• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, how could anyone think that that character that only has one move in his home games might not be interesting to play!
I think by the third game he has quite a few moves.

EDIT: Besides, having few abilities never really stopped characters from being interesting from a gameplay standpoint. :ultrob::ultpacman::ultpiranha::ultisabelle:

I've never played a Crash game, I've never wanted to, and I think his design is kind of boring.
I didn't like Crash Bandicoot N' Sane Trilogy all that much. I didn't get past the first game because it's difficult, and the controls feel much looser than they should be (and then Joy-Con drift stopped me from playing altogether). Apparently it's because they replaced the physics of the first two games with the physics of the third game. The live system the games have doesn't work in the game's favor either, though its load times are leagues better than Spyro Reignited Trilogy's load times at least.

If anyone does want to pick up the game, my advice would be to go into it thinking that it's a rage game instead of just a normal platformer.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Ngl, you sound like the MVC guy who labeled all of the characters as “functions”.

Also, Crash being cartoony is where the similarities end. He would be incredibly different from Banjo. (Jetpack, Bazooka, riding animals, ect)

Getting conflicting viewpoints from this post.

You call Smash Bros a “legendary crossover series” and you say how incredible it is that some of gamings biggest stars are in the game, but then you try and make an argument on why arguably the most recognizable character from the PS era shouldn’t be added?

I get that its your opinion, but these viewpoints contradict each other. If you wanted to see Ultimate add as many stars as possible, its a bit puzzling why you wouldn’t want to finally see Nintendo VS Sega VS Playstation happen. (I know he is owned by Activision now, but to finally recreate this rivalry would be massive)

And Crash’s popularity for Smash spiked after the Switch port announcement. It was when all of his fans came out of the woodwork and realized he finally had a shot.
I’m sorry if my viewpoint comes off confusing. You seemed to miss my point in regards to Crash in Smash as a whole.

Super Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo and gaming’s biggest stars. Yes.

I don’t see the Mario Vs Sonic Vs Crash argument gives Crash credit for inclusion because I never recall this supposed rivalry between the 3. Mario Vs. Sonic, yes.

Yes, I know Crash is popular. Yes, I know Crash is requested and wanted by fans. I did not see a spike in his inclusion until after the reveal of Banjo-Kazooie.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is, to me, Crash lacks a certain appeal that I don’t get from other characters that have already made it into the game, and others who are speculated.

I’m not discrediting Crash’s popularity or fans. I know it exist, but to the extent some are making it out to be, I feel there’s an over exaggeration.

There’s no need for a PS rep. There’s better choices that could be made instead of Crash Bandicoot. More interesting choices that would be a better fit.

That’s just my opinion on the matter. I never realized the rivalry when I was younger. Never even heard it verbalized in any sense. Regardless, if he gets in, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Crash Bandicoot just isn’t an icon of gaming to me, nor his franchise. Fun? yes. Popular? yes. An icon? Debatable.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I recall his first game on the Playstation sold as many as any Mario games IIRC. Somewhere around those lines at least.
The 3 original Crash Bandicoot games are among the 10 best selling games of the Playstation.
And the N. Sane trilogy sold more than 10 million units.

Honestly I don't really see Crash as a "gaming icon". His first 3 games where huge success, but he never have a really huge influence in the industry like the other huge Playstation games (Gran Turismo, Tomb raider, Resident evil, Metal gear solid, Final fantasy 7). He was also completely forgotten for like 15 years because he didn't have any games, and his other game were mediocre. Sure he's kind of back because of the N.sane trilogy, but I don't know, he might just die out again if his game restart to be mediocre.

I don't think he have no chance to be in Smash, I just think that a lot of the Smash fanabse is over estimating his influence and how big he is.
I guess it's because each one of us has a different experience and a different perception about a character or a franchise, I for example never heard of Banjo during the PSOne-N64 days. That probably was because I didn't own a N64 back then and I didn't know anyone who had the console.

About Crash... I honestly think some folks here are underestimating the character and his impact back then. First of all, not being Mario in terms of popularity isn't a bad thing, I mean... it's ****ing Mario.
Yeah, the character was dead for a good amount of years, but even during those years people still remembered him and asking Activision and even Sony to bring him back or something. Of all the retro/classic characters with demand to be brought back Crash was by far the most popular one.

I think that some people who don't find Crash that big of a deal is because they only owned Nintendo consoles or are people that only cares about Nintendo related things. Not saying this as something bad! I'm saying this because I'm a bit shocked that some people seem to think Crash is not more popular than characters like Banjo when overall if we don't talk from a Nintendo viewpoint Crash is way bigger than B&K.
Not talking about the character itself and how he would play in Smash. That's a different story but I will say that not every character in the roster needs to have a gimmick or a super complex moveset to be cool, fun and interesting. Also, sometimes you choose to play with that character because you genuinely like him.

His original games maybe weren't revolutionary. As someone who played these games back then a lot of times, I wouldn't describe these games as influential or revolutionary. But I don't think that a game being a landmark in gaming is a requirement to be good. If that was the case we would only talk about very few characters. And of course, a character can be famous and recognizable enough even if his games were bad.
I know this is a thing that people says a lot, but it's true: if the original Playstation had a mascot that was Crash Bandicoot. People associated him with the brand and lol, A LOT of people still thinks that Crash is a Sony owned character even when the N. Sane Trilogy is available on Xbox One, Switch, PC and of course, the PS4. Even in this very thread I see people from time to time talking about him as if he was a Sony rep, lol.

I mean... I think that all of that for a "character that was completely forgotten during 15 years" talks only good things for Crash as a gaming figure. We all have different opinions, but I honestly think there's no discussion: Crash is a gaming icon (and one who resisted extremely well his years of inactivity unlike characters like Lara Croft) and he would be without a question a big deal, maybe even bigger than Banjo even if he's not owned by Microsoft or Sony. Crash definitely has the star power to headline the E3 as DLC or to be the first character in the pass.

Besides all of that, of course it also helps the fact that he was a Playstation character back then, so his inclusion would be very similar to Cloud in some level. The Sony vs Nintendo rivalry and all that. The difference is that no one was expecting Cloud as a serious contender for DLC a few years ago, Crash in the other hand is almost considered a lock from some people. If you ask me no one is a lock and the same goes for Crash, but Crash is definitely the first option that comes to my mind when I think of a new western character with realistic chances to make it.

Yes. Most of the demand for Crash started in the last 2 years, but his demand being recent doesn't mean that he wasn't a popular character before that. Of course, the release of the N. Sane Trilogy helped to that but if anything people started to see in the last years that a lot of third party characters were fair game for Smash and the announcement of Joker probably helped to reinforce a lot more that feeling.
Not having demand for Smash =/= lack of popularity and iconicity

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If you're not arguing whether Spirits are a hard disconfirmation or not, then there's really no argument to be had here, because it'll always just boil down to your opinion on the matter. Nobody will be able to convince you that Spirits aren't a likely indicator of a character not getting in as a fighter because there's no definitive way to prove that one way or the other. Even if a Spirit gets upgraded to fighter status, that still isn't definitive enough evidence to disprove your belief that it's an unlikely scenario. Same for two, same for ten, same for twenty. It'll always remain an inarguable statement simply due to the sheer number of Spirits in the game who won't get upgraded. I have no idea why you're arguing this point at all.

Now if you were arguing whether Spirits are a hard disconfirmation for a character or not, then we'd be able to have a proper debate about it, since that's something that can actually be argued using objective information. I've made a post about it arguing in favor of it being possible, if you'd like to check it out.
I’ve already responded to those points in different posts, but I can quickly do it again.

Spirits, while considered a “replacement” for trophies, are functionally different from trophies. They aren’t a 3D model to look at. They are meant to work as a concept of a character or idea, whereas trophies did not have this function.

There is also the finding that, to this date, we have been shown that particular spirits have been saved for particular times, shown by the Fire Emblem Three Houses spirits. These are different compared to the Astral Chain and Pokémon Spirits that we’re released without a character. This would be inconsistent will all other Challenger Packs.

We aren’t always going to be directly given an official “disconfirmation”. However, that’s more or less irrelevant. Sometimes, we have to make inferences based on the information in front of us. We don’t need the man to say something for it to be official. That’s been made clear with the first pass. More than anything, this is literally what “speculation” is- coming to conclusions about what certain things mean or what they don’t mean.

If it happens once, then while I wouldn’t be correct, I would likely view it as an exception. If it happens more than once, then sure...I would think of it more loosely. I’d also like to reiterate that there are characters I would love to be upgraded, but I simply don’t think it’s going to happen based on what I’ve read.

The points I made (all protags, from relevant games, Sakurai counting Spirits as the crossover, DLC characters needing to bring in all that new material and it making sense thematically) are measured and factually accurate. Does it 100% mean they will continue? Eh, maybe, maybe not. But I think to just look at it and say, “lol no”? I don’t think that’s really giving the argument a fair shake.

I think it’s fair if you disagree. But the eventual proof I suppose is in the pudding. To be honest I’d rather talk about something else.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Tbh this is Sakurai we are talking about who made coherent unique and fitting movesets and playstyles out of a robot peripheral who usually only turns around to place blocks and disc things, a dog and duck who in there home series really only laugh and fly respectively and a plant who usually only sticks his head out of a pipe. Crash would definitely have more moveset potential than those guys had at first glance.
Sure sure. Sakurai can make a moveset out of anything. I was mostly just mocking his incredulity at the very notion that Crash could be boring.

Especially given how Sonic, despite having way more to draw from, still has a kinda repetitive moveset.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
For some of those saying that Crash Bandicoot isn't a gaming icon...

Nintendo thinks otherwise.

v3Ppfk2PZiyvIxx0pBvTQY0zgw5gAXn0qmDC2MgLQas.png

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
For some of those saying that Crash Bandicoot isn't a gaming icon, Nintendo thinks otherwise.

View attachment 259592
Touché. However, as my own individual with a unique thought process, I still believe there are better character choices than Crash Bandicoot. Whether it be popularity, legacy, impact on the gaming community, relevancy, or company/franchise affiliation.

You have Monster Hunter, Heihachi, KOS-MOS, Dante, 2B, Lloyd Irving, Alphen and Shionne (New Tales Of Arise protagonists.), Sora, Amaterasu, Leon Kennedy, Lara Croft, Steve?, Master Chief, Tracer, Gran. The list goes on and on of different choices that I believe would be more interesting. All that are listed are listed for different reasons. Some of them, multiple reasons.

It’s just one man’s opinion. If Crash gets in, @ me. I’ll congratulate you and admit my shortcomings in thinking I was right.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's going to be funny once Waluigi or Geno gets in and the people going on about Spirits deconfirm come up with some wacky reason as to how they're the only exception or use some weird lore reasoning to justify it like "Geno is in because he posseses a puppet that doesn't count".

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Does every character really need to have some new, zany gimmick? Even if Crash is a basic fighter, that's fun sometimes too. Part of what made Banjo stand out was his refreshingly simplistic gameplay: He felt like a character that could've been here since Melee.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Hey gang, here's a spiffy little challenge you guys can try if you're up for it: choose at least one DLC character (or all 6, if you want) and assign a maximum of 3 different DLC spirit event battles that character can help represent. Said battles can come from any first or third-party franchise of your choosing, as long as they don't ALREADY have spirits in the game, so battles involving guys like Dixie Kong, Rayman, and Shantae are off-limits. I thought this might be a fun way to give the Fighter Pass characters something to do in the way of spirits, since practically none of them participate in events/battles outside of the ones in their respective spirit boards.

For Example:
Character - Banjo & Kazooie
Spirit battles: Ursaring (Pokemon), Monokuma (Danganronpa), and Tibbers (League of Legends)

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Does every character really need to have some new, zany gimmick? Even if Crash is a basic fighter, that's fun sometimes too. Part of what made Banjo stand out was his refreshingly simplistic gameplay: He felt like a character that could've been here since Melee.
Honestly a nice balance between simple and gimmicky would honestly be for the best. Not every character can have a zany gimmick to make them stand out and some fighters are better off being simple while others can have a fun gimmick.

It just depends on the potential fighter.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If/when Crash joins Smash, I knoe for sure he’ll be more satisfying than Hero at the least

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey gang, here's a spiffy little challenge you guys can try if you're up for it: choose at least one DLC character (or all 6, if you want) and assign a maximum of 3 different DLC spirit event battles that character can help represent. Said battles can come from any first or third-party franchise of your choosing, as long as they don't ALREADY have spirits in the game, so battles involving guys like Dixie Kong, Rayman, and Shantae are off-limits. I thought this might be a fun way to give the Fighter Pass characters something to do in the way of spirits, since practically none of them participate in events/battles outside of the ones in their respective spirit boards.
Character - Byleth
Spirit Battles: Shadow (Sonic and the Black Knight), Ivy, The Death Knight

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I hope not.
While I appreciate new unique mechanics, sometimes simpler things is nice too. Of course. Being too simple and too bread and butter is boring, that's why I like Banjo's case. He's not super different and inovative, but his tools bring something. Sometimes a simple unique attack like banjo's egg grenade and wonderwing does for me.

I guess for me, it's cool as long as the character offers some kinda unique way of killing (which is why I'll probably enjoy playing Byleth despite being insanely bummed by his initial reveal).

I enjoy Crash having some chances. Not a fan of the character for life, but I remember his face being in a lot of places back then and recently I even bought Crash N. Sane Trilogy to check things out. I'll admit the games don't seem to offer much to work with, but maybe Sakurai will think something. He did for Banjo as well

Speaking of Banjo, I admit I thought would be much more boring than he actually is. Heck, I wanted him, but I was really afraid he would be boring. Not the case, however. After playing him for a bit, I enjoyed him quite a bit. For Crash, I guess his bazooka and jetpack would have what sets him apart from being another simplistic character.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

For Example:
Spirit battles: Ursaring (Pokemon), Monokuma (Danganronpa), and Tibbers (League of Legends)
:ultpiranha: - Flowey (Undertale), Deku Baba (Zelda), Victribell (Pokemon)
:ultjoker: - Ezio (Assassin's Creed), Dante (DmC), Death Knight (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
:ulthero: - Morgan (Fire Emblem: Awakening), Hero (Dragon Quest 1), Hero (Dragon Quest 2) [I ran out of ideas]
:ultbanjokazooie: - Cubfu (Pokemon: Isle of Armour), Yooka-Laylee (???), Pikipek (Pokemon, mostly uses Kazooie attacks)
:ult_terry: - Rock Howard (King of Fighters), Urshifu (Pokemon), Sawk (Pokemon)
:ultbyleth: - Nemesis (Fire Emblem), Undyne (Undertale), Simon Belmont (modern design).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Being fair, characters with the meter gimmicks are also kind of getting a tad stale. Especially if they mainly boil down to "the more damage they get/give, the stronger they become and/or get some super attack."

Hero had a nice twist on the concept though, so I wouldn't mind seeing more variations like that if they can manage it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Crash's Victory animations:
  1. Great! But you didn't break enough boxes. *Crash gets pummeled by boxes*
  2. Almost perfect! But you got K.O.'d. *sad Crash*
  3. You did it! *happy Crash dance*

Simon Belmont (modern design).
I was confused, but then I remembered goth Simon. I'm so glad we didn't get goth Simon. I suppose it would have been fine as an alternate costume but I don't really like it.

Being fair, characters with the meter gimmicks are also kind of getting a tad stale. Especially if they mainly boil down to "the more damage they get/give, the stronger they become or get some super attack."

Hero had a nice twist on the concept though, so I wouldn't mind seeing more variations like that if they can manage it.
Stale? There's only three of them...

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Joker has arsene meter
Terry has his GO!
Little Mac has the KO meter
Lucario has aura. His meter is not visibile as a meter itself (only blue sparks), but it's there.
Cloud has his Limit

as for meters that don't relate to getting hit or hitting (spendable resources), there is the Ink meter, Wonderwing feathers, Robin's spells and levin sword.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Crash doesn't need a gimmicky moveset to be unique, but I'm also skeptical that Sakurai would make a moveset as unique and interesting as what fans would want. People really exaggerated how unique Banjo would be, and while he's still a very creative character, a lot of his more notable attacks function similarly to those from other characters. I expect something similar with Crash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

For Example:
Piranha Plant: Lava Piranha (Paper Mario), Flowey the Flower (Undertale), Carnivine (Pokemon)

Joker: Adam (Nier Automata), Dante (DMC), Sephiroth (FFVII)

Hero: Onion Knight (Final Fantasy), Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Banjo & Kazooie: Boone (Dillon's Rolling Western)

Terry: Rock Howard (Fatal Fury/Garou/KoF)

Waiting on Byleth's release to think of some for them.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Joker has arsene meter
Terry has his GO!
Lucario has aura. His meter is not visibile as a meter itself (only blue sparks), but it's there.
Cloud has his Limit

as for meters that don't relate to getting hit or hitting (spendable resources), there is the Ink meter, Wonderwing feathers, Robin's spells and levin sword.
Yeah this post pretty much sums it up.
I don't mind seeing characters with resource management type of gameplay like Inkling, Robin, Villager, Hero and whatnot.
The ones that mainly boil down to you getting some kind of powerboost depending on how well or poorly you play are kind of just there I suppose.

But that's just me..

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Yeah, how could anyone think that that character that only has one move in his home games might not be interesting to play!
Bruh...

Donkey Kong had no moves before SSB64.
Captain Falcon was just a racer.
Zelda had no moves.
Sheik had no moves.
Fire Emblem characters only had generic weapon attack animations.
Rob was just a toy.
Wii Fit Trainer just had yoga moves.
Rosalina had no moves.
Duck Hunt had no moves.
Piranha Plant had no moves.

Im sure there are some more I forgot. After all these years there are still people who underestimate Sakurais creativity. Even though in this case you dont even need creativity if you played some Crash games...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A Chrono Trigger spirit event would be amazing.

Crono (Hero)
Marle (Zelda)
Lucca (ZSS)
Frog (Greninja / Toon Link)
Robo (ROB)
Ayla (Sheik)
Magus (Robin / Ganondorf)

It’s too bad Spirit events don’t bring music.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Joker has arsene meter
Terry has his GO!
Cloud has his Limit
Terry's supers are more of a desperation mechanic than a meter. It also doesn't fall prey to the "wait until O.P., then engage" style of play since it just gives you two high risk/high reward attacks when you're at your most vulnerable.

Lucario's Aura is as much of a meter as rage and move staling are. Which is to say that they aren't meters.
EDIT: I think a better term for the mechanics would be scale. As in, your damage scales up as you take damage or your damage scales down with each use of the same attack.

Yeah this post pretty much sums it up.
I don't mind seeing characters with resource management type of gameplay like Inkling, Robin, Villager, Hero and whatnot.
The ones that mainly boil down to you getting some kind of powerboost depending on how well or poorly you play are kind of just there I suppose.

But that's just me..
So you just dislike comeback mechanics in general then. I think it's a valid complaint considering said mechanics are character specific.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
A Chrono Trigger spirit event would be amazing.

Crono (Hero)
Marle (Zelda)
Lucca (ZSS)
Frog (Greninja / Toon Link)
Robo (ROB)
Ayla (Sheik)
Magus (Robin / Ganondorf)

It’s too bad Spirit events don’t bring music.
They also only ever have 4 Spirits.

I'd rather have a Mii costume with a music track than a spirit event.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Bruh...

Donkey Kong had no moves before SSB64.
Captain Falcon was just a racer.
Zelda had no moves.
Sheik had no moves.
Fire Emblem characters only had generic weapon attack animations.
Rob was just a toy.
Wii Fit Trainer just had yoga moves.
Rosalina had no moves.
Duck Hunt had no moves.
Piranha Plant had no moves.

Im sure there are some more I forgot. After all these years there are still people who underestimate Sakurais creativity. Even though in this case you dont even need creativity if you played some Crash games...
And, there's also the fact that Ness and Lucas don't use any of the PSI attacks that they are shown using in Smash, with the exception of Ness's PK Flash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
They also only ever have 4 Spirits.

I'd rather have a Mii costume with a music track than a spirit event.
Which is why it is better for him to be a playable character instead. Both outcomes present two different problems.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Chrono Trigger is a great game! Played it this past Summer and I really liked it.

If he can’t be playable, I think Crono as a Mii costume would be great. Would probably be a perfect costume to sell, maybe even as a Deluxe one with music.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Chrono Trigger is a great game! Played it this past Summer and I really liked it.

If he can’t be playable, I think Crono as a Mii costume would be great. Would probably be a perfect costume to sell, maybe even as a Deluxe one with music.
Chrono Trigger would be excellent in Smash! I would totally be down to see a Deluxe Mii Costume if it brought music. Obviously, a character would be preferred, but I'd take what I could get, ha ha.

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
Here are my predictions for fighter pass 2

1. Crash Bandicoot

2. Dante from Devil May Cry

3. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia

4. Rillaboom from Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield

5. Sylux from Metroid series

6. Adeleine & Ribbon from Kirby series

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You can tell how much of the Smash community haven't touched a non-Nintendo console in their lives when you hear that Crash Bandicoot isn't iconic. Next I'll be hearing that Lara Croft is a literal who.

*nervously looks at Mario*

Crash Bandicoot just isn’t an icon of gaming to me, nor his franchise. Fun? yes. Popular? yes. An icon? Debatable.
Yeah no it's not up for debate.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Chrono Trigger would be excellent in Smash! I would totally be down to see a Deluxe Mii Costume if it brought music. Obviously, a character would be preferred, but I'd take what I could get, ha ha.
The question is which track should be used? Boy would I love Corridors of Time. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom