• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If everyone is settled on the Fighters Pass being all 3rd Party, are people hoping it's more focused on Nintendo history or on gaming history in general?

Obviously Joker, Cloud and Snake open the doors very wide, but I am kind of hoping for people like Banjo, Erdrick/Crono, Lloyd Irving, Leon Kennedy and Ryu Hayabusa just because they do represent NES through Gamecube Nintendo.

I'm not opposed to an Amaterasu, Doomguy, Master Chief or Dante showing up, but I would be disappointed if 3/5 of the DLC are franchises that dont have strong ties to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Is Lloyd that much of a Nintendo-tied character? Plus I have to wonder if maybe Nintendo wanted at least one of their own within the FIVE DLC choices.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Is Lloyd that much of a Nintendo-tied character? Plus I have to wonder if maybe Nintendo wanted at least one of their own within the FIVE DLC choices.
Both Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4 were exclusive to the Gamecube for at least a while before going multiplatform (the fact RE4 had the "Only For Gamecube" messaging when it was 9 months out from launching on PS2...). They're not the most definitive characters, but they do illicit strong Gamecube memories from me at least.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If everyone is settled on the Fighters Pass being all 3rd Party, are people hoping it's more focused on Nintendo history or on gaming history in general?

Obviously Joker, Cloud and Snake open the doors very wide, but I am kind of hoping for people like Banjo, Erdrick/Crono, Lloyd Irving, Leon Kennedy and Ryu Hayabusa just because they do represent NES through Gamecube Nintendo.

I'm not opposed to an Amaterasu, Doomguy, Master Chief or Dante showing up, but I would be disappointed if 3/5 of the DLC are franchises that dont have strong ties to Nintendo.
It depends entirely on the characters picked. I think getting those that have some ties to Nintendo would be more fitting, but like you said, some of those characters, like Joker and Cloud don't have much of it, barring Spin-offs.

Take some characters like Doom Slayer, Lara Croft or Scorpion. There's plenty of Tomb Raider games on Nintendo systems, and all but 2 main Mortal Kombat games have been on Nintendo consoles. With Doom, there's been SNES, N64 and GBA games in the past.

Obviously not on the same level as series like Mega Man and Castlevania but are still fairly important to Nintendo's history of third party support. Games like Doom and MK were huge back in the day so they have general gaming history associated with them. So I wouldn't call their ties to Nintendo weak either.

Rayman's another example, not someone who debuted on Nintendo consoles(but was going to), yet has a handful of Nintendo titles, from Rayman 2, 3, Origins, Legends, and some GBA/DS titles.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

Yeah, it seems to be all 3rd party, at least leaks seem to indicate more Nintendo specific characters than characters like Joker, though I guess that depend on your perspective on Nintendo specific/ historical 3rd party. I’m of the opinion that the characters can be modern and don’t have to fit your NES to GameCube as obviously the Wii to Switch had big players as well, just look at Bayonetta.

Obviously Erdrick is a big Nintendo 3rd party and if Ryu from Ninja Gaiden is chosen, then that would make two Nintendo icons of the NES.

Doom Slayer is a big debate character, though I don’t see why. He’s had his titles on SNES and GBA and even had an exclusive for the N64. In addition to that, the recent Doom 2016 has set expectations high for Switch as many didn’t believe a game of that size and graphics capabilities could work on Switch, but the title blew away all expectations. The series also seem to be staying with Nintendo as Bethesda opened up a whole new studio just to ensure that content is on Switch with Doom Eternal being the first day and date Switch release.

Steve is the other debated character, but honestly he has some pretty big points in Nintendo history. So far all Minecraft titles have been released on both Switch and Wii U with MC and Story Mode, and 3DS got the original. Minecraft was also a big deal for Wii U as the game came at the end of 2015 an$ went retail in 2016, you know, the year the Wii U was pretty much dead and Nintendo fans were starved of content. MC came at a time when no one wanted to support the Wii U and gave Nintendo fans a triple A 3rd party in the death year of Wii U to Switch.
I also believe that Minecraft will be the SA2 for Microsoft as they seem big on working with Nintendo after releasing MC on Switch, similar to how SEGA joined up with SA2. Already we got the biggest industry game changer in the form of cross-play due to Nintendo and Microsoft going; “ Hey buddy, want to play Minecraft together?” I guess what I am saying is, I believe Minecraft will go down as one of the big moments in Nintendo and 3rd party history as this whole Microsoft and Nintendo thing feels very similar to the SEGA and Nintendo partnerships prompted by SA2. Minecraft could literally get a past rival to become a partner, so I’d say that earns it a spot in the big Nintendo 3rd parties.

The only other characters I can see for DLC are from Ubisoft. Maybe Rabbids or Assassin’s Creed. Obviously Rabbids were born and have lived off Nintendo systems for years and recently got a Mario crossover, so I doubt anyone would question them being Nintendo icons. Assassin’s Creed isn’t that Nintendo specific, but it seems like Ubisoft has attempted to put entries on Nintendo systems with the Switch and Wii U getting titles.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'm still not sold on the Fighter's Pass being completely third party. Majority third party? Yeah, I think that's inevitable at this point. However, there's nothing to say that we couldn't get one first party.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I plan on leaving the speculation scene and this site for good on June 10th. I will be blocking the Smashboards site to avoid temptation and move on to a new point in life.

If you guys have speculation or any other questions to ask me before I go, now would be the time to ask.

I am pretty much going leave behind my encyclopedic knowledge on smash speculation and Sakurai behind that I acquired over the years. So I would take the chance to ask, but it is up to you.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I plan on leaving the speculation scene and this site for good on June 10th. I will be blocking the Smashboards site to avoid temptation and move on to a new point in life.

If you guys have speculation or any other questions to ask me before I go, now would be the time to ask.

I am pretty much going leave behind my encyclopedic knowledge on smash speculation and Sakurai behind that I acquired over the years. So I would take the chance to ask, but it is up to you.
I'll miss you, but I hope you enjoy the next phase of your life

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

You will be missed. Good luck in life!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Oh yeah before I forget, there are still support threads that I made that need new thread owners to take over, if anyone is interested in taking over, please let me know.

K.K. Slider
Frogger ( TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Octolings ( fogbadge fogbadge are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Chorus Kids ( fogbadge fogbadge ????)
Prince of Sable ( Nebelung Nebelung Are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Dr. Kawashima

I trust that Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth may be able to help out with some of these.

D

Deleted member

We are now 1 week away until Nintendo's E3 Direct, which means we're most likely in for at least 1 Smash reveal within the next 7 days.

We've gone over a lot of things, but if they run a Smash segment for the next Fighter Pack(s) at E3, how long do you think that segment will be? My guess is that Smash is going to get at least 3 minutes worth of screentime during the Direct.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We are now 1 week away until Nintendo's E3 Direct, which means we're most likely in for at least 1 Smash reveal within the next 7 days.

We've gone over a lot of things, but if they run a Smash segment for the next Fighter Pack(s) at E3, how long do you think that segment will be? My guess is that Smash is going to get at least 3 minutes worth of screentime during the Direct.
It might be even earlier actually given the whole Smash thing on the weekend.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fans waiting for news during Smash 4:

Fans waiting for news during Ultimate:

But seriously though, what has happened to this place in the last few years? It's like night and day. At least it won't be too long before new details crop up.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

I was thinking about doing similar soon enough as well, merely in terms of avoiding future leaks in the event that it turns out to be Erdrick who gets in after all. But yeah, good luck dude! If you have anything else to say about the Chorus Kids in terms of Smash, don't hesitate to say :)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
But seriously though, what has happened to this place in the last few years? It's like night and day. At least it won't be too long before new details crop up.
The specific Ultimate character subforums in particular are really dead sadly. This site used to be booming in the SSB4 days but it seems like a lot of people moved onto other places like Discord and such to discuss Smash news. A certain incident that happened in the general Social thread a few weeks back (which I won't talk about) caused a fair amount of users to leave too.

Here's hoping that E3 brings in a ton of users on this site.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I was thinking about doing similar soon enough as well, merely in terms of avoiding future leaks in the event that it turns out to be Erdrick who gets in after all. But yeah, good luck dude! If you have anything else to say about the Chorus Kids in terms of Smash, don't hesitate to say :)
I think I have said everything I wanted to say about the Chorus Kids back in my Ultimate Thoughts thread. I have a little hope for the character being in. I am crossing my fingers that they do not get left out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The specific Ultimate character subforums in particular are really dead sadly. This site used to be booming in the SSB4 days but it seems like a lot of people moved onto other places like Discord and such to discuss Smash news. A certain incident that happened in the general Social thread a few weeks back (which I won't talk about) caused a fair amount of users to leave too.

Here's hoping that E3 brings in a ton of users on this site.
Which incident? I've heard of several groan worthy ones, but nothing recently (I think).

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
more focused on Nintendo history or on gaming history in general?
Nintendo history always. I am okay with one Joker-type character, two is pushing it. So while I like my Team Fortress 2 and stuff, I don't think it quite belongs unless it was either born on Nintendo or has since been very present on it (like Crash, I guess)

Is Lloyd that much of a Nintendo-tied character?
The western perception is that he is, in Japan his game was multiplat.

The specific Ultimate character subforums in particular are really dead sadly. This site used to be booming in the SSB4 days but it seems like a lot of people moved onto other places like Discord and such to discuss Smash news.
Discord is basically killing all forums and its quite sad, I am too old to get used to using Discord for anything but small group chats.

---

Anyway.

Banjo.jpg

This seems to be from a very reputable leaker, someone who has leaked pictures from games before (This makes me think a media-related leaker? The multi-brand nature of this leaks also imply that). To me its a good lead towards Banjo on E3, on top of all the merch momentum going on.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I have to agree this site seems like this site is dead, I believe the reason may also be the fact that it is based around Smash, which at the moment doesn’t have anything for casuals to talk about besides 4 new characters. I wish there was a more specific Nintendo forum that isn’t just Nintendo Life. I feel like more game specific forums like these tend to die quickly... looking at you FusionFall forums.

I'll PM you the details since I don't want to talk about the incident publicly. I don't think it should be talked about further after this post.
got it...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I prefer to use Discord for talking with people privately. Now, suddenly, everyone uses it as a replacement for forums. You never saw that happen with Skype or AIM. Seriously, just look at Sprites Inc, almost no one posts on its forums these days. Maybe I'm just out of touch...

Also, as far as I am concerned, I am perfectly fine with Cloud/Joker-type characters as long as they had a Nintendo appearance beforehand. No, I don't care if it's "more of a courtesy than anything else", it would be more than a little impolite if you didn't have that before making a big showing in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I prefer to use Discord for talking with people privately. Now, suddenly, everyone uses it as a replacement for forums. You never saw that happen with Skype or AIM. Seriously, just look at Sprites Inc, almost no one posts on its forums these days. Maybe I'm just out of touch...
The worst part is that Discord is only usable if you have an entry link or key, so you basically have to search out groups that will let you in to discuss things you like. I like forums as literally anyone can join in, it really expands audiences for the better, but if by chance this site really loses traction maybe we should create a discord or something. I know the Bandana Dee fandom has one.

Potato_

Smash Lord
View attachment 225825

This seems to be from a very reputable leaker, someone who has leaked pictures from games before (This makes me think a media-related leaker? The multi-brand nature of this leaks also imply that). To me its a good lead towards Banjo on E3, on top of all the merch momentum going on.
Welp I was already betting on Banjo but this just cements that in my mind. The Era admins have always been very damn accurate whenever they hinted at stuff. This combined with that merch company hinting at some sort of Banjo revival makes an appearance of the Bear and Bird very likely.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah before I forget, there are still support threads that I made that need new thread owners to take over, if anyone is interested in taking over, please let me know.

K.K. Slider
Frogger ( TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Octolings ( fogbadge fogbadge are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Chorus Kids ( fogbadge fogbadge ????)
Prince of Sable ( Nebelung Nebelung Are you still interested in taking over the thread?)
Dr. Kawashima

I trust that Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth may be able to help out with some of these.
yes on both counts, though the conversation i was having with mods on the take over seemed to just come to a complete stall for no reason

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
Well if Erdrick and Banjos in. Assuming Steve is out or a mii costume. Smash Ultimate is pretty much...Ultimate. If the last 2 are Lloyd Irving and Leon Kennedy that’s just icing on the cake. By next week I would like to be able to say that Smash is definitively THE best Video Game of all time.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It'd be hilariously cruel if that Wayne Knight guy completely missed the mark and Banjo got Grinched again.
I'll PM you the details since I don't want to talk about the incident publicly. I don't think it should be talked about further after this post.
Can I also get PM'd the details?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's safe to say things will get heat this next upcoming week. Now that Banjo's got another rumor including him. Hope it will work out well for people though.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
So Banjo’s got leaks huh...

Well good for him, while I personally prefer Steve as I actually play Minecraft, I’m really not against Banjo. I actually just recently bought the stuffed animal of him from GameStop as I assumed some of his titles will become available to play on Switch.

I guess the race is on though, will it be Steve or Banjo. I’m rooting for Steve and have fun debating between the two, but since Banjo does seem to have more of a chance now, I guess I’ll send my respects to Nquoid Nquoid , maybe we’ll both get our characters.

7265E089-F908-40BD-8A5E-69D1814D750B.jpeg

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This is yet another meaningless leak. I mean. Come on. "Some literal who just made a random prediction that Nintendo would announce Smash in that one Direct! What's that? He got it right? Wow! He must be the real deal!" You'd think Banjo fans would have learned from the Grinch leak not to prematurely get their hopes up yet again, but I guess some things never change... Steve is still more likely because he isn't a cereal mascot from a dead franchise whose fanbase already overlaps with Smash's. Honestly. Banjo sucks and is criminally overrated. He had two mediocre games on an old console nearly two decades ago... So what? They didn't do anything to revolutionize the genre, there are far better 3D games out there and I don't really care for Kirkhope's music either.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We just got to wait and see on the whole Banjo thing. Could be real, could be a hoax. Either way, ****'s boutta go down again now that a new rumor's started.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is yet another meaningless leak. I mean. Come on. "Some literal who just made a random prediction that Nintendo would announce Smash in that one Direct! What's that? He got it right? Wow! He must be the real deal!" You'd think Banjo fans would have learned from the Grinch leak not to prematurely get their hopes up yet again, but I guess some things never change... Steve is still more likely because he isn't a cereal mascot from a dead franchise whose fanbase already overlaps with Smash's. Honestly. Banjo sucks and is criminally overrated. He had two mediocre games on an old console nearly two decades ago... So what? They didn't do anything to revolutionize the genre, there are far better 3D games out there and I don't really care for Kirkhope's music either.
Who pissed in your cereal?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Dude, no offense intended, but maybe you might like to see dig a bit further into rumours before jumping the ship like that. And I'm telling you this as someone who's really not a Banjo fan.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
For far too long, fans of "rosterwank" characters like Banjo, Geno, and Isaac have controlled newcomer speculation. Well now I'm fighting back. People got way too greedy after getting fanservice characters like Ridley and K. Rool, so now they think their literal whos deserve to be playable as well instead of icons that defined generations.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
For far too long, fans of "rosterwank" characters like Banjo, Geno, and Isaac have controlled newcomer speculation. Well now I'm fighting back. People got way too greedy after getting fanservice characters like Ridley and K. Rool, so now they think their literal whos deserve to be playable as well instead of icons that defined generations.
Imagine being this mad over other people being happy

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think you actually understand anything about ResetERA or its history of leakers and insiders and are just lashing out for the sake of it.

E3 will tell the tale. Let's see if Sakurai agrees with your hypothesis.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Dog, Banjo's N64 games are so damn good that people haven't stopped talking about them and clamoring for a sequel/remake even though he hasn't had a game in over a decade (and no one even liked the last one!). You don't have to like them, but they left a huge cultural footprint.

This kind of bitterness is bad for you, bro. Find peace, mon frere.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The weird thing is that he's used the "cereal mascot" insult more than once. It's just...such a bizarre way of dismissing a character you don't like.

Anyway, I'm always pretty doubtful of leaks, but I'm wishing BK fans the best anyway. Two of my most-wanted characters made it into Ultimate when I would have been satisfied with just one, so at this point I'm just here hoping for other fans' dreams to come true. (Still holding out hope for Porky and Pig Ganon though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom