• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I want to hear unpopular opinions about Smash speculation from people who are willing to share.

I’ll start, I don’t think Crash, Spyro, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, or Waluigi should be on the roster.

I don’t think tier list are important or meaningful.

I think some people get too worked up over a video game. It’s all just fun. Lighten up and let people speak.
Completely agree with the tier list part

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I want to hear unpopular opinions about Smash speculation from people who are willing to share.

I’ll start, I don’t think Crash, Spyro, Shantae, Rayman, Geno, or Waluigi should be on the roster.

I think some people get too worked up over a video game. It’s all just fun. Lighten up and let people speak.
Unpopular opinions? Okay.

I expect one of two scenarios:

1. Geno returns as a Mii Costume.
2. Geno actually regresses from Smash 4 and both he and Chocobo fail to return as Mii Costumes for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Your first point: I'm all for a few of these like Crash or Shantae. I just still don't understand the appeal of Geno or Waluigi. If there is a Mario rep I want that has a moveset potential, its Captain Toad with Sakurai and his team trying to think of clever ways around his no jump mechanic.
Second Point: Don't know if you mean competitively or who should be a newcomer by tier list. If for latter then yeah.
Third Point: 100% agree. As much as some of us are passionate, it is just a video game. If it was something like politics then yes I agree on the worked up.

Its when people like that guy who was like "haha your dog died, that's what happens for wanting Byleth!" who should be thrown into behavioural therapy to have some etiquette drilled so hard into their head is when it goes way too far.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinions? Uh ok.

The best solution to the "[Insert series here] has too many characters" problem is to add more character to the series with less rather than taking characters away from the series with more. It's not likely to be a realizable solution, but it is the best one.

EDIT: This way we can have more Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters and nobody will care. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

And nobody's talking about it... so let's change that! This thread is now a Byleth appreciation thread! Post Byleth or you'll dieleth!
What has been seen cannot be unseen!

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

I think Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown, Sol Badguy, and MAYBE Dante will be Mii Costumes

I Don't think Waluigi would be the First AT to be Promoted if we do get Promotions. I'm thinking either Shadow or Bomberman, MAYBE Alucard

People who are Speculating Pokemon are overreacting to Byleth

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Time battles > Stock battles

The worst possible inclusion in the game without branching into 4th parties isn't another FE rep, Pokemon rep, Mario enemy, etc. It would be Sam Bridges from Death Stranding. Heres why
1. The game was bad(This is just personal opinion obviously, don't need to hear it 15 times)
2. Norman Reedus played the character, which would start stupid debates on if he's actually 4th party or not. Before anyone says that wouldn't happen, it wasnt long ago we had someone in here trying to argue that Sora was 4th party.
3. Some people just straight up dont want Sony in Smash, so it would rile up that group
4. For the people that do want Sony reps in Smash, none of them want him in it. Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper are all more popular picks and if we're going pick someone from a more recent game Aloy is a significantly better choice.
5. Breaking the Sony barrier would be good, and for that alone I almost wouldn't pick him at the worst. The issue I take with it is that it would feel as natural of a pick as Corrin being DLC in Smash 4. There's more iconic picks who should get in first. There's more interesting picks who should get in first. None of his inclusion would make sense unless Sony specifically asked for it, which would suck greatly when there's so many better picks.

So there we go. Not many people would be happy with this result because it either includes a character they don't want, a company they don't want, and starts a crap ton of annoying whining and fighting about semantics or what not. The only thing I'd like about it is that it opens the door for a few of my favorite game characters to get in, but still such a high level of yikes everywhere else that I probably wouldn't enjoy it for long. Like I suppose there's worse things in a vacuum someone could pick, like a Cheep Cheep or something with 0 moveset potential that's the 20th most important character in the series, but there's some ironic comedy to be found in that and there's a portion of the Smash fanbase that loves wild WTF picks. I don't think anyone even ironically would want this. It would be a lot of woah, didn't think this was possible, but wtf is with this pick and then dumb **** to follow.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown, Sol Badguy, and MAYBE Dante will be Mii Costumes

I Don't think Waluigi would be the First AT to be Promoted if we do get Promotions. I'm thinking either Shadow or Bomberman, MAYBE Alucard

I agree with 99% of everything you said! Only part I don’t agree with is the people speculating Pokémon overreacting to Byleth. While it may be true for some, I know I’ve been speculating a Gen. VIII Pokémon as DLC since they first revealed Sword & Shield. Pokémon sells.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You know, I wonder if they're going to announce fighter pass 2 character 1 soon. Joker was shown early just to sell the fighter pass. Makes me wonder if they are gonna try it again and we are going to have another 5 months of "yes we know this character exists but when are they coming out???"

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Unpopular opinions again huh well............

1. I don't want Sora in Smash solely because I don't want Disney anywhere near Smash especially with Bob Iger still in charge. What with with their mega monpoly stiffing creativity in the animation and film industry, their meddling with various productions like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Doctor Strange, churning out soulless remakes of their animated movies etc. And the sheer pain nintendo would have to go through of negoiating what content to even go along with Sora.

2. 3rd party characters are interesting when it uses underdog 3rd party franchises rather than the "most popular" and it helps gives them more popularity. And I feel most of the AAA tier franchises(mainly ones where Sakurai can't workout a moveset) should be spirit events like Resident Evil.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's not out of the realm of possibility for them to add a Pokémon. Will they though? Eeeeeeeeeeeh...

Time battles > Stock battles

The worst possible inclusion in the game without branching into 4th parties isn't another FE rep, Pokemon rep, Mario enemy, etc. It would be Sam Bridges from Death Stranding. Heres why
1. The game was bad(This is just personal opinion obviously, don't need to hear it 15 times)
2. Norman Reedus played the character, which would start stupid debates on if he's actually 4th party or not. Before anyone says that wouldn't happen, it wasnt long ago we had someone in here trying to argue that Sora was 4th party.
3. Some people just straight up dont want Sony in Smash, so it would rile up that group
4. For the people that do want Sony reps in Smash, none of them want him in it. Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper are all more popular picks and if we're going pick someone from a more recent game Aloy is a significantly better choice.
5. Breaking the Sony barrier would be good, and for that alone I almost wouldn't pick him at the worst. The issue I take with it is that it would feel as natural of a pick as Corrin being DLC in Smash 4. There's more iconic picks who should get in first. There's more interesting picks who should get in first. None of his inclusion would make sense unless Sony specifically asked for it, which would suck greatly when there's so many better picks.

So there we go. Not many people would be happy with this result because it either includes a character they don't want, a company they don't want, and starts a crap ton of annoying whining and fighting about semantics or what not. The only thing I'd like about it is that it opens the door for a few of my favorite game characters to get in, but still such a high level of yikes everywhere else that I probably wouldn't enjoy it for long. Like I suppose there's worse things in a vacuum someone could pick, like a Cheep Cheep or something with 0 moveset potential that's the 20th most important character in the series, but there's some ironic comedy to be found in that and there's a portion of the Smash fanbase that loves wild WTF picks. I don't think anyone even ironically would want this. It would be a lot of woah, didn't think this was possible, but wtf is with this pick and then dumb **** to follow.
I don't like time battles because I'm too busy trying to not die to focus on making sure I have the most K.O.s. But that's just me.

How on earth would you adapt a character who's original game draws meaning from intentionally clunky mechanics into a platform fighter?
EDIT: I mean, the man nearly topples over if he steps wrong. How's he gonna reach the platforms?

You know, I wonder if they're going to announce fighter pass 2 character 1 soon. Joker was shown early just to sell the fighter pass. Makes me wonder if they are gonna try it again and we are going to have another 5 months of "yes we know this character exists but when are they coming out???"
If we're getting three this year and three next year my guess is that we'll see the first fighter by the end April. If not then probably E3, potentially with another double reveal.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

People who constantly cry and scream how Zelda isn't represented / poorly represented / thinks Sakurai has a anti-Zelda bais
because "muh side character"

Needs to remember that 1., with the exception of Mario, none of the franchises represented in Smash have side characters as playable characters

Including bloody Fire Emblem

2., Understand that, there life other then a characters, Zelda has **** tons of stages, items and ATs

3. Zelda is literally Nintendo's second to thrid biggest franchise, shut up

and 4., Stop overblowing the importance of the side characters of this series, there are reasons why they are one-note

(Also a bonus one, stop using that terrible Warriors game as a excuse / reason)

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
This post was warned unneeded hostile language in the later part of the past. It does nothing to ruffle feathers and causes negativity.
Unpopular opinion time!

Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Doomguy and Waluigi shouldn't be in this game. 3 of the five are lame mascots, Stop trying to make Waluigi a thing, and Doomguy was talked about so much, it soured me on his inclusion.

Until Sakurai does something that says otherwise, spirits and Trophys are hard deconfirms and people need to accept it. (This hurts to say as a Isaac fan ;_;)

The Majority of smash fans are entitled, whiny children that will hate on any inclusions they don't agree with and don't deserve this game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinions:

-These discussions aren’t nice, especially when people sometimes use objective wording regarding characters and fanbases (people like who they like, and all fanbases have crappy people and nice people my dudes) and whatever else, sounding somewhat selfish and implying it ain’t just an opinion to them, but why not

-Green is a creative color

-I would like SpongeBob and Popeye in Smash

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Since we're dropping all sorts of unpopular opinion bombs in here...

I think there's nothing wrong with disliking certain characters... but if you're gonna say "*insert character here* shouldn't be in Smash" complete with objective wording, you should be obligated to back up your assertion with a damn good reason, one that doesn't just boil down to "I don't like this character" or "I don't get their appeal".

Also, instead of a nearly functionally identical Echo Fighter, Dark Pit should've been a semi-clone using Pit's old moveset from Brawl.

-Green is a creative color
Imagine thinking Green is a creative color and not Purple.
This post is brought to you by the Purple Luigi gang.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

People need to stop riding Sakurai's ****.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Also, instead of a functionally identical Echo Fighter, Dark Pit should've been a semi-clone using Pit's old moveset from Brawl.
H I Y A Y A Y A H I Y A Y A Y A H I Y A Y A Y A

Fighter Related:
I don't want Waluigi as a fighter
Geno can just be a Mii Gunner costume
I'm just glad we have more fighters, I don't care what series
Any Assist Trophy, Pokemon, Spirit, Mii Costume, or Stage Hazard/Background Character means de-confirmation
Any character can be good, you just need to learn them
PK Fire is not that annoying

Other:
Final Smash Meter > Smash Ball
Lylat Cruise should be illegal
I like Pac-Land
The walls on KOF Stadium are a cool inclusion
Rhythm Heaven needs more representation
I'm okay with more third-parties
I want more customization when it comes to making game modes

also not unpopular but yall need to chill sometimes, people have different opinions
stop degrading people because you dont agree, and then get angry when people point it out

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
omplete with objective wording, you should be obligated to back up your assertion with a damn good reason
A subjective statement shouldn't need to be prefaced by the fact that it is a subjective statement. I think that very well should be implied by the fact that it is talking about subjective things.

I find it bizarre people have to turn every negative statement into a full blown multi-page arguement that will inevitably just end with the people demanding explanation saying "Well that's just your opinion" when the inverse like say "wow, this is the best character addition of all time" and the like isn't subject to the same scrutiny and is met with various nods of approval.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion. I think Smash should have more Japan only/ obscure characters to introduce people to. Remember when Melee introduced the Western world to Fire Emblem? How many people here learned about the Mother series through Smash? We need more of that.

Terry was kind of that.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You don't get to be an asshole just because someone asked you for an unpopular opinion. Chill the **** out.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

I agree with not wanting any of those characters on the roster actually, especially Shantae.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
A subjective statement shouldn't need to be prefaced by the fact that it is a subjective statement. I think that very well should be implied by the fact that it is talking about subjective things. I find it bizarre people have to turn every negative statement into a full blown multi-page arguement that will inevitably just end with the people demanding explanation saying "Well that's just your opinion" when the inverse like say "wow, this is the best character addition of all time" and the like isn't subject to the same scrutiny and is met with various nods of approval.
Actual interesting characters or serious discussion topics
Smashboards: *i sleep*

fire emblem bad lol
Smashboards: *real s**t?*

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Tbf, not a whole lot of third parties were requested back then. From my memory, it was mainly Snake (a veteran), Banjo, Bayonetta & Shovel Knight. The latter 3 are all heavily associated with Nintendo too.

The third party requests definitely started getting bigger during Ultimate’s pre-release hype & then exploded with Joker.
There were quite a few, particularly Geno, Sora, Cloud, Simon (mostly as a replacement for Snake), Shantae, Rayman (because of trophy & fake leak), and Lloyd (because of Namco developing Smash 4).
However, a lot of people tried to shoot down Cloud speculation/wants because of the fan rule 'Must be associated with Nintendo', so a lot wanted Cloud quietly.

Third party requests were plentiful, but they stopped being shut down as much following Joker. Cloud helped shut that fan rule down a little while Joker finished it off and Bayonetta helped shut down the 'too sexy' and 'no guns' fan rules, and Joker killed off the latter. Those reasons are why a larger variety of 3rd Party characters started getting requested (also, Ryu killed the 'one per 3rd Party company' fan rule)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I'm just waiting for mods to clamp down on discussion considering how far it's drifted from the actual topic on hand and is just serving as an excuse for people to vent.

fire emblem bad lol gottem
agree, tbh.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oof. Didn't think my post would be taken seriously.
NGL female Byleth is kinda cute.
I wasn't taking it seriously, I just wanted to join in the meme.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Felt like doing a thing. Here's a chart showcasing my thoughts on several potential DLC characters and how likely I believe they are. I feel like I've covered every possible character here, so I'll be surprised if Season 2 has someone that isn't here.

Was planning on posting it earlier, but then Doom Guy got very denied. And then I found out that the December 2021 deadline may not be when the pass actually ends, so Sylux isn't as likely anymore (still have faith on Metroid Prime 4 being a Holiday 2021 title). I also realized it was redundant for me to include Assist Trophies and Spirits here because they were clogging up the surprise side, so I removed them. I contemplated adding more characters, but I feel like I would've been going into uncharted territory from there, so I stopped with what I have here.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Felt like doing a thing. Here's a chart showcasing my thoughts on several potential DLC characters and how likely I believe they are. I feel like I've covered every possible character here, so I'll be surprised if Season 2 has someone that isn't here.
I'm liking that Hayabusa placement!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Was planning on posting it earlier, but then Doom Guy got very denied. And then I found out that the December 2021 deadline may not be when the pass actually, so Sylux isn't as likely anymore (still have faith on Metroid Prime 4 being a Holiday 2021 title). I also realized it was redundant for me to include Assist Trophies and Spirits here because they were cloggin up the surprise side, so I removed them. I contemplated adding more characters, but I feel like I would've been going into uncharted territory from there, so I stopped with what I have here.
The Knight would be a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Was planning on posting it earlier, but then Doom Guy got very denied. And then I found out that the December 2021 deadline may not be when the pass actually ends, so Sylux isn't as likely anymore (still have faith on Metroid Prime 4 being a Holiday 2021 title). I also realized it was redundant for me to include Assist Trophies and Spirits here because they were clogging up the surprise side, so I removed them. I contemplated adding more characters, but I feel like I would've been going into uncharted territory from there, so I stopped with what I have here.
>Kiryu in go away.

Thanks, I needed a break from the Smash fandom anyways.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Tuesday can't come soon enough. Just wanna mess around with Byleth already. It'll be a reprieve from the usual speculation talk here.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
>Kiryu in go away.

Thanks, I needed a break from the Smash fandom anyways.
See you dude, hope you realize I'm not the personification of the Smash fandom.

I can't bring myself to be excited for Yakuza content in Smash when I prefer nearly every other Sega series. Can't deny it though, I can totally see Sakurai adding Kiryu because he just seems like the kind of third party he'd be into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom