• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
What do you mean? He can't really do Mario's moveset since....he's flat?
You can give Mario's moveset to Paper Mario. I don't see why because I don't think you can just paste the animations on to something that's going to appear flat and have it work well. You'd probably have to do it from scratch to fit the paper appearance which seems like a waste when you can go ahead and give a unique moveset.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Those are my two biggest hopes for Nintendo characters, so I'd be ecstatic beyond measure.

If they were FP5, however, I expect tons of angry responses, yeah. If Nintendo characters happen post pass, I think people would be more open to the idea of their inclusion as long as people get a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character as well. That's the single biggest Nintendo game right now that isn't Pokemon Sword and Shield, and people are rightfully scared that they might miss out despite having a far better reception among fans than Fates did.
I... don't really get that argument. Even if a Three Houses rep doesn't make it for Ultimate, they'd still have great chances for the next game, seeing as it's selling exceptionally well for FE standards.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
.....I'm confused by this. But the two have different skills in canon anyway.
Just think of Paper Mario punching and kicking.

Like this neutral combo someone made here is just normal Mario's neutral.

Then picture stuff like that for the rest of his moves.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I... don't really get that argument. Even if a Three Houses rep doesn't make it for Ultimate, they'd still have great chances for the next game, seeing as it's selling exceptionally well for FE standards.
Maybe "scared" is overdoing it, but "next game" is not something anyone wants to think about right now. Even if some of our favorites make it in the "next game", there's a very high chance not everyone will come back next time.

It's better for all of our wants to make it into Ultimate right now, because it's highly likely that this roster where everyone is together and no one was left out only happens once.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
.....I'm confused by this.
Methinks it's a typo, as it conflicts with the rest of the post.

My thinking is that Paper Mario can't adopt Mario's moveset for two reasons: The first is that he acts like a 2D sprite when moving, so any moves involving spinning aren't going to translate correctly without changing how his movement is portrayed, and even then it might be unclear. The second is that Paper Mario's proportions are way different; he has no legs, and his head is bigger than his arms, meaning that he can't use any kick attacks, and his punch attacks are barely going to reach beyond his hurtboxes.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Maybe "scared" is overdoing it, but "next game" is not something anyone wants to think about right now. Even if some of our favorites make it in the "next game", there's a very high chance not everyone will come back next time.

It's better for all of our wants to make it into Ultimate right now, because it's highly likely that this roster where everyone is together and no one was left out only happens once.
I mean... yeah, but at the same time, that applies to basically any character or fanbase, not just FE. Plus, having "all your wants" make it now and not later is flat out impossible considering a lot of first party characters people want are Spirits/ATs and I doubt we're getting that many promotions if these do end up happening.

Someone's gonna be let down at the end of the day no matter what.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's hoping...

But can you imagine this thread if we all log in tomorrow and we see something like

Mr. Rime Taps In!

We already got Monkey's Paw'd asking for a direct, now all we need is to get Monkey's Paw'd about asking for first parties. :joyful:

Seriously though, wasn't there an insider or someone who mentioned that the 3rd was the internal deadline for developers to send Ninty their trailers? If translation/etc. takes a week or two, it'd make sense to keep an eye on the 16th.

I am 100% all for this.

Bring on the DLC. Even DLC echoes/stages/costumes for Miis and normal characters. Ultimate really feels like one of those games that could get supported for ages, and it's also not pushy *coughNetherrealmcough* about the DLC like leaving empty blanks in the CSS. I really think their best bet would be to just keep supporting Ultimate for as long as possible.
I'm pretty sure that Monkey's Paw implies a negative outcome. Mr. Rime is hardly that.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Methinks it's a typo, as it conflicts with the rest of the post.

My thinking is that Paper Mario can't adopt Mario's moveset for two reasons: The first is that he acts like a 2D sprite when moving, so any moves involving spinning aren't going to translate correctly without changing how his movement is portrayed, and even then it might be unclear. The second is that Paper Mario's proportions are way different; he has no legs, and his head is bigger than his arms, meaning that he can't use any kick attacks, and his punch attacks are barely going to reach beyond his hurtboxes.
It was not a typo. My point was you can give the moveset but there's little point to do so. You're basically putting in the work of an original moveset for... an existing moveset.

Also you can translate spinning to Paper Mario because he's literally able to spin around in the games.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
It was not a typo. My point was you can give the moveset but there's little point to do so. You're basically putting in the work of an original moveset for... an existing moveset.
But Toon Link have no long legs and thus, different moves to deal with this.,,,soo they would still have to deal with new moves for Paoer Mario anyway,

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh ok.

Also you can translate spinning to Paper Mario because he's literally able to spin around in the games.
Paper Mario's spinning animations are the equivalent of a portrait flip. It wouldn't suffice when trying to replicate something like Mario's Down Aerial, and giving him a more fluid animation to fix this issue would betray the pop-up book style he's supposed to portray.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys who wanna watch the Pokémon direct. Heads up!

D

Deleted member

Mystery Dungeon huh? I never played one of them. A game on the switch might be pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

9:30am for those in EST. I'll probably end up missing it; I'm going to be busy this morning.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given the deadline is February. I have the patience for FP5 given its now likely that's when he/she will be revealed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey guys who wanna watch the Pokémon direct. Heads up!
Didn't plan on tuning in, but if Mystery Dungeon will be there then it's probably worth a watch. I haven't enjoyed the past two games all that much, but Super was at least better than Gates, and it being on the Switch could be interesting.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm from an hour in the future. Pokemon Direct was good, still don't understand why they announced a Sonic Adventure Remake there though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay, but here's an idea: What if they do announce a Pokémon as Smash fighter at the Pokémon Direct. . . but it's the first post-pass character?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Okay, but here's an idea: What if they do announce a Pokémon as Smash fighter at the Pokémon Direct. . . but it's the first post-pass character?
I'm curious to see what would happen if we get a promoted Poke Ball first. Would people still have hope for AT promos?

D

Deleted member

I don't have high hopes for any of my most wanted being fighter #5, yet I'm still pretty excited nonetheless. The current pass introduced me to Persona 5 and Dragon Quest, both of which I enjoy very much (P5 is one of my favorite games ever and I've already beaten the first three DQ games and currently working my way through XI), so I'm down with the possibility of being exposed to another new franchise that I may end up really taking to.
Pretty much. After years of not playing a Dragon Quest game or KoF 94, Smash Bros reinvigorated my interest in the series, as shown by me marathoning Dragon Quest and getting all the music for KoF 94-00

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Coulda sworn one part of the Direct repeated itself at one point and that was confusing AF. Either that or my stream might have lagged.

The best part of the Direct was the first two minutes anyways so yeah lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Two new regions?
Apricorn balls?
Two new Wild Areas?
Everyone is here?
Not quite.
Yes.
Technically.
Absolutely not. There will still be about 200 missing Pokémon.

All things considered it does look like GameFreak is headed in a good direction with the series. I'm not just gonna get the pass willy nilly but I will definitely keep an eye on it. I will als-"Thanks for Watching!"

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why do the new Legendary Birds look like the original Kanto trio yet are apparently not just Galarian forms?

I don’t know why this bugs me but it does a bit.

Anyway, Mustard for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom