• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Daisy was chosen because she's a Mario newcomer like Piranha Plant. I don't get why it's hard to figure that out like damn, people read way too deep into things.

D

Deleted member

Besides, isn't Account Betting pretty a total ***** move because it suggests that one would rather delete their entire account and peace out rather than admit they're wrong about something
Why do people think the appeal of account bets is avoiding responsibility? If anything, following through with the bet is proof you admit you were wrong because you lost the condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why do people think the appeal of account bets is avoiding responsibility? If anything, following through with the bet is proof you admit you were wrong because you lost the condition.
Not really. It's hyper easy to do and is literally running away.

It's simply obnoxious instead. It doesn't prove a thing whatsoever. It's not actually owning up cause you simply called it wrong to begin with.

There's zero benefit at all for anyone but the person who deleted an account over a game. Many people do eventually leave the site(which you don't need to remove your account to do so). Being overly dramatic over a simple game speculation isn't one of them.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
MMO: Someone from Phantasy Star Online 2 would make the most sense to me.
Since my baby GK isn't here to say it, Gale will: Elenor Camuel.

Though on the subject of Sega reps and robots. Motherf***ing Virtual On.

Dating Sim.
Shiori Fujisaki. Only because superior characters like Yuina Himoo and Mira Kagami would be spirits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My opinion on the Daisy thing is I really doubt Sakurai could have chosen a random fighter and people wouldn't have looked into it.

Luigi? That must be a hint for Gooigi!

Marth? Get ready for Three Houses.

Bowser? Could this be a hint for Agumon?

Pikachu? Could this be a hint for SwSh?

Peach? It's a woman.

Megaman? It's a robot.

Fox? Maybe Krystal?

Samus? Might be a hint for KOSMOS.

You see my point right? This theory is problematic because it could be applied to every other scenario where Sakurai attempts to avoid it.
Not really. It's hyper easy to do and is literally running away.

It's simply obnoxious instead. It doesn't prove a thing whatsoever. It's not actually owning up cause you simply called it wrong to begin with.

There's zero benefit at all for anyone but the person who deleted an account over a game. Many people do eventually leave the site(which you don't need to remove your account to do so). Being overly dramatic over a simple game speculation isn't one of them.
Gonna disagree. I believe there are a lot of assumptions over character here and a complete lack of historical context.

Back in the Erdrick speculation scene, the madlad DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon (TPC) was taking a poll for forum bets in the social thread over whether Erdrick would get in. Whichever posts got ten likes he would have to do. One of them was a ****post "you will have to die if Erdrick is not in." TPC understandably compromised and claimed he'd delete his account should he lose. This was back in the day where TPC was incredibly active and he sort of liked Smashboards.

In comes me, who was reading all of this. If you knew me back in the day, you would know I would back Erdrick with my life. I followed every substantial leak that had him and would debate unhealthily in the Geno thread. I decided I wanted in on this and joined TPC in his bet. I thought it would be fun if I had to worry about a list of consequences if I lost the bet and that I could do it with somebody like TPC. Part of the thrill were the consequences and how you didn't want to do them. Case in point, none of us wanted to delete our accounts.

Then the person who made the "death bet," previously known as Onereasonanddone, decided it would only be fair if he deleted his account should Erdrick get in. Now it became a competition and it was a massive spectacle for outsiders. Some people hated the idea of deleting accounts but others thought it was fun or hilarious to watch us squabble. Some other people wanted in like Ryumo, Hinata, and Shotostar.

People had so much betting fever to where I built off a Banjo account bet and had a lot of the social thread join in with minor bets. They all ended consequentially.

Screenshot_20200111-090439_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-090128_Opera.jpg

It's funner if you actually participate in them because then a sense of comraderie and competition is built. It really changes how you look at speculation and it was far more entertaining than debating Erdrick and Banjo for the uptillion time.

It's ingrained into the culture somewhat and saying it's done to ***** out on being wrong is a complete disregard to why people do it in the first place. It's for the thrill. Ever watch a gambling anime like Akagi or Kakegurai and the protagonist gets a rush from nearly dying? It's kind of like that. It's completely for fun in a ****ed up way, and that's what these bets should be. No more or less.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, anybody making life jokes about a game character is being ridiculous too.

That sounds the opposite of fun and is pretty uncomfortable thing to hear. Like, really? Just, no.

Those weren't remotely justified either. It was a bad joke. People make them sometimes. Doesn't make them less bad no matter who does it.

Besides, in context, the latest account bet was pure drama, so the claim doesn't work here that it had any point beyond that. Even if some were poorly made under the guise of "fun" back then, to pretend it's always like that is not remotely true. Still completely running away and proves nothing. Never will prove anything either. There's ways to own up. It's actually harder to say "well, I called it wrong" and move on. People giving you grief? Report 'em. They know better than to troll others over stuff like this. Rubbing salt in the wound is a large problem that people have done. It's all just being silly over nothing.

Interesting
I mean, I think Digimon is in the running(especially since it's a major active series, no lack of popularity, and ripe with moveset potential), but hints aren't being given for it.

Though hey, images can remind people of stuff they like. That's still a pretty cool interpretation. Hint? No. Fun image to remind you of stuff? Yes.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is exactly how we stop Sakurai from posting pictures, FYI.

D

Deleted member

Okay Knight. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on what we see as entertainment. However, I do not appreciate your assumptions like you know me or my friends.

There's ways to own up. It's actually harder to say "well, I called it wrong" and move on. People giving you grief? Report 'em. They know better than to troll others over stuff like this. Rubbing salt in the wound is a large problem that people have done. It's all just being silly over nothing.
This right here is annoying. Do you know me? Do you know the people who made these bets? Clearly you don't and you're only assuming **** about them.

Mate, I can ****ing admit I was wrong. I was wrong about a newcomer being at the VGA. I was wrong about FP 4 being anybody other than an SNK rep. I was wrong about Cacomallow being credible. I'm probably going to be wrong about KOSMOS. And everyone who lost that Erdrick and Banjo bet I told you admitted they were wrong.

But nope! I'm running away if I delete my account for being wrong! The fact that you had to make assumptions on people you do not know even though I explained in detail why this viewpoint could be wrong is stubborn beyond belief.

Do you know why nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 made his account bet? Do you? Do tell me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself think if Sega gets a new rep, it will likely be either someone from the Yakuza series or another Sonic character.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Bets when it comes to Smash are always a bit amusing. Sometimes it gets blown up in their face due to how unexpected Smash is. I know the guy who made a bet on Gamefaqs that he'd eat a shoe if Banjo-Kazooie got into Smash since he was so sure they were "Impossible" picks. Now look.

This is why I don't do bets and will gladly admit I am wrong if my speculation is wrong.

D

Deleted member

Bets when it comes to Smash are always a bit amusing. Sometimes it gets blown up in their face due to how unexpected Smash is. I know the guy who made a bet on Gamefaqs that he'd eat a shoe if Banjo-Kazooie got into Smash since he was so sure they were "Impossible" picks. Now look.
Reminds me of when Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku ate paper when BK got in. RIP him.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

This is why I don't do bets and will gladly admit I am wrong if my speculation is wrong.
Did he actually eat a shoe, though?

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Sakurai is just f***ing around with the camera mode and he has the tools and knowledge to make interesting pictures. There's no point overanalyzing the images because they have no meaning, and I am certain that most of us are aware of that, but it is also amusing to discover how people interpret them. For instance, all I see are a s***load of Ridge Racer references and I can even provide detailed explanations for it, and then you'll start to see them as well. Though it's only a coincidence. Somehow, other people see things like this.

Someone else interpreted the images as Digimon. In a way, we see what we want to see from these pictures. That can be harmless as long as you don't accept it as reality.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Speaking of Arle, that brings up an idea. If you had to choose characters from unrepresented genres (not genre spanners but characters primarily known for a singular genre) who would you pick?

Puzzlers: Lip (Panel de Pon)
Mystery: Prof. Layton or Phoenix Wright
Rhythm: The Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Bullet-hell: Reimu (Touhou Project)
FPS: Doom Slayer (DOOM)
FarmSim: Jack (Harvest Moon)
Cards: Hanafuda (Koi Koi)
Text: Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk)

There are some genres I'm not as familiar with, like MMOs, and football managers and dating sims, so if anyone can think of previously unrepresented genres I've left out, chime in.
  • Puzzle Games - Professor Layton
  • Rhythm Games - Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Shoot-'em-Ups - Vic Viper (Gradius)
  • Card Games - Kalas (Baten Kaitos)
  • MMORPG - The Lich King (World of Warcraft)
  • Sports Games - Mamoru Endou / Mark Evans (Inazuma Eleven)
  • Visual Novels - Phoenix Wright

D

Deleted member

Honestly with the lack of news, Nintendo really shouldn't be surprised that so many people are trying to look to deep in some images
At least nothing leaked yet. That's what would really set Nintendo off.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Interesting

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Alright, I thought the arle thing was enough, this just is the icing on the cake of ridiculous **** coming from smashboards lol. Absolutely stretching the hell out of these pictures

You know what? I want to make my own Ridiculous theory. Maybe I should just find a bunch of people with rumors too while I’m at it and claim “I’m not a leaker just talkin bout some
Rumors and ****”

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Alright, I thought the arle thing was enough, this just is the icing on the cake of ridiculous **** coming from smashboards lol. Absolutely stretching the hell out of these pictures

You know what? I want to make my own Ridiculous theory. Maybe I should just find a bunch of people with rumors too while I’m at it and claim “I’m not a leaker just talkin bout some
Rumors and ****”
This is the same board that believes that deconfirmations from companies actually confirms characters because of “NDAs” and what not.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai is just f***ing around with the camera mode and he has the tools and knowledge to make interesting pictures. There's no point overanalyzing the images because they have no meaning, and I am certain that most of us are aware of that, but it is also amusing to discover how people interpret them. For instance, all I see are a s***load of Ridge Racer references and I can even provide detailed explanations for it, and then you'll start to see them as well. Though it's only a coincidence. Somehow, other people see things like this.

Someone else interpreted the images as Digimon. In a way, we see what we want to see from these pictures. That can be harmless as long as you don't accept it as reality.
Tis what happens when we go months without news on the next fighter or an direct.
At least nothing leaked yet. That's what would really set Nintendo off.
And why if they're gonna have a direct this week should have done it this week to avoid leaks. Now that they supposedly waited until next week is FP5 going to get leaked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright everybody. I will now prove why Bomberman is in using interpretive Sakurai images.

This image pays tribute to Bomberman's origins as a tech demo for Hudson Soft back in 1980. It was the most bareboned mechanics of Bomberman and it looks like a bad fan attempt at making their own Bomberman game. He doesn't even have the iconic white head and blue body, but a generic dude or rat thing. It shows that Bomberman is as old as home gaming itself.

This image is representative of bosses in Bomberman. Usually they are depicted as huge machines or beasts that you need to systematically blow up. Mewtwo here represents the White Bomber we all know and love.

This one's obvious. Animal buddies. Bomberman has an assortment of cute animal companions he can recruit that will assist him in anyway. Isabelle reminds me a lot of Pommy so that clearly is what Sakurai is going for.

Classic reference. This one shows Bomberman acquiescing to his newfound drunk abusive step-dad, Konami. Jigglypuff represents Hudson Soft trapped away in Konami's dungeon and Falco represents Konami holding the 3ds Bomberman game that was cancelled.

This is 100% fact and no one can disagree with me.

D

Deleted member

Oh please.

All those pictures are clearly referencing Goku.
-insert theory that no one gives a crap about here-

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Fighter 5 is gonna garner salt no matter who it ends up being

this is the Smash community we're talking about.
Even if FP5 is somehow a popular request like Doom Guy, Geno, or Sora, the very same people who wanted them will find some way to whine about them. So, yes it is inevitable.

D

Deleted member

Even if FP5 is somehow a popular request like Doom Guy, Geno, or Sora, the very same people who wanted them will find some way to whine about them. So, yes it is inevitable.
I know people who will specifically complain about Doom Guy, Geno, and Sora getting in anyways. Nobody can win 100%.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The tweets hints at Heihachi being FP5 because if you get sufficiently cross-eyed at one of them you can vaguely see a scribbly shape of Ken giving a thumbs up.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Y'know, I'm still on board with doing the "Eiscue of shame" bet (the guy who loses has to use that pokémon as an avatar for a week).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Fighter 5 is gonna garner salt no matter who it ends up being

this is the Smash community we're talking about

Dread it, run from it, salt arrives all the same
Some of the few things we can guarantee about FP5:
  • They have supporters somewhere.
  • There will be a few people who think the inclusion is the best of the entire pack.
  • There will be even more people who think it's a totally unworthy inclusion.
  • "Why wasn't it X?!"
  • All of the salt.
  • There will be a lot of people saying "Literally who?" even if the character is from one of the best-known games of all time.
  • Most of this will be forgotten in a few months when we're speculating about the E3 reveal(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom