• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Or at least bring back other modes. We don't have issues getting spirits(the very long credits gets a bit tedious without a turbo controller, though) as is, so anything like Trophy Rush/Grab is pointless. Boss Mode would be great, same with any expansions on WoL.

I'd still love some way to redo Target Test/Smash/Blast, since those were fun things. Too many characters so it'd get repetitive, unless they were unique. Easy to see why it's dropped. On the other hand, it could still earn you coins and Spirit Points? That'd make it worth it, since it's faster than Classic and all.
A Boss Board that lets you choose bossfights separately and the return of Smash Run would be my choices, personally. Targets and Platforms were never my cup of tea after 64. I still like Race to the Finish, but the current Bonus Game in Classic seems to be there to make up for it.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Please point out every animation Byleth copied, I'm sure you'll find every other DLC character has copied just as much, if not, more
Lol that's just doing too much, and I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

You may be missing my point is all.
Take someone like DK and Banjo for example since someone brought them up earlier. They both share that rolling dash attack if im not mistaken. The animation is similar, I'll give you that. However, the amount of work involved to get that animation to work on Banjo as well is going to take a lot more effort since the characters themselves are two completely different sizes.

IDK how familiar you are with mixamo, but its a great way to see what I mean hands on. It will give you the opportunity to see how 3d rigs work, and why characters of similar size and features become easier to animate. As well as the issues you would face, trying to animate something that isnt "humanoid".

Characters like Blyleth, (really most humanoid characters) are probably low hanging fruit for Nintendo at this point, and I could see why characters like these would contribute to their team being ahead of development time.

Like I said, I'm not saying that other DLC characters don't reuse animations, but based off the gameplay videos we saw, he/she is definitely the laziest character they've made so far.

That doesn't mean Blyleth is going to be bad character, or not even fun to play as. I honestly find it refreshing that the character doesnt offer some kind of new gimmick like most of the dlc.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh, i totally know that, but i feel at least some haters would have thought "well it won an award so it can't be THAT bad", still the overall response would have been pretty toxic.
Still at least that as long as the FE3H love outweights the hate i honestly think that there won't be much to worry. Ive seen a lot of FE3H positivity for places that weren't into FE before. IMO, if the game had had a reception similar to fates it would have been a disaster, but I think that this game can pull through.. So far teh numbers ive seen regarding Byleth reveal the positivity still clearly outwheights the negativity.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Watch as one of the Fighter Pass 2 characters ends up being a semi-clone!:troll:
Veemo intensifies

Edit: this page is my birth year so I get to make a wish!

I wish for Elma, Octoling, KOS-MOS and Neku in season 2.

There c:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Watch as one of the Fighter Pass 2 characters ends up being a semi-clone!:troll:
That character will be Argavel, the avatar character from the Fire Emblem game that's going to come out in 2022. They will be a Marth semi-clone, with the main difference being a special move that has a range exceeding Byleth's lance.

Last edited:

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
I guess if we are talking about our personal wish lists and expectations for Fighters Pass Vol. 2:

Wanting:
- Scorpion
- Doom Guy
- Spyro
- Crash
- Lara Croft
- Heihachi Mishima

Expecting:
- Skull Kid
- Spyro
- New Poke'mon from Sword & Shield
- Heihachi Mishima
- Crash
- A HUGELY unexpected guest fighter like Master Chief or another let down like this final DLC was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gotta say this was pretty disappointing.
It's the same situation with Incinaroar, why announce a character that's possibly the least exciting one while there are others that will clearly get people even more excited?
Wouldn't have been interesting if they replaced Banjo's announcement with Terry, then later announce Byleth, giving everyone the impression that this DLC pack only includes Japanese/anime-like characters, and then blow their ****ing minds with the Banjo reveal!
I think it's a more marketing problem than anything. Sure, there are characters that deserve a spot way more than another bloody FE rep (There are more FE reps than Zelda, let that sink in), but at the end of the day, it's Sakurai game, so what else can you do.
Even though, his decision was a stupid one in my book.
At least 3H is still a thing. By the time Incineroar was revealed, Alola was done; TPC was back to promoting Gen 1 for a console on which Incineroar had no presence. It's pretty much a case of too-little too-late, only no one in charge seemed to realize that.

Oh, i totally know that, but i feel at least some haters would have thought "well it won an award so it can't be THAT bad", still the overall response would have been pretty toxic.
That's probably the best case scenario had they done the reveal there. But honestly, I don't think the issue is that people think FE games are bad. I think most people do acknowledge that at least the likes of Awakening and 3H are pretty good. I think the animosity stems from the abundance of that series in Smash, not the quality of the games.

In short, I think peoples' problem is not "Fire Emblem". It's "Fire Emblem in Smash". To that end, I think skipping a TGA reveal altogether was probably the right call, whether it was done purposefully or not.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So what makes them different from the other semi-clone, the echo of Marth and the echo of the semi-clone? :p
I edited something in regarding that when you were quoting me; I tend to be a serial editor. Quote me if you dare!

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
There has never been more backlash towards a Smash Bros. character in history.
This is genuinely concerning. Byleth's inclusion may have drastically changed the community permanently.
Corrin & Bayonetta backlash was worse than this was..

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So a bunch of third-party characters in the vein of Lara Croft or Master Chief?
Well they always have at least one big gun to kick things off, but when you come bearing bad news, it very well might call for more. And barring the creation of new IPs, the only first-party "big gun" left, might be Waluigi.

And he can't be your only lead. He just can't. For human decency. :laugh:

I.D.

Smash Lord
To that end, I think skipping a TGA reveal altogether was probably the right call, whether it was done purposefully or not.
It totally was. Just look at the trailer, it's meant to look like a bait and switch that makes people think it's some sort of trailer unrelated to smash for the FE DLC until Sothis reveals the letter, that's why Byleth appears from the beginning. But, since we already knew the presentation was for a Smash character there's no surprise at all, there is no point in revealing Byleth first and keeping the letter hidden, it should be the other way around like in Terry's case for example.

That trailer was clearly made to be shown at some other event and someone with good sense prevented that.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well they always have at least one big gun to kick things off, but when you come bearing bad news, it very well might call for more. And barring the creation of new IPs, the only first-party "big gun" left, might be Waluigi.

And he can't be your only lead. He just can't. For human decency. :laugh:
The thing about using Waluigi is that even someone as popular as him wouldn't actually make a difference one way or another, mainly because pretty much all the people he appeals to are guaranteed to buy a new Smash game no matter what considering all the Mario characters we already have.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Are you ready for Sigurd closing fighter pass 2 after they announce the remake of Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War this year?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
It totally was. Just look at the trailer, it's meant to look like a bait and switch that makes people think it's some sort of trailer unrelated to smash for the FE DLC until Sothis reveals the letter, that's why Byleth appears from the beginning. But, since we already knew the presentation was for a Smash character there's no surprise at all, there is no point in revealing Byleth first and keeping the letter hidden, it should be the other way around like in Terry's case for example.

That trailer was clearly made to be shown at some other event and someone with good sense prevented that.
Corrin was revealed with a trailer that might as well have been exactly the same as Byleth's in a Smash presentation. I do believe the trailer was probably done before the Game Awards, but I don't think they planned out when they were revealing it while producing it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Are you ready for Sigurd closing fighter pass 2 after they announce the remake of Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War this year?
Unironically yes. The man clearly loves Fire Emblem like he ****s it every night, and he's not ashamed to tell the whole world.

Last edited:

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to those who are happy to see Byleth!

I'm certainly not one of them ... but disappointments happen and it's a fact of life. I'll just say I'm more ... confused ... than anything.

Out of curiosity ... what are reactions from Japanese fans? I've not yet pulled up any of their reaction videos.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'm certainly not one of them ... but disappointments happen and it's a fact of life. I'll just say I'm more ... confused ... than anything.

Out of curiosity ... what are reactions from Japanese fans? I've not yet pulled up any of their reaction videos.
From what I saw it was also pretty mixed for the Japanese community. People where confused and really didn't expect that.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice

Most likely super excited

Krankees

Smash Ace
I decided to take a look at Capcom's franchises and unless I missed someone there's only one Capcom protagonist who doesn't have actual fighting moves. Would this normally be an issue? Yes, but this is Smash Bros. Sakurai could explain his whole charm about fighting without actually fighting. I still want the Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright to be in smash.

8k4JnESfNmEnujuqgVFxvX.jpg

And until he is made a spirit or a Mii costume and/or another Capcom rep makes it in first, I'm not gonna give up.

EDIT: Made an edit to this post to be more clear.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
There has never been more backlash towards a Smash Bros. character in history.
This is genuinely concerning. Byleth's inclusion may have drastically changed the community permanently.
It's always delicate when a character/s is released and there will be negativity at times. You get all types of people involved, passion can be a good thing, but sometimes it is misguided horribly. It'll all blow over eventually. I mean in the past you literally had a person here compare the K.Rool fanbase and thread to a well known white supremacist group due to a perceived similarirty with a thread title and perceived actions, like how whacked could you get.That's peak toxicity for me. Plus there are many examples where people have outright disliked characters themselves all beacuse a fan/s of that character said something to them they didn't like. There will always be bad eggs, immaturity, childish behaviour and toxicity like those two examples, of which there are many. Its part and parcel of fandom and the interwebz.

But positively, congrats to all of the Byleth fans! And there are more characters coming which you'd think with Byleth's reveal would mix things up in terms of where characters come from. Exciting times and gives hope for others. Expectations are low but I'd like to Crash, Scorpion and/or Dixie Kong make it.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker: - 9/10 - Introduced me to one of my favorite games, which was kind of the point of the fighter’s pass, which was to bring more games together and introduce others to games which they’ve never heard of. It was also a total shock when I saw who it was, as I hadn’t watched the game awards and hadn’t really expected everything. Of course I didn’t recognize him at the time, but it was still a surprise nonetheless.

:ulthero: - 6/10 - He’s really fun to play as, but I just felt the order in which they were revealed was just disappointing. I remember, at the time, a Dragon Quest rep and Banjo+Kazooie were some of the most speculated characters and seeing them being put into Smash kind of gave me mixed feelings. On one hand, I didn’t care for either of them. On the other, I knew it was making a ton of people happy. And on the final hand, it was no surprise at all and really disappointing. But he still is really fun to play as and has some very interesting mechanics that are fun at times.

:ultbanjokazooie: - 5/10 - The main problem is stated above, with Hero. But the reason Banjo gets a worse rating is because, in my opinion, he is indescribably boring to play as. I don’t know what it is about him, but he is just boring to play as. And as I stated before, I’m really happy for the people who grew up with him and are seeing them in Smash Bros. But he’s just un-fun and had the problem with the fact that it was no surprise to me whatsoever.

:ult_terry: - 9/10 - Once again, I didn’t know who he was before the fighter’s pass. Still don’t know that much about him. But he’s definitely one of my favorite characters in existence. Of course, there was when Nintendo leaked him a day before, but I didn’t really hear about that until after I saw the reveal trailer, so it didn’t really affect me. He also has a really cool moveset and I love his super special move mechanic.

Byleth - 8/10 - Can’t say much about what it’s like playing her but I can say that not only does the model look really cool, but the moveset does as well. It’s obviously not too different from the rest of the FE characters, but it is unique in some form which is why I have no complaints. I don’t really like the timing, however, as I was let down thinking that fighter’s pass 5 was gonna be another 3rd party. If Byleth had been the first reveal in the 2nd fighter’s pass, people wouldn’t care as much. But I know people were hyped for a really cool 3rd party which nobody expected, and they were disappointed. Good character, as it seems, nonetheless.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean in the past you literally had a person here compare the K.Rool fanbase and thread to a well known white supremacist group due to a perceived similarirty with a thread title and perceived actions, like how whacked could you get.
Did people forget the R in K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats?

Also, I love your signature.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Apparently the Japanese where more excited for the Cuphead mii costume than Byleth, at least from what I've heard.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I haven't heard much today from my friend who lives there, but it seems like there were some mixed feelings among fans.

Despite what a majority of people think, FE isn't wildly popular in Japan. Lately, it's done a lot better in NA, and you've seen how we reacted to Byleth. I doubt they're overreacting as much as us, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of negativity either.

D

Deleted member

How is Dante not a shoe-in at this point? What other developer has played this game of "hehe i dunnooo you'll have to ask Nintendo~~" for this long? They've teased and teased, no way their announcement on Twitter wasn't some sort of freak coincidence. Then the teasing of asking Nintendo for DMC games for Switch, immediately followed by said games' announcement?

Also speculating a new Pokemon, if not Rillaboom for rounding out the starter types, then whomever wins the popularity contest this time around.

If Rex/Pyra, Rex/Mythra, or just Rex alone were in existence when decisions for this round of DLC were made, then they're almost a shoe-in as well.

Question remains on who I think the other three would be. I'd like to have Master Chief on the table, but have more doubts about him than the aforementioned characters.
The reveal they had slated today was for the 'Free Style Mode'. The twitter even said that the reveal each of the dates posted was for the Devil may Cry game; the game itself; not for other games. Everyone who took that as a clue for Smash news tricked themselves. I saw that repeated here multiple times leading up to the announcement and mentioned myself several times that they were omitting the part where the tweet was referring to its own series and not another.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me why sakurai decided to finally include 1 western rep? Do u think he will do it again and how come?

where can i find and use stock icons?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is a question that may or may not be used for theory crafting.

How many slots were datamined? In WOL and the other thing?

And the most important part: were they found before or after Plants release?

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Here is a question that may or may not be used for theory crafting.

How many slots were datamined? In WOL and the other thing?

And the most important part: were they found before or after Plants release?
three that i know of

Banjo (Buddy) Hero (Brave) Joker (jack)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me why sakurai decided to finally include 1 western rep? Do u think he will do it again and how come?
He probably was add because of how popular Banjo is in the Smash fanbase + his history with Nintendo. I personally think we might see one other western third party in the second fighter pass but not more.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
where can i find and use stock icons?
For use in the forum, click the smiley face to see stock icons, along with a few other icons (such as GC buttons)

Example: :ultmario:
Byleth getting in smash made me love three houses music more then I already do
How is the music in 3H? Never played it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom