• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since we're in the 24 hour deadline I guess I'll toss in my chips. I expect Dante to be the next character revealed. Resident Evil is dead and Monster Hunter is in a weird limbo state, I still think it's possible we might get a playable Monster Hunter but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get one in the end. Dante is my third most wanted Capcom character just behind Leon and Monster Hunter so I'd be happy if we get him.

Now as for my not so likely wants. I love Waluigi but he has no chance until post pass arrives. Steve and Heihachi are two characters that I see as more likely as post pass rather than FP5. Reimu is someone I like but I think she is sadly unlikely even when post pass arrives. As for Gordon Freeman and Kratos, both would require a miracle to get in.

Let's see if I get lucky and manage to get any of my most wanted characters as DLC. Knowing my luck, probably not.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Will Byleth or Edelgard eventually get into smash or no?
The only "Fire Emblem" character that has a chance of joining in the fighters pass is probably one of the Tokyo Mirage characters concidering how they are pushing the game right now. It can also go hand in hand with the typical, not end off with a bang. Byleth, on the other hand, has only a chance post pass I argue. PS - Neither Dimitri, Claude or Edelgard will be playable unless they make Byleth a Pokemon styled character with each of the leaders as its "Pokemon".

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Like check if he tweeted the Terry or Hero presentations in English as well?
The only time I can think of him tweeting in English is
I love your support, but please stop begging for characters. They have already been chosen.
Thank you to Grant Kirkhope for the song. That's it.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Yes he did. He only tweeted in English for Banjo. Though he did not for the other fighters. That implies that this character is more familiar to western audiences than most of the other dlc fighters (again characters like Doom Slayer).
If that link is supposed to be for a specific tweet, then you might want to re-link it because you only end up at his twitter bio

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U's last reveal was Shulk. Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were kept secret until the game's release. Also, did Super Smash Bros. even have reveals? Don't think the game was big enough that they could excite people with just characters at that time.

Regardless I still hate this argument. I mean, it's wise to not get too emotionally attached to a certain outcome, but I feel this swings way too far in the opposite direction.

EDIT: Also, Jigglypuff was a clone in Super Smash Bros.
I'm just pointing out precedent. Even if you count Shulk and Bowser Jr, it honestly still applies because Shulk is still kind of niche and Bowser Jr was very controversial for a variety of reasons. Also, Smash 64 did do online reveals but they were in Japanese.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Since we're in the 24 hour deadline I guess I'll toss in my chips. I expect Dante to be the next character revealed. Resident Evil is dead and Monster Hunter is in a weird limbo state, I still think it's possible we might get a playable Monster Hunter but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get one in the end. Dante is my third most wanted Capcom character just behind Leon and Monster Hunter so I'd be happy if we get him.

Now as for my not so likely wants. I love Waluigi but he has no chance until post pass arrives. Steve and Heihachi are two characters that I see as more likely as post pass rather than FP5. Reimu is someone I like but I think she is sadly unlikely even when post pass arrives. As for Gordon Freeman and Kratos, both would require a miracle to get in.

Let's see if I get lucky and manage to get any of my most wanted characters as DLC. Knowing my luck, probably not.
9 minutes from 23 hours now

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Even if they aren't Fighter #5, I think a Three Houses rep still has a great chance of joining the battle. All 4 protagonists have extremely high moveset potential, hail from a game that was a massive success both critically and commercially, and are the one major Nintendo release from 2019 not to be spirited away.

The only things that they really have going against them is Smash DLC's iffy relationship with first party newcomers and Sakurai's comments about there potentially being too many Fire Emblem characters (which may not be a thing anymore, given he had no reserves about the issue when Chrom joined the battle).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All right, since this is the last character for Fighters Pass 1; I'll state that my prediction is Adol.

Do I think it is him? Not really. But he would fit the artificing theory in the Geno thread, and the trend of saving a controversial character for last; even if they are noteworthy enough to be in Smash. I don't really believe those theories either, though.

Besides it'll give me brownie points if I'm right.

That said, I'm cool with virtually anyone that gets in.
Who's Adol?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think people are reading far too much into the english tweet. I think it's more likely that Sakurai and/or Nintendo at some point decided that it would be best for western fans if Sakurai made a clear english tweet than if they had to rely on potentially unreliable fan translators to do it for them, which could result in unintended misinformation.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
But I checked through his tweets and I couldn't find him tweeting in English for Banjo & Kazooie.
These are the only tweets I could find which have him tweeting about the banjo presentation specifically. He did tweet about stuff like the spirit board but they shouldn’t count and even then it was in Japanese

Attachments

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If that link is supposed to be for a specific tweet, then you might want to re-link it because you only end up at his twitter bio
I edited my post. You just need to scroll down a little bit to see Sakurai's English tweet for tomorrow's presentation.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I edited my post. You just need to scroll down a little bit to see Sakurai's English tweet for tomorrow's presentation.
I know about that one. And I know what tweet he did for Banjo too. It wasn¨t for the presentation. It was a thank you tweet to Grant for the song

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
lmfao who the hell is "Brian" or Baboom
Baboom was the supposed name of Grookey's final form and it became an ironic meme on the boards here, even after it's real name, Rillaboom was revealed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Baboom was the supposed name of Grookey's final form and it became an ironic meme on the boards here, even after it's real name, Rillaboom was revealed.
You DARE defile the name of our glorious leader Baboom? You have now been cursed with never being able to win anything ever again! Besides, Baboom is already in Smash
baboom.PNG

1000 lashings for the nonbeliever!

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't think Sakurai tweeting in English means anything. He probably just wants to make sure everyone knows what's about to happen tomorrow because some people might have missed Nintendo's post somehow. After all, this is the first time they are doing something like this.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Really excited for them to reveal the Battletoads in 23 hours.
This may not age well. Not because of the battletoads part because that’s obviously correct but because it will be 22 hours in exactly 40 minutes

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Honestly, if I were to bet money on who it was, I'd bet it on either the Slayer or a Capcom character like Phoenix Wright.
I unfortunately don't think Dante's happening until fighter pass 2 (and it will be a fighter pass 2, they won't release characters individually, I bet you anything) and a lot of the "evidence" supporting Arle is tinfoil hat-tier.
Between the Cacomallow leak that still hasn't been disproven and the artifacting on Sakurai in the thumbnail, the Slayer and possibly Geno for fighter pass 2 seems more likely. But at the same time, I'd expect a Capcom character solely because it's Capcom.
Really we should just be glad nothing's leaked yet and hope to god nothing leaks so we can actually be surprised for once.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What's the legacy of that game? I've only heard it mentioned a few times even here, where we're all into obscure stuff.
It was literally added as a joke option to appease a single user here don't think too hard about it. It's like if one of the options was Marina Liteyears specifically for me to vote for.

Also it's really only notable for being one of the N64's only RPGs. It's not a very good game otherwise, all things considered.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to throw my predictions out here as well for this direct.
- I'm conflicted between 3 characters for FP5, but based on my gut feeling:
Most likely: Dragonborn
Possible: Doom Guy
I want to believe: Master Chief

There's one more that would be fun to see, but I don't think it's time yet: Chosen Undead/Solaire of Astoria

- There will be another reveal in this Direct, not linked to any fighter pass (hoping for a first-party character, specifically Rex/Pyra, but I have no idea)
- CacoMallow will receive it's final judgement in this direct (and I believe it will be real)
- There will be a Mii Costume that is going to caught everyone off-guard and either make a popular fanbase angry or a ultra-niche fanbase happy.
- Speaking of, another Mii Costume we will probably see is from a indie game with a song included (My guess: The Knight)
- An update will come to the game adding some new QOL features to the online and co-op for World of Light, working in the same way as the Spirit Board coop.
- We will receive details on the next pass of DLC, but with no characters revealed for it until the General Direct.
The internet will be all over the place tomorrow

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It was literally added as a joke option to appease a single user here don't think too hard about it. It's like if one of the options was Marina Liteyears specifically for me to vote for.

Also it's really only notable for being one of the N64's only RPGs. It's not a very good game otherwise, all things considered.
Ah. I was just wondering if it was one of those hidden gem games that is pretty great, but has no audience.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's the legacy of that game? I've only heard it mentioned a few times even here, where we're all into obscure stuff.
It was one of the few N64 RPGs. Al the cool kids jumped ship to Sony.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thankfully, Fire Emblem Echoes is a ****in' masterpiece and one of the best remakes of any game I've ever played, full stop. Three Horses is supposedly really good too but I've yet to play it.
If you really enjoyed Shadows of Valentia, then I definitely think you'd really like Three Houses. It takes a lot of the concepts Echoes introduced (Combat Arts, rewinding time, full voice acting, etc) and expands upon them, while also patching up some of that game's shortcomings (there are a couple of bad maps, but over all the quality is good and nothing is as bad as Celica's desert maps lol, characters have a decent amount of supports now, etc). I also love Shadows of Valentia, so I think it says something when I think Three Houses improves upon it in a whole lot of areas.

Definitely pick it up if you can!
I'd certainly hope so. The sheer number of potential fighters that could be included at this point is so vast that I hesitate to say anyone is likely, but I think Byleth and Edelgard, specifically, have the best odds of any first party to get in, especially if upgrades don't happen.
Here's hoping, at least. Edelgard would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom