• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I mean no offense by this, but I really do think people overrate Shantae as an upgrade candidate, as well as a pick for Smash overall. Seems as though folks oversell her.

Sans, Cuphead, and Shovel Knight are bigger names despite not being around nearly as long. The most they got were Mii Costumes. I just can’t see Shantae being added over them.
I wish I could like this post 20 times.

When people say she's the pinnacle of indie game characters it makes me want to vomit. There are a ton of other indie characters who are both more well-known and helped shape the industry more, but for some reason Shantae gets all the praise as The Queen of Indies.

And I say this as someone who loves her games and would really like to see her in Smash.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Besides Fire Emblem and Pokémon. Is there any first party game Nintendo would want to promote? Astral Chain got spirited post-launch. Animal Crossing and Xenoblade DF already got their main characters in.
Anyone I'm missing?
This is where I'd suggest Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, etc... if they existed.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

When people say she's the pinnacle of indie game characters it makes me want to vomit. There are a ton of other indie characters who are both more well-known and helped shape the industry more, but for some reason Shantae gets all the praise as The Queen of Indies.

And I say this as someone who loves her games and would really like to see her in Smash.
I agree as well. I LOVE Shantae's games, but I firmly believe that the first Indie character to be playable will be Shovel Knight.
But I do have an odd feeling that for the next Smash Bros. game, we'll be seeing a lot of Indie characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Saw this in one of my discords. Are there any characters not in Smash that you feel like 100% deserve to be in Smash. Like there are no counterpoints(or valid ones anyway, not that dumb **** where we had someone screaming that we cant have 2 DLC characters wearing trench coats in the game), no obvious reasons from them to not be in, and it feels like the only thing keeping them out is the fact they just haven't been picked yet. Overall, this character really should be here and them not being in it feels wrong.

I'm really not sure there is one. Inkling was the only slam dunk for me right off the bat and she was the first one taken care of. Interested in hearing opinions on this because it feels like all the must haves might be covered
Lara Croft. THE female video game protagonist and was big in the 90s.

Crash Bandicoot. Big in the 90s, iconic mascot of Sony back then and three way rivalry with Mario and Sonic.

Yeah I at this point honestly see her getting the Mii costume treatment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saw this in one of my discords. Are there any characters not in Smash that you feel like 100% deserve to be in Smash. Like there are no counterpoints(or valid ones anyway, not that dumb **** where we had someone screaming that we cant have 2 DLC characters wearing trench coats in the game), no obvious reasons from them to not be in, and it feels like the only thing keeping them out is the fact they just haven't been picked yet. Overall, this character really should be here and them not being in it feels wrong.
This isn't a character per say, but Koei-Tecmo developed multiple Nintendo-published titles like Pokemon Conquest, Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, yet they don't have any playable characters in Smash at all. If there's any sort of company that deserves to have a rep in Smash, it's them.

And there's also Layton. A successful and beloved series that has relatively stayed exclusively on Nintendo platforms for this long deserves to be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

At this point I think it's most likely that indie characters will be added as "deluxe" Mii costumes with a music track or a bunch of music tracks.
Cuphead is a Mii costume, but I still have some hopes for the Knight to become a full character.
I can think of a few indies that would most likely get mii costumes
-hollow knight
-Shantae(swordfighter) based on pirates curse
-shovel knight
-Steve or crepper(just a headpiece) it’s roots are indie
-the drifter
-Candace(crypt of the necrodancer) comes with tracks for tloz stages
all those are western characters

as for the indie fighter
I think it’s reimu cuz japan

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder how much the exposure of all the Sonic cartoons helped Eggman.
The main Sonic cast doesn't really need anything other than the games to be hugely recognizable, really. I wouldn't think the cartoons move the needle that much in comparison.

The only thing the Sonic cartoons did for me was make me wonder which games had Sonia and Manic in them.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Well, after Ridley and K. Rool happened, Isaac was really looking good. He was the last long term first party missing. But we know what happened. He is around speculation since Brawl, he is long overdue.

I'm not asking for the third or fourth character of an already represented serie, but the first one. Please, end my suffering.

On a side note, I saw mention of Elma. I would love her, she is easily my second most wanted, she would be great, but does she deserves a spot? Probably not.

On the third party part, I think only Phoenix Wright is really deserving a slot.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Besides Fire Emblem and Pokémon. Is there any first party game Nintendo would want to promote? Astral Chain got spirited post-launch. Animal Crossing and Xenoblade DF already got their main characters in.
Anyone I'm missing?
Dragalia Lost.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wasn't Pit a pretty big request back then? People kept telling me that was a factor, though idk how much it could stack to GS as I'm convinced GS was like ARMS, only really got big because there wasn't much else at the time
Pit was probably the original, "I want this character resurrected by Smash" character request. He was by far the most wanted retro character during pre-Melee, and during pre-Brawl up until the game's unveil. Isaac has been highly requested since the end of 2001. He has been a part of the Top 10 most wanted characters since. He has never been a megastar in terms of requests (I am talking Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man level), but the fact that his popularity stayed consistent over nearly 20 years is testament that he is not a bandwagon character.

By comparison, there have been characters whose popularity has come and gone over the last 20 years, but Isaac is one of the very few that managed to retain much of his fanbase. I think though unless Camelot manages to resurrect the series during the 2020's, that this will be the decade where Isaac starts to be gradually forgotten by the Smash Bubble.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The main Sonic cast doesn't really need anything other than the games to be hugely recognizable, really. I wouldn't think the cartoons move the needle that much in comparison.

The only thing the Sonic cartoons did for me was make me wonder which games had Sonia and Manic in them.
Did you know that Sonic, Manic and Sonia were all voiced by Jaleel White?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Pretty much...

But honestly I really feel that Joker would get nerfed in some way or another. I mean, after MkLeo's display of skill, you'd think the devs would tone him down a little bit.
Toning a character down because one person is doing well competitively just seems overly biased, if not silly and disproportionate.

However, what happens, happens. Ultimate isn't exactly my favourite smash game as much as it pains me to say it. It should be due to the large roster, but some gameplay mechanics just make me... annoyed when playing.

I'm not exactly new to my mains getting the nerf hammer and coming out worse than before, so there's that too.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pit was probably the original, "I want this character resurrected by Smash" character request. He was by far the most wanted retro character during pre-Melee, and during pre-Brawl up until the game's unveil. Isaac has been highly requested since the end of 2001. He has been a part of the Top 10 most wanted characters since. He has never been a megastar in terms of requests (I am talking Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man level), but the fact that his popularity stayed consistent over nearly 20 years is testament that he is not a bandwagon character.

By comparison, there have been characters whose popularity has come and gone over the last 20 years, but Isaac is one of the very few that managed to retain much of his fanbase. I think though unless Camelot manages to resurrect the series during the 2020's, that this will be the decade where Isaac starts to be gradually forgotten by the Smash Bubble.
It's really surreal to think a character like him has stayed relevant within the Smash fanbase as long as he did.

D

Deleted member

Toning a character down because one person is doing well competitively just seems overly biased, if not silly and disproportionate.

However, what happens, happens. Ultimate isn't exactly my favourite smash game as much as it pains me to say it. It should be due to the large roster, but some gameplay mechanics just make me... annoyed when playing.

I'm not exactly new to my mains getting the nerf hammer and coming out worse than before, so there's that too.
Hell, I found out that Marth/Lucina sucked im the early days of Smash 4 and it ALMOST made me hate the game until Sheik, ZSS, and Bayonetta were at their prime and this gave me a bit of motivation.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Kid Icarus explicitly got in as a retro rep though. The criteria for Pit's inclusion was separate from that of another newcomer, like Diddy.

Golden Sun definitely should've gotten in at Brawl though. At the time Golden Sun was one of Nintendo's prominent IPs, and it would've made sense to promote it. Isaac also definitely could've brought a lot in terms of moveset at the time that he wouldn't necessarily bring now.
Oh right! It’s only recently that I keep forgetting Kid Icarus was considered a retro franchise not too long ago.

Yeah, I know she has a big fan base, and heck, I might be part of it.
But for some strange reason, she hasn’t made the splash that some other recent indies have.

I don’t remember, do Sans and Cupheadhave Spirits?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Hell, I found out that Marth/Lucina sucked im the early days of Smash 4 and it ALMOST made me hate the game until Sheik, ZSS, and Bayonetta were at their prime and this gave me a bit of motivation.
Good to see ZSS is still viable at least. Sheik and Bayo though... lol xD

D

Deleted member

Good to see ZSS is still viable at least. Sheik and Bayo though... lol xD
ZSS literally saved the entire character of Samus Aran in my eyes. I wanted to add regular Samus as a consistent main of mine if she wasn't in Brawl but thankfully she is added as well. Finally a rewarding version of a character I like.

But ever since I found out that regular Samus was a usable character I decided to pick up Dark Samus for the villain factor.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Nope. Just a costume and a track.

Perhaps going forward that's how Sakurai might handle some requests....
He said something like that twice. Once when he talked about Geno, and another one in Banjo's stream. That said, the fact that these brand-new costumes aren't representing popular characters like it happened with King K. Rool and Lloyd leads me to believe we won't be seeing more of those for a while.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
“Deserve” i would say Crash. He was the launch mascot for the PS1 — the character Sony put against Mario and Sonic — and his series was massively popular.
He is more deserving than most characters currently in the game, due to popularity and place in gaming history

D

Deleted member

Steve's indie roots don't matter, he's not indie anymore and that wouldn't be taken into consideration if he's a costume instead of a fighter.
I'm really curious as to how Sakurai will handle Minecraft in the game.

D

Deleted member

Steve's indie roots don't matter, he's not indie anymore and that wouldn't be taken into consideration if he's a costume instead of a fighter.
Of corse they do

that would be like saying undertales indie roots don’t matter because of how big it is now

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

I'm really not sure there is one. Inkling was the only slam dunk for me right off the bat and she was the first one taken care of. Interested in hearing opinions on this because it feels like all the must haves might be covered
Isaac,Lloyd Lrving and Pheonix Wright come to mind.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Of corse they do

that would be like saying undertales indie roots don’t matter because of how big it is now
No it isn’t that’s absurd. It’s still two completely different scenarios. Size vs actually no longer being indie. I’ve is official one is unofficial

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Of corse they do

Undertale isn't literally owned by a huge company like Minecraft and Mojang are now, though.

In terms of actual indies, the only one I could see happening after the content we got for Undertale and Cuphead is Reimu, but even then I'm skeptical for her chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom