• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
one last unrealistic wish: Project X Zone 3 for Switch, with the Nintendo 3 from 2 returning, Frank West returning, the Shinobi cast drastically reduced, Bayonetta finally in, and some new Nintendo characters like Shulk, Elma, Palutena, Captain Falcon, Samus, maybe Officer Howard too

but iirc one of the lead programmers quit so

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If you could choose THREE things to see in an upcoming Direct besides Smash DLC what would they be?

- Halo for Switch
- Rare Replay (or BK/BT) for Switch
- Kart 8 DLC
1. A new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Conquest game
2. Megaman X9 or Sonic Mania 2
3. Super Mario 64 DS HD

(honorable mention: a nintendo-developed Steven Universe or Avatar: The Last Airbender game, but that's never happening).

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Actually one thing I did forget and its the surprise that the developer doesn't have a game on Switch yet to my knowledge.

Vanillaware. Port Muramasa The Demon Blade or Odin Sphere and I'm satisfied.

OK, OK and a No More Heroes collection.

Edit - Yeah, Vanillaware doesn't have a game on Switch. Thats pretty surprising.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If you could choose THREE things to see in an upcoming Direct besides Smash DLC what would they be?

- Halo for Switch
- Rare Replay (or BK/BT) for Switch
- Kart 8 DLC
- Star Tropics 3
- Mother 3 - English Version
- F Zero Collection HD (Included GX, AX, X, original, all GBA titles, X’s track editor from the 64DD, and all satellaview tracks).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Three things I would love to see not Smash related at the upcoming Nintendo Direct?

- Super Mario Odyssey DLC or Super Mario Odyssey 2. So much untapped potential for Mario 3D content built off of Odyssey.
- Skyward Sword HD that fixes a bunch of the problems with that game so I can actually enjoy it.
- New F-Zero game.

It's actually kind of hard for me to make a list of stuff nowadays. Nintendo gave Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon on console, Super Mario Maker 2, and a Link's Awakening remake last year, will be giving me a Animal Crossing in March, and they got a whole bunch of the ports I've wanted in Assassin's Creed IV, Overwatch, and The Witcher III.

Like, port The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World, and Pikmin 3 to Switch and we'll just go ahead and knock out the last of Nintendo burying the Wii U while we're at it lol, but they just keep delivering with Switch lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
one last unrealistic wish: Project X Zone 3 for Switch, with the Nintendo 3 from 2 returning, Frank West returning, the Shinobi cast drastically reduced, Bayonetta finally in, and some new Nintendo characters like Shulk, Elma, Palutena, Captain Falcon, Samus, maybe Officer Howard too

As far as PXZ is concerned, it's on top of my (unrealistic) wishlist if only because the localization for both games were hilarious. Not just Segata's chapter in 2, but also stuff like Alisa from God Eater pointing out Jin / Kazuya's hypocrisy and Dante being aware of how broken Vergil was in UMvC3.

Bonus points if they actually allow non-humans again, because that would shore up the PXZ cast if you ask me. Sonic and co., Pac-Man, Amaterasu etc. even returnees like Klonoa.

Or just go for broke with Project Y No.T: Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Namco, Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm/arts.

Also:

It would look really weird if Torchic's one of the toys.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As far as PXZ is concerned, it's on top of my (unrealistic) wishlist if only because the localization for both games were hilarious. Not just Segata's chapter in 2, but also stuff like Alisa from God Eater pointing out Jin / Kazuya's hypocrisy and Dante being aware of how broken Vergil was in UMvC3.

Bonus points if they actually allow non-humans again, because that would shore up the PXZ cast if you ask me. Sonic and co., Pac-Man, Amaterasu etc. even returnees like Klonoa.

Or just go for broke with Project Y No.T: Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Namco, Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm/arts.

Also:

It would look really weird if Torchic's one of the toys.
I kinda hope if there is a next PXZ, they throw in Konami, Square-Enix, and maybe even Atlus. Atlus may be easy as it's part of Sega now. JOKER IN A PXZ WOULD BE SOOOOO DOPE OH MY GOD.

also
>KFC
>I haven't eaten lunch today and im hungry af rn

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Time immemorial, street merchants in Hyrule were basically unnamed nobodies. Well, until one shrewd yet savvy Scatman put them all on the map. Before there was Beedle, Happy Mask Salesman, etc., there was... another. Whether copying his overdramatic gestures, selling his wares, or both, each salesperson can give credit to only one name:

Morshu can "no-sell" any of his items that are reflected/caught and thrown back at him; they will deal absolutely no damage to him. That is, until you're... mmmm... a little richer stronger. Until Morshu is at or above specific damage percentages, each of his own items cannot harm him, including explosives.

Up Special: Magic Carpet

Inspired by the Magic Carpet Merchant from Ocarina of Time, who was inspired by Gwonam from Link: the Faces of Evil, who bought their magic carpet from Morshu. Press up and the special button to hover around on a magic carpet for up to 6 seconds. It has great maneuverability, and it allows Morshu to play keep away, if his intentions are to avoid taking damage as long as possible. Be careful, however: other characters can hop on the magic carpet. The move is perfect for team battles because it allows partners to hop on and use ground-based attacks in midair. The carpet deals no damage itself, but it can be combined with Morshu's....

Neutral special: Lamp Oil/Magic Lantern

Similar to Inkling's paint, when lamp oil is splashed on other characters, any flame/explosive damage done to them is increased until it dissipates. Press the special button to throw lamp oil on objects or other characters. However, when you hold down the button, Morshu pulls out his Magic Lantern instead. Press the button again to toss it. The strategy is to splash oil on things, and then burn them with bombs or the lantern. If you're holding the lantern while using the magic carpet, Morshu drops it and sets it on fire, shortening the length of the carpet's flight, but allowing it to deal damage. In traditional Legend of Zelda fashion, there's a limit to how many times you can use lamp oil (complete with a meter to show how much is remaining). Morshu can use oil up to 6 times (per stock). When he's out, he simply tosses an unlit lantern at you. Morshu must be at or above 20% damage for the lantern's "no-sell" to wear off and harm him.

Down Special: Bombs

Morshu's bombs do not explode on impact. They're timed. They explode in 6 seconds. You can detonate them early by splashing oil on them, which also increases damage. Holding a bomb while using the magic carpet allows Morshu to pull off literal carpet-bomb shenanigans. Bombs no-sell until Morshu is at or above %50.

Side Special: Ropes

Press to toss a rope that briefly binds opponents; the more they're hurt, the harder it is to break free. The move deals little damage itself, but it's good for starting combos. Hold the button to use the move as a tether recovery, or use it to grab items from afar, including things like your own bombs! The ropes no-sells until Morshu is at or above 10% damage.

Jab Combo: (Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub)

Smash Attack: Morshu pulls out a table like Kilton (Breath of the Wild).

And flips it. When charging the attack, Morshu stands behind the counter, as if he were selling his wares. The table is a projectile that no-sells until Morshu is damaged at or above 99%.

Forward Tilt: Morshu slices you with a rubie Rupee he pulls from his vest. It makes its signature "cha-chang" noise if the hit connects.

Down Air: With both hands cuffed together, Morshu bashes opponents' heads from above with a devastating meteor attack:

Forward Throw: The Shakedown

Up Taunt: Morshu Looks directly at players like:
And (sarcastically?) shows his gratitude with a big:

Down Taunt: ZZZzzzZzz. Morshu is bored to sleep, much like the Bombchu Alley Operator

Side Taunt: When there's money to be made, sometimes you can't help but to scratch that itch.

Forward Air: (It's yours, my friend):
The move has a sweetspot at the tip of his finger.

Dash Attack: Aside from being a master-class salesman, Morshu is a man of a particular size; he's a big one. Goron are also super huge and their merchants are some of the greatest in Hyrule. For example, Goron merchants casually sold Link items, even when he was perceived as the enemy (Ocarina of Time), they wear clothing to attract non-Goron customers (Minish Cap/Wind Waker); and they sell items they have no need for, despite using rocks for everything (including food). Due to their size and business prowess, no doubt they were inspired by Morshu himself. In Smash, Morshu returns the favor with their signature Goron Roll as his dash attack. Below is a visual demonstration of Morshu performing the attack.

Down Smash: (The first gif I ever created!)

The attack hits in both directions simultaneously; both his hands and backside deal damage.

Idle Animation: Constantly swaying in motion with his back slouched and arms behind his back, Morshu stands like:

Up throw: Morshu buries opponents in the ground, then a magic bean carries them upwards. Speaking of which, here's what happens if you hold his crouching animation over six seconds. He starts starts eating a bag of beans he pulls from his vest like:

Up Air: Similar to Villager's turnips, Morshu holds a potion bottle in the air. Green does standard damage (10%), Red does less (7%), but heals Morshu (2%) if it connects, and there's a rare opportunity for him to pull out a Blue Potion that deals a ton of damage (18%), heals (2%), and replenishes lamp oil if it connects.

Victory Animation: He pets a cat behind a counter like:

And since I'm sure at least one person wants this, so uhhh... here's his Final Smash I guess.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You know... what about new IP’s? Discussing continuations to the same series from year to year gets a tad stale, as exciting as the actual sequels are. Something new to talk about would be refreshing (but hopefully it doesn’t get relegated to the ages as quickly as ARMS did...)

...I guess new IPs also aren’t so relevant to talk about here since they don’t have any relevance to Smash Ultimate aside from Spirit events, though...

(Unless they did the ultimate advertising pick: debuting a character and their IP in their Smash DLC reveal. I wonder if they’d be brazen enough to ever do that. I’d imagine that Sakurai would have to see some amazing moveset potential in the character first of course. It definitely would be quite a twist, huh?)

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
IMO its easily the worst Zelda ever made (and the controls are a small part of this)
SS is great.
Phantom Hourglass is widely regarded as the worst, not including the CD-i games.
By the way, Twilight Princess sucks.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Good for you! You're wrong.
CONS
- the sky is the worst overworld with less to do in it than Zelda 1's for the NES.
- The graphics did not properly utilize the artstyle, so the game looks like a blurry heap of pixels instead of anything even remotely close to watercolor (BOTW utilized its art direction perfectly)
- the game rehashed the beyond-worn out formula of beat the 3 dungeons to get the thing in order to do the next handful of dungeons to get the thing.
- no sidequests other than Skyward's version of skulltalla tokens
- its the most linear zelda ever made when the series is built on open-endedness
- the Imprisoned is a garbage boss fight you have to go through too many times
- backtrack to the same environments as opposed to discovering new areas throughout the game
- the controls work 70 percent of the time. thats not good enough. additionally, far too many events utilized motion controls for no reason other than the gimmick
- fi is the worst companion with no personality and constantly interrupts your game with the most basic of info

PROS
- the music slaps
- koloktos

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know... what about new IP’s? Discussing continuations to the same series from year to year gets a tad stale, as exciting as the actual sequels are. Something new to talk about would be refreshing (but hopefully it doesn’t get relegated to the ages as quickly as ARMS did...)

...I guess new IPs also aren’t so relevant to talk about here since they don’t have any relevance to Smash Ultimate aside from Spirit events, though...

(Unless they did the ultimate advertising pick: debuting a character and their IP in their Smash DLC reveal. I wonder if they’d be brazen enough to ever do that. I’d imagine that Sakurai would have to see some amazing moveset potential in the character first of course. It definitely would be quite a twist, huh?)
I don't think they'd ever go quite that far, but considering how well-regarded recent IPs like Splatoon and Astral Chain have been (and I am definitely one of the people who want the Astral Chain twins in Smash) I think they could definitely do that if the IP comes first and is well-regarded. Heck, even Ring Fit Adventure made a decent splash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Time immemorial, street merchants in Hyrule were basically unnamed nobodies. Well, until one shrewd yet savvy Scatman put them all on the map. Before there was Beedle, Happy Mask Salesman, etc., there was... another. Whether copying his overdramatic gestures, selling his wares, or both, each salesperson can give credit to only one name:

(Edited for brevity)
What in the name of **** did I just read.

I love it.

Krankees

Smash Ace

I would love to see Kiryu and Majima beat up enemies with the assistance of Phoenix Wright again.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
CONS
- the sky is the worst overworld with less to do in it than Zelda 1's for the NES.
- The graphics did not properly utilize the artstyle, so the game looks like a blurry heap of pixels instead of anything even remotely close to watercolor (BOTW utilized its art direction perfectly)
- the game rehashed the beyond-worn out formula of beat the 3 dungeons to get the thing in order to do the next handful of dungeons to get the thing.
- no sidequests other than Skyward's version of skulltalla tokens
- its the most linear zelda ever made when the series is built on open-endedness
- the Imprisoned is a garbage boss fight you have to go through too many times
- backtrack to the same environments as opposed to discovering new areas throughout the game
- the controls work 70 percent of the time. thats not good enough. additionally, far too many events utilized motion controls for no reason other than the gimmick
- fi is the worst companion with no personality and constantly interrupts your game with the most basic of info

PROS
- the music slaps
- koloktos

Your username is appropriate because that's an opinion we can just yeet right into the trash.

Morshu can "no-sell" any of his items that are reflected/caught and thrown back at him; they will deal absolutely no damage to him. That is, until you're... mmmm... a little richer stronger. Until Morshu is at or above specific damage percentages, each of his own items cannot harm him, including explosives.

Inspired by the Magic Carpet Merchant from Ocarina of Time, who was inspired by Gwonam from Link: the Faces of Evil, who bought their magic carpet from Morshu. Press up and the special button to hover around on a magic carpet for up to 6 seconds. It has great maneuverability, and it allows Morshu to play keep away, if his intentions are to avoid taking damage as long as possible. Be careful, however: other characters can hop on the magic carpet. The move is perfect for team battles because it allows partners to hop on and use ground-based attacks in midair. The carpet deals no damage itself, but it can be combined with Morshu's....

Similar to Inkling's paint, when lamp oil is splashed on other characters, any flame/explosive damage done to them is increased until it dissipates. Press the special button to throw lamp oil on objects or other characters. However, when you hold down the button, Morshu pulls out his Magic Lantern instead. Press the button again to toss it. The strategy is to splash oil on things, and then burn them with bombs or the lantern. If you're holding the lantern while using the magic carpet, Morshu drops it and sets it on fire, shortening the length of the carpet's flight, but allowing it to deal damage. In traditional Legend of Zelda fashion, there's a limit to how many times you can use lamp oil (complete with a meter to show how much is remaining). Morshu can use oil up to 6 times (per stock). When he's out, he simply tosses an unlit lantern at you. Morshu must be at or above 20% damage for the lantern's "no-sell" to wear off and harm him.

Morshu's bombs do not explode on impact. They're timed. They explode in 6 seconds. You can detonate them early by splashing oil on them, which also increases damage. Holding a bomb while using the magic carpet allows Morshu to pull off literal carpet-bomb shenanigans. Bombs no-sell until Morshu is at or above %50.

Press to toss a rope that briefly binds opponents; the more they're hurt, the harder it is to break free. The move deals little damage itself, but it's good for starting combos. Hold the button to use the move as a tether recovery, or use it to grab items from afar, including things like your own bombs! The ropes no-sells until Morshu is at or above 10% damage.

And flips it. When charging the attack, Morshu stands behind the counter, as if he were selling his wares. The table is a projectile that no-sells until Morshu is damaged at or above 99%.

Forward Tilt: Morshu slices you with a rubie Rupee he pulls from his vest. It makes its signature "cha-chang" noise if the hit connects.

Down Air: With both hands cuffed together, Morshu bashes opponents' heads from above with a devastating meteor attack:

Down Taunt: ZZZzzzZzz. Morshu is bored to sleep, much like the Bombchu Alley Operator

Side Taunt: When there's money to be made, sometimes you can't help but to scratch that itch.

Dash Attack: Aside from being a master-class salesman, Morshu is a man of a particular size; he's a big one. Goron are also super huge and their merchants are some of the greatest in Hyrule. For example, Goron merchants casually sold Link items, even when he was perceived as the enemy (Ocarina of Time), they wear clothing to attract non-Goron customers (Minish Cap/Wind Waker); and they sell items they have no need for, despite using rocks for everything (including food). Due to their size and business prowess, doubt they were inspired by Morshu himself. In Smash, Morshu returns the favor with their signature Goron Roll as his dash attack. Below is a visual demonstration of Morshu performing the attack.

The attack hits in both directions simultaneously; both his hands and backside deal damage.

Idle Animation: Constantly swaying in motion with his back slouched and arms behind his back, Morshu stands like:

Up throw: Morshu buries opponents in the ground, then a magic bean carries them upwards. Speaking of which, here's what happens if you hold his crouching animation over six seconds. He starts starts eating a bag of beans he pulls from his vest like:

Up Air: Similar to Villager's turnips, Morshu holds a potion bottle in the air. Green does standard damage (10%), Red does less (7%), but heals Morshu (2%) if it connects, and there's a rare opportunity for him to pull out a Blue Potion that deals a ton of damage (18%), heals (2%), and replenishes lamp oil if it connects.

And since I'm sure at least one person wants this, so uhhh... here's his Final Smash I guess.

What a trash choice. We should've gotten King Harkinian. He even has the better victory theme.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone. Seems pretty ordinary today but it's already Tuesday in my place, so I got a hunch we'll get a Direct announcement today.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
This post was warned for flaming

Your username is appropriate because that's an opinion we can just yeet right into the trash.
well instead of arguing like a Barnum and Bailey's Circus Spectacular headliner, why dont you explain your position?

or stick to discussing things like a 4th grade glue muncher. your call

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I'm betting we'll see at least one new IP at the next direct, but It's kind of hard to talk about new IPs since all we would be doing is taking a shot in the dark because they're new and unknown. The best we can do is maybe speculate the genre Nintendo might explore with the new IP.

That said, I'd be interested if Nintendo tried doing a game in the city building genre.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I like how people disregard how Sakurai views ATs as just as valuable as any other part of the game and only includes them as a way of trying to make people happy. Like geeze, some people act like Sakurai personally came to their home and slapped them. This fanbase has a huge case of entitlement.

Some of y'all take this stuff too seriously. It's a video game.
Yeah you guys! Stop talking about things you want from a company you're giving money to for a product of theirs! Just be happy with whatever you get because the team behind these products literally do everything out of the goodness of their hearts and not because of fame, money, job security, prestige, or any other reward. It's not like companies should care about what their consumers are saying anyway because we should just be grateful that capitalism allows for the creation of products and services that enrich our lives.

Don't worry, mate. I think I took care off all of dem entitled brats for you

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah you guys! Stop talking about things you want from a company you're giving money to for a product of theirs! Just be happy with whatever you get because the team behind these products literally do everything out of the goodness of their hearts and not because of fame, money, job security, prestige, or any other reward. It's not like companies should care about what their consumers are saying anyway because we should just be grateful that capitalism allows for the creation of products and services that enrich our lives.

Don't worry, mate. I think I took care off all of dem entitled brats for you
Thank you for proving my point about people taking this too seriously. Couldn't have written a better parody example myself.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
this was worth the wait

I really love how in-depth it goes and all the references to the different shopkeepers. I never would've expected that. This proves it, we need Morshu in Smash! The Zelda rep we deserve.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Dash Attack: Aside from being a master-class salesman, Morshu is a man of a particular size; he's a big one. Goron are also super huge and their merchants are some of the greatest in Hyrule. For example, Goron merchants casually sold Link items, even when he was perceived as the enemy (Ocarina of Time), they wear clothing to attract non-Goron customers (Minish Cap/Wind Waker); and they sell items they have no need for, despite using rocks for everything (including food). Due to their size and business prowess, doubt they were inspired by Morshu himself. In Smash, Morshu returns the favor with their signature Goron Roll as his dash attack. Below is a visual demonstration of Morshu performing the attack.

Well thought out,

I hope he becomes a little MMMMM richer after this DLC!

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, The scatman himself. This just really goes to show that we need Morshu as DLC he'd be hilarious yet awesome. Really nice work Katkit!

D

Deleted member

SS is great.
Phantom Hourglass is widely regarded as the worst, not including the CD-i games.
By the way, Twilight Princess sucks.
just Twilight Princess?

hot take: the entire Zelda franchise sucks besides BotW which was okay

MooMew64

Some of y'all have been so cranky lately.

Also, not gonna go into it too much 'cause it's off topic, but Skyward Sword is overhated and I will not stand for Twilight Princess slander.

None of the Zeldas are bad. :drshrug:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
just Twilight Princess?

hot take: the entire Zelda franchise sucks besides BotW which was okay
now THIS is a totally wrong statement

every action/adventure game ever made owes part of its creation to Zelda.

Also, not gonna go into it too much 'cause it's off topic, but Skyward Sword is overhated
its really not though. Skyward Sword was created within the worst era of Nintendo history. Every game in the Wii era was created with "accessibility for the casual market" in mind. Every aspect of Skyward Sword suffered because of this mindset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

now THIS is a totally wrong statement

every action/adventure game ever made owes part of its creation to Zelda.
action/adventure is such a vague genre that you can't define what game it originates from.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
action/adventure is such a vague genre that you can't define what game it originates from.
- The Legend of Zelda for NES
- Link to the Past for SNES
- Ocarina of Time for N64
- BotW

MooMew64

its really not though. Skyward Sword was created within the worst era of Nintendo history. Every game in the Wii era was created with "accessibility for the casual market" in mind. Every aspect of Skyward Sword suffered because of this mindset.
Accessibility does not equal bad. Heck, I'd even argue the Wii era itself gets too much flak: It was home to legendary games such as Mario Galaxy 1&2, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wario Land Shake It, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and more.

The story and characters especially are incredible in SS. It has the best Link and Zelda relationship the series has ever had.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Accessibility does not equal bad.

The story and characters especially are incredible in SS. It has the best Link and Zelda relationship the series has ever had.
- re: Accessibility being bad, its a case by case basis. Wii Sports? dope game. new super mario bros? subpar game. skyward sword? subpar game.
The wiii's best games: Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3, were developed during the Gamecube days.

- SS does have a solid story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom