• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here are my predictions for fighter pass 2

1. Crash Bandicoot

2. Dante from Devil May Cry

3. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia

4. Rillaboom from Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield

5. Sylux from Metroid series

6. Adeleine & Ribbon from Kirby series
I don't think that Sakurai chooses Pokemon just because of their types.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You can tell how much of the Smash community haven't touched a non-Nintendo console in their lives when you hear that Crash Bandicoot isn't iconic.
I'd make the argument that Crash is more iconic for his TV commercials than he is for his actual games...

I don't think that Sakurai chooses Pokemon just because of their types.
He doesn't.

But he should...

Last edited:

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
RileyXY1 RileyXY1 I would rather have Toxtricity but I feel like Rillaboom is going to be in because of two reasons
1. Donkey Kong's past final Konga Beat was planned to be in Ultimate but replaced with Jungle Rush, Rillaboom's Gigantamax form is a big wooden drum set
2. For the gen 7 rep Decidueye a grass type pokemon was almost chosen for Ultimate in the base roster

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You can tell how much of the Smash community haven't touched a non-Nintendo console in their lives when you hear that Crash Bandicoot isn't iconic. Next I'll be hearing that Lara Croft is a literal who.
People do that **** with almost all of the third parties lol

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Gale wants to talk about Lara Croft.

Lara is iconic as hell and a household name and came from an acclaimed series that helped pioneer the action adventure genre. Regardless of gender, many video game icons back in Lara's day were completely devoid of individuality, but Lara felt real. Betch had a ton of personality, a full name, an explorable house, and a believable backstory. Hell, when I was younger I believed that there was a real life Lara Croft and I am certain that I am not the only one she gave that impression to. Just look at this 4th wall breaking tutorial! Players were observers; Lara was in control the whole time.

I have mentioned this before, but Tomb Raider is what got me interested in video games altogether. As a young girl, I enjoyed watching my older sister play it and I would try to help her solve the puzzles. It took us forever to beat that s**t but it was so fascinating. It was not the first video game that we owned but it was the first one to genuinely grab my attention. I looked up to Lara Croft; she is clever, athletic, resolute, and talented. Tbqh, she's one of the reasons why I ride a motorcycle. She's inspired a ****load of people over the years. I've met other women who became video game developers because of her.

I'd like to see Super Smash Bros. interpretation of her because there's so much she can do. Tomb Raider is in the name, and collecting artifacts is an integral part of who Lara Croft is, so she can wield key items in her possession like Excalibur, the Spear of Destiny, AND Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer). My betch also has her signature dual pistols. She also has a motorcycle. Hell, her bow and arrow has a rope attached to it that doubles as a zipline. She can have a crafting mechanic that includes creating and managing smoke/incendiary bombs, shrapnel grenades, and poisonous gas mines. She can set things on fire with a torch. Wall jumping and clinging is one thing but so far nobody can wall climb. All of this and Lara also has her own style of athleticism not present in the game. Blending classic Lara with her modern self would be amazing af, but even if they choose modern Lara over classic or vice versa, both are badass and have a lot to offer.

In my opinion, a party fighter that doubles as a gaming history lesson would feel incomplete without one of the greatest of all time. Characters like Jade, Jinx, and Tracer owe a lot to Lara because she broke down barriers in the West. Her addition would mean "This is when women's representation in video games started to increase overseas and she is the reason why." Unlike Banjo-Kazooie, for example, Lara has never fallen into desuetude. She is a pop culture phenomenon. I appreciate that Square Enix did not only rely on nostalgia when they inherited the franchise. They created more than goddamn remakes and remasters. They took risks. She's able to evolve. She's able to move on. She's able to bring new experiences. She doesn't seem like a blatant money grab. Sadly I can't say that about Crash Bandicoot, for example.

What about Japan? Tomb Raider has made it in weekly top 5 selling games on more than one occasion. That is an accomplishment. Overall, it's noticeably more successful out there than Doom is, for instance. Of course they are also aware of Lara because of her success outside of video games thanks to her successful movie franchise.

What about other Square Enix characters? They acquired one of the top selling franchises of all time. The Tomb Raider series sold almost as much as f***ing Dragon Quest. Sales are not the deciding factor but considering Lara's history and accomplishments and cultural and iconic status, I can't think of any other series not present that compares. She has it all. It's a damn shame how underrated she is in the Super Smash community.

Thanks for coming to my Gale talk.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really hope Sakurai doesn't choose Pokemon just because of their type. This is something the fanbase does that irritates me.

We've had Sceptile, Decidueye, and now Rillaboom, and there's absolutely no way you're gonna convince me that people are less concerned about completing a type triangle than they are finding a Pokemon that would fit well in a game like Smash.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Which is why it is better for him to be a playable character instead. Both outcomes present two different problems.
Well of course I’d love for Crono to be playable! He is one of the original 2 characters I’ve wanted since SSB64!

For Ultimate I either wanted a more realistic Hero OR Crono, but if Crono were to become playable, I’d lose my mind (and co-main both).

Sakurai Seems like a big CT fan, something has to come out of that. Any kind of something.

From the Square-Enix side it looks less feasible..

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You'd think the "iconic" debates would've stopped a while ago, but here we are.

If Smash was only about who was iconic, we wouldn't have like, 70% of the whole roster. The lengths people still go to to try and gatekeep who can get into Smash is still honestly incredible to me when most of those fanmade gatekeeping rules got broken a long time ago.

Nowadays, what people mean by "iconic" in this fandom is "I like this, therefore it is liked by everyone and is a worldwide phenomenon, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Anyone who likes something I'm not aware of or familiar with doesn't exist, nor does that property because I don't know it."

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really hope Sakurai doesn't choose Pokemon just because of their type. This is something the fanbase does that irritates me.

We've had Sceptile, Decidueye, and now Rillaboom, and there's absolutely no way you're gonna convince me that people are less concerned about completing a type triangle than they are finding a Pokemon that would fit well in a game like Smash.
Sceptile and Decidueye did have popularity going for them as well. I'd wager most people find Rillaboom to be obligatory though. Personally, I don't really want Rillaboom, but if they must pick a starter, then I hope it'd be it rather than the other two.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What proof do you have, other than the grass starter meme?
Never mind, I saw this:
RileyXY1 RileyXY1 I would rather have Toxtricity but I feel like Rillaboom is going to be in because of two reasons
1. Donkey Kong's past final Konga Beat was planned to be in Ultimate but replaced with Jungle Rush, Rillaboom's Gigantamax form is a big wooden drum set
2. For the gen 7 rep Decidueye a grass type pokemon was almost chosen for Ultimate in the base roster
1. That was a leftover from Smash 4, as Ultimate was built on top of it.
2. Sakurai planning on adding Dixie Kong in Brawl wasn't why we got K. Rool.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since the discussion shifted to Pokemon, I have a question for you all. If we are to get a Gen 8 Pokemon, which one would you prefer the most?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Since the discussion shifted to Pokemon, I have a question for you all. If we are to get a Gen 8 Pokemon, which one would you prefer the most?
Sirfetch'd or Scorbunny. No, not Cinderace. I'm not gonna expect it though, due to that spirit event.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sceptile and Decidueye did have popularity going for them as well. I'd wager most people find Rillaboom to be obligatory though. Personally, I don't really want Rillaboom, but if they must pick a starter, then I hope it'd be it rather than the other two.
I'd much rather get a standard or Legendary Pokemon than any of the three starters, but if I absolutely had to choose one of the three, I think I'd choose Cinderace or Inteleon before Rillaboom.

Both Cinderace and Inteleon seem to be strong contenders for Gen 8's most popular starter, have anthro designs that are easy to work with, and have special skills that would be easy to translate into Smash (soccer player/projectile character and sniper). I'm not seeing as much love for Rillaboom outside Smash speculation, and his special skill of beating on a drum to summon vines is kinda hard to work with. Could it work? Absolutely, and I'm not saying Sakurai couldn't do something creative. I just believe Rillaboom is a lot harder to work with compared to the others.

Before Gen 8 was even announced, I knew the grass type would be who the Smash fanbase would favor, and that's what I find mildly irritating. Filling a quota has become the subconscious priority for fans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know people will give me **** for wanting a Swordfighter but Sirfetch'd is an adorable little bird and his face makes me laugh every time I see it.

Rillaboom would also be fun but that's just because I love the Grookey line.

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
I know Konga Beat isn't the best final smash but the unused model was likely planned to return to ultimate

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Corviknight is probably my favorite Pokemon in Gen 8. But I don't want another Flying or Steel type in Smash.

It's Frosmoth Time!

1579977744555.png
Dragapult is probably the more realistic choice though and brings Dragon and Ghost types to Smash.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm not too keen on any Gen 8 'Mon getting in, but if I had to choose I'd go with Cinderace since he gives me Blaziken vibes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
G Guynamednelson TheCJBrine TheCJBrine here is the proof you asked for https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBU)
The characters section talks about Decidueye
The character moveset section talks about Donkey Kong final smash
The first thing may not be related to Decidueye being a grass-type, but simply a cool moveset or something; he could still pick Inteleon, Cinderace, or another Pokémon, if any, anyway. If he does want a new grass-type, Rillaboom could very well be who he picks, but this isn’t concrete.

The second thing is just Donkey Kong’s original final smash apparently being planned, but going unused in favor of the new one due to the changes in Final Smash pacing and stuff. This would be way before Season 2 was planned, and probably before he even saw Gen 8 concepts (if he ever did).

Last edited:

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
Rillaboom's gigantamax form is most likely going to have a g-max move, and it could be better than Donkey Kong's konga beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom