• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It's going to be funny once Waluigi or Geno gets in and the people going on about Spirits deconfirm come up with some wacky reason as to how they're the only exception or use some weird lore reasoning to justify it like "Geno is in because he posseses a puppet that doesn't count".
Got a source for that?

We can argue about Geno all day, but Waluigis door has pretty much slammed shut, lol.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know a lot of people think a Gen VIII is likely because they put Byleth into Smash, but I really don't think it's happening for two reasons:
  1. We already have a new Pokemon for this game with Incineroar. I imagine that they always planned to put a new Fire Emblem character in the game since the beginning, but couldn't do it at base due to how things worked out. They already managed to put in a new Pokemon with Incineroar, so I don't think there's any real need for them to include another one.
  2. We not too long ago got a set of Sword & Shield Spirits. Yeah I know that there are more new Pokemon in the games than that they could use as Spirits, but as we can see with Three Houses, they didn't have a Spirit Event for that before Byleth, because they were already planned to be included as DLC. If that were true for a new Gen VIII Pokemon, we wouldn't have gotten a Spirit Event for Sword & Shield whatsoever.

Okay, I'm very confused as to what your point is with all this. Are you arguing that Spirits straight up disconfirm characters, or are you arguing that Spirits getting upgraded is mostly unlikely? Because I keep getting mixed signals from you. You keep making arguments that support the idea that Spirit upgrades flat-out aren't happening, bringing up past precedent and inference, yet you claim that that's not the point you're making. You say that it's possible that Spirits could get upgraded, yet you bring up all sorts of evidence to show that it isn't happening.

So which is it? Are you saying it's not possible or are you saying it's not likely? If it's the former, you're wrong. But if it's the latter, then I agree with you if only due to the sheer number of Spirits in existence.
As I’ve said, I’d never rule it out and consider it a complete impossibility.

I think it’s unlikely, and I base that train of thought on what I’ve outlined.

Sorry if I made confusing at all for you, lol.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It's going to be funny once Waluigi or Geno gets in and the people going on about Spirits deconfirm come up with some wacky reason as to how they're the only exception or use some weird lore reasoning to justify it like "Geno is in because he posseses a puppet that doesn't count".
There is nothing pointing to either those two right now especially the former and I seriously doubt we are getting 2 (3 if you count the Plant) Mario characters as DLC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It didn't occur to be but do you guys think the Ubisoft Mii costumes is an indication Rayman might be among the 6 DLC fighters especially given their friendly relationship with Nintendo?

Just something I thought I'd bring up if it hasn't before.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Ey, nice moveset, Opo. It cleverly utilizes a lot of Crash's items and elements from his own games, and overall seems pretty well-informed. It takes one marsupial to know another, huh?
When Crash appears on the stage, Aku Aku appears beside him, floating in the background beside Crash.
Is this his stage entrance? (or N.Trance, heh) Or did you not cover that?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It didn't occur to be but do you guys think the Ubisoft Mii costumes is an indication Rayman might be among the 6 DLC fighters especially given their friendly relationship with Nintendo?

I think that if Rayman was playable, the Ubisoft costumes would have come with him, so in my opinion it actually hurts him more than an indication. Also I still see Rayman has not very likely considering he's not very known in Japan.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think that if Rayman was playable, the Ubisoft costumes would have come with him, so in my opinion it actually hurts him more than an indication. Also I still see Rayman has not very likely considering he's not very known in Japan.
Oh well thought it was something worth bringing up to discuss.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
As I’ve said, I’d never rule it out and consider it a complete impossibility.

I think it’s unlikely, and I base that train of thought on what I’ve outlined.

Sorry if I made confusing at all for you, lol.
It's cool, man. Yeah, I agree that it's unlikely especially considering how many Spirits there are, but it could still happen.

It didn't occur to me but do you guys think the Ubisoft Mii costumes is an indication Rayman might be among the 6 DLC fighters especially given their friendly relationship with Nintendo?

Ehh, it still could happen, but I think it's kind of unlikely to be honest. If Rayman or any other Ubisoft character were to come, those costumes most likely would've come alongside them.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I think the opposite. I feel if Rayman was on the table, they'd have saved the mii costumes for him.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Neutral Special: Fruit Bazooka - Crash pulls out his bazooka and takes aim. Crash cannot move while using this, but when activated, a reticle appears on the screen. Using the control stick, you can aim the reticle, and pressing the special button again will launch a Wumpa Fruit. This is a fast projectile with considerable power, though Crash is wide open while using the move. The move can be cancelled, however, with a press of the jump or shield buttons, or if Crash is hit during the move.

Side Special: Death Tornado Spin - By just tapping this move, Crash does a quick spin, like in his jab, but slightly longer and with a different sound effect. However, holding the move will make it become the Death Tornado Spin, which can be held for much longer, does more damage, and allows Crash to move while spinning. As well, the move can reflect projectiles, and if it overlaps an item, including crates produced by Crash's down special, it will fling them forward at the opponent. However, the move does have quite a bit of end lag as Crash overcomes his dizziness. A powerful move with multiple uses, including aiding in horizontal recovery, but it isn't without its drawbacks.
Fixed that for you. As for everything else.

Up Special: Flying Platform - A small platform appears below Crash and brings him upward, with Crash raising a finger as if to say "up." The platform travels a set distance upward, but Crash can leap off it at any point and isn't put into helpless.
Sounds a bit cumbersome and committal if you ask me. Not to mention the jet pack is a way better form of transport to be his up special. The jet pack can work much like R.O.B's up special or could act like a vertical jump and explodes at the peak to cause damage.

Taunts:
Up Taunt - Crash gets down on one knee with his arms stretched overhead and says "Ta-da!"

Side Taunt - Crash takes out his yo-yo and does a trick.

Down Taunt - Aku Aku flies around Crash as Crash claps his hands.
I've got a better idea

Up taunt - First part of the Crash Dance where he looks both sides of him and does the crotch chop

Side taunt - Second part of the Crash Dance where he does the running man

Down taunt - Final part of the Crash Dance where he turns around and looks back to make a face

The best thing about doing it this way is that you can press them all together in sequence to do the full Crash dance!

But everything else seems good. Down special for the TNT crate sounds good and I love the losing animation with crates pelting on top of his head. Although it'd be cool that he spins before doing any neutral attacks like for his back air he spin around then does a kick behind him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rayman and Rabbids are also separated series. Though to be honest, what other Rayman-related costumes(and I mean his series specifically, not the separated Rabbids) that would work? I don't know the series' characters very well.

Also, it's not like Rayman has to come with costumes even related to Ubisoft anyway. I do agree this somewhat makes Rayman look less likely, though.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Crash is definitely big and iconic enough to get into Smash.

But let's not get crazy and say he's on the level of Mario and Sonic. If I'm comparing him to anyone's popularity, it would be closer to Donkey Kong.
Just as many people know about Donkey Kong as Mario.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
You'd think the "iconic" debates would've stopped a while ago, but here we are.

If Smash was only about who was iconic, we wouldn't have like, 70% of the whole roster. The lengths people still go to to try and gatekeep who can get into Smash is still honestly incredible to me when most of those fanmade gatekeeping rules got broken a long time ago.

Nowadays, what people mean by "iconic" in this fandom is "I like this, therefore it is liked by everyone and is a worldwide phenomenon, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Anyone who likes something I'm not aware of or familiar with doesn't exist, nor does that property because I don't know it."
I agree. But there is that layer of Smash that tends to include iconic characters. While smash doesn't have every iconic character in the history of gaming. It certainly has a lot of them. So people naturally try to tier them.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Rayman and Rabbids are also separated series. Though to be honest, what other Rayman-related costumes(and I mean his series specifically, not the separated Rabbids) that would work? I don't know the series' characters very well.

Also, it's not like Rayman has to come with costumes even related to Ubisoft anyway. I do agree this somewhat makes Rayman look less likely, though.
I guess a Globox mii costume could work if done well. I still don't see Rayman as that likely but I guess you're right that he's not really disconfirmed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess a Globox mii costume could work if done well. I still don't see Rayman as that likely but I guess you're right that he's not really disconfirmed.
Globox was on my mind, but I forgot his design. Are there any neat enemies otherwise? But hey, one costume isn't bad. Hat or full. Or even deluxe.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The only Rayman game I've played are Origins and Legends and most enemies are very generic, so I don't really see them being mii. I didn't play the original trilogy so I couldn't say anything about that.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah Mii costumes don't really mean much in regards to companies.
We could easily have gotten Akira and Jacky with Joker but they came with Terry for the fighting game connection and we got Team Rocket costumes with Banjo instead of Byleth, both of which got costumes with zero connection to either character.

Plus not including another Capcom character because they've gotten tons of costumes spread out across DLC would be silly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is this Isaac cosplaying as Strider with Wolf Link as a companion?
I was actually hoping that a Galford spirit battle starring an Isaac Mii Swordfighter with a Duck Hunt ally would be a thing.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Seeing these posts on how Crash would make me really hyped for something that probably isn't happening.

The only Rayman game I've played are Origins and Legends and most enemies are very generic, so I don't really see them being mii. I didn't play the original trilogy so I couldn't say anything about that.
The only character from Rayman I can think of is those sexy pixies. But that's not for good boys and girls is it?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
People literally used this as an argument against Banjo last year.
It doesn’t make sense for Crash either. Activision is an active partner with Nintendo, they even supported the Wii U past the first year. They’ve been pretty supportive of the Switch too with Crash, Overwatch, Spyro & Diablo all getting Switch games. Oddly enough no Call of Duty though, I’d buy a Switch version of Modern Warfare Remastered in an instant tbh.

Crash is a series that Activision is actively pushing right now; it would make sense on a business level for both companies to want Crash in Smash.

Yeah, that was because, regardless of what people say, literally the only reason Crash Bandicoot is on anyone's mind (for the most part anyway) is because of the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy bringing him back into relevancy..same with Spyro.

I could too, since, unlike a lot of Western picks like Doomguy or Rayman, Crash Bandicoot is very popular in Japan like it is in the West.
Tbf, not a whole lot of third parties were requested back then. From my memory, it was mainly Snake (a veteran), Banjo, Bayonetta & Shovel Knight. The latter 3 are all heavily associated with Nintendo too.

The third party requests definitely started getting bigger during Ultimate’s pre-release hype & then exploded with Joker.

He'd be nothing like Banjo except in tone and aesthetics. Their goofy colorful cartoon animals. But that's where the similarities stop. I do somewhat agree Crash is very simple. Unlike Banjo and Kazooie who have a whole bunch of weird and wonderful abilities Crash's abilities are kind of normal. He's jump and spin guy. Sure he has some things like a fruit bazooka, a jetpack, maybe some animal he can ride. But, meh. That doesn't sound nearly as funny as slamming a bird on the ground.
I don’t get what’s wrong with being “simple”. Mario is as simple as they get & he’s still super fun, some of his moves are really satisfying to land too.

As for Rayman, I really don’t think he’s happening sadly. Ubisoft seems almost desperate to get into Smash, but Sakurai must not care enough to give them a playable character. The Rayman trophy in Smash 4, developing two projects using Nintendo characters, the Rayman/Rabbids spirits & now the Altair/Rabbid Mii costumes but still no playable character? It has to be on Sakurai at this point.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The only character from Rayman I can think of is those sexy pixies. But that's not for good boys and girls is it?
There’s also Barbara from Rayman Legends (who was one of the three characters that Ubisoft submitted trophy models of for Smash for Wii U.)

I could imagine a costume based on Mr. Dark from Rayman 1 being decent as well, if it’s possible to make a Mii costume wearing a long robe.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
NOPE. This bad boy is from Samurai Showdown. An SNK classic that recently came back from the dead and is a damn good game series
I won't lie, that image reminded me of an armored Isaac. Just couldn't think of a Wolf to compare it too. But yes, that's really close to Wolf Link, won't lie.

I wish I played more of Samurai Shodown. I barely remember many characters. The guy that Haomaru or something like that, Nakoruru, and Earthquake. I played it first in the arcade, so it's possible I either forgot the guy you showed or it's from a newer game I never played. Really neat design, though.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
@Cosmic77 I hope so too but it looks like Sakurai is planning for Rillaboom
Sakurai isn’t planning for anything. Anything that we know of at least. Either this is phrased ridiculously wrong or you actually think Sakurai is planning for Rillaboom or any gen 8 Pokemon for that matter which is absurd as we know nothing about any of the dlc characters for the next pass

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai isn’t planning for anything. Anything that we know of at least. Either this is phrased ridiculously wrong or you actually think Sakurai is planning for Rillaboom or any gen 8 Pokemon for that matter which is absurd as we know nothing about any of the dlc characters for the next pass
I think that Rillaboom is a bandwagon character. It's only popular because it's a Grass-type starter and some people think that the roster needs one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that Rillaboom is a bandwagon character. It's only popular because it's a Grass-type starter and some people think that the roster needs one.
Or, hear me out, it's because they like Rillaboom.

Easily the best Galar starter design by far.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It's the best one, but there are still bigger omissions from Smash's Pokemon selection than any grass starter.

SKX31

Smash Master
It doesn’t make sense for Crash either. Activision is an active partner with Nintendo, they even supported the Wii U past the first year. They’ve been pretty supportive of the Switch too with Crash, Overwatch, Spyro & Diablo all getting Switch games. Oddly enough no Call of Duty though, I’d buy a Switch version of Modern Warfare Remastered in an instant tbh.

Crash is a series that Activision is actively pushing right now; it would make sense on a business level for both companies to want Crash in Smash.

As for Rayman, I really don’t think he’s happening sadly. Ubisoft seems almost desperate to get into Smash, but Sakurai must not care enough to give them a playable character. The Rayman trophy in Smash 4, developing two projects using Nintendo characters, the Rayman/Rabbids spirits & now the Altair/Rabbid Mii costumes but still no playable character? It has to be on Sakurai at this point.
Could very well be that CoD simply relies on much stronger hardware than the Switch is capable off. I could see a CoD Mobile port though because that is not reliant on high hardware.

As far as the Mii Costumes go, I'm not completely sure. I did find it weird that Altair's showcase used the main theme from AC2 and Brotherhood. Without that theme being included in Smash. Now this is nothing new (Bombing Mission was used in Cloud's trailer after all), but we do know that AC was at least considered and talked about. Regardless of whether Ezio - or any other Assassin - is in or deconfirmed [Edit: It looks like the latter, but not calling it definitive in case it's a surprise.]. Ubisoft does have a related possibilty: Prince of Persia (I'm saying related since the two series share acrobatics as main gameplay focus). And I wouldn't be surprised if he was also considered.

Sakurai's hangup could still be real, not denying that though.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I guess there are people out there who genuinely want Rillaboom, but I remember seeing Rillaboom support even before we saw his design; I remember reading "I want Grookey final form in Smash" way before Rillaboom was shown.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Cinderace is the fan favorite starter. I see far more about Cinderace than anything on Rillaboom

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Pretty sure Cinderace is the fan favorite starter. I see far more about Cinderace than anything on Rillaboom
I'd say the popularity comes more from Scorbunny rather than Cinderace. It reminds me a bit of Gen 7 when Rowlett was way more popular than Decidueye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom