• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Crash is definitely big and iconic enough to get into Smash.

But let's not get crazy and say he's on the level of Mario and Sonic. If I'm comparing him to anyone's popularity, it would be closer to Donkey Kong.
I think the most apt comparison would probably be Banjo.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If there is at least one first party character in the pass I do hope it is a Xenoblade one as the poor franchise needs another rep already. ;-;

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Let's note we don't know if Nintendo made the picks for Season 2 as well. They probably did, but we have zero information.

We really know nothing beyond the fact they'll have stages and music. I can't remember if they noted MIi costumes and Spirit boards too among the advertisements(and to be fair, the chances of those not happening are slim to none).

I hope we find out within this month or February.
I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure Sakurai said that Nintendo was involved again.

I’ll have to check when I get the chance to do so.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I still think there's a solid chance we can get and personally hope for a Gen 8 Pokemon Sword and Shield rep, It will likely come down to the 3 starters final evolutions as this is just based on what "The Pokemon Company" usually likes to push and market via the anime.

They normally go with Ash's fully evolved main starter during the current region/generation for a Smash fighter (Charizard/Greninja/Incineroar) and I think it will come down to either Grookey/Rillaboom or Sobble/Inteleon, Scorbunny is already taken from his new traveling companion in the upcoming anime so I don't think Cinderace is gonna happen based on franchise history.

I personally hope it's Inteleon because he has the most badass design of the 3 and I can see him as a long range fighter with gunplay and I can see him getting the biggest push from Nintendo/Pokemon Company as the most marketable of the 3, I mean he's a secret agent chameleon spy based off british spy James Bond (Sobble's Pokedex #007) Dual wielding high powered water pistols and he's also packing a Sniper Rifle? Kids (Mainly Boys) eat that **** up.

Kubfu/Urshifu would probably my 2nd choice to go alongside the expansion pack DLC as I'm digging their designs, Kubfu looks cute and tough while Urshifu looks badass especially his Single Strike form with the headband.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It'll definitely be Rex given Sakurai wanted to include him in Base game of Ultimate.

Now that its DLC there's that chance to do so.
Rex is hard deconfirmed by the Mii Costume. I’m sorry, but people tried to argue the exact same thing for K Rool back in Smash 4 because they didn’t want to accept there were no plans for him to be playable at the time.

If Sakurai genuinely wanted to make him playable, development wouldn’t have been spent on the DLC Mii Costume. Especially since its a bonus for the first pass.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As much as I love several Pokemon, especially new Galar ones, I kinda hope we get a trainer to go along with the next one we get.
I'm okay with this as long as the trainer doesn't have multiple Pokemon, and it's clear that the Pokemon is the character.

Hell, add Calem to Greninja, Selene to Incineroar or Korrina to Lucario.

Easily the best Galar starter design by far.
That's not saying much, because none of them are real winners, but yes.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure Sakurai said that Nintendo was involved again.

I’ll have to check when I get the chance to do so.
Alright, thank you.

Would be good to know.

Though Nintendo is inherently involved if it's 3rd party, so it's not the same as "chose the DLC" either. The exact wording may matter. I'd think it's the same either way, though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I should also point out (not to discourage Pokémon talk): It’s pretty clear that the Pokémon pick would be one that is pushed in some capacity through merch, movies, and the anime.

This has applied to Mewtwo (Melee), Lucario (Brawl), Greninja (Wii U) and Incineroar (Ultimate).

I have limited knowledge of the anime as it is, but I know Scorbunny has had time to shine. Would that point toward Cinderace?

D

Deleted member

I still think there's a solid chance we can get and personally hope for a Gen 8 Pokemon Sword and Shield rep, It will likely come down to the 3 starters final evolutions as this is just based on what "The Pokemon Company" usually likes to push and market via the anime.

They normally go with Ash's fully evolved main starter during the current region/generation for a Smash fighter (Charizard/Greninja/Incineroar) and I think it will come down to either Grookey/Rillaboom or Sobble/Inteleon, Scorbunny is already taken from his new traveling companion in the upcoming anime so I don't think Cinderace is gonna happen based on franchise history.

I personally hope it's Inteleon because he has the most badass design of the 3 and I can see him as a long range fighter with gunplay and I can see him getting the biggest push from Nintendo/Pokemon Company as the most marketable of the 3, I mean he's a secret agent chameleon spy based off british spy James Bond (Sobble's Pokedex #007) Dual wielding high powered water pistols and he's also packing a Sniper Rifle? Kids (Mainly Boys) eat that **** up.

Kubfu/Urshifu would probably my 2nd choice to go alongside the expansion pack DLC as I'm digging their designs, Kubfu looks cute and tough while Urshifu looks badass especially his Single Strike form with the headband.
It’s really refreshing to hear someone say something positive about Inteleon I love that lizard spy and would love too see him in.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Gen 9 isn't even out yet so I don't think that there will be any new Pokemon characters.
I'm hoping Gen 9 is still a long ways off yet.

I want them to keep putting out DLC packs until the National Dex is back. About 3 more should do it! Give me The Gauntlet Valley, The Highland of Boots and The Cloak Moors!

There's a reason why they never had an FE 3 Houses Spirit event.
There is! But you don't know what it is, because you aren't Nintendo.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I should also point out (not to discourage Pokémon talk): It’s pretty clear that the Pokémon pick would be one that is pushed in some capacity through merch, movies, and the anime.

This has applied to Mewtwo (Melee), Lucario (Brawl), Greninja (Wii U) and Incineroar (Ultimate).

I have limited knowledge of the anime as it is, but I know Scorbunny has had time to shine. Would that point toward Cinderace?
I kind of doubt it, If anything that may hurt Scorbunny/Cinderace chances, based on promos and trailers on the upcoming anime that is currently active in Japan ,But yet to hit the U.S because the Pokemon Company normally goes with Ash's final evolution not his traveling companions Pokemon So I believe it will come down to either Rillaboom or Inteleon.

I wouldn't count out Cinderace ,But I imagine it's chances are a lot lower compared to the other 2 because of what I previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I kind of doubt it, If anything that may hurt Scorbunny/Cinderace chances, based on promos and trailers on the upcoming anime that is currently active in Japan ,But yet to hit the U.S because the Pokemon Company normally goes with Ash's final evolution not his traveling companions Pokemon So I believe it will come down to either Rillaboom or Inteleon.

I wouldn't count out Cinderace ,But I imagine it's chances are a lot lower compared to the other 2 because of what I previously mentioned.
Hopefully Rillaboom.

:ultcharizard::ultincineroar:
:ultsquirtle::ultgreninja:

Meanwhile we have Ivysaur only as an grass type. Plus Rillaboom fits as fun given he uses drums to fight something Sakurai would find unique as he had with Incineroar with his wrestling moves.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'd rather not another Pokemon character. Just no more from Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I want to see more new IPs join the roster instead.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd rather not another Pokemon character. Just no more from Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I want to see more new IPs join the roster instead.
There's a reason they keep adding them. They're not only the most popular and recognizable IPs by Nintendo but also the variable different kinds of characters as well.

Don't be surprised at another Pokemon being added in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

However, Greninja and Incineroar were chosen before their gen even released for other reasons.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey guys back from watching Grizzly (1976) what we ta-

Oh I see were still discussing Spirits...
You're right, we should talk about something else.
So, if we were to get a new stage from an existing series, what would you guys like to see?
I'd love to see a stage based on...
The Spirit Temple from Ocarina of Time. :ultpacman:
No but seriously, I love the Spirit Temple theme.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Rex is hard deconfirmed by the Mii Costume. I’m sorry, but people tried to argue the exact same thing for K Rool back in Smash 4 because they didn’t want to accept there were no plans for him to be playable at the time.

If Sakurai genuinely wanted to make him playable, development wouldn’t have been spent on the DLC Mii Costume. Especially since its a bonus for the first pass.
"If Sakurai intended to make him playable he wouldn't have created the Costume"

Duh, obviously. He didn't intend to make him playable back then. That could have changed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

They're doing something...different with the anime this time, so aside from Scorbunny and Yamper, it's hard to tell who they're promoting. I wouldn't necessarily say Cinderace is the most likely just yet because both Greninja and Incineroar evolved from their preevolution. The Scorbunny in the anime may or may not evolve, and by the time we get our answer, we'll probably already know which Pokemon got in Smash.

For now, the only Pokemon who I know are getting a push are the starters, Legendaries, and to a lesser extent, Corviknight, Wooloo, Yamper, and Morpeko. Maybe a little bit of the Galarian Zigzagoon line too. Other than that, I haven't seen anything else.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Really hope that amongst the inevitable shill/promo picks they can squeeze in an SMT rep and maybe Travis Touchdown (I want Travis more for friends than for myself). Both SMT and No More Heroes were a big part of the Switch's reveal presentation, NMH3 was finally revealed after Travis Strikes Back release and we're getting actual SMTV news this year. It helps that Travis has been a recurring request since Brawl~ and SMT has a ton of legacy to leverage that Joker hasn't touched (SMT1, 2, 4 and 5 were all originally on Nintendo systems, not to ignore the likes of ...if, Strange Journey and so on). Plus, even if you treat SMT and Persona as the same... You can't really complain about a 2nd SMT rep when there's 8 FE reps, can you?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
However, Greninja and Incineroar were chosen before their gen even released for other reasons.
Those 2 were also Ash's main starters for Gen 6 and 7 and both made them into Smash Wii U and Ultimate.

Coincidence from The Pokemon Company?

I doubt it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
"If Sakurai intended to make him playable he wouldn't have created the Costume"

Duh, obviously. He didn't intend to make him playable back then. That could have changed.
No matter which way you look at it, it makes absolutely no sense to make a character a bonus for FP1 and then release the character afterwards.

I firmly believe this was done because there is no intention of making Rex playable, regardless of how much DLC there is. Same reason why I think Spirits deconfirm, but on a MUCH greater scale.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Those 2 were also Ash's main starters for Gen 6 and 7 and both made them into Smash Wii U and Ultimate.

Coincidence from The Pokemon Company?

I doubt it.
I doubt that Sakurai only picked them because they were Ash's main starters. Sakurai already revealed why Incineroar was chosen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Really hope that amongst the inevitable shill/promo picks they can squeeze in an SMT rep and maybe Travis Touchdown (I want Travis more for friends than for myself). Both SMT and No More Heroes were a big part of the Switch's reveal presentation, NMH3 was finally revealed after Travis Strikes Back release and we're getting actual SMTV news this year. It helps that Travis has been a recurring request since Brawl~ and SMT has a ton of legacy to leverage that Joker hasn't touched (SMT1, 2, 4 and 5 were all originally on Nintendo systems, not to ignore the likes of ...if, Strange Journey and so on). Plus, even if you treat SMT and Persona as the same... You can't really complain about a 2nd SMT rep when there's 8 FE reps, can you?
I've got a good feeling on Travis.

Though there's a decent chance he could fall victim to the Spirit Boards...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I doubt that Sakurai only picked them because they were Ash's main starters. Sakurai already revealed why Incineroar was chosen.
Of course Sakurai gets a saying, But it's not crazy to think that Pokemon Co nudge him into the direction to make a moveset for the ones they plan to promote and market during the generations at the time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No matter which way you look at it, it makes absolutely no sense to make a character a bonus for FP1 and then release the character afterwards.
There does if he himself didn't know there was going to be a 2nd Fighter's Pass at the time.

Which is entirely possible, as FP2 might have been created in response to great sales of FP1.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Seems like it’s unclear who would be picked for Pokémon now. That’s pretty interesting.

I do think it’s important to look at how things have happened in the past to have that informed approach, though there’s always the chance they don’t go with that however.

It could very well be that, if we were to get a Pokémon, we simply won’t know until developments are put out there by TPC or Game Freak in terms of the “push” character, like previous ones have been.

Remember, Sakurai has mentioned what he looks at when he makes a Pokémon choice. It also makes sense when in that context.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm sure most of the DLC will be like that. There's plenty of franchises to pull from. Tekken, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Tomb Raider, Crash, Guilty Gear, Ace Attorney, Tales.

Even if they don't go with Rex, who's to say a Xenoblade character can't happen.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Of course Sakurai gets a saying, But it's not crazy to think that Pokemon Co nudge him into the direction to make a moveset for the ones they plan to promote and market during the generations at the time.
Incineroar itself didn't do a lot under Ash. It in fact spent most of the anime as a Torracat, only evolving at the very end.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really don't think that Rex is going to be in the second pass because if Sakurai wanted him that much he would have simply put him in the first pass instead of giving him a mii costume.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's be real, brother...

You and I both know that Nintendo, Atlus, Sakurai, and basically anyone with any amount of sway on whoever gets into Smash would rather have Bus Morgana be a character than acknowledge that SMT is a franchise that exists.

I mean come on, who does this:
days since smtv.png

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not that black and white for me. I'm all for new IPs getting in Smash, but obviously I'd want stuff from the games I like.

I'd rather get another Mario or Pokemon character over a character from a franchise I have little to no interest in. Even if they already have characters on the roster, I have a really strong connection with Mario and Pokemon's cast of characters. If the new IP doesn't appeal to me, then what would I get from that character? The ability to say we added another IP?

Incineroar itself didn't do a lot under Ash. It in fact spent most of the anime as a Torracat, only evolving at the very end.
It's still the same Pokemon though. Just because it evolved at the very end doesn't mean all of its previous character development and accomplishments get wiped away.

And like DarthEnder said, Decidueye and Primarina weren't any better. Even if Ash's Torracat didn't evolve, Incineroar was still more important to the SuMo anime.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
True, But Incineroar got pushed in other areas such as the 2017 "Pokemon I choose you movie" where he was the main antagonist main Pokemon after Lycanroc.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I firmly believe this was done because there is no intention of making Rex playable, regardless of how much DLC there is. Same reason why I think Spirits deconfirm, but on a MUCH greater scale.
Then explain how you're looking at it because I don't see how it's nonsensical for Sakurai not to prioritize Rex at one point but prioritize him down the line when he has more slots to work with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If the second Fighter's Pass was created in reaction to the first one, it is plausible that they would add Rex to it, but the question is, would they? Xeonoblade Chronicles 2 has been out for a few years now so it's not fresh one everyone's minds anymore. To be honest, I'd say that a Xenoblade Chronicles character has a better shot than him due to the definitive edition coming out soon.

I'm hoping Gen 9 is still a long ways off yet.

I want them to keep putting out DLC packs until the National Dex is back. About 3 more should do it! Give me The Gauntlet Valley, The Highland of Boots and The Cloak Moors!
I'd like to think that Gen 9 wouldn't suffer from any Dexit issues since it's still on the Switch, but I'd like to see the games get a 5 year development span instead of a 2 year one so it can live up to more of it's potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom