• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
>Dragonborn (100% most likely imo)

I haven't really been looking at leaks much, but the Geno thread is already hyping me up way too much. Even just going from 0% chance to 1% chance is amazing enough. But I would be satisfied for life if Sakurai comes out and gives me Dovahkiin. I need to calm down; I can't deal with another be-hopeful-for-months-and-then-get-let-down-miserably like a lot of us had with Ridley in Sm4sh.

And what's with all of these bets? I'm not at all a betting man, but if Dovahkiin is in, I'm buying all of the Smash DLC and going premium here just so I can see him in the back of my posts.

I can't wait to see when we get the character revealed officially, and then everyone goes to explain why that was the most obvious addition possible because it was hinted at in the clouds of some random POTD. You know that's coming too.

I do find it impressive that there haven't been any major leaks lately. Nintendo's gotten good at this - back in Sm4sh, everyone knew that Roy and Ryu were in for ages before they were officially revealed. Last year, they wised up enough to give codenames, but most people ended up pinpointing 'Brave' (reasonably) correctly. Now, all we have is radio silence.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to continue fantasizing about DovahKirby.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
The sheer mystery of who the character is extremely exciting to me.

It's either going to blow people's minds or crush souls. Probably both.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Oh yeah. Especially if it is someone like Arle or a "Moonlit Harvester"; Those that play a significant role in gaming history but don't really intersect with Super Smash Bros.'s target audience (and might as well not exist in North America).

Actually, what is the deal with Harvest Moon? Stardew Valley did really well for itself over here so there is a market for games like it, but I haven't heard a peep from the franchise in years.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Interesting

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Y'know, when Sakurai used to do the Pic of the Day for Smash 4, he would often post goofy or otherwise meaningless pics, and people might groan, because it was a day in which nothing was revealed, but, with very rare exception, no one tried to theorycraft those pics. People just understood Sakurai was having a bit of fun, and not everything meant something.

So I guess this is proof that we are indeed getting worse. Not to just target the Digimon people, because I've seen other camps do it as well.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. Especially if it is someone like Arle or a "Moonlit Harvester"; Those that play a significant role in gaming history but don't really intersect with Super Smash Bros.'s target audience (and might as well not exist in North America).

Actually, what is the deal with Harvest Moon? Stardew Valley did really well for itself over here so there is a market for games like it, but I haven't heard a peep from the franchise in years.
So the old Harvest Moon games were developed by Marvelous and localized by Natsume. Marvelous was going to start doing localizations within the company and break with Natsume, but then Natsume then filed a trademark for the Harvest Moon name.

so now all the farming games made by Marvelous (original creators of Harvest Moon) go by Story of Seasons, meanwhile Natsume is making their own farming games using the Harvest Moon name.

Marvelous owns everything except the name, for example there’s a remake of friends of mineral town game coming out that is now called Story of Seasons: friends of mineral town.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
JWittz decided to share a list of characters he personally doesn't want to see in Smash #1 is just a straight fact though.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm thinking Fighter 5 is going to have a character archetype that hasn't been done yet in the fighters pass.

Joker is a fast, lightweight character that use moves in quick succession. Can summon Arsene when a gauge is filled that powers up his specials.
Hero uses a Sword and Shield with slow but powerful swings, has magic attacks, a spell list along with the chance of getting a critical hit.
Banjo & Kazooie are an all-rounder type that can adapt to any situation much like Mario and Pit.
Terry is a close range Brawler that uses command inputs to strengthen his special moves and can do supers at higher percents.

Although this still introduces a wide scope of things, I think Fighter 5 could be a Zoner type character that predominantly uses projectiles to fight. It would certainly round out the Fighters Pass with a variety of play styles.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
JWittz decided to share a list of characters he personally doesn't want to see in Smash #1 is just a straight fact though.
This entire video physically hurt to watch.

I don't like to use "cringe" but... This is close.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm thinking Fighter 5 is going to have a character archetype that hasn't been done yet in the fighters pass.

Joker is a fast, lightweight character that use moves in quick succession. Can summon Arsene when a gauge is filled that powers up his specials.
Hero uses a Sword and Shield with slow but powerful swings, has magic attacks, a spell list along with the chance of getting a critical hit.
Banjo & Kazooie are an all-rounder type that can adapt to any situation much like Mario and Pit.
Terry is a close range Brawler that uses command inputs to strengthen his special moves and can do supers at higher percents.

Although this still introduces a wide scope of things, I think Fighter 5 could be a Zoner type character that predominantly uses projectiles to fight. It would certainly round out the Fighters Pass with a variety of play styles.
There are no heavyweights in the Fighter Pass.

It's Edelgard time, boys.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Number 8 hurts me on so many levels but he didn't really give a good reason for it. Just because he made it in Marvel vs Capcom doesn't mean he can't join smash. Mega Man had the same case and he made it in.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't ever seriously suggest it but I'd really like Goku just for the internet's reaction alone.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm at #10 and I'm already not a huge fan of this list; his main justification for Captain Toad being on this list is that he can't jump, even though that hasn't stopped the MANY Smash Bros. characters who can't jump in gameplay (Snake, most RPG protagonists, etc.) or can barely jump at all (Inkling, among others). It's like claiming that Ridley's too big - there are a bunch of counter-examples that are just being ignored.

Looking through the preview in the progress bar, he also has Dixie Kong, Geno, Bandanna Dee, Rayman, and Doomguy in that list - I know that the idea of who people want or don't want in Smash is a matter of opinion, and I'll still watch the list to hear his reasoning for it, but it seems to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.

EDIT: I get that Dixie Kong's move options might be limited compared to others (though that certainly hasn't stopped the development team before), but Rayman certainly doesn't have that issue (he claims that Rayman has the same gimmick as Dixie, but Rayman Legends alone gives him roughly 90% of a moveset), and his arguments about violence (in the case of Doomguy) and relevance (in the case of Geno) seem flawed, especially when we got Bayonetta and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. (which still feels amazing to think about)

Saying that Phoenix Wright shouldn't be in because he's already been in a fighting game makes no sense. (then again, I've only played the first Phoenix Wright game, so I'm not sure what they could do for his moves outside of his MVC3 appearance) I agree with him about Byleth, though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Number 8 hurts me on so many levels but he didn't really give a good reason for it. Just because he made it in Marvel vs Capcom doesn't mean he can't join smash. Mega Man had the same case and he made it in.
That's not really what he said though. He just said he'd prefer to see someone else because UMvC3 did him justice, in his eyes.

And I mean, that's fair. Phoenix is one of my most wanted but I mean, it's still fair.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I agreed with a majority of this list, but seeing Phoenix Wright and Doom Slayer on there really killed it for me.

But I might as well throw my hat in the ring as well. Here are all of the characters that I hope to never see on my CSS for the entirety of Ultimates lifecycle.

KOS-MOS
Geno
Waluigi
Arle
Bandana Dee
Toad
Dixie Kong
Edelgard/Byleth
Jonesy
Isaac
Shantae
Any Gen 8 Pokemon
Akira Howard

No thanks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ngl, it's refreshing to see a big YouTuber talk about characters they don't want to see in Smash. A lot of outlets like Twitter and Gamefaqs tend to be a cesspool when it comes to something like this, so I prefer seeing more individuals like jwittz give such hot takes like these. Then again, none of the characters I want in Smash are on that list, so I guess that makes me a bit biased on that vid.

Also, RAID SHADOW LEGENDS SPONORING A SMASH DLC VIDEO!??!?!?! WHAT COULD THIS MEAN!?!?!?1?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krankees

Smash Ace
That's not really what he said though. He just said he'd prefer to see someone else because UMvC3 did him justice, in his eyes.

And I mean, that's fair. Phoenix is one of my most wanted but I mean, it's still fair.
UMVC3 did do a good job with Phoenix but smash isn't exactly gonna give him lasers and giant finger attacks. I think Smash could do even better plus there's other stuff like music and spirits that could be added.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Oddly enough, despite the mass 3rd party deconfirmations by both Verge & Sabi, neither has bothered to deconfirm Nintendo as a whole or even a Spirit/AT chatacter.

You would think both would be the easiest to say "yeah Fighter 5 isn't this" but instead it's been living this long. Ironically enough, both of those were on Verge's mass kill list from December before he quickly backtracked on that. So even now, potentially a few days until the Direct both are still living.
Because it's obvious that Assist Trophies aren't getting promoted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, it's 50/50 for me. I strongly disagree with Captain Toad, Dixie, BWD, and especially Chorus Kids. I think all of them are pretty significant Nintendo characters who would be great additions.

Kinda agree with him on Geno though, and him feeling like there's something wrong with him for not wanting the character in Smash like a majority of the fanbase does is something I can relate to.

Goku was kind of a cheap pick for #1. Most people agree that he's right there with Spongebob and Shrek. It's probably not happening.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Number 1 should have been Raid Shadow Legends.

But Terry and Banjo & Kazooie are both heavyweights though.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
15 hours into Three Houses, so far I don't see how Byleth wouldn't be the most interesting pick if we absolutely had to get another FE character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't care which characters people want or don't want in Smash. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think saying you don't want a character should be nearly as "taboo" as this place treats it. But it's often when people try to justify their decisions that they run into contradictions and points that don't quite hit the mark, because they're expounding from a place of bias.

It'd honestly be more sincere to just say "I just don't want this character/don't think they'd be a good fit" than try to rationalize it with (oftentimes) irrational arguments, because now everyone is just going to pick apart the reasoning, when it's the feeling behind it that really dictated the list.

But of course, that doesn't make for a very good video.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You're assuming the only thing in Arle's favor is that stupid picture. It isn't
Please give me one piece of new evidence that points to Arle being FP5. All I have seen peddled by her base are the Twitter pictures and Puyo Puyo getting a game on SNES online. And that is not going to be enough to magically change my mind on her not being FP5.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Number 1 should have been Raid Shadow Legends.

But Terry and Banjo & Kazooie are both heavyweights though.
I mean, we technically already have that type of character with Banjo and Terry.
Real talk, I didn't realize Terry was as heavy as he was, lol. The 107-108 range was always what I saw Edelgard potentially being, give or take a unit or two, which is actually about what Terry is, funny enough.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Meh list. There are some picks I agree with like Doom Individual and Geno, but a good half of them I'd rather see than pretty much every DLC character we've gotten thus far.

That would suggest we ever had good Nintentubers which we know for a fact isn't possible
I was about to say Chuggaaconroy, but then I remembered that he quite openly likes Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is equivalent to surrendering his right to validity. So I got nothing.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Imagine being so numb in the bum that you actively post on multiple support threads to target a video containing a guy's list of opinions.
Gale_dabbing.gif

(For the record, I only disagree with Phoenix Wright, but that's no reason to go on a witch hunt here)​

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Or crush minds and blow souls

That would suggest we ever had good Nintentubers which we know for a fact isn't possible
Does ScottTheWoz count or does his recreational tax dodging disqualify him?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
UMVC3 did do a good job with Phoenix but smash isn't exactly gonna give him lasers and giant finger attacks. I think Smash could do even better plus there's other stuff like music and spirits that could be added.
That is true. The two series do have different approaches to character creation; The Super Smash Bros. Series tries to represent each character as faithfully as possible while the Marvel Vs. Capcom series does all it can to push each character to the point of absurdity.

Or to put it another way Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds was my introduction to Ryu. Needless to say I was very disappointed when I saw what a Shinku Hadouken actually looked like.

15 hours into Three Houses, so far I don't see how Byleth wouldn't be the most interesting pick if we absolutely had to get another FE character.
To be honest I don't get why people find him boring. To be honest, I'd say he's the most interesting character in the game. I haven't interacted with the characters outside of the Golden Deer House, and it's implied that things get real after the time skip though so my opinion may change, but currently, I think he's one of the best.

However, I will concede that he definitely will be incredibly boring in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate since without context I feel the character would just be reduced to "is a teacher that does not emote". And also you're not able to imprint on him like you're supposed to and my ability to do so may be why I like the character in the first place.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Please give me one piece of new evidence that points to Arle being FP5. All I have seen peddled by her base are the Twitter pictures and Puyo Puyo getting a game on SNES online. And that is not going to be enough to magically change my mind on her not being FP5.
Dont bother, there isnt a single character that has "evidence" of being in the game. I still firmly believe FP5 will be someone nobody talks about

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
There's only three characters in that list where I agree, and even then, I find those arguments for Geno to be quite outdated.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I have nothing to say yet, I just want to have post #75,000 for this thread.

Edit:
Well, nevermind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom