• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Isn't "leakbait" an arbitruary idea that was coined by "leakers" who ended up entirely out of the loop?

Like seriously, what? Can anyone point me to an instance where a company definitively let information run through the grape vine as leakbait?

Ooh boy, I hope half a toaster makes it in as a fighter!
Verge's list of 7 SE characters.

Leak bait exists, but it hardly ever comes out publicly.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Also, this isn't even considering how the mech figure Sakurai bought was purchased in 2016 and the Fighters Pass was only a thing in 2018. And that Sakurai clearly stated he was using that figure for his current project being base game Ultimate. This guy didn't even bother to think about his fake leak carefully.

Not to mention how his posts on his Twiiter timeline come across as your run of the mill troll.
About that mech figure...
I'm wondering if Sakurai used it for Inkling.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
For those who don’t know, Nintendo has just posted on their website that maintenance of online play is planned on January 8th, next week on Wednesday.
29D1D239-8CC7-4A4F-9599-C839B35BA39A.jpeg

Given how the recent Directs were live-streamed on Wednesdays and the fact that most of the DLC have been released on Wednesday as well, I believe this signifies that we are VERY close to news on #5 and possibly even post-pass DLC.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Remember when people thought Beck from Mighty Number 9 should join the roster?

Good times. Ignorance truly was bliss.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman

I even remember when people thought the game would turn out good because Keiji Inafune can do no wrong. Ah, Mega Man. Thankfully we got Mega Man 11 and it turned out better than expected.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This just gave me flashbacks to the Ridley drama of Smash 4, and how it took such a ridiculously long time for Sakurai to fully reveal that Ridley was a stage hazard. Those were dark times...
They did it for Ridley, they did it for a bunch of characters in the last Smash Bros Ultimate Direct, they're going to do it again. Sakurai doesn't realize this actually upset people.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not sure why people are using Waluigi's origin as Wario's tennis partner as a jab against the character. Technically other Mario characters were also made to fill a vacant spot. Mario was created because Miyamoto couldn't get the license to Popeyes and he wanted a quick replacement. Luigi was made to fill a Player 2 slot. Wario was made because the development team didn't like making a Mario game and wanted to make a villain that mocks Mario.

The reasoning for the creation of these characters is silly, but they are beloved to many people and have become prominent after their debut despite the silly reasoning for their creation. Characters evolve after their creation, and Waluigi has become more than just Wario's tennis partner throughout the years. He's a **** Dastardly type character that loves to be mischievous and cheat. If you don't get the appeal for this type of character then that's fine, but know that People love Waluigi for his character even though he hasn't starred in his own game yet, and that is impressive.

Also I don't get how memes invalidate the legitimate love people have for Waluigi. Luigi has also been meme'd to hell by his fans, is the love from his fans illegitimate as well?
It's really just an additional dig at him because I personally find him to be a really damn boring and uninspired character at this point. Like he's got some degree of a personality, but I just actively don't enjoy it and find it to be a shallow one that goes nowhere. I also don't think I've ever seen a moveset for him of any type that has interested me in the slightest.

Also, the memes specifically about him getting into Smash and people somewhat ironically supporting him just because of said memes. Waluigi has his own little Smash culture that people who literally don't give a **** about Smash want to see him because "WAH." I'm not kidding, I've had conversations with people that has basically amounted to it. Do they like Waluigi as a character? No. Do they care about Smash? Not really. But they think Waluigi deserves to be in Smash because the funny meme told them he should be in it.

That shouldn't impact actually Waluigi fans or his inclusion, but that sort of internet culture is damn annoying and adds to me just actively despising the day he joins the roster. Again, my personal opinion and I'm not saying he should be kept out, but it all adds up to me seeing him as one of the more disappointing character choice that Sakurai could add. Like, he'd probably play fine, but again, I personally wouldn't really care for his inclusion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For those who don’t know, Nintendo has just posted on their website that maintenance of online play is planned on January 8th, next week on Wednesday.
View attachment 255742
Given how the recent Directs were live-streamed on Wednesdays and the fact that most of the DLC have been released on Wednesday as well, I believe this signifies that we are VERY close to news on #5 and possibly even post-pass DLC.
IDK about others here but i'm really feeling a Wednesday reveal/release for Fighter 5.

And maybe even a Smash Direct announcement for February as well? I mean to reveal Fighter's 6 & 7 unless Fighter 6 is teased in whatever next Direct happens.

Krankees

Smash Ace
A question we should ask is would they only announce fighter #5 or would they also go more in-depth about post pass dlc?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Clearly this was before the pizza explosions and crying anime fans on prom night. It is an interesting thing though, since indie characters are often dismissed for being too new while Beck was probably requested looooong before the game came out.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 255742
Oh dear...can't wait....

BZocky

Smash Ace
Hey so, KOS-MOS thread found this account:
https://twitter.com/Brandonkirkall2

they made their account in April 2018 but just started posting at the start of the year. at the same time though, their posts are oddly specific, even including a believable codename for the character (Abel)

thoughts?
I’m thinking Sabi and Vergeben have some competition. This guy seems to have as much concrete information as they do on the next fighter reveal.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Is there anything that completely, 100% rules out Echo Fighter DLC for post-pass? I know Sakurai's comments when the FP was announced, but I always took that to mean that nobody in the FP was going to be an echo, and the Fighters Pass was meant to be all the DLC we were going to get until they started negotiating for more around when Joker was released, as the speculation goes.

So is there anything since that's holding back Gooigi, Dixie, Octolings, Ms. Pac-Man, etc. from being released as echoes in-between whatever full-pack DLC we'll be getting post-pass?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A question we should ask is would they only announce fighter #5 or would they also go more in-depth about post pass dlc?
I can completely see them showing off FP5 and giving a release date around the end of Jan/beginning of Feb, and possibly showing off their ideas for post-pass DLC. If they have extra echoes or stages planned, we may get to see that and they'll release with FP5. If it's a season 2, they'll announce it and make the pass available for sale and they may even give a Joker-style teaser for the first character, but we're not getting the character until end of April-ish timeframe.

But I think we'll get a bit more Smash info than just FP5.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If they reveal fighter 5 in the direct, than it's near zero. If they announce a Smash Direct (like they did after announcing :4cloud:), they will.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Is there anything that completely, 100% rules out Echo Fighter DLC for post-pass? I know Sakurai's comments when the FP was announced, but I always took that to mean that nobody in the FP was going to be an echo, and the Fighters Pass was meant to be all the DLC we were going to get until they started negotiating for more around when Joker was released, as the speculation goes.

So is there anything since that's holding back Gooigi, Dixie, Octolings, Ms. Pac-Man, etc. from being released as echoes in-between whatever full-pack DLC we'll be getting post-pass?
lol this posted right as mine did.

As far as I know, no. I'm sure there are several fanrules about it, but it would still be an easy way to add extra characters quickly (and without going through a lot of the balancing stuff which they say is what makes the characters take ages to release).

Me personally? I'd love to see some echoes release. Bring them on.
And Tails would make a great Sonic echo since it's pulling from Sonic 2. Just change the anim for his uThrow and make him float for his taunts and victories. Done.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If they reveal fighter 5 in the direct, than it's near zero.
They could still dedicate the last 15 minutes or so to Smash and post-Pass details. Remember the E3 2018 Direct that was technically a general Direct... with 25 minutes or so of Smash at the end? There's also the September Direct last year where the last 10 minutes or so was dedicated to Animal Crossing: New Horizons, meaning Nintendo likely wouldn't have a problem dedicating the last chunk of a general Direct to Smash.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I really just wished that the no-show at VGAs last year pushed a reset button on Sabi and Verge’s claims because I’m super ****ing tired of speculation hell around Fighter 5 and their deconfirm list because that basically put literally every viable Smash candidate out of the running.

Is the fifth character just gonna someone THAT incredibly obscure even beyond nerd knowledge or are Verge and Sabi’s sources full of pure BS and it’s someone from the kill list?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
At this point, it feels like it's guaranteed that FP5 stuff will be this week considering Monday-Wednesday is full of maintenance.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Omochao is going to be the next DLC character - trust me, my grandpa work at a Nintendo website - and you WILL all love it!!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I really just wished that the no-show at VGAs last year pushed a reset button on Sabi and Verge’s claims because I’m super ****ing tired of speculation hell around Fighter 5 and their deconfirm list because that basically put literally every viable Smash candidate out of the running.
At the bold: Then stop considering only the biggest and most popular as the only viable candidates.

D

Deleted member

Is the fifth character just gonna someone THAT incredibly obscure even beyond nerd knowledge or are Verge and Sabi’s sources full of pure BS and it’s someone from the kill list?
You're not the only one, I get it. But does "every viable" mean every "popular" character out there?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Clearly this was before the pizza explosions and crying anime fans on prom night. It is an interesting thing though, since indie characters are often dismissed for being too new while Beck was probably requested looooong before the game came out.
Tbf getting delayed for 5 million years was a part of that. Godm MN9 was such a huge ****ing mess and nobody even understands why it went wrong. At least the "It's better than nothing" guy told Igarashi to make a kickstarter.

Oh right, Smash. Miriam Bloodstained would be cool cause she'd bring the best music in Smash

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

After Vergeben backtracked on his extended deconfirmations the list really isn't that long, and it could be even smaller depending on how much stock you put into Vergeben's claims these days. Like, there have been minor rumblings of Dovahkiin, and while those rumors aren't worth taking seriously atm, it's just an example of a big character that still qualifies even when you take the leakers' words into account.

It's also worth noting that every character in the Fighters Pass have been surprising in their own way. Joker for being from a new Sony exclusive, Hero because of Dragon Quest's convoluted rights, Banjo because he's from a dead western IP owned by a competitor, and Terry because he's fairly niche and was rarely ever discussed in the context of Smash. Reggie wasn't kidding when he said that the rest of the Pass would be in the same vein as Joker, and looking back at it now I think it's pretty clear that #5 was never going to be one of the speculation community's perceived frontrunners, because that hasn't been the case with the rest of the Pass either, at least not until they were leaked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom