• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Another thing about Echo Fighters is that they're balanced against their main counterparts rather than the rest of the cast.
Which is probably how Ken could be so different: Super Turbo Ken being balanced against its whole cast means...he's balanced against ST Ryu.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
New Smash characters have eroded former pillars of the game's identity, such as a focus on Nintendo and a general lack of references to sex and violence. Now the people who never cared about those things or just adopt whatever Smash gives them as their new standard **** on anyone who advocates for those principles.
Sorry, but that boat sailed the moment Snake was added in Brawl.

Sakurai has said many times that Smash represents all of gaming now.

And ngl, if Smash didn’t evolve and just stayed stagnant with no third parties/M rated characters, it would honestly be very anti hype imo, and I don’t think the speculation scene would be as active today if they didn’t take risks like that with the newcomers.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Alph should be separated from Olimar and become an Echo Fighter.
Just makes more sense than having him be a character with an announcer clip and everything but just cast him aside as a costume.
From what I've heard, Alph was actually the opposite case as Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario where-in he was originally going to be a separate character and use Rock Pikmin but they ended up scrapping that and just made him an alternate costume instead.
Though considering Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and the Koopalings were all either originally or are alternate costumes, it wouldn't have been that odd..would you want them to just say 'Olimar' still?
My only guess is that either they weren't satisfied with his differences or Pikmin wasn't a popular enough series to split him off.

Did people with that principle give it up, or do they just not post much anymore?

New Smash characters have eroded former pillars of the game's identity, such as a focus on Nintendo and a general lack of references to sex and violence. Now the people who never cared about those things or just adopt whatever Smash gives them as their new standard **** on anyone who advocates for those principles.
Sorry dude, but I disagree with you soo hard.
Adding 3rd Parties into Smash has actually enhanced the game for me and many others. Like, I absolutely love Nintendo and their games, but I, like many Nintendo fans, also like series outside of them..so adding in Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, Joker, etc has been nothing but awesome to me.
If you want Nintendo only, there's Melee and 64 or you can purposely not unlock/purchase any 3rd Parties.

Not to mention Nintendo doesn't really produce that many successful new IPs..so bringing in 3rd Parties helps add a bit of freshness to it, even if the 3rd Parties included are from older games they're at least new to Smash.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I kind of wished Echo fighters used some of the custom moves from Smash 4 like for example, Instead of the Default moveset that peach has, Daisy would get the sleepy toad, flower bomber, light veggie and the floaty parasol custom movesets for her to use.

I also kind of wish Dr. Mario had the Mega Capsule, shocking sheet and the ol' one two custom moves. It'd give custom moves some use. That's just what I think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't mind third-parties, but I do think they should be spaced out more between other Nintendo characters. I'm not saying third-parties don't belong, but Smash has always had a focus on Nintendo franchises. That's kinda what got me hooked in the first place.

Plus, it's way harder to get a third-party you want than it is with first-parties. It's one company's characters vs all (realizable) video game characters in existence.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I kind of wished Echo fighters used some of the custom moves from Smash 4 like for example, Instead of the Default moveset that peach has, Daisy would get the sleepy toad, flower bomber, light veggie and the floaty parasol custom movesets for her to use.

I also kind of wish Dr. Mario had the Mega Capsule, shocking sheet and the ol' one two custom moves. It'd give custom moves some use. That's just what I think.
That would have been pretty cool. They'd have to nerf a lot of them.
I'm surprised none of the custom moves made it to Ultimate, maybe except Palutena's Side+B,

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That would have been pretty cool. They'd have to nerf a lot of them.
I'm surprised none of the custom moves made it to Ultimate, maybe except Palutena's Side+B,
Samus' super missile is now based on Turbo Missiles.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's a fun game.

Assuming Sakurai decides to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters to round up 90 (92) playable characters. Who would be your picks?

Mine would be

Black Shadow (:ultfalcon:)
Dixie Kong (:ultdiddy:)
Medusa (:ultpalutena:)
Octoling (:ultinkling:)

Black Shadow and Dixie would be more like:ultchrom:
1. King D-Mind (:ultkingdedede:)
2. Boshi (:ultyoshi:)
3. Mecha Sonic (:ultsonic:)
4. Dry Bowser (:ultbowser:)

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Sony ain't gonna be happy about P5 coming to the Switch. It's getting harder and harder for them to keep these PS4 exclusive deals.
Sony evidently does not have a "PS4 exclusive deal" with Persona 5 due to the release of Persona 5 on the PlayStation 3.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sony evidently does not have a "PS4 exclusive deal" with Persona 5 due to the release of Persona 5 on the PlayStation 3.
Really? You're splitting hairs on this?

The point is mainline isn't heading onto any Nintendo console anytime soon.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So, I finally got around to that Sora deconfirmation/ Master Chief video everyone was talking about yesterday, and I saw what was said. I’ve come to a few conclusions about the whole ordeal.

1. We are all so desperate for information that at the first mention of a character possibly being or not being in Smash sends us into a frenzy of jumping to conclusions, grasping at straws, and misconstruing people’s words.

The words Mr. Kahn had to say in regards to Sora came off, to me, like 100% pure speculation. There was no inflection in his tone that insinuated otherwise. He even said “I think”, and because many of you know he was once an insider and probably still has insider connections, you put your tinfoil hats on and somehow came to the conclusion that “Sora is deconfirmed! Wrap it up guys, show is over for Sora.” Just, no. How did any of you reach that conclusion?

2. The only people who truly, 100%, without a doubt, know the fighters of Fighters Pass Volume 2. are Sakurai, his team, and some big shots at Nintendo.

Could some information slipped through the grape vine? Of course it could have, but I think that’s something Nintendo would have under pretty tight wraps. Look at Fighter Pass Volume 1. None of the characters ever really leaked. There was lucky speculation and lucky rumors but that’s just what it was, lucky guesses. I think it’s important that when you support a characters inclusion that you take everything you hear in regards to their inclusion/exclusion with a massive grain of salt. Especially if it’s coming from some rando on the internet.

3. Lastly, misinformation spreads like wildfire here.

It’s honestly incredible to see how twisted words can get, the lies the some people formulate, and the “I heard this on the internet, so it must be true” mentality that some people use in regards to Smash Speculation. It causes a toxic exchange of information that leads to chaos.

I may just be unconsciously in denial about Sora, but from what I watched, that was all just speculation. Everyone just needs to relax and wait to see who gets revealed over the span of the next two years. (All of 2020 and 2021.) This is going to be a nightmare submerged in a dumpster fire on a Monday.

D

Deleted member

So, I finally got around to that Sora deconfirmation/ Master Chief video everyone was talking about yesterday, and I saw what was said. I’ve come to a few conclusions about the whole ordeal.

1. We are all so desperate for information that at the first mention of a character possibly being or not being in Smash sends us into a frenzy of jumping to conclusions, grasping at straws, and misconstruing people’s words.

The words Mr. Kahn had to say in regards to Sora came off, to me, like 100% pure speculation. There was no inflection in his tone that insinuated otherwise. He even said “I think”, and because many of you know he was once an insider and probably still has insider connections, you put your tinfoil hats on and somehow came to the conclusion that “Sora is deconfirmed! Wrap it up guys, show is over for Sora.” Just, no. How did any of you reach that conclusion?

2. The only people who truly, 100%, without a doubt, know the fighters of Fighters Pass Volume 2. are Sakurai, his team, and some big shots at Nintendo.

Could some information slipped through the grape vine? Of course it could have, but I think that’s something Nintendo would have under pretty tight wraps. Look at Fighter Pass Volume 1. None of the characters ever really leaked. There was lucky speculation and lucky rumors but that’s just what it was, lucky guesses. I think it’s important that when you support a characters inclusion that you take everything you hear in regards to their inclusion/exclusion with a massive grain of salt. Especially if it’s coming from some rando on the internet.

It’s honestly incredible to see how twisted words can get, the lies the some people formulate, and the “I heard this on the internet, so it must be true” mentality that some people use in regards to Smash Speculation. It causes a toxic exchange of information that leads to chaos.

I may just be unconsciously in denial about Sora, but from what I watched, that was all just speculation. Everyone just needs to relax and wait to see who gets revealed over the span of the next two years. (All of 2020 and 2021.) This is going to be a nightmare submerged in a dumpster fire on a Monday.
I fully understand the point. As someone who has experience from being hunrgy for informartion., I pretty much agree with the fact that most of us will turn to fake news at this point.

Everyone should at least learn to take everything with TONS of grains of salt and not assume everything to be true. Even if it supports something that will favor what they want. Hell, this is why I left my ex-friend in the first place! People need to learn the virtue of patience., but even so, I am guilty of being impatient for news, though I wouldn't degrade myself to believing falsifications like this.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
HMK doesn't believe Imran Khan.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Kingdom Hearts YouTuber is skeptical of claim that Sora won't be in Smash without giving any real arguments to back this up.

In other news, bear found ****ting in woods.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man if it's only just them that knew which fighters are in Vol 2, we're either getting all 1st Parties or Nintendo has so much clout they'll add any 3rd Party character they want without the publisher's consent.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Man if it's only just them that knew which fighters are in Vol 2, we're either getting all 1st Parties or Nintendo has so much clout they'll add any 3rd Party character they want without the publisher's consent.
3rd party character would be more money for nintendo so i am actually expecting mostly 3rd party character this pass!
maybe 1 or 2 first party characters to please the hardcore nintendo fans..but that's just what i think

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I fully understand the point. As someone who has experience from being hunrgy for informartion., I pretty much agree with the fact that most of us will turn to fake news at this point.

Everyone should at least learn to take everything with TONS of grains of salt and not assume everything to be true. Even if it supports something that will favor what they want. Hell, this is why I left my ex-friend in the first place! People need to learn the virtue of patience., but even so, I am guilty of being impatient for news, though I wouldn't degrade myself to believing falsifications like this.
Exactly. I can understand being starved for information, seeing some about a character’s inclusion possibility and it making your heart and brain go “!!!”, but people are so quick to jump to conclusions and spread misinformation.

It’s “DANTE IS FP5!” all over again. It’s like no one learns from history. Some leaker, influencer, or insider guesses something right, and then the next time they guess something everyone goes “They have spoken. Their word is law. (Insert character here.) is FP6!” Then they are wrong and the leaker backtracks and says something along the lines of “Well my source said...” so they aren’t at fault. We are experiencing this right now. That person got Byleth right which, in all honesty, wasn’t that far fetched of a choice, and now everyone is saying “Well that person got Byleth right! So Crash is next because they said so!”. I even speculated Byleth when Three Houses was first revealed, and got called crazy for it for insinuating another Fire Emblem character would be added in. Does that make me a credible leaker? No. I threw the dart, blindfolded, and happen to hit the bullseye after missing 50 times.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't mind third-parties, but I do think they should be spaced out more between other Nintendo characters. I'm not saying third-parties don't belong, but Smash has always had a focus on Nintendo franchises. That's kinda what got me hooked in the first place.

Plus, it's way harder to get a third-party you want than it is with first-parties. It's one company's characters vs all (realizable) video game characters in existence.
Its actually not as easy as you think..even when dealing with characters your company owns, you often have to ask the dev team for that series if you can use them. As an example that I heard from someone at Capcom, they had wanted to use Monster Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom 3 but the Monster Hunter team denied them use. Similarly, the Pokémon Company denied Nintendo use of some elements for Super Mario Maker and completely for Yoshi's Woolly World.
Yes, its like likely to get denied, but its not as easy as it sounds.

What hooked me to Smash 64 wasn't that they were all Nintendo characters, it used 5 of my favorite series (Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, DK, Yoshi). While I was aware that they were all Nintendo series, its not what I liked about it, it was the crossover element of series I loved. This is why when Snake was revealed for Smash, I was overjoyed since it meant seeing more series I loved getting included in Smash..I was admittedly running out of Nintendo series/characters I really, really wanted.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

It was speculation. Im 100% sure. Lol I think some people may have only played a snippet of the conversation, but same dude even says around 26:50 that he believes we will either get MC or Sora.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Of all the things, couldn't believe my post was the one that lit the fire regarding Sora. Really ****ing uncomfortable that I ended up playing messenger in this whole ordeal.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think for the most part, the third party negative reactions on these responses seems fixated on Sora. Which makes sense, as characters that are very popular in the core fanbase will also draw a lot of irrational hate. See Banjo & Kazooie's character trailer being simultaneously the most liked and the second most disliked among the english trailers on Youtube.
Worth remembering that this was a different time as well, back when we only had Snake and Sonic there was a big focus on 3rd parties needing to be "worthy" of inclusion. There were genuine arguments on here about whether or not Pac-Man was worthy of inclusion, just because he wasn't going to be using his oldschool cheese sprite, so you can bet ya that Sora wasn't considered anywhere near big enough by those same people, especially not as KH was in a bit of a lull at the time. Sora definitely wasn't extremely popular during Smash 4 speculation either, lots of people probably liked the idea, but they weren't very vocal since he was considered extremely unrealistic, like so many third parties were before Cloud shook things up.

His point about an NDA doesn't make much sense, Imran himself absolutely isn't tied to any NDA about those negotiations, so he can easily just throw it out there casually as long as he knows from his source that it's okay. If anyone is even tied to an NDA (negotiations failed, so might not even be the case) they're likely very, very far down the grapevine. Furthermore, an NDA is practically always involved with any product, if we follow this guy's argument then nothing would ever leak, which is obviously not the case.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Kingdom Hearts YouTuber is skeptical of claim that Sora won't be in Smash without giving any real arguments to back this up.

In other news, bear found ****ting in woods.
Dunno what that has to do with anything (I say this as someone who doesn't want Sora purely because I hate Disney)

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Of all the things, couldn't believe my post was the one that lit the fire regarding Sora. Really ****ing uncomfortable that I ended up playing messenger in this whole ordeal.
You’re fine. It’s Sora today. It’ll be (insert character here) tomorrow. Smash Speculation is a war zone, and the slightest bit of information of misinformation are the land mines that cause the carnage.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
*Politely asks HMK for source on GameInformer saying Disney/Square weren't getting along on his Twitter post*
*He deletes his tweet saying what Imran Khan said is bull*****

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Dunno what that has to do with anything (I say this as someone who doesn't want Sora purely because I hate Disney)
HMK is a prominent Kingdom Hearts YouTuber who has made himself one of the biggest public supporters of Sora for Smash. He has a noted, vested interest in seeing Sora join the battle. As such, I have doubts about using him as an unbiased source to argue against Imran's statements about Sora not being Smash.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Its actually not as easy as you think..even when dealing with characters your company owns, you often have to ask the dev team for that series if you can use them. As an example that I heard from someone at Capcom, they had wanted to use Monster Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom 3 but the Monster Hunter team denied them use. Similarly, the Pokémon Company denied Nintendo use of some elements for Super Mario Maker and completely for Yoshi's Woolly World.
Yes, its like likely to get denied, but its not as easy as it sounds.

What hooked me to Smash 64 wasn't that they were all Nintendo characters, it used 5 of my favorite series (Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, DK, Yoshi). While I was aware that they were all Nintendo series, its not what I liked about it, it was the crossover element of series I loved. This is why when Snake was revealed for Smash, I was overjoyed since it meant seeing more series I loved getting included in Smash..I was admittedly running out of Nintendo series/characters I really, really wanted.
An unfortunate side-effect of the current third-party additions is that the bar has been raised "too high". Some people consider anything less than Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief a disappointment now, and that's pretty ungrateful.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Hey so I came across some interesting info about Sora

Yeah I'm not surprised Disney's the issue
Wait, did people not know about this? It's one of the main reasons I've been thinking Sora isn't getting in, and I know I'm not the only one who brought it up.

Seriously, if Square can't get Sora into a Final Fantasy game, one of the main components of Kingdom Hearts as a franchise as a whole (I know the role diminishes overtime but you get the idea) without having to go through hoops, how the hell do you expect Disney to let Sora into SMASH BROTHERS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From what I've heard, Alph was actually the opposite case as Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario where-in he was originally going to be a separate character and use Rock Pikmin but they ended up scrapping that and just made him an alternate costume instead.
Though considering Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and the Koopalings were all either originally or are alternate costumes, it wouldn't have been that odd..would you want them to just say 'Olimar' still?
My only guess is that either they weren't satisfied with his differences or Pikmin wasn't a popular enough series to split him off.
Alternatively doing yet another Pikmin itself took too long and they scrapped Rock Pikmin altogether(or had no time to implement it).

Just to clarify, Rock Pikmin and Alph as a clone were separated thoughts. Rock Pikmin were intended with Olimar in general. Alph was considered as a clone(I think some work done too, but I forget that detail). In the end, the costume was decided upon since they weren't(for no reason given) able to make him a clone.

To be honest, it's not that being a costume is bad, it's that the animations and lack of voice make Alph look a lot different than he really is in his home games. So it's a disservice to the character. Even a voice would help a bit. Sure, the Pikmin are a core part of the character too(and either a lack of time or not having an idea of how to make the Pikmin and Alph combined stand out) are a thing too, but you could split up the Pikmin more or use only 3 Pikmin per character(or slightly more). You still have Rock Pikmin, Bulbmin, as well. You could even give Alph the Pikmin chain. Even if he became a fairly eh Echo Fighter like Daisy, just the animation changes alone(voice or no voice) would do wonders.

Keep in mind I'm not all that bothered he's a costume, but only cause I view Pikmin themselves as a core part of the character(and it was named Pikmin & Olimar in Japan, making it akin to Rosalina & Luma, though considering what the franchise is and the Pikmin kind of the general stars of the series, it makes some sense. That, and Olimar is described as "needing Pikmin to actually do stuff" on his Brawl profile page paints the picture of how important the partnership is to the design behind the character). So give more Pikmin, and Alph is an easy split in itself. Sadly, they might just pick another Captain instead for that...

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Seriously, if Square can't get Sora into a Final Fantasy game, one of the main components of Kingdom Hearts as a franchise as a whole (I know the role diminishes overtime but you get the idea) without having to go through hoops, how the hell do you expect Disney to let Sora into SMASH BROTHERS.
Finally... a man who gets it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait, did people not know about this? It's one of the main reasons I've been thinking Sora isn't getting in, and I know I'm not the only one who brought it up.

I was aware he wasn't voiced but not that he got ****ing deleted from existence, that seems so ****ing alien to me

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
HMK is a prominent Kingdom Hearts YouTuber who has made himself one of the biggest public supporters of Sora for Smash. He has a noted, vested interest in seeing Sora join the battle. As such, I have doubts about using him as an unbiased source to argue against Imran's statements about Sora not being Smash.
Yeah, while I too am a huge Sora supporter and advocate, HMK probably shouldn’t be the go-to person for thoughts or opinions on the matter because he is going to oppose anything that denounces Sora with no basis other than “I want Sora in Smash.”

I don’t believe the guy either, but still.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Hey so I came across some interesting info about Sora

Yeah I'm not surprised Disney's the issue

I was aware he wasn't voiced but not that he got ****ing deleted from existence, that seems so ****ing alien to me
Can someone elaborate on this? I had no idea about this. This is an interesting little morsel of information.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'm going to paraphrase Imran Khan here, because I see so much misinformation about the video in question:

"I think fighter pass 2 will include either Sora or Master Chief. Nintendo has approached Disney once about adding Sora to Smash. Disney Japan was the roadblock to it happening."

These are his thoughts. It's not a confirmation nor disconfirmation. He certainly doesn't believe that whatever issues there were when Nintendo and Disney talked previously are insurmountable, else he would not have opened the topic with the Sora/Master Chief prediction. All we can take away from it is that Nintendo wanted Sora at one point in time and Disney Japan stopped it from happening then. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom