• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He tried to dunk on SNK, no respect from me
I hardly think "I don't think it was that big a thing" counts as a "Dunk".

A dunk has to be spectacular, that's one of those corner tosses.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's only three characters in that list where I agree, and even then, I find those arguments for Geno to be quite outdated.
It's funny because saying "I like the game, and I've nothing against the character, but it's a supporting character from a single game over x amount of years ago" is treated as a perfectly valid reason for not caring about any character in said situation other than Geno.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well too bad you ****ing nerd
Anyway FP5 will be SUPER obvious in hindsight
Rules of Smash #87: Recognizing a character's merits in post = realizing how obvious their inclusion was.
Rules of Smash #88: Unless you hate the character in question. Then they were added for no good reason and they are a garbage pick that should not have been considered.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway FP5 will be SUPER obvious in hindsight
Personally I'm more curious to just see how people are either gonna backpedal on their dismissal of Vergeben's/Sabi's kill list, or act super smug about how "Well I told you that they were fake!!!".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's a little customization game we can play. Make your ideal pass using one character from each of the five lists.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving
2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character

"Promotional" Character
Three Houses rep (Your choice)
Astral Chain rep (Your choice)
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi
Sword and Shield rep (Your choice)

Give the People What They Want
Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Any character who you want but don't expect.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It's funny because saying "I like the game, and I've nothing against the character, but it's a supporting character from a single game over x amount of years ago" is treated as a perfectly valid reason for not caring about any character in said situation other than Geno.
Oh, don't get me wrong, that's a completely valid reason to not be interested on a character. Perhaps I understood it wrong, but JWittz used that argument on a likelihood standpoint, and that's where I didn't agree with him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, don't get me wrong, that's a completely valid reason to not be interested on a character. Perhaps I understood it wrong, but JWittz used that argument on a likelihood standpoint, and that's where I didn't agree with him.
I didn't watch the entire video, just a few characters, but my understanding was he was just sharing his opinion on the character, not his belief on chances.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a little customization game we can play. Make your ideal pass using one character from each of the five lists.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Phoenix Wright
2. KOS-MOS
3. Officer Howard
4. Master Chief
5. Elma (come on who didn’t see her coming from me)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Steve
2. Arle
3. Byleth
4. Master Chief
5. Rhythm Heaven rep

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Does ScottTheWoz count or does his recreational tax dodging disqualify him?
Scott's opinions reeks of "youtube gamer starter pak", and they're absolutely terrible. Seen his personal wants and absolute no-no's for Smash, and he sounds like everyone else you already heard about. Not vibin' with the dude at all.

Moral of the story is to never look up character countdowns for anything Smash-related. Odds are you've heard one, so you've heard them all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Phoenix Wright
Dr. Eggman
Edelgard
Waluigi
Crash Bandicoot

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
There are a few characters I don't want in Smash, and I know I'll get flack for some of them:

Geno: I like Super Mario RPG but the rabid fandom he has kinda made me not care for him. It doesn't I met some bad Geno fans who mocked who I want.

Doom Guy: Mainly because I just can't see him work without extreme butchering to his character, which irks me a bit.

Jonesy/Steve: I put these two in the same slot since they seem to be in the same category of characters I am not a fan of.

Sora: I like Sora and I love Kingdom Hearts but I simply don't trust Disney here. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Byleth: If only because I find any of the House leaders to be more unique fighters IMO. I personally want Edelgard but Dimitri or Claude would be more unique than Byleth.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack. But who am I kidding? I apparently have "Poor" taste in most wanted according to people(Reimu, Dante, Wright, Travis, Kiryu, KOS-MOS) so maybe I shouldn't speak. I don't care though and I'm speaking my word.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Dante
KOS-MOS
Edelgard
Geno
Travis Touchdown

While I haven't played Xenosaga, I've seen what KOS-MOS can do from videos from Project X Zone 1 and 2, and I'd be interested to see her playable. I'm not sure what Travis Touchdown's chances are, but given the amount of major characters that still haven't made it in yet, I don't think he's too likely. (though I think he'd be a great choice, and Suda 51's been pushing for his inclusion for years)

Admittedly, for Fire Emblem Three Houses, I've only played through the Black Eagles storyline, but Edelgard seems like she'd be important no matter which story you choose. (by comparison, Claude doesn't have much to do in the Black Eagle route, though I might go with his story next since he seems like he'd be entertaining)

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Please give me one piece of new evidence that points to Arle being FP5. All I have seen peddled by her base are the Twitter pictures and Puyo Puyo getting a game on SNES online. And that is not going to be enough to magically change my mind on her not being FP5.
1. Every character in the pass is older than the character that preceded them (Terry ---> Banjo ---> averaged Hero ---> Joker). The base game characters also followed a simmilar pattern, but instead chronological (Ridley ---> Simon ---> K.Rool ---> Isabelle ---> Incineroar). If the theory holds (which I see no reason as to why it wouldn't), the fifth character would have to be from the 80s - which Arle just so happens to be from.

2. Joker, a Sega Property, was the only third party not to be leaked. This implies Sega is good at keeping things under wraps. The secrecy of Fighter 5 could be excused by it being another Sega character.

3. I know how weak color theory is, but I feel it's still worth mentioning it works for Arle.

4.. Sega seems to be trying to make Puyo Puyo more popular outside of Japan. A similar thing was happening with Dragon Quest and King of Fighters, and Smash was part of it.

5. You're downplaying the SNES game quite a bit. It's a Japanese-only game, yet it's on Switch online. There are a few region-only games on NES online, but they all stayed in their region. Puyo Puyo is the sole exeption to this, and why? Maybe to increase familiarity when she comes to Smash.

Not all of these are very strong on their own, but I feel that when they're all added together that they present a very solid case.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Every character in the pass is older than the character that preceded them (Terry ---> Banjo ---> averaged Hero ---> Joker). The base game characters also followed a simmilar pattern, but instead chronological (Ridley ---> Simon ---> K.Rool ---> Isabelle ---> Incineroar). If the theory holds (which I see no reason as to why it wouldn't), the fifth character would have to be from the 80s - which Arle just so happens to be from.

2. Joker, a Sega Property, was the only third party not to be leaked. This implies Sega is good at keeping things under wraps. The secrecy of Fighter 5 could be excused by it being another Sega character.

3. I know how weak color theory is, but I feel it's still worth mentioning it works for Arle.

4.. Sega seems to be trying to make Puyo Puyo more popular outside of Japan. A similar thing was happening with Dragon Quest and King of Fighters, and Smash was part of it.

5. You're downplaying the SNES game quite a bit. It's a Japanese-only game, yet it's on Switch online. There are a few region-only games on NES online, but they all stayed in their region. Puyo Puyo is the sole exeption to this, and why? Maybe to increase familiarity when she comes to Smash.

Not all of these are very strong on their own, but I feel that when they're all added together that they present a very solid case.
A lot of this seems like a stretch. Just because the fifth Fighters Pass character hasn't been leaked, it doesn't mean that it's a Sega character, and a theory that requires you to average the ages of a character's four costumes doesn't seem like it's got the strongest basis behind it. Also, a puzzle game wouldn't require a lot of instructions or tutorials, which probably plays a part in why it's made it over.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
My List of Characters:
  1. Dante. Pretty much my most-wanted Capcom character at the moment. If not him, then Phoenix Wright.
  2. KOS-MOS. My most-wanted character over all. Currently a victim of speculation hell. If not her, then Reimu.
  3. Byleth. Their whip-sword gimmick is really cool and totally welcome. if not them, then Cinderace.
  4. Isaac. This one is for a friend. However, Waluigi is also for a friend, so if not the former, then the latter.
  5. Artoria. She's actually my fourth most-wanted right after Dante. Problem is that no one thinks she's realistic at all, be it her origins, or Sony's apparent leash on the Fate property. If not her, then Ragna the Bloodedge. No one expects him either, at least not before Sol.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Reimu
3. Akira Howard
4. Isaac
5. Kat (Gravity Rush)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I don't really think the first thing is anything more than a coincidence, mainly because you need to exclude Inkling and the echoes for it to work.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Tails (2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character)
3. Rillaboom (Sword and Shield rep)
4. Geno
5. Sgt Cortez!

Cortez Oh Yeah I'm Read.gif

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Layton, Reimu, Astral Chain, Geno and... MUDDY MOLE from Mole Mania.

I've been thinking up victory animations for characters I'd like and I've got some.

Muddy Mole
1. Muddy poses, then gets hogpiled by his kids while his wife giggles in the bg.
2. Muddy does his claw dance from finishing a level in his game.
3. Muddy swims through the ground liie a sea serpent, then pops up right in front of the camera.

Geno
1. Classic battle win, crosses arms and nods.
2. Body hit by light, turns into little doll as his spirit floats away.
3. Gets ready to pose and suddenly turns into a scarecrow.

Doom Slayer
1. POV, DS fist bumps teeny Doomguy model. Rare bonus, it will be his bunny instead and it gets headrubs.
2. DS throws the camera over his shoulder and turns to stare at it.
3. DS performs the Doom Shuffle with the chaingun.

Layton
1. Three quick poses leading into him pointing at the camera.
2. Sipping tea, as only Layton can.
3. Adjusting his hat, "Every puzzle has an answer."

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise

Dante
Reimu
Edelgard
Master Chief
Monokuma

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I mean, she IS a Kamen Rider, Valkyrie's Lightning Hornet specifically

Anyway seeing as Arle is still somehow part of the conversation, anyone know any potential movesets for her?
Aaah, I've seen everything up to half of Build, so no Zero One or Zio yet.

Speaking of, I still want Mach Rider to be in just so they can take the Gdorf clone moves, and yell RIDER PUNCH! RIDER KIIIICK!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Dante
Eggman
Edelgard
Master Chief
Kiryu Kazuma

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm neutral to Arle's inclusion, but this point is a ****ing stretch. I've said it before, the devs aren't AR 4D Chess masters. When you have to "Average the release years on alts" just to fit your theory, then you've already failed. You're trying to make it work and you're working backwards from a conclusion.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Arle is likely anyways. I think that if Sega is getting another rep it will be more likely that it will be a character from Yakuza.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Ok, now I’m going to shoot down every single point that you just made.

1. Arle is not a 80s character. Her game first came out in Japan on October 25, 1991.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyo_Puyo

Ironically enough, her game actually came out exactly one month before Terry Bogards debut (which unlike the debut for Arle, actually was released Worldwide).

And you literally have to discard Inkling and Luminary being the base for Hero for this theory to even work.

Even the screen at the end of Heros trailer specifically said: SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X DRAGON QUEST 11 S

2. I asked for evidence, not something that is pure speculation.

3. You said it yourself, that is an incredibly weak theory.

4. Are you just going to forget that Puyo Puyo Tetris was a thing? It was a Switch launch title in Japan, and it got localized one month later.

They have been trying to promote the series way before DLC was even thought about.

5. Putting a game on the SNES online library does not equal “X CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!!!!”. I guess that the Stunt Race FX car is confirmed? Since I definitely didn’t hear about it before they “promoted” it by putting it on the SNES online library.

And on top of that, if you trust Vergeben, he specifically doubled down on no Arle for FP5.

She really is not as likely as PapaGenos would like you to believe.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
This is an extremely weak point because it's been explicitly mentioned that only a few people knew of Joker's existence due to how "last minute" the decision to reveal him at the Game Awards was. This has nothing to do with Sega's hands. Are you saying SNK is the reason why Terry got leaked in the first place? That was an error on Nintendo's part.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Rayman, Arle Nadja, Three Houses rep (Edelgard), Waluigi, Kyo Kusanagi

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think that Arle is likely anyways. I think that if Sega is getting another rep it will be more likely that it will be a character from Yakuza.
I was going to say something about you noting a Sonic character yesterday(keyboard was barely working, so couldn't). I missed something. Why'd you remove that part of your opinion? Just wondering. :)

I admit, they're competition. Though the question is which moveset translates better in the end. There's also other Sega characters too, but it seems like moveset is a key factor as is. Also, which Yakuza would be chosen? I know nothing of the series.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I was going to say something about you noting a Sonic character yesterday(keyboard was barely working, so couldn't). I missed something. Why'd you remove that part of your opinion? Just wondering. :)

I admit, they're competition. Though the question is which moveset translates better in the end. There's also other Sega characters too, but it seems like moveset is a key factor as is. Also, which Yakuza would be chosen? I know nothing of the series.
I also don't know. I've never played a Yakuza game.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I get the feeling that Time Split is one of those great or decent but interesting GameCube era games that just never grabbed an audience.
You would be correct. It was a game way ahead of it's time, had lots of content and customisation to keep people playing. Sadly it also came around the time when Halo was the king of First Person Shooters.

Story mode might not be the best you'll play but the multiplayer in all three is a-

faf.jpg

Tons of characters, weapons and you can even create your own maps. It's a great time to be had.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Dante
Reimu
Byleth
Sora
Slime
DLC started with a generic enemy... and it has to end with one.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Professor Layton (You monster, putting Layton and Phoenix in the same slot forcing me to chose one over the other!)
2. Reimu (Mainly for UN Owen was her)
3 Claude (fun as well as an intriguing character and a full on archer would be interesting in smash.)
4. Master Chief ( I've never played Halo, but Chief is the biggest character not in smash and would be surreal having him in)
5. Maxwell from Scribblenauts (One of my favorite games as a kid and would have literally unlimited move set potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom