• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Rex’s Mii Costume was a consolation prize because he missed the base game and was pushed as a free extra for purchasing the Fighter Pass.

Sakurai made Rex a Mii costume because there was a lot of people that believed Rex would be in Smash Ultimate, and since Rex came years after the project plan he decided to make Rex a Mii costume. I’m pretty sure Rex was supposed to be in the base game since Nia has a Mii costume as well, but Nintendo probably decided to push him as a free extra for the Fighter Pass instead (and if not Rex was planned alongside the base game either way).

The problem I see with arguments stating that Rex wouldn’t be included if he were to be a Fighter later is that it makes it sound like Fighter Pass 2 was planned around the same time as Fighter Pass 1, which it obviously wasn’t, nor was it known at the time if they were going to do DLC after Fighter Pass 1, so it’s clear why Rex was relegated to a Mii Costume instead. Now whether Sakurai (or Nintendo) would want to include Rex as a fighter, it’s up in the air, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rex were to get included. Xenoblade has been rising in popularity and we’ve seen with the likes of Joker and Terry that Sakurai’s likeness can also factor into inclusion as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Evo, it looks like Sakurai is currently at Evo with that 2nd image. Though we probably aren't getting a reveal, I wonder if he's going to take the stage and talk about somethings after the tourney is over.
Smash community trying to contain their hunger for info when Sakurai takes the stage.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
See, it’s like I said, Rex is in a similar spot that Chrom was back in 4. I suppose he’ll get his chance another day... as in, the next game.

anyway stan Mecha-Fiora and Elma
Fiora and Elma are in the exact same spot since spirits most likely disconfirm characters, but at least Sakurai actually acknowledged Rex.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I still have a hard time believing Metroid managed to double its number of characters, especially when you're familiar with the series and realize that almost every realistic character is now in Smash. The cast is so small.
That's the power of a well-timed echo. ...Fire Emblem backlash is the power of a poorly-timed echo.

It's a shame that Echoes as DLC probably aren't a priority since they want to add more new stuff. Even for how little effort they are in comparison I guess Nintendo thinks they wouldn't bring in enough revenue.

andree123

Smash Ace
Reminder that Sakurai teased that a character will hold a axe a year ago which turns out to be part of Byleth's moveset.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Did you even take the time to read my response? I literally laid it out clear as day for you to see.

Rex is hard deconfirmed. There is no way they would’ve made his Mii Costume a bonus for FP1 if they had any plans on making him playable at all for future DLC. Thus, the “MAYBE THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS!!!!!!” excuse isn’t going to fly for this instance.
Sakurai

Didn't

Know

There

Would

Be

Another

Fighter

Pass

In

I don't see how that's so hard to grasp. When he was planning for the Fighter Pass he didn't intend to include Rex, hence the Mii Costume. That decision made in 2018 tells us nothing of his thought process when deciding characters for the second Fighter Pass in 2019. Do you not know that the second Pass wasn't planned from the get-go? Because otherwise I fail to see what you aren't getting.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Just going to rip the band aid off for people getting their hopes up for a Direct being imminent because of the Street Fighter leak.

Its not going to be this coming week.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Are some here seriously trying to dissuade others from not finding Crash appealing? I mean, really? Lol

Not every character will appeal to everyone.

People are allowed to want whoever they want to get in, and others are fine to NOT like the idea of certain characters getting in.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I really don't think that Rex is going to be in the second pass because if Sakurai wanted him that much he would have simply put him in the first pass instead of giving him a mii costume.
He might not have been on the list Nintendo gave him. That could have changed as other variables did with FP2

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do expect an Nintendo Direct in February but don't expect any Smash news. At the earliest I see FP6 being announced March/April.

Latest being obviously June/E3.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I saw people talking about another potential Pokémon rep. What did I miss? I love Pokémon, and I’m almost positive we’ll get one from Sword & Shield in Fighter Pass Vol. 2.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just going to rip the band aid off for people getting their hopes up for a Direct being imminent because of the Street Fighter leak.

Its not going to be this coming week.
I'm not sure anyone truly thought there would be one.

Are some here seriously trying to dissuade others from not finding Crash appealing? I mean, really? Lol

People are allowed to want whoever they want to get in, and others are fine to NOT like the idea of certain characters getting in.
I think it's because the user keeps implying that Crash isn't iconic enough which really ruffles some feathers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I find it funny still that Decidueye and Lycanroc don’t even have Spirits or Pokeballs in game. Just... nothing. Like they don’t even exist.

also we NEED the gym battle theme from SwSh in Smash idc if we have to buy like. A Team Yell Mii costume for it cause I’ll heckin do it

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

From what I've seen at least its an argument about him being iconic(which he is 100% and I'm stunned this is even a debate). Not if people should want him. That might have changed because I got bored of the convo and started skipping posts though

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dear God, I just can't wait for the dead air to pass...
Look at it this way though. We currently got 80 (82) playable characters in total and got the next character releasing in a few days.

Plus to pass the time there's other things to do like read, write, play games (Notably Smash itself) and other things in life to pass the day. All just suggestions. ;)

D

Deleted member

Look at it this way though. We currently got 80 (82) playable characters in total and got the next character releasing in a few days.

Plus to pass the time there's other things to do like read, write, play games (Notably Smash itself) and other things in life to pass the day. All just suggestions. ;)
Geez, thanks for the heads-up. Still got college life, some essays (both School and Smash related), and tons more.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm not sure anyone truly thought there would be one.

I think it's because the user keeps implying that Crash isn't iconic enough which really ruffles some feathers.
It’s me, and I was simply stating my opinion on the character. I don’t hate Crash Bandicoot. I just feel there are better choices that could be made for inclusion.

My God, am I not allowed to think for myself?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nobody had any clue there would be a Fighter Pass 2. Some predicted one, others hoped, some thought it'd just be bonus characters.

We did however find out a new one was coming, and he started work on it later on well after the base game. It had nothing to do with the base game.

It doesn't mean he can't take the base game into account too. We could get all new universes/games only too. But nobody knows. We have zero legitimate data on what's going on beyond the pass using a similar formula to the first one(character, music, stage, apparently actually picked by Nintendo too, but that's still being cited). Anything else? Better to wait and see.

BTW, only share the information you got leaked to if you want to(and if the person allowed you to leak it, obviously). Could be interesting. We could use some new info.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As much as I want to believe Byleth doesn’t count due to the heavy controversy... I don’t think we’re getting another character reveal soon.

-
Anyway, the real first word about additional characters, was by the time Terry’s trailer released. Which even do, was filmed a few months back (around Banjo’s introduction video?) we didn’t know it was going to be a whole pass.
Maybe Nintendo already knew, but held off to announce just how many... until they really needed to say it.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
As much as I want to believe Byleth doesn’t count due to the heavy controversy...
I didn't realize a bunch of salty children were considered a controversy? Or maybe you are talking about a certain Youtuber acting like a salty kid and then trying to pretend he was pretending?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
We got a character reveal literally last week.
And nobody's talking about it... so let's change that! This thread is now a Byleth appreciation thread! Post Byleth or you'll dieleth!
... o-or we could just go back to speculating about stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And nobody's talking about it... so let's change that! This thread is now a Byleth appreciation thread! Post Byleth or you'll dieleth!
I, for one, am not complaining that the conversation has moved past Byleth. I've heard as much as I care to from both sides.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I want to hear unpopular opinions about Smash speculation from people who are willing to share.

I’ll start, I don’t think Crash, Spyro, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, or Waluigi should be on the roster.

I don’t think tier list are important or meaningful.

I think some people get too worked up over a video game. It’s all just fun. Lighten up and let people speak.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As much as I want to believe Byleth doesn’t count due to the heavy controversy... I don’t think we’re getting another character reveal soon.
And besides, Nintendo's strategy for Smash news is "starve them until they're ravenous, then throw them a bone". They want us to speculate on all possible options before their first blow-out reveal cracks open the hype dam and makes us all forget Byleth ever happened -moreso, I mean. Then the reveals build up in hype before a gentle slope that turns into a nosedive.

I looked through previous reveals because I thought there was no chance they'd just reveal the Fighter Pass and then not any of the characters in it, but they went from the November Direct to the day before Smash's release even a single hint of who would be in the Pass. They're really just gonna let us sit on Byleth for a month, maybe longer.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I want to hear unpopular opinions about Smash speculation from people who are willing to share.

I’ll start, I don’t think Crash, Spyro, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, or Waluigi should be on the roster.

I think some people get too worked up over a video game. It’s all just fun. Lighten up and let people speak.
Here's an opinion for ya: I think it's entirely possible for a fanbase to ruin a character. Sometimes people go way too far with their "support".

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Oh boy this prompt will have some civilized responses.
Anyway, pretty much all my most-wanted characters rarely reach the front page (Ganon, Captain Syrup, Dark Matter) so I guess that counts as unpopular.
Also feel like maybe Travis Touchdown has a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom