was told Nintendo talked to Disney over this and something prevented them from securing the rights, presumably money

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've never seen misinformation so abundant in this fanbase as it is right now. It's crazy.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Master Chief being the final reveal would be elite.

Imagine Chief saying "Sir... finishing the fight" right before his splash screen which says: "Master Chief Finishes the Fight."

That'd be an incredible way to end the second pass or even the DLC in general, imo.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Some guy with connections to the industry said he was told Nintendo talked to Disney over this and something prevented them from securing the rights, presumably money
I thought it would be due to Disney being extremely difficult to work with. I mean if a public event involving one showing of a movie over two decades old requires going through a lot of bull****, imagine what Nintendo would have to go through to get Sora in Smash

Faso115

Smash Lord

Imagine Chief saying "Sir... finishing the fight" right before his splash screen which says: "Master Chief Finishes the Fight."

That'd be an incredible way to end the second pass or even the DLC in general, imo.
Keep dreaming, Smash doesnt end on high notes

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Keep dreaming, Smash doesnt end on high notes
This is an entirely subjective thing.

I was pretty hyped for Bayo in Smash 4 even if she ended up killing the game. I was pretty hyped for Incineroar and Ken.

People like different stuff.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I thought it would be due to Disney being extremely difficult to work with. I mean if a public event involving one showing of a movie over two decades old requires going through a lot of bull****, imagine what Nintendo would have to go through to get Sora in Smash
From what I understand legal issues with Disney seem to different depending on what IP in question people are negotiating for. If the series or movie in question is one like Lion king they'll defend it tooth and nail but if it's a smaller IP they don't give that much of a ****.

Some proof of this can be seen in Kingdom hearts 3. Where Disney gave Square a lot of creative liberties with world's like Big hero 6 but the world's with Disney princesses were kept of a really strict watch to make sure those were perfect replicas of the films.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
After Phil Spencer and Microsoft were willing to play ball and let "My Most Wanted Newcomer" in Banjo-Kazooie join Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I have a newfound respect for them am forever grateful for their cooperation.

I would love to see Nintendo return the favor by letting Master Chief join Smash as it would really show how strong and great their business partnership real is and I can imagine a scenario where Master Chief was brought up alongside a deal regarding Banjo-Kazooie during negotiations.

Master Chief getting in and would be internet breaking and jaw dropping hype to see him fight against Mario as he is one of gaming's biggest icons and the face of the Xbox brand, He's got everything from moveset to status to make for a big and great character E3 reveal.

I personally don't have a lot of history with the Halo franchise other than maining Arbiter alongside Riptor on Killer Instinct (Xbox One) since I grew up mainly with Nintendo consoles, But always thought it was a really cool series, Not to mention you got all those rumors of Halo Master Chief Collection coming to Switch, So hopefully something along these lines is true.

Master Chief's got my vote alongside Crash Bandicoot for more Western Representation.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
From what I understand legal issues with Disney seem to different depending on what IP in question people are negotiating for. If the series or movie in question is one like Lion king they'll defend it tooth and nail but if it's a smaller IP they don't give that much of a ****.

Some proof of this can be seen in Kingdom hearts 3. Where Disney gave Square a lot of creative liberties with world's like Big hero 6 but the world's with Disney princesses were kept of a really strict watch to make sure those were perfect replicas of the films.
The way worlds turned out in KHIII was due to working with each movie's original creators. Before, Nomura only had to run things by one person but this time, he had to seek approval from multiple people.

So, it's more like it depends who you're working with inside Disney. Seems the Frozen team was much more restricitve, than say, the Tangled team who let Rapunzel fight.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

Well the movie I'm referring to was A Nightmare Before Christmas

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 261300

You got a source on that?
https://youtu.be/SLg0CVc5vrk

Skip to 28:20

And keep in mind, this is historically one of the most trusted guys in the entire industry.

Also, if you need anymore proof, he posted on ResetEra that Byleth got delayed from December to January.

Why is that important? That site has a literal zero tolerance policy on fake leakers, you will get banned on the spot if you are a fraud.

The fact he is even allowed to say that there should be enough proof of his legitimacy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Given Smash's history of ending on anti-climatic reveals I'd picture Master Chief being more of an E3 reveal alongside Crash.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

And keep in mind, this is historically one of the most trusted guys in the entire industry.

Also, if you need anymore proof, he posted on ResetEra that Byleth got delayed from December to January.

Why is that important? That site has a literal zero tolerance policy on fake leakers, you will get banned on the spot if you are a fraud.

The fact he is even allowed to say that there should be enough proof of his legitimacy.
That zero tolerance policy is also known as "Literally the only reason to read things on ResetEra"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I'm definitely thinking the Chief is in now for sure. :shades:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Tbh what the heck went on with Chief? I've read that there was some stuff about negotiations...

This is all confusing to be honest. But what irks me is that people are going to expect a little bit too much. Look what happened with FP5. Everyone expected Dante but we got Byleth. Now look at the salt it generated. Can't any of you guys learn to at least be cautious about stuff that is too hype such as this?

All of this salt stems from overexpectation. If you all don't want to be disappointed, it would be best to stay low.
I didn’t expect Dante.

Even after the bandwagon took off, I took Vergeben and Sabis word to heart and didn’t believe the hype. Simply put, even though I have had my doubts, at the end of the day, I will always put trust in people with legit track records.

And that is one of the reasons why I am excited about Chief now. Because someone with deep connections to the industry said that negotiations may have potentially happened.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
geez, y'all really love jumping to baseless conclusions that much, huh?

y'all really need to learn to fact check before putting all your eggs in one basket

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Well as someone who lists Sora as 1 of the their 2 greatest wants, the comments seem pretty bad for his chances.

But, it does show that Nintendo is interested in adding him. Which is a better spot than say, Doom Guy. I can only hope that the negotiations in question were for Smash 4 or something, and that the two sides can make an agreement.

If 2B gets killed then all my hopes and dreams for DLC will be gone.

D

Deleted member

So much for "Disney isnt an obstacle for Sora's chances" lmfao
It was stupid to believe otherwise, honestly. Sora would have been cool, but I think it was just the die-hard Sora fans that were in denial; everyone else knew the chances were slim due to having to go through Disney.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
It was stupid to believe otherwise, honestly. Sora would have been cool, but I think it was just the die-hard Sora fans that were in denial; everyone else knew the chances were slim due to having to go through Disney.
I mean just look at his showing in World of Final Fantasy and that's with Square Enix, folks Disney works with quite a bit. As someone else mentioned, Nintendo or Sakurai probably balked at what they would have to go through to get Sora as DLC in Smash

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
After playing Trails in the Sky id be down with Estelle being the Falcom rep instead of Adol

That has no chance of happening

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I mean just look at his showing in World of Final Fantasy and that's with Square Enix, folks Disney works with quite a bit. As someone else mentioned, Nintendo or Sakurai probably balked at what they would have to go through to get Sora as DLC in Smash
I should know as Sora is in Final Fantasy Record Keeper. The Kingdom Heart characters are the only characters where getting them and getting their relics in that game are time limited. As getting characters in this game doesn't have any time limit. You just need to clear the weekly events or use an item called Hero lodes(and memory crystals which is used to raise a character's level cap. There's three you need to get to 99 but it's so easy to get them) you get from the events or login bonuses to get the character, with the relics being the gacha items. And the game has a daily draw that has every relic added when they debut, but the KH relics are only temporary in that free daily draw.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
So Doom meets Sora is the name of the game thus far in the Speculation scene of volume dos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom