• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't want to be fussy but I honestly don't get why Terry's usually the one who's called niche in a pass where we have Banjo and Joker. Perspectives I guess. Not that I consider Joker or Banjo niche characters, but I don't think there's much discussion in saying that Terry is the most recognizable character in the entire pass so far from a general perspective.

D

Deleted member

For those who don’t know, Nintendo has just posted on their website that maintenance of online play is planned on January 8th, next week on Wednesday.
View attachment 255742
Given how the recent Directs were live-streamed on Wednesdays and the fact that most of the DLC have been released on Wednesday as well, I believe this signifies that we are VERY close to news on #5 and possibly even post-pass DLC.
I assume that's obvious given the deadline was Feb 2020. Also gonna think FP 5's release wont be pushed several weeks earlier than February.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't want to be fussy but I honestly don't get why Terry's usually the one who's called niche in a pass where we have Banjo and Joker. Perspectives I guess. Not that I consider Joker or Banjo niche characters, but I don't think there's much discussion in saying that Terry is the most recognizable character in the entire pass so far from a general perspective.
I would agree but at the same time I know I'm older than a lot of people who play Smash. If you grew up in the 90s and early 2000s and were either into fighting games, Newgrounds, or MUGEN, you know who Terry is. However, there's a solid list of people who just missed out there and got into gaming during a time where SNK wasn't really a Thing, at least not outside of the Arcade Archives.

Banjo in that regard had one thing that Terry didn't, and it was vocal support in the Smash support fanbase specifically. Big threads lead to people doing their research (or to be honest jumping on the bandwagon) and it goes from there.

I would say that Joker and Terry are equal to different generations in terms of recognizability, though. Persona 5 is a modern marvel and Joker the character and the phantom thieves as a whole along with the Last Surprise and UI memes really boosted the game's stock in the general public's view. Kinda like how Terry's Day Out or MUGEN would have boosted Terry's casual recognizability.

Overall I do agree that none of these characters are necessarily more niche than the other, and in many many ways Banjo is absolutely the most obscure out of them all unless you grew up with Nintendo during a very specific time.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Alright, hear me out.
Is it just me who wants more costumes for characters we have?
One idea is to have characters have 'retro' alts. I see a lot of mods for Smash 4 that give Cloud his FFVII model - so stuff like this is clearly popular. Perhaps you could use models from Smash 64 to start with, as well as some extras (some ideas that spring to mind for me are Mario and Luigi having 3d models of their Super Mario Bros sprites, which would be awesome.) Obviously this wouldn't work for every character - specifically characters that are more recent, like Joker, Shulk, Olimar or Bayonetta, and characters who's sprites wouldn't really work for their hitboxes - like maybe Hero (although the Luminary is new, Dragon Quest XI does have a mode where you can play like a traditional RPG.) Only some characters would get it, and I suppose it would be like Little Mac having his wireframe alts - but if you didn't want them, then you don't have to buy them. They'd obviously be cheap - there's a lot here, but I suppose you would buy them in a pack or something, perhaps called the 'Costume Pack?'

So, here's a few ideas I had.
All of the veterans from 64 would get their 64 costumes.
Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser would get SMB sprites.
Dr Mario and Daisy would also get sprites in this style.
Mario and Luigi also get sprites from Super Mario World, as does Yoshi.
Link could possibly have sprites from Zelda II? I'm thinking of proportions here. He also gets a sprite from Ocarina of Time.
Samus gets her original alt from the first Metroid.
Zero Suit Samus gets the original 'Justin Bailey' alt, in pixel form.
Dark Samus would also have a pixel alt in the same style as Samus'.
Ridley would get a pixel alt from the original Metroid as well - I'm aware of the reference alt, but it would be a nice touch.
Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik and Young Link would all get sprites from Ocarina of Time.
Kirby gets a pixel sprite from the Gameboy, in the original colour, as does Dedede and Meta Knight.
Pit and Palutena get their sprites from Kid Icarus, on the NES.
Snake gets a Metal Gear Solid alt.
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and K.Rool all get 16 bit alts, in reference to Donkey Kong Country. Donkey Kong also gets an alt from the arcade game.
Sonic gets a 16 bit alt too.
Mega Man gets his 8 bit alt, but also a Mega Man X 16 bit alt.
Pacman gets a pixel alt from Pac-Land (I think it's called that?)
Duck Hunt Duo get an alt from the original game.
Ryu and Ken get their Street Fighter II 16 bit alts.
Simon gets his Castlevania I alt, as well as one from Super Castlevania IV.
Richter gets his Rondo of Blood alt.
Banjo and Kazooie get an alt from their N64 games.
Terry gets an alt from Fatal Fury, King of Fighter (his first game.)

Now, I know I probably forgot some but these were what I could think up off the top of my head.

Another idea is that characters would have say three or four selectable sections - I'll use Captain Falcon as an example. You could select the jumpsuit he's wearing, his helmet, his scarf, and his gloves and boots (as one entity) and each would have a colour wheel allowing people to make custom alts. I imagine people would get really creative with these - and it would, reduce the need for people to hack to get their favourite alts from previous games or fan favourites (Yes, Fire Mario, someone's gonna say it.) This would possibly also mean that some proposed echo fighters wouldn't be absolutely necessary - such as Zack Fair over Cloud, for example. Perhaps these alts could even be shared over Switch Online, akin to how Mii Fighters are shared? This would likely be a rather popular addition, but I personally think it should be in an update rather than as DLC.

It's not a leak or anything, just a suggestion - but what do y'all think?

D

Deleted member

Alright, hear me out.
Is it just me who wants more costumes for characters we have?
One idea is to have characters have 'retro' alts. I see a lot of mods for Smash 4 that give Cloud his FFVII model - so stuff like this is clearly popular. Perhaps you could use models from Smash 64 to start with, as well as some extras (some ideas that spring to mind for me are Mario and Luigi having 3d models of their Super Mario Bros sprites, which would be awesome.) Obviously this wouldn't work for every character - specifically characters that are more recent, like Joker, Shulk, Olimar or Bayonetta, and characters who's sprites wouldn't really work for their hitboxes - like maybe Hero (although the Luminary is new, Dragon Quest XI does have a mode where you can play like a traditional RPG.) Only some characters would get it, and I suppose it would be like Little Mac having his wireframe alts - but if you didn't want them, then you don't have to buy them. They'd obviously be cheap - there's a lot here, but I suppose you would buy them in a pack or something, perhaps called the 'Costume Pack?'

So, here's a few ideas I had.
All of the veterans from 64 would get their 64 costumes.
Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser would get SMB sprites.
Dr Mario and Daisy would also get sprites in this style.
Mario and Luigi also get sprites from Super Mario World, as does Yoshi.
Link could possibly have sprites from Zelda II? I'm thinking of proportions here. He also gets a sprite from Ocarina of Time.
Samus gets her original alt from the first Metroid.
Zero Suit Samus gets the original 'Justin Bailey' alt, in pixel form.
Dark Samus would also have a pixel alt in the same style as Samus'.
Ridley would get a pixel alt from the original Metroid as well - I'm aware of the reference alt, but it would be a nice touch.
Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik and Young Link would all get sprites from Ocarina of Time.
Kirby gets a pixel sprite from the Gameboy, in the original colour, as does Dedede and Meta Knight.
Pit and Palutena get their sprites from Kid Icarus, on the NES.
Snake gets a Metal Gear Solid alt.
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and K.Rool all get 16 bit alts, in reference to Donkey Kong Country. Donkey Kong also gets an alt from the arcade game.
Sonic gets a 16 bit alt too.
Mega Man gets his 8 bit alt, but also a Mega Man X 16 bit alt.
Pacman gets a pixel alt from Pac-Land (I think it's called that?)
Duck Hunt Duo get an alt from the original game.
Ryu and Ken get their Street Fighter II 16 bit alts.
Simon gets his Castlevania I alt, as well as one from Super Castlevania IV.
Richter gets his Rondo of Blood alt.
Banjo and Kazooie get an alt from their N64 games.
Terry gets an alt from Fatal Fury, King of Fighter (his first game.)

Now, I know I probably forgot some but these were what I could think up off the top of my head.

Another idea is that characters would have say three or four selectable sections - I'll use Captain Falcon as an example. You could select the jumpsuit he's wearing, his helmet, his scarf, and his gloves and boots (as one entity) and each would have a colour wheel allowing people to make custom alts. I imagine people would get really creative with these - and it would, reduce the need for people to hack to get their favourite alts from previous games or fan favourites (Yes, Fire Mario, someone's gonna say it.) This would possibly also mean that some proposed echo fighters wouldn't be absolutely necessary - such as Zack Fair over Cloud, for example. Perhaps these alts could even be shared over Switch Online, akin to how Mii Fighters are shared? This would likely be a rather popular addition, but I personally think it should be in an update rather than as DLC.

It's not a leak or anything, just a suggestion - but what do y'all think?
I like the idea of nostalgia costumes. Don't think NES and SNES sprites would work due to limited animations, which is kind of vital for a 3d fighting game series.

N64 alts though? ****ing yes. Hell, just give me alternate costumes in general. Twilight Princess Ganon, Fusion Suit Samus, Garou Terry, Sofia from DQ 4, etc.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I mean, it depends on a lot of things, but in the context of the Smash fanbase it's pretty clear that Banjo is much more recognizable thanks to his Nintendo origins. Even Sakurai addressed that Terry might not be recognizable to a lot of people, and the whole presentation was pretty much set up as an introduction to SNK games for those unfamiliar with the company, so there's at least an acknowledgement that to the general Smash audience they knew Terry was relatively unknown.

Other than that it depends a lot on your region and age, my perspective is probably pretty skewed since traditional fighters are very niche here in Denmark, and even within that genre there are a lot of franchises that are more well known than KoF (SF, Tekken, MvC and MK for sure). Don't take this as me trying to put it down mind you, I'm currently going through a bunch of Fatal Fury and KoF games, so I wish things were different for me as I really enjoy fighting games, but I'm just speaking from my own experience both in real life and within the online Smash/Nintendo community.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You could select the jumpsuit he's wearing, his helmet, his scarf, and his gloves and boots (as one entity)
Oh god no, please don't give me anything resembling Injustice 2/MK11 customization. That stuff is obnoxious.

color wheel would be neat though even if its super unlikely

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I'm moreso thinking that because, 1, it means that nothing inappropriate would be likely to be made, keeping Nintendo happy, and 2, because it means that the same models are being used, but with customisation - so easier for the developers than adding echoes, and better for the consumers because of them being able to customise characters to their preference.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here you guys go. Someone is talking about Tracer being Fighter 5.

D

Deleted member

I'm moreso thinking that because, 1, it means that nothing inappropriate would be likely to be made, keeping Nintendo happy, and 2, because it means that the same models are being used, but with customisation - so easier for the developers than adding echoes, and better for the consumers because of them being able to customise characters to their preference.
Don't get me wrong, I like the freedom those systems give you and the ability for the IP holder to approve/disapprove gear pieces is a strong incentive for them, it's just that it most cases, the unlocking system is extremely inconvenient. If you want a specific look it can take forever to unlock it. We had that with the unlocking system for custom moves in Smash 4 but hey, if it wasn't a complete drag to unlock everything, I'd be on board. I just have yet to see a good example of it. I'm sure it exists somewhere.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
IDK I guess.

As someone who grew up with Fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, the whole SNK brand along with King of Fighters were a big unknown to me even growing up in the 2000's. I never really heard about the series at all until it's resurgance last decade and the funny memes people posted on SB lol. Even then, I still had no idea who the characters were.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I like the freedom those systems give you and the ability for the IP holder to approve/disapprove gear pieces is a strong incentive for them, it's just that it most cases, the unlocking system is extremely inconvenient. If you want a specific look it can take forever to unlock it. We had that with the unlocking system for custom moves in Smash 4 but hey, if it wasn't a complete drag to unlock everything, I'd be on board. I just have yet to see a good example of it. I'm sure it exists somewhere.
What I was going for was more of a colour wheel, whereby you can select a few sections of a character model to edit (I used the example of Captain Falcon, and editing his helmet, jumpsuit, scarf and boots/gloves.) I will admit, its a shame that unlocking stuff is such a drag for Smash. However, I was thinking of the retro alts being paid DLC, in a sort of pack, and the colour wheel being an update. Hope that sheds some light :3

im gonna admit, I personally think tracer would be a pretty good pick. shes not massively high on my list, but I think she'd work well.

D

Deleted member

Hero's the most niche character in the pass.

:4pacman:

What I was going for was more of a colour wheel, whereby you can select a few sections of a character model to edit (I used the example of Captain Falcon, and editing his helmet, jumpsuit, scarf and boots/gloves.) I will admit, its a shame that unlocking stuff is such a drag for Smash. However, I was thinking of the retro alts being paid DLC, in a sort of pack, and the colour wheel being an update. Hope that sheds some light :3
Gotcha, that makes more sense. The only problem is you'd probably have to deal with limitations like Pac-Man would only be able to change the color of his shoes or something, but it would still be nice to have custom colors.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Gotcha, that makes more sense. The only problem is you'd probably have to deal with limitations like Pac-Man would only be able to change the color of his shoes or something, but it would still be nice to have custom colors.
It would be nice to change the colour of his... skin? Body? What even is it? I suppose it's possible...
Also, in conjunction with other stuff, I'm sure people would get really creative with their alts. It would be pretty interesting to see :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Yeah, I don’t buy it. She was deconfirmed for FP5 by I think one of Verge or Sabi’s sources, plus Blizzard doesn’t exactly have the best reputation right now. Plus, didn’t the OW Switch port flop?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter X Tekken let you make custom colors. It was a pretty neat feature. However, I don't think you were able to change Pac-Man's or Mega Man's colors.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don’t buy it. She was deconfirmed for FP5 by I think one of Verge or Sabi’s sources, plus Blizzard doesn’t exactly have the best reputation right now. Plus, didn’t the OW Switch port flop?
Also I think the Overwatch director said something that made it sounded like all the Overwatch cast was deconfirmed a while back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Street Fighter X Tekken let you make custom colors. It was a pretty neat feature. However, I don't think you were able to change Pac-Man's or Mega Man's colors.
What, we can't change the colors of Bad Box Art Mega Man? What the heck?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

Irregardless to its veracity, I just love the idea of how much of a ****storm this would be. Game Awards audience chanting FREE HONG KONG, Tracers online with #FREEHK tags, endless articles and posts about whether or not Nintendo is willing to take a stand for human rights against the Chinese government.

I spent a lot of time, years upon years, with Warcraft, Starcraft and Overwatch. I deleted my Blizzard account in full after the incident. I am not sure how I'd feel about Tracer as FP5, but I know it would dominate gaming news and talk for three months, pretty solidly.

I just picture Bill Trinen sitting in an office room in Washington last October, reading social media and sweating.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Anyone think post pass might add more than just characters?

Like I know they said they were done adding modes before, but they also said there’d only be one fighter pass originally.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Irregardless to its veracity, I just love the idea of how much of a ****storm this would be. Game Awards audience chanting FREE HONG KONG, Tracers online with #FREEHK tags, endless articles and posts about whether or not Nintendo is willing to take a stand for human rights against the Chinese government.

I spent a lot of time, years upon years, with Warcraft, Starcraft and Overwatch. I deleted my Blizzard account in full after the incident. I am not sure how I'd feel about Tracer as FP5, but I know it would dominate gaming news and talk for three months, pretty solidly.

I just picture Bill Trinen sitting in an office room in Washington last October, reading social media and sweating.
Didn’t another person also say it wasn’t Tracer or Crash?
Also:
>Diversity

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like the idea of nostalgia costumes. Don't think NES and SNES sprites would work due to limited animations, which is kind of vital for a 3d fighting game series.

N64 alts though? ****ing yes. Hell, just give me alternate costumes in general. Twilight Princess Ganon, Fusion Suit Samus, Garou Terry, Sofia from DQ 4, etc.
One of my favourite mods in Smash 4 was a mod of Cloud with his ps1 model, that **** was cute for real. I'd pay money for that alone

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Man, I wish I had time like that to waste.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
User was warned for this post

Color Theory as an argument
Diversity as an argument
Mii Costume Leak as an argument
"If DLC 5 was planned to be the last character in Ultimate, they would have picked a character that is big enough to be a finisher."
"Nintendo pushed the Tracer reveal back hoping that the controversy would blow over/die down by the time the Q1 Nintendo Direct aired."

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Tracer supporter and I don't think she's FP5, but i'd like to point out that the bold wouldn't have been in Nintendo's mind in 2018 when they chose the characters for the Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I'm not a Tracer supporter and I don't think she's F5P, but i'd like to point out that the bold wouldn't have been in Nintendo's mind in 2018 when they chose the characters for the Fighters Pass.
Good point. If Rex couldn't make it in due to the timing of the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and Sakurai did seem to want him in - hence the mii costume) then the timing has a similar effect for the popularity of Overwatch when the 'list' of possible picks was made. However, I suppose that Nintendo would have thought of 'backup' characters if they wanted to maintain their fairly neutral, family friendly stance as a company. It really could swing either way.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Good point. If Rex couldn't make it in due to the timing of the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and Sakurai did seem to want him in - hence the mii costume) then the timing has a similar effect for the popularity of Overwatch when the 'list' of possible picks was made. However, I suppose that Nintendo would have thought of 'backup' characters if they wanted to maintain their fairly neutral, family friendly stance as a company. It really could swing either way.
Yeah. I don't think that Nintendo would want to make a political statement, especially about the Hong Kong protests, because it would hurt their brand image and decrease the sales of their games.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Anything that contradicts what Vergeben has to say traditionally hasn't gone over well, I still believe that it's probably somebody who fits his description. If he ends up taking an L, then that's great, because now what he says is no longer set in stone. But for now what he says might as well be an official announcement: every character right, only characters missing were K. Rool and Joker. Nothing significant of an incorrect statement.

Granted, this also applied to Gematsu after calling both Wii Fit Trainer and a Generation 6 Pokémon, but even discounting the debate on whether Gematsu really did have real information or simply had incredible luck, Gematsu also went down a lot sooner, not even reaching the DLC speculation period. Vergeben has only gotten one and a half things wrong [Squeenix first DLC character, Minecraft content], one of them was probably a guess (and, people have already theorized that Joker was moved up from Hero last-minute), and the other can still technically come true but even he's given up on it, after both the end of base game and Banjo's release proved fruitless (as well as people speculating it was a mistake from somebody seeing strings and making misinterpretations).

I think everything else about that post is valid, even the LGBT+ part (since, financially, it attracts a new audience), but the part where it has to fight Vergeben is the part where it dies. And I say this as somebody with everything to gain from Vergeben being wrong, and everything to lose with him being right.

It's no coincidence that he's the reason I don't give a **** about FP5 anymore.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm not completely sure - there doesn't seem to be any real numbers on how the Switch port did. [Edit: It's listed as an hit? Interesting.]

I've seen Nintendo advertising Overwatch at the New Years Sale here in the EU eShop:

Doesn't look it it's discounted in JP, but it's included in the Blizzard Winter Sale. (Overwatch's not huge in JP anyway.) Not too sure if Blizzard and Nintendo's quitely going back to semi-normal or not. Looks like it though.

I just picture Bill Trinen sitting in an office room in Washington, reading social media and sweating.
Hoo boy. It was only a matter of time then until I had to talk, as this thread's resident China watcher.

I'll keep my opinions on the Blitzchung stuff brief for multiple reasons: I'm one of the Blizzard fans who flinched at the Blitzchung incident (it comes of as political capitulation, even if the Chinese government would've likely been on Blizzard's asses if Blitzchung waltzed off instead) and although I didn't delete my account it still stung to see Blizzard do that. Likewise, we might not wanna dredge up Chinese / Hong Kong (or any other) political matters too much in this thread: although I'll say that the Hong Kong government and its Chinese government overseers went way too far with the Extradition Bill, and then the anti-mask law.

While it's true that any A-B character (especially Blizzard) will be marred by that kind of controversy (there's that 5 % share Tencent has in A-B lurking again): a prominent A-B character like Crash or Tracer is still potentially lucrative. Whether an A-B character makes it in or not, I doubt Nintendo will want to shut off A-B entirely.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
What, we can't change the colors of Bad Box Art Mega Man? What the heck?
BBA Mega Man cracks me up. Not because he looks ridiculous, but because he was broken. There was a glitch that allowed Mega Man to moon jump, which made him impossible to reach. So a valid strategy was to get the health lead and moon jump out of the map. Smash has similar corny strategies, but not on this level.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Hong-Kong, Blizzard stuff would have no effect on Tracer in Smash, nor would sales of Overwatch on Switch. The characters were chosen long before that.

In addition, I personally don’t think it’s something that would overall totally effect character selection.

Tracer would be a really great pick in terms of gameplay, and she’s essentially a modern icon among the likes of Joker, 2B, Geralt, and others. I don’t think she’s 100% happening or anything, but I think she’d be super cool.

PS: Not agreeing with that Tweet, as basing on theories is EXTREMELY circumstantial, especially stuff like color theory. Yikes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While it's true that any A-B character (especially Blizzard) will be marred by that kind of controversy (there's that 5 % share Tencent has in A-B lurking again): a prominent A-B character like Crash or Tracer is still potentially lucrative. Whether an A-B character makes it in or not, I doubt Nintendo will want to shut off A-B entirely.
Terry proves that they don't really care about ownership sense SNK is currently owned by a Chinese company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom