• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I disagree with Sakurai here about DLC shortening the lifespan. Frankly, I believe after the Fighters Pass is completely done with development, Sakurai should seriously consider the achievement of bringing every veteran back and realize he can make Smash's roster more legendary by adding more Japanese gaming icons. If this is the only game where we have everyone and have an assortment of gaming icons, the only direction to go is up. He should do it while he has companies like Square, Konami, Capcom, Namco, and SEGA on Sakurai's side, happy to negotiate and trusting of Sakurai to implement their characters in Smash. The roster Sakurai is building right now can go beyond.
Would kinda say something if despite all of this for this amazing roster, there'd perhaps still be some attitude of "oh just save it for the next game". Though the way it's worded seems to suggest he doesn't do that with Smash? I'd totally love to see another Fighter's Pass or two and see how gloriously extensive it could get, though there of course may have to be some cut off for fighters in terms of DLC support and of course, Sakurai's sanity :D Like Smash 4's DLC maybe could have been stopped in part because of the imminent death of the Wii U and creation of Ultimate, was it? But could you also say there's no precedent for Nintendo supporting DLC development for over a year in the past anyway, but could Smash Ultimate still be the exception to this rule because of the general public's interest, it's gargantuan sales and maybe also because of its beautifully insane, special roster they must see fit to make even crazier?
Do you guys think with Splatoon being the recent big success and limited spots for base game newcomers because of the veterans direction prevented Chorus Kids from happening? I think this quote reinforced one of my theories for CK's exclusion in Ultimate's base game back in my Ultimate thoughts thread. This quote kinda makes me sad TBH that Rhythm Heaven has not received the character representation it utmost deserves.
Rhythm Heaven, while it hasn't seen a new instalment for Switch as of yet (but was referenced recently in Warioware Gold), was and still is an active Nintendo franchise, perhaps. Megamix happened to come out the year they started Ultimate plan stuff (2015), maybe not unlike how Smash 4's project plan (2012?) was a mere year after Fever came out for the Wii.

Looking at the seven newcomer slots for the base game and Piranha Plant, we have three picks influenced from the Smash Ballot (Ridley, King K. Rool & Simon Belmont), insanely popular recent Nintendo hits (Inkling, Isabelle and of course a Pokemon) and the unique oddball (Piranha Plant). As RH sadly doesn't reach the recognition of Pokemon, Isabelle, Inklings or even the plant, nor was it at least a notable giant in the Ballot, it seemingly, though reasonably, got out-prioritised by those options, while being a whole new fighter series as well that was going to need a stage and some music.

But of course, perhaps the only realisable way to make a RH character, as visualised by Sakurai himself, was through a rhythm-mechanic in their playstyle they just couldn't pull off in balancing and/or online input latency. Though it could have also/instead been a victim of "we just couldn't make it in time" that Sakurai mentioned in one interview, but who honestly knows other than the people behind the scenes...

Nquoid

Smash Ace
They did this for Smash Wii U

Mewtwo in April

Ryu, Lucas, and Roy for E3

Cloud in December

Bayonetta and Corrin in February

I think they’ll follow a similar format, but with two new characters for E3 and only one in February. Plus if one is Erdrik, than the west gets another character.
I forgot there was a 6 month wait in the middle there. How time has flown...

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Potato_

Smash Lord
Well **** I was hoping for some fun datamining news. Even then, I was wondering how Twiright would have any sort of connections to Dragon Quest.

Other than that, has there been anything else that's been officially datamined in the meantime? E3 really can't come any sooner.
We're probably gonna be getting early leaks for E3 soon, I believe Sabi claimed he'd have Nintendo stuff a day or two before the actual event. Datamining wise though I doubt we're gonna be getting anything concrete. I'd imagine after the codename stuff Nintendo's gonna be watching intently.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I did wish Nintendo followed the other companies that do season DLC and either do:

1.)Hints(Like Dissidia)

2. Silhouettes(SFV Season 1 DLC)

3. Reveal the entire line-up already(SFV Season 3). Heck even Sakurai mentioned about this in that recent book.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I did wish Nintendo followed the other companies that do season DLC and either do:

1.)Hints(Like Dissidia)

2. Silhouettes(SFV Season 1 DLC)

3. Reveal the entire line-up already(SFV Season 3). Heck even Sakurai mentioned about this in that recent book.
The issue is that they want each fighter to be a surprise on their own rather than splitting the hype between each fighter. Hints would cause certain fighters to seem inevitable, which only serves to stir up hostility from people who don't particularly care for the character. And silhouettes would be the same as revealing the fighter unless they do it at a dumb angle that no one can really say definitively that the silhouette belongs to anyone.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
That fake leak got me fired up, shame that it's fake. "Twilight" would've been a fun codename to speculate about.

I noticed that people seem to be judging the likelihood of Western companies by their contributions to the Switch, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate indicator. Looking at Atlus' track record, I only see the SMT games which have yet to launch their fifth installment and Persona Q2, which practically doesn't count given the time the DLC plan was finalized. In other words, Atlus had yet to give the Switch anything and still got a character in. Is it reliable to judge companies based on how they've warmed up to Nintendo's most third-party-friendly console to date?

D

Deleted member

That fake leak got me fired up, shame that it's fake. "Twilight" would've been a fun codename to speculate about.

I noticed that people seem to be judging the likelihood of Western companies by their contributions to the Switch, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate indicator. Looking at Atlus' track record, I only see the SMT games which have yet to launch their fifth installment and Persona Q2, which practically doesn't count given the time the DLC plan was finalized. In other words, Atlus had yet to give the Switch anything and still got a character in. Is it reliable to judge companies based on how they've warmed up to Nintendo's most third-party-friendly console to date?
Sega is who owns Atlus now and they have released a lot of games on the Switch including Sega Archives for the e-Shop. Plus, Atlus has pretty much either developed or published games on Nintendo since the NES/Famicom era and they were one of the top contributors during the NDS and 3DS ere where they released a lot of games on both consoled (mainly from the SMT and Etrian Odyssey series but also including a few cool single entries like Radiant Historia).

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Some spicy stuff is going on:

Apparently brave_twilight has been leaked. what do you guys think?
What does Twilight have to do with Undertale?

EDIT: Oh, it's fake... Probably should've read all the posts in this thread before replying haha.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The issue is that they want each fighter to be a surprise on their own rather than splitting the hype between each fighter. Hints would cause certain fighters to seem inevitable, which only serves to stir up hostility from people who don't particularly care for the character. And silhouettes would be the same as revealing the fighter unless they do it at a dumb angle that no one can really say definitively that the silhouette belongs to anyone.
Reminds me of the "Daroach seen from above!" incident, I don't think that stunt would be pulled off twice. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Reminds me of the "Daroach seen from above!" incident, I don't think that stunt would be pulled off twice. :p
Hold my Pokepuff's.

Edit: Oh for crying out loud Smashboards...

Anyway, Sakurai doesn't really strike me as the type to drop out deliberate hints. Well maybe subtle ones like the Pseudo Palutena thing I guess.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't get why people were arguing over Steve being iconic or a character people would be attached to.

I mean.

I wouldn't call making fan-art of Steve and using him in builds / building actual statues of him as things people do because they don't care about the character at all. People are attached to Mario for his gameplay, and sure for his simple personality as well, but people can also be attached to Steve for Minecraft's gameplay and him being a face of it, as well as whatever personality they imagined for him or even the old hurt sound. Steve has been a character I've grown attached to myself.

And people wouldn't be asking for Steve in Smash if they didn't really care. They could ask for a Creeper or whatever else for Minecraft, and I'm sure some do (I also want a Creeper), but most of the time you see someone asking for Steve.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people were arguing over Steve being iconic or a character people would be attached to.

I mean.

I wouldn't call making fan-art of Steve and using him in builds / building actual statues of him as things people do because they don't care about the character at all. People are attached to Mario for his gameplay, and sure for his simple personality as well, but people can also be attached to Steve for Minecraft's gameplay and him being a face of it, as well as whatever personality they imagined for him or even the old hurt sound. Steve has been a character I've grown attached to myself.

And people wouldn't be asking for Steve in Smash if they didn't really care. They could ask for a Creeper or whatever else for Minecraft, and I'm sure some do (I also want a Creeper), but most of the time you see someone asking for Steve.
I absolutely get your point, but in fairness, a large portion of the reason people request Steve specifically is because he's been leaked (or "leaked," I guess, depending on your perspective) for the better part of a year now as being at least in consideration for Smash, and as he's the "protagonist" of Minecraft, and Smash typically opts for protagonists first in almost all cases, he's simply the most sensible character to expect/wish for, if you're a Minecraft fan looking for a Smash rep. Kind of like there are a lot of (arguably) better or more interesting possibilities for a DQ rep, but Erdrick is the one whose name is thrown around, because he's a prevalent protagonist in his series and because he's shown up a curious number of times in leaks, potentially-real and obviously-fake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I absolutely get your point, but in fairness, a large portion of the reason people request Steve specifically is because he's been leaked (or "leaked," I guess, depending on your perspective) for the better part of a year now as being at least in consideration for Smash, and as he's the "protagonist" of Minecraft, and Smash typically opts for protagonists first in almost all cases, he's simply the most sensible character to expect/wish for, if you're a Minecraft fan looking for a Smash rep. Kind of like there are a lot of (arguably) better or more interesting possibilities for a DQ rep, but Erdrick is the one whose name is thrown around, because he's a prevalent protagonist in his series and because he's shown up a curious number of times in leaks, potentially-real and obviously-fake.
As far as I know, Erdrick is important to DQ's lore but has only been the protagonist in one game - though to be fair he does seem to be the most popular protagonist due to any references to DQ heroes usually using Erdrick's clothing from what I've seen.

And yes asking for Steve probably makes the most sense, but I see no reason to act like recent requests don't matter because of that or because of "leaks." Some people were probably afraid they'd get bashed for bringing up Steve but felt comfortable when he became a main topic of discussion due to relevant information, with other people probably loving the idea but not actually thinking about it until it came to their attention due to normally being happy-go-lucky or whatever.

I mean it at least shows that these people like the idea of Steve in Smash, I see no reason to treat their requests as irrelevant. And people have been requesting Steve for Smash even before the leaks, that's why the Steve thread exists in the first place and people asked for him on Miiverse when Smash 4 was still new. People may even request for him elsewhere, similar to people asking for Sora. People's voices just start to fade out either due to getting tired of posting it over and over again with nothing happening and so they just start to silently hope for the character, and may voice their opinion again when the character becomes largely relevant to discussion again.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know, Erdrick is important to DQ's lore but has only been the protagonist in one game - though to be fair he does seem to be the most popular protagonist due to any references to DQ heroes usually using Erdrick's clothing from what I've seen.

And yes asking for Steve probably makes the most sense, but I see no reason to act like recent requests don't matter because of that or because of "leaks." Some people were probably afraid they'd get bashed for bringing up Steve but felt comfortable when he became a main topic of discussion due to relevant information, with other people probably loving the idea but not actually thinking about it until it came to their attention due to normally being happy-go-lucky or whatever.

I mean it at least shows that these people like the idea of Steve in Smash, I see no reason to treat their requests as irrelevant. And people have been requesting Steve for Smash even before the leaks, that's why the Steve thread exists in the first place and people asked for him on Miiverse when Smash 4 was still new. People may even request for him elsewhere, similar to people asking for Sora. People's voices just start to fade out either due to getting tired of posting it over and over again with nothing happening and so they just start to silently hope for the character, and may voice their opinion again when the character becomes largely relevant to discussion again.
Oh no, their requests are absolutely both valid and relevant, I just think that there's a logical explanation for the targeted nature of those requests - people see the most potential in a particular character's inclusion, therefore they request that character in particular, now more than ever, y'know? But yeah, point taken, it's not like Steve had never been spoken of before his current Smash notoriety or anything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hold my Pokepuff's.

Edit: Oh for crying out loud Smashboards...

Anyway, Sakurai doesn't really strike me as the type to drop out deliberate hints. Well maybe subtle ones like the Pseudo Palutena thing I guess.
Subtle is the word, seeing as no one figured out there'd be two final bosses from the chairs, instead of random newcomers.

I've been saying that for eons!
Honestly, Razputin would make more sense.

Last edited:

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Oh no, their requests are absolutely both valid and relevant, I just think that there's a logical explanation for the targeted nature of those requests - people see the most potential in a particular character's inclusion, therefore they request that character in particular, now more than ever, y'know? But yeah, point taken, it's not like Steve had never been spoken of before his current Smash notoriety or anything.
I know this is a very specific demographic, but I remember on the Smash for Wii U and 3DS Miiverse page, that place was flooded with requests for Steve and Shadow to join the battle ALL over the place. Steve's been wanted and embraced by the Smash community for a long time. Granted, I do think the leaks have helped Steve fans feel safe talking about the character without fear of getting bashed online for it. I know that was the case for me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I know that the whole "Twilight" thing got debunked, but it gave me a new thought on Brave, assuming that the new fighter is still a swordfighter based on the datamined stats.

Twilight reminded me of Twilight Princess.
Brave is another word for Courage.

What if Brave is another Link?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know that the whole "Twilight" thing got debunked, but it gave me a new thought on Brave, assuming that the new fighter is still a swordfighter based on the datamined stats.

Then I'd be reaaaaaally disappointed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
"Twilight" has been confirmed fake so we should probably just bury it entirely.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Then I'd be reaaaaaally disappointed.
And now I just realized that despite there being three Dark Link alternate costumes, there isn't a Dark Link Spirit.

They have NES Link, Deku Link, Fierce Deity Link, Wall-Merged Link, ALBW Link, Totem Link, Ravio, Engineer Link, but for some reason no Dark Link.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

The only way I'd be into it would be if it was Wolf Link and Midna. And even then I'd probably rather Amaterasu...

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
The only way I'd be into it would be if it was Wolf Link and Midna. And even then I'd probably rather Amaterasu...
Man... Amaterasu and Phoenix Wright are why I want with every fiber of my being for Capcom to get yet another character in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And now I just realized that despite there being three Dark Link alternate costumes, there isn't a Dark Link Spirit.

They have NES Link, Deku Link, Fierce Deity Link, Wall-Merged Link, ALBW Link, Totem Link, Ravio, Engineer Link, but for some reason no Dark Link.
Does Dark Link have an official artwork they could use?

I vaguely recall A Link Between Worlds having one but surely there has to be more for such a recurring character in the Zelda series.....

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Does Dark Link have an official artwork they could use?

I vaguely recall A Link Between Worlds having one but surely there has to be more for such a recurring character in the Zelda series.....
Looks like he has artwork from Zelda 2

it's just an edit of link's normal artwork from that game though
edit: actually an edit of his art from the first game, I think

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though this is the first time Young Link has an actual Dark Link palette. Closest was more of a purple one in Melee.

I was hoping he didn't as a silly excuse to add a special version of Dark Link focused on the MM skills. Welp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom