• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

A lot of people on that resetera forum seem fairly confident its going to be Arle.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I meant was I don’t see him coincididing with tea online stream like moo said

still don’t see him being 5

no fighters have coincided with something else related to their series
Eh. It doesn't mean that they can't or won't. I suppose there is a case to be made about them not wanting Smash to steal their thunder, but I wouldn't say this completely disconfirms him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep I believe you are right with the addition of Ms. Pac-Man.
Sadly Ms. Pac-Man is in the middle of a rights kerfuffle between Namco and AtGames. That's why Ms. Pac-Man's sprite is in the Pac-Land stage but she has no spirit in game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It's honestly crazy for me that there's so many third party in Smash (Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft, SNK, Sega, Konami and even Microsoft and Yacht club games), but nothing from Level 5. They're so close to Nintendo that it should've happen by now.

That being said right now I don't see Layton that likely. I feel like his franchise his slowly dying and that he's less and less likely as time pass by. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't really expect him.

D

Deleted member

Eh. It doesn't mean that they can't or won't. I suppose there is a case to be made about them not wanting Smash to steal their thunder, but I wouldn't say this completely disconfirms him.
I’m just saying.

I don’t see him as 5 because of that

It’s likely unrelated to something else today like all fighters

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
It's unfortunate, but this new Fighter is going to have a humongous chip on their shoulder once they're revealed because it will inevitably disappoint the people who wanted their own character pick in the game. This surprise reveal is going to be hype, but also cause some huge controversy for some circles.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Any mods out there: if y’all could add Elma to the poll I’d appreciate it

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Ahh I see

I only played the Curious Village so my knowledge in what Layton can do is sadly limited. I'm still intrigued in how a puzzle moveset can be incorporated for Smash.
I too am intrigued by the possibility of Sakurai adapting a puzzle move set into smash, Layton is canonically a master fencer and contraption maker, but I do wonder how Sakurai would chose to do puzzle mechanics.

I try not get myself too work up because Sakurai sometimes makes up stuff (Rebel's Guard) or does it in outlandish ways we could never imagine (Command selection.)

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's honestly crazy for me that there's so many third party in Smash (Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft, SNK, Sega, Konami and even Microsoft and Yacht club games), but nothing from Level 5. They're so close to Nintendo that it should've happen by now.

That being said right now I don't see Layton that likely. I feel like his franchise his slowly dying and that he's less and less likely as time pass by. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't really expect him.
Agreed that Level 5 should get some form of representation. Not sure I agree with the Layton series being out iirc wasn’t there only just a remaster last year and wasn’t it also confirmed that Katrielle would be taking over the lead role implying that the series has a future?

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
It's unfortunate, but this new Fighter is going to have a humongous chip on their shoulder once they're revealed because it will inevitably disappoint the people who wanted their own character pick in the game. This surprise reveal is going to be hype, but also cause some huge controversy for some circles.
Literally no matter who it is, it will cause a lot of controversy. More points of controversy if it's not in the usual discussion circle of characters and ones people thought may be too "Obscure" or "Niche" for Smash.

So expect a lot of salt and prepare your salt shields tomorrow.

Krankees

Smash Ace
He should use a metal pipe instead, Layton never goes around carrying a weapon because fighting is not his fist course of action, but will improvise weapons if the need for fighting arises, such as lead pipe or a candlestick.
View attachment 257685
View attachment 257686
He did use an actual sword once in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

f4e84b4b93e0d48b6eb7028210b40a21--true-gentleman-photo-and-video.jpg

EDIT: There is other instances but I'm only familiar with Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Agreed that Level 5 should get some form of representation. Not sure I agree with the Layton series being out iirc wasn’t there only just a remaster last year and wasn’t it also confirmed that Katrielle would be taking over the lead role implying that the series has a future?
Yeah I bought the port for Katrielle's game in November 2019, so the series is still alive and on the Switch.

Not like we don't already have dormant 3rd party series with newcomers in smash ultimate already. :ultbanjokazooie::ultsimon:
He did use an actual sword once in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

View attachment 257693
Yes Layton does use a sword on multiple occasions, such as in Diabolical Box. I think that him having an improvised fencing weapon would fit him better though, since he often has get by with whats around him and would helps distinguish him from other sword fighters. Even then I expect Layton to use fencing for a couple of moves, like how Ganondorf only use his sword for Smash attacks.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Technically we do have a Level 5 rep already
c107f15a3dc830d949580608dbfc23a4--blue-dragon-dragon-ball.jpg

But seriously though I need a real one in this game.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That's true, but I also think breaking a fandom down by specific games is a kinda *****y and entitled thing to do.

Like, even though FE fans have 7 reps already, they're gonna claim they actually have no representation, because they're a "Three Houses" fan?

Like, hey, I know DQ has 4 reps already, but I'm a DQ5 fan! Where's my rep?!

**** that.
As nice as Edelgard would be or another Three Houses rep, the only FE character I want is Lyn and as much as I want that to happen unless Sakurai opens the gate to allowing Assist Trophies in, it won't happen. I'm even willing to sacrifice a FE character just to get her *Looks ominously at Chrom*.
I wish people can stop looking at everything Sakurai does and assumes that it's some kind of Smash hint. The man isn't a Rorschach Test where we can all see what we want to individually see. His entire existence isn't meant to be him being a living breathing Smash hint.
Wait so I wrote this 150 page essay about the interconnections of Sakurai's body language to Smash hints for nothing?

Also mods, could Amaterasu be added into the poll too? If no, I understand, but if yes thanks in advance.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That's fair, but I think the remaster sold very poorly and I think the Katrielle Layton is taking a different direction than the traditional Layton game (Katrielle's game is more easy and more story focuses). So I'm not really sure how the future of the franchise will be like.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think again it's worth noting that it's not the pose itself that's a hint but rather it's interesting to wonder what the context of the pose could be considering it's clearly cropped from the video.

Anyway, I think Euden from Dragalia Lost is another slept-on character. I only started considering him because I thought he'd be a bit of a disappointing reveal, but then I realized he's absolutely adorable look at this cute art style he's so cute and can turn into a dragon

click here for cute

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That's fair, but I think the remaster sold very poorly and I think the Katrielle Layton is taking a different direction than the traditional Layton game (Katrielle's game is more easy and more story focuses). So I'm not really sure how the future of the franchise will be like.
The remaster probably only sold poorly because the original game is still fresh in people's minds. It only came put a couple years before the remaster did.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I will say this: If the character revealed tomorrow isn't Arle, I think her supporters should start pressing F because there's a 99% chance she'll get Mii costume'd later in the stream if that's the case.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I will say this: If the character revealed tomorrow isn't Arle, I think her supporters should start pressing F because there's a 99% chance she'll get Mii costume'd later in the stream if that's the case.
Unless we either get another Banjo situation or FP5 is also from Sega, I don't think that will be the case.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Predictions for tomorrow
Our fifth fighter will be one of three characters
A Capcom rep, could be anyone, possibly Dante or Phoenix Wright
Arle Nadja
Doom Slayer
Sakurai won't go into as much detail into the character's history as he did with Terry
Hence the shorter length
We will get at the very least a teaser trailer like Joker had of the first post-pass/fighter pass 2 character
One of the three character possibilities will get Mii costume'd
WILD PREDICTION: Somehow it's ****ing Reimu and the internet implodes in on itself

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just to be safe... anyone wanna check the FP5 page one last time...?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
She'd better, because I don't want to be constantly reminded that Tetris only gets 2 songs and some PNGs while Puyo Puyo gets a character, stage, and a whole album of music dedicated to it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Anyway, I think Euden from Dragalia Lost is another slept-on character. I only started considering him because I thought he'd be a bit of a disappointing reveal, but then I realized he's absolutely adorable look at this cute art style he's so cute and can turn into a dragon
Dragalia Lost? More like Dragalia FLOP. Give me a Cygames character that is actually popular.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
While you're right, I don't think it be as bad as said, the last Smash Direct before Ultimate came out, where Shadow, Isaac, etc... got deconfirm as assist after months of speculations.

Because the thing is, we still got more after the pass, and while the fighter pass was third party focus (unless fighter 5 throw that out of the window), we don't know what direction Sakurai & Nintendo will go next. So it leave more room for more characters to get in.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Someone with taste! This was the first Mii costume I bought the day it dropped back in the day. He made such a good Mii and while I'm still happy he's in Mega Man's final smash it was so fun playing as that cutie. I love MMBN so much.
It was the only costume I ever bought in smash 4. Because I just love Battle network so damn much. That series was my entire childhood.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
She'd better, because I don't want to be constantly reminded that Tetris only gets 2 songs and some PNGs while Puyo Puyo gets a character, stage, and a whole album of music dedicated to it.
this take ****ing BLOWS dude!! Tetris is a bunch of blocks my man! Sure a Tetris stage would be dope but the music getting in is fine especially considering the weird rights issues surrounding the entire series that makes it tough to add any content. Puyo Puyo has almost as much legacy and is basically the second-biggest puzzle game out there, while also having a charming cast of characters to boot.

Ideally I'd love if she came with PPT stuff. A Tee assist trophy would be awesome. He could drop blocks on people.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Alright y'all sit down. Serious TPC is gonna educate y'all on why Travis could be in. This is gonna be a real mini speculation essay since I a bunch of homework to get to (I probably don't even have the time to type this out) but here I am anyways. Checking my bias I ain't got any since I've never played the No More Heroes games so sit back down.

To start, No More Heroes is closely tied to Nintendo systems. While this isn't the strongest point anymore, having close ties to Nintendo certainly helps facilitate character choice and negotiations. The No More Heroes series is practically exclusive to Nintendo systems, with the only exception series history being a Japan-only Xbox 360 port and a PS3 port, both of which failed. In the Switch era No More Heroes has seen a resurgence, with both Travis Strikes Again and No More Heroes 3 being released and announced as Nintendo exclusives respectively. Nintendo is even listed as a major client now for Grasshopper Manufacture, which shows the close connection between the two companies.

The CEO of Grasshopper Manufacture, the company that develops the No More Heroes series, Goichi Suda (also known as Suda51) and Sakurai are friends that go way back. As early as 2008 you can find Suda51 in the Special Thanks section of Brawl's Subspace Emissary Credits

Sakurai more recently went to a launch celebration party for Travis Strikes Back, where he and Suda took a picture together. We know that Sakurai's friendship with Kojima is what got Snake into Brawl, and while he doesn't seem to pull such personal favors nowadays, the friendship between Sakurai and Suda could both get the ball rolling

Suda's has the thought of Travis in Smash earlier than 2010 (this was the first mention I could find in a cursory search), and in 2017 expressed serious interest in Travis' inclusion in Smash, saying:
Suda51 said:
“In all seriousness, next time he does decide to go and make a Smash Bros. game, I’m seriously going to tell him, ‘Put in Travis Touchdown. Come on, put him in the game.’ So every time we talk about this, partially in the middle he listens, he starts to laugh, and that laugh trails off into, ‘ha ha…’. This time Sakurai-san, I’m not going to let you go. You’re not getting away.”
Now, he did disconfirm Travis' inclusion in December 2018 in a livestream about Travis Strikes Back:
Unfortunately, this comes a month after confirmation of DLC selection for FP1 being finished by Sakurai.
Suda again denied Travis being in Smash in an interview at E3 2019, saying
Suda51 said:
Obviously I knew that Travis wasn't going to be able to be in Smash Bros. this time, but I feel just like a lot of the fans. Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I was still really disappointed to actually see, "Okay, so it's actually not happening." So there's a bit of disappointment.
To me, this reads more like "I knew he wasn't going to show up at E3," but that's a subjective point and I'm bringing it up just to give my own take on it (yours' can be different). Also:
  • (a) Grant Kirkhope denied working on Banjo when he was, in fact, working on Banjo, and
  • (b) This doesn't prevent Travis from being post-pass
They announced post-pass DLC during Banjo's livestream, which was recorded approximately 2 days after Hero's livestream, placing it on August 1st. Assuming negotiation for post-pass characters were occurring at the time, it's reasonable to believe that Grasshopper Manufacture (and subsequently Suda) could have been approached shortly after this interview (which was published on June 12th) to negotiate for Travis in Smash. Considering Sakurai and Suda's friendship and Suda's desire to see Travis in Smash, he'd be more than willing to work with Sakurai and Nintendo to get Travis into Smash Bros.

TL;DR Travis is the modern Bayonetta. Nintendo is pretty much carrying the No More Heroes series (though they pretty much always have) and the CEO of Grasshopper Manufacture (the developer of the No More Heroes) is not only friends with Sakurai, but wants him in Smash.

Seriously y'all are sleeping on my man Travis.

Anyways, that's all the time I've got. I've got to back to ****posting homework playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Elma looks so out of place in the poll.
The problem is that if a new option is put into the middle of the poll, it messes the results up. (if Elma was put as the second-to-last option and Other stayed at the bottom of the list, for example, she'd have the 77 votes that Other originally had, while Other would have zero)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom