• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I think it's weird that the base game ended up with so few Echo Fighters after Sakurai went through the trouble of rebranding clones as such. People seemed to react positively to it.

I would love to see Impa as an Echo Fighter for Sheik.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Here's a fun game.

Assuming Sakurai decides to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters to round up 90 (92) playable characters. Who would be your picks?

Mine would be

Black Shadow (:ultfalcon:)
Dixie Kong (:ultdiddy:)
Medusa (:ultpalutena:)
Octoling (:ultinkling:)

Black Shadow and Dixie would be more like:ultchrom:
Samurai Goroh: :ultganondorf:
Medusa: :ultpalutena:
Dixie: :ultdiddy:
Funky: :ultdk:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here's a fun game.

Assuming Sakurai decides to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters to round up 90 (92) playable characters. Who would be your picks?

Mine would be

I am gonna do 5 since you have no control over me.
Dixie (:ultdiddy:)
Ninten (:ultness:)
Hilda (:ultzelda:)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's a fun game:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch
Oh I know what you're talking about. Make a fighters pass out of the letters of the video game! Clever idea! I'll give it a try!

S - Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
U - Ulala (Space Channel 5)
P - Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
E - Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
R - Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

S - Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
M - Master Chief (Halo)
A - Amaterasu (Okami)
S - Shantae (Shantae)
H - Heavy Weapons Guy (Team Fortress)

B - Bomberman (Bomberman)
R - Rayman (Rayman)
O - Octoling (Splatoon)
S - Spring Man (ARMS)

U - Urbosa (Legend of Zelda)
L - Lloyd Irving (Tales)
T - Travis Touchdown (No more heroes)
I - Isaac (Golden Sun)
M - Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
A - Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
T - Tetra (Legend of Zelda)
E - Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for characters starting with "U". That was tough.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

so...Medusacide can become a thing? Sweet

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Okay I guess I'll give this echo thing a go.

Dry Bowser: :ultbowser:

Funky Kong: :ultdk:

Dixie Kong: :ultdiddy:

Gooigi: :ultluigi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it's weird that the base game ended up with so few Echo Fighters after Sakurai went through the trouble of rebranding clones as such. People seemed to react positively to it.

I would love to see Impa as an Echo Fighter for Sheik.
I mean, almost half of the new base game fighters were echos. I wouldn't call it few, especially considering Smash 4 had only two out of seventeen newcomers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, almost half of the new base game fighters were echos. I wouldn't call it few, especially considering Smash 4 had only two out of seventeen newcomers.
People keep saying they added so few, but like...I expected two more after Daisy at absolute most. The fact that we got four more after her was a huge surprise to me.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I wonder where the people who said, "Ultimate is just a port" are now?
They probably changed their mind and moved on. Do you expect them to find you and tell you they were wrong?
My point was moreso that people here tend to be morons who don't care about how things work but rather how people think that. It's how we got "Sakurai said we wouldn't get any clones in Smash 4!", "Grinch is real and Occam's Razor is proof!", "The Rising Sun flag isn't a hate symbol despite how Samurai Goroh got his headband censored it's just a coincidence!", "Cacomallow is real because nobody made the exact same model!" "It takes 5 minutes to make a Pokemon model", you get the point
I don't like that game. I don't ****- that game ****ing sucks I ****ing HATE that game OOOOOO
Playing Melee so that they never have to remember their failure of they pretend they're back in 2003
Imagine how much time and energy you would save not overreacting to straw men.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What's the point? When his predictions turned out to be wrong, he'll just say they were faked for testing the community's reaction or something.
Or, you know, he could just say "They were predictions."

You don't really need to make excuses for wrong guesses.

Here's a fun game.

1. Bass :ultmegaman:
2. Shadow :ultsonic:
3. Black Shadow :ultfalcon:
4. Impa :ultsheik:

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It still crazy to me that simply calling clones "echo" change everyone perspective of them.

Smash 4 have 3 clones: "no they took Ridley, Geno, Banjo slot, no more clones please!!"

Ultimate have 5 new echoes, 8 in total: "why don't we have more? It's such a cool concept!"

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I still think the timing of the next Famitsu column aligns perfectly with a potential reveal for next weeks Direct.

And even if we don’t get one, its nice to know we will get info about FP2 in two weeks.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It still crazy to me that simply calling clones "echo" change everyone perspective of them.

Smash 4 have 3 clones: "no they took Ridley, Geno, Banjo slot, no more clones please!!"

Ultimate have 5 new echoes, 8 in total: "why don't we have more? It's such a cool concept!"
In a perfect world we would have gotten Zack as a Cloud echo.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice

I think it's because *everyone* came back for Ultimate. The inclusion of long-requested fan favorites probably helped, too.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I tried making a pass with female characters only with the guidelines of:

1. No female character represented in some way in Ultimate already(so spirits, mii costume, AT etc).
2. One per company.

1. Velvet Crowe(Tales of Berseria)
2. Amaterasu(Okami)
3. Sakura Shinguji(Sakura Wars)
4. Kasumi(Dead or Alive)
5. Reimu Hakurei(Touhou)
6. Fury(Darksiders)

Did this to mainly pass the time and I guess to see the potential female 3rd parties that can be added.
I’m here for the games.

Ok, female Pass.
Going to skip franchises already represented to make it harder.

1) Sophitia (Soul Calibur) [Namco]
2) Kasumi (Dead or Alive) [Tecmo]
3) Julie (Zombies Ate My Neighbors) [Konami + LucasArts]
4) Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage) [SEGA]
5) Morrigan (Darkstalkers) [Capcom]
6) Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) [Eidos < Square-Enix]

Firox

Smash Master
I think it's because *everyone* came back for Ultimate. The inclusion of long-requested fan favorites probably helped, too.
Exactly. They mixed some crappy news with some awesome news to help smooth it over. It was hard to be upset when we got Wolf, Snake and Pokemon Trainer back among others.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Only takeaways i got were this.

A. Sakurai didn’t say anything that helped the chances of promotions like you implied.

B. You know how many characters, first and third party, fall under the “new world” statement? SMRPG isn’t the only game in the world, you know.
A. The reason I brought up what he said about Geno in the first place was because it was suggested that he saw Mii Costumes as equal representation to fighters, when it seemed he understood mii costumes were a "better than nothing" deal and would understand how much cooler the fighters are/the character could be as a fighter. I brought up trophies because people seemed to imply there was no way Sakurai or Nintendo could keep a character in mind for later. I didn't mean to imply Spirit promotions' chances sky rocketed or something, but I believe they're definitely open. The only real reason why they would be unlikely is if they focus on brand-new 1st parties and third-parties instead, but they could still promote at least one or two for fans.

B. I never said SMRPG was the only one, but it's definitely one of them, and yet y'all treat it like it's not. You did so yourself previously.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
When it comes to first parties, the only thoughts I have are these:

1) Smash never seems to pick series that are in their infancy, so anything new out in the next year probably isn’t in.

2) Ring Fit Adventure has absolutely nothing in the game and was a major success.

3) Personally, only series that has had a spirit event that I could see getting a character is, in fact, Pokémon Sword & Shield.

4) I still don’t think upgrades are as likely as some people think they are. They should considered less than likely until one actually happens in my humble opinion. I know people aren’t going to like that/agree because some of their most wanted are in that “upgrade” camp, but I think it’s worth acknowledging.

With Sora, I personally think he’s out of the running. I would be super down with him in the game, but I don’t have much faith.
Yeah, this is where I am on the fence, if anyone gets an upgrade from spirit then Geno is a shoe-in, but until that happens Inwoikd not every predicting him.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Couldn’t narrow it down to four so just take any combination of these.
Dixie Kong ( :ultdiddy:)
Impa (:ultsheik: )
Hilda (:ultzelda:)
Medusa or Viridi (:ultpalutena:)
Ms. Pac-Man (:ultpacman:)

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Here's a fun game.

Mine would be

Ohhhh, fun:

Echo the FIRST: Impa (Sheik with Greninja's Neutral and forward B's)
Echo the Second: Dixie Kong (Diddy with DK's Up B)
Echo the third: Gooigi (Luigi)
Echo the Fourth: Peppy Hare (Fox/Falco/Wolf echo)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Things just got a bit interesting

While interesting it doesn't mean anything, this isn't the first time they had a survey for games on Switch if I'm not mistaken. Obviously they're aware about people asking for P5 on Switch.
I'm more interested in some type of remasters for Shin Megami Tensei games. At least I know that Persona will eventually get remasters of previous entries on Playstation, but I'm not so sure about SMT lol

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really don't understand your last sentence when I said this in the post you're quoting:

I'm telling people to avoid getting so caught up with their own ideas that they develop a sense of certainty and belittle/argue with those who disagree. Instead of acknowledging that your personal predictions could turn out to be wrong and that the material you're using as evidence could be interpreted a number of different ways, you make posts that reek of someone who'd say, "I'm right, you're wrong, and I don't know why it's so hard for you to see things the same way as me."
My last sentence is in response to you saying that we shouldn't have arguments/debates about Smash when we don't know what's in the second pass specifically because you seem to be disparaging the very act of discussing the possibilities of how Volume 2 might be handled. "No point in arguing when there's so little to go off of" was the exact phrase you used that just seems to be an attempt to shut down discussions despite there being plenty of things to reference in regards to speculating what might come next. Your interpretation of "nothing to discuss" is based inherently on discussing Volume 2 in a vacuum devoid of all the additional context of past Smash DLC and the other sources I listed.

Everybody in this thread knows their predictions could be wrong, but it's not exactly a negative point against them to say that they hold to their convictions until future evidence sways their thought process a different way. But, as myself and many others have pointed out, there is plenty of evidence and information to start making predictions and start using a variety of critical thinking skills to attempt to recognize what Volume 2 might look like. Meanwhile, you're the one who constantly belittles people trying to do that as saying there is "no evidence" to base our predictions and analysis of despite that blatantly being false. People sticking to their convictions on stuff after observing a body of evidence =/= complete confidence that this is 100% going to happen or that they don't see other interpretations.

I see you Pokemon interpretation for example, but I don't agree with the conclusion because it doesn't maintain logical consistency with the rest of speculation when it comes to Spirits. That's the point of speculation and discourse specifically, for people to arrive at conclusions that are not definitive. I'm more than capable of recognizing that people see other things differently, but I'm also willing to admit that I don't put much value in "interpretations based upon feelings" for what I hope are fairly obvious reasons. Nor do I put much value towards conclusions that are derived from just technical possibility of existence. Some people enjoy that, but I don't personally. But for a different example, there are plenty of avenues to discuss something like why was Byleth chosen as the single first party in sea of third parties for the original Fighter's Pass, and there are certainly a wide variety of conclusions that one can reach there as well.

****, man, Geno is still one of my most wanted fighters. Under your presumption of seeing things to fit a personal narrative I should be arguing all kinds of other things, especially about Spirits, but I don't because I actively try to separate speculation and character support. One is more an intensely critical look into the nature of character choices because I just enjoy it a ton. The other is just talking about a character I love and their possibilities.

Also, making long posts isn't something I do to be right or try to force my opinion on other people. It's something to do because I enjoy it and it keeps me engaged with the Smash fandom in my own way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Exactly. They mixed some crappy news with some awesome news to help smooth it over. It was hard to be upset when we got Wolf, Snake and Pokemon Trainer back among others.
How is a few extra characters in any way "crappy news?"

Firox

Smash Master
How is a few extra characters in any way "crappy news?"
I was referring mostly to anyone that would regard clone characters as "crappy news". I personally would think more is always better but in a general sense, it's always better to sandwich lack luster/subjectively negative news with something great.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was referring mostly to anyone that would regard clone characters as "crappy news". I personally would think more is always better but in a general sense, it's always better to sandwich lack luster/subjectively negative news with something great.
Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But everything related to Smash can be subjectively negative. There's no such thing as objectively good or bad in entertainment.

That's why I don't get why people are so hung up on "damage control" conspiracy theories like "they announced more DLC with Terry because they knew he was bad". Why add something in the first place if you think it's not going to be well received.

Nintendo knows Smash appeals to a wide demographic so there's no point in only looking it from one perspective and assume professionals also do the same.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
There's no such thing as objectively good or bad in entertainment.
While I totally get what you're saying, I wouldn't quite go THAT far as to say that there is no such thing as objectively bad things in entertainment. In the sense of "This character is popular" or not, sure, that is totally subjective, but say a character was MECHANICALLY terrible in Smash bros. As in, imagine Sakurai releasing a character that was slow, weak, had zero air game and recovery, and basically lacked anything in their actual gameplay to redeem such weaknesses. I'd say that's a pretty solid example of an objectively bad character regardless of public opinion. Or imagine if we got ANOTHER Fire Emblem character that was LITERALLY another clone of Marth? People would go ballistic, and for good reason. Granted, I don't think we'd honestly ever see situations like these in Smash bros, but I don't feel it's accurate to say nothing in entertainment can be objectively bad.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Because while he did make a butt of himself, (to my knowledge) he didn't do anything morally wrong like threaten Sakurai or anything. That being the case I don't think it's grounds for ostracizing him. Everyone has their moments. His was just on camera. Besides, there were, and probably still are, people that agree with him.

(And that's not to say you shouldn't not like him, because that is entirely your choice.)
He called Sakurai a sniveling fanboy that should just make a Fire Emblem fighting game and contributed to a culture that encouraged people to harass him and actual FE fans on social media over it.

He has a platform. Nothing he does is in a vacuum. That it ended up being "fake" doesn't change that.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I was about to type a more thought-out message, but I've been down this rabbit hole before. Not going there again.
But paint me skeptical on anything Kingdom Hearts related in Smash. I just see a contradiction here between accurately portraying Sora and avoiding non-video game Disney content.
As I've said before, unless it was in a game developed by Disney, such as Disney Emoji Blitz (which already had Disney characters in it to begin with..so Sora didn't come with non-KH originals since he came with Aqua and Heartless), Sora has never had Non-Kingdom Hearts Original characters shown with him in his Crossover Appearances. In World of Final Fantasy, it was only Sora. In Final Fantasy Record Keeper, it was Sora, Riku, Roxas, Axel, and the Kingdom Hearts costumes for Cloud & Squall/Leon. For Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, its only Sora and the Kingdom Hearts incarnation of Cloud.
As such, there is no contradiction in accurately portraying Sora while avoiding non-video game Disney content. Kingdom Hearts, and Sora, has become enough of its own thing that its recognizable and accurately represented without having Non-KH Disney content, even leaving out Donald and Goofy is fine.
If Nintendo & Sakurai wanted Sora in the game but didn't want to pay to license big name Disney characters for Spirits or keep the spirit of Games Only content, then they have more than enough original Kingdom Hearts content to do so. They aren't going to leave out a popular character just because of Donald Duck or Goofy when they can be accurately depicted without them just fine.
The only slightly non-KH Disney thing is the Hidden Mickey keychain..and thats more an easter egg than a character or anything like that and could be swapped out for another Keyblade if needed. I doubt it'd be an issue though since it appeared in World of Final Fantasy, Record Keeper, and Brave Exvius just fine..and if it was an issue, it could be removed without many people really caring..its not like designs weren't altered to avoid issues before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom