• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Literally half the Assist Trophies in the game are more worth putting effort into developing a playable character than :ultpiranha:. Any argument that "this character didn't get in because they didn't have time and he/she/it wasn't important enough and they can't put every character in" died with the Plant.

If they had time to develop a Plant, they damn well had time to develop any one of Waluigi, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Shadow, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Dixie Kong, Impa, Toad/Toadette, Lyn, Skull Kid, Midna, Ashley, Bomberman, Octolings, Tails, Chun-Li, Elma, Chibi-Robo, Captain Syrup, Rayman, Medusa, Viridi, Takamaru, Geno, Shantae, a Rhythm Heaven rep, an Advance Wars rep, etc. Every single one of those characters would have been a better investment in that they all had at least some part of the fanbase asking for them.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm surprised people still use "not significant" as an argument against Waluigi when :ultpiranha: exists and their entire purpose in Mario games is to be jumped over. PP was never playable in any game before Smash. Joke character or not, it shows you don't need to be a significant character to be in Smash.
See, in a weird kind of way, I do think PP is more significant than Waluigi. It may just be a mook, but it's one that's appeared in basically every Mario platformer (something that Waluigi has yet to do).

To be honest, I think a Goomba is more important than Waluigi. That's...kinda how far down the totem pole he really is.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
See, in a weird kind of way, I do think PP is more significant than Waluigi. It may just be a mook, but it's one that's appeared in basically every Mario platformer (something that Waluigi has yet to do).

To be honest, I think a Goomba is more important than Waluigi. That's...kinda how far down the totem pole he really is.
Neither a Goomba or a PP has appeared in nearly as many playable Mario spinoff rosters as Waluigi. Coins and brick blocks appear in numerous games as well, just because something appears a lot doesn't actually mean its memorable. And as was said before, games like Mario Party and Mario Kart are as pretty much as iconic or even more iconic than the main platformers at this point. Goomba and Plant barely ever appear in those game's rosters as playable compared to Waluigi.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Sorry if this is not relevant to the thread, but I just a video that hit me at a emotional level.

I felt that the Sonic I knew and loved died in Sonic Colors.
Heck, I played Sonic Mania this year and I kept forgetting I did so.
"Sonic and the Black Knight" was the last game I think Sonic felt like himself.
My question to everyone here is what was the last Sonic game you played that actually FELT like a "Sonic game?"

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

On what basis are you deciding significance exactly? Only appearances in platformers?

Mario stopped being only about platformers a very long time ago dude. It's now a franchise with multiple diverse genres that range from racing to party games. Waluigi appeared in over 60 games, with most of them in a playable role. If Waluigi is as insignificant as you claim he is then why is he listed among important Mario characters in Nintendo's official website while PP isn't?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sorry if this is not relevant to the thread, but I just a video that hit me at a emotional level.

My question to everyone here is what was the last Sonic game you played that actually FELT like a "Sonic game?"
Sonic Mania was two years ago dude

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Spirit promotions are really limited to Dixie, Bandana Dee, Shantae, Rayman and Geno.
That's 5
So theroiclally that's a perfect match if Sakurai were going to do it

VS. the ATs there like... 4 the community really wants to be upgraded?

Walugi, Issac, Shadow(?), Shovel Knight

But I 100% agree with the internal logic

lol this video is literal just crying about “I’m gen Z kid who grew up with the mediocre Adventure games, and I hate how modren games acknowledge how mediocre they where, while still being ****“

”and i hate how the 1 thing that people want form it, is the classic platforms and I hate how popular Sonic Mania is :(((“

”**** the animations that the hard working Sonic fan did, because of something unrelated >:(((“

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Assist trophies are in no way disrespectful. It's the ultimate respect to give them such a highlight, considering people like Alucard, Knuckles, and Zero have characteristics that make them near full-blown actual characters.

If you think it's disrespectful, I think you're just salty about it being a deconfirm. For now, at least.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Of course

this video is absolutely ****. Defending games like sonic heroes and black knight because “they tried something different” and then calling mania a bad game cause it’s taking the easy route is so stupid.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
On what basis are you deciding significance exactly? Only appearances in platformers?

Mario stopped being only about platformers a very long time ago dude. It's now a franchise with multiple diverse genres that range from racing to party games. Waluigi appeared in over 60 games, with most of them in a playable role. If Waluigi is as insignificant as you claim he is then why is he listed among important Mario characters in Nintendo's official website while PP isn't?
Neither a Goomba or a PP has appeared in nearly as many playable Mario spinoff rosters as Waluigi. Coins and brick blocks appear in numerous games as well, just because something appears a lot doesn't actually mean its memorable. And as was said before, games like Mario Party and Mario Kart are as pretty much as iconic or even more iconic than the main platformers at this point. Goomba and Plant barely ever appear in those game's rosters as playable compared to Waluigi.
Literally half the Assist Trophies in the game are more worth putting effort into developing a playable character than :ultpiranha:. Any argument that "this character didn't get in because they didn't have time and he/she wasn't important enough and they can't put every character in" died with the Plant.

If they had time to develop a Plant, they damn well had time to develop any one of Waluigi, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Shadow, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Dixie Kong, Impa, Toad/Toadette, Lyn, Skull Kid, Midna, Ashley, Bomberman, Octolings, Tails, Chun-Li, Elma, Takamaru, Geno, Shantae, a Rhythm Heaven rep, etc. Every single one of those characters would have been a better investment in that they all had someone asking for them.
I'm surprised people still use "not significant" as an argument against Waluigi when :ultpiranha: exists and their entire purpose in Mario games is to be jumped over. PP was never playable in any game before Smash. Joke character or not, it shows you don't need to be a significant character to be in Smash.
While you two are still getting salty about a plant form almost 2 years ago

I actually asked my extended family 20 about this, as they decided to all came for the holidays

Literally, 18/20 of them know who PP was, my grandparents? My great grandparents, my cousins, my baby cousins, my parent, my brother, my step silbings, my aunts

The ones who know about Waluigi? Me, My dad, my brother and my step brother and sister....

I personally don’t care for this discussion, buut, just for food for thought

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
While you two are still getting salty about a plant form almost 2 years ago

I actually asked my extended family 20 about this, as they decided to all came for the holidays

Literally, 18/20 of them know who PP was, my grandparents? My great grandparents, my cousins, my baby cousins, my parent, my brother, my step silbings, my aunts

The ones who know about Waluigi? Me, My dad, my brother and my step brother and sister....

I personally don’t care for this discussion, buut, just for food for thought
Assuming your claim is actually true and not just pulled out of your ***, I don't think 20 people is a very large or valuable sample size that is capable of providing an accurate representation for any kind of opinion for an entire fanbase, assuming that most of them even give a sh** about video games to begin with. Pretty sure I could easily find 20 people who don't know what a Piranha Plant is but do know Waluigi, considering Mario Kart Wii is literally the 2nd best selling Mario game of all time only behind the original Super Mario Bros and there are plenty of people who only have ever played the Kart or Party games but not the platformers. Even among the people who did play the platformers, a casual fan playing Mario Kart or Mario Party is far more likely to remember Waluigi as an actual playable character on the roster than someone playing Super Mario Bros is to remember a generic obstacle that they barely interact with.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
i think there's a key difference between "knows what a character is" and "cares about them" that should be taken into account

less people know about most of the assist trophies but i assure you they all have more people who would care about them getting into smash bros than the people who cared about pirahna plant getting in.

in that respect plant is nothing but a huge flex from sakurai on people who follow smash more than he would like them to, much like tripping was flexing on people who took advantage of the options he provided in game to play the game in a way they enjoyed that he would really rather they not use

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's 5
So theroiclally that's a perfect match if Sakurai were going to do it

VS. the ATs there like... 4 the community really wants to be upgraded?

Walugi, Issac, Shadow(?), Shovel Knight

But I 100% agree with the internal logic
There's plenty of possible AT promotions even if you limit it to just 1st party.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Assuming your claim is actually true and not just pulled out of your ***, I don't think 20 people is a very large or valuable sample size that is capable of providing an accurate representation for any kind of opinion for an entire fanbase, assuming that most of them even give a sh** about video games to begin with.
That's the point I believe was trying to be made. Even if the sample size is tiny, PP is unquestionable more recognizable to the masses as a whole than Waluigi. Waluigi is wanted by more die hard fans who actually know who he is. Or those who want the meme pick. Not that I'd be upset of he got in, but just stating things how I see it. Go around a city block with a picture of Waluigi and PP and ask passers by to name them and most people would name PP easily but would struggle to even come up with a name close to Waluigi when looking at him.

Would Waluigi make a better fighter than Plant? Yeah, probably. It's generally about the things people know right away when it comes to marketing. Even casual babies and grandmas know PP. Waluigi to them is probably the creation of a shroom trip for a game dev XD

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Go around a city block with a picture of Waluigi and PP and ask passers by to name them and most people would name PP easily but would struggle to even come up with a name close to Waluigi when looking at him.
Care to actually prove that claim? Because I'm pretty sure most people who only have a casual interest in video games don't care about generic enemies nearly as much as you insist they do. If it was Geno, I could probably understand more people recognizing the Plant, but like I said numerous times before, Mario Kart and Mario Party have become almost as iconic, if not more iconic than the main platformers at this point. I feel like you and Starbot are severely overestimating the amount of people outside of the dedicated fanbases who actually pay attention to every single generic mook in the games they play.

When Toad was trending in the news people referred to him as that "mushroom character from Mario Kart", not only did they prioritize using Mario Kart over the main Mario platformers but they couldn't name Toad himself. Half the people at my grandparents elderly care home and many of my older teachers from when I was in grade school didn't even know who Mario was, people are putting way too much faith in how famous the Plant actually is.

Mario Kart Wii is literally the 2nd best selling Mario game of all time only behind the original Super Mario Bros and there are plenty of people who only have ever played the Kart or Party games but not the platformers. Even among the people who did play the platformers, a casual fan playing Mario Kart or Mario Party is far more likely to remember Waluigi as an actual playable character on the roster than someone playing Super Mario Bros is to remember a generic obstacle that they barely interact with.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I can
View attachment 254499

Actually, I have an idea. Name any spirits you want to see promoted, the rules are 1 per franchise with playable characters and only 5 from franchises without characters
:ultmario:-Toad
:ultdk:-Dixie Kong
:ultlink:-Tetra
:ultsamus:-Gandrayda
:ultyoshi:-Yarn Yoshi (echo)
:ultkirby:-Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox:-Krystal
:ultpikachu:-Heracross
:ultness:-Masked Man
:ultfalcon:-Samurai Goroh
:ulticeclimbers:-Polar Bear
:ultmarth:-Sigurd (Give Best Fire Emblem the love it deserves, Sakurai)
:ultgnw:-Octopus
:ultpit:-Medusa (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
:ultwario:-Captain Syrup
:ultsnake:-Big Boss (echo)
:ultsonic:-Tails
:ultolimar:-Louie
:ultrob:-Uhhh... Stack-Up?
:ultvillager:-Tom Nook
:ultmegaman:-Mega Man X
:ultwiifittrainer:-Put in Pet, you cowards
:ultlittlemac:-King Hippo
:ultpacman:-Ghosts
:ultshulk:-Elma
:ultduckhunt:-Gangster, Lady, and Policeman
:ultryu:-Chun-Li
:ultcloud:-*Cries in contractually mandated Japanese*
:ultbayonetta:-Rodin
:ultinkling:-Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy
:ultsimon:-Alucard
:ultjoker:-Ann Takamaki
:ulthero:-Slime
:ultbanjokazooie:-Gruntilda
:ult_terry:-Andy Bogard

For miscellaneous spirits, I'd add Takamaru, Ray-Man, Nakoruru (who is actually labeled in game as a Samurai Showdown spirit, thusly making her separate from Terry and Fatal Fury), Leon, and Ayumi Tachibana.

Vanilla, I know, but these are who I think would make the most sense.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"Well you see, I asked my family who Shadow the Hedgehog is and nobody did yet when I asked them if they knew what the Moon is everyone did, therefore the Moon is the more important and iconic character and should be the upgraded AT"

***** your family wouldn't be able to tell Samus from a Metroid, we all know that "asking your family" is one of the worst standards for iconic gaming characters.

Mayje

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6077-9883-6692
Based off a recent spirit board event, I'm going to put my money on a Resident Evil character getting the next DLC spot. Specifically I think it will be Jill Valentine because I think they're going to want to strike some sort of gender balance here. I know Piranha Plant is a female (technically) and Kazooie is also (technically) a female, but I feel strongly that the next character, whoever they are, will be a female character from some franchise. I just think it will be Jill because the timing would be pretty perfect considering that RE3 is getting a remake soon.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Assist trophies are in no way disrespectful. It's the ultimate respect to give them such a highlight, considering people like Alucard, Knuckles, and Zero have characteristics that make them near full-blown actual characters.

If you think it's disrespectful, I think you're just salty about it being a deconfirm. For now, at least.
They're just items to be used. No choice given, no option to fight along side your favorite character, just randomly summon and prey you didn't a character like Skull Kid and Nightmare who actively hinder you during battle. Then when your Assist Trophy gets badly damage you have the option to kill them so your opponent doesn't score a point. Massive amounts of respect.

Assist Trophies are insignificant. If you get rid of one, five, ten, or even thirty nothing about the game changes. Get rid of a playable character is significant, nothing is loss when an Assist Trophy is gone. Hell, if Assist Trophies are so great and so important why are many missing from Brawl and Smash 4?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Literally half the Assist Trophies in the game are more worth putting effort into developing a playable character than :ultpiranha:. Any argument that "this character didn't get in because they didn't have time and he/she wasn't important enough and they can't put every character in" died with the Plant.

If they had time to develop a Plant, they damn well had time to develop any one of Waluigi, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Shadow, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Dixie Kong, Impa, Toad/Toadette, Lyn, Skull Kid, Midna, Ashley, Bomberman, Octolings, Tails, Chun-Li, Elma, Takamaru, Geno, Shantae, a Rhythm Heaven rep, etc. Every single one of those characters would have been a better investment in that they all had someone asking for them.
They didn't have time though and they weren't important enough. Piranha Plant got the priority because Sakurai wanted to do something different and fun with a unique concept that could appeal to some people (It does). People can complain, but at the end of the day, it doesn't change anything. At absolute best, you get one slot back. So, pick one from that list. Got them? Good, because the rest still aren't in and those fans still aren't happy. It didn't matter if it was Isaac, Geno, Waluigi, whoever. The end result does not change even if Sakurai included another more requested fighter because almost all the hatred thrown at Piranha Plant is just every fan base looking for a scape-goat and having one that's convenient because they aren't conventionally popular.

If it wasn't Plant, it would have been Incineroar, if it wasn't Incineroar, it would have been Isabelle, if it wasn't one of those three then you'd just have endless in fighting over which one of any number of more popular characters got in. Hell, some people do whine about all three of those options for "not being ballot picks" as is and come off as excessively ridiculous for it.

Not every character "has to be asked for" and people can find new things they love through characters. Guess what? I love Piranha Plant in Smash, and I'm not the only one. I'm not trading him for one of any more conventionally popular picks personally, and that's exactly the point. Sakurai made a character to appeal to different people. The opportunity cost of Plant is the same as an opportunity cost as any other character in the regard that some people like them, others don't. You can try and spin this as an utilitarian thing... but Smash has a pretty extensive history of ignoring the utilitarian character choice in favor of something more fun or indirectly important to Nintendo/Sakurai. I mean, for god's sake, we got Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch before Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, etc. and ROB beat how many characters to Smash and he's what, less than an enemy since he's just a toy that functioned poorly?

They're just items to be used. No choice given, no option to fight along side your favorite character, just randomly summon and prey you didn't a character like Skull Kid and Nightmare who actively hinder you during battle. Then when your Assist Trophy gets badly damage you have the option to kill them so your opponent doesn't score a point. Massive amounts of respect.

Assist Trophies are insignificant. If you get rid of one, five, ten, or even thirty nothing about the game changes. Get rid of a playable character is significant, nothing is loss when an Assist Trophy is gone. Hell, if Assist Trophies are so great and so important why are many missing from Brawl and Smash 4?
I'd miss Assist Trophies. They'd be a loss to me, and then you would actually lose a whole lot of the crossover stuff from Smash. You'd lose Shovel Knight, the biggest part of Golden Sun, Fatal Frame, Virtua Fighter, Bomberman, Dillion, ARMS, etc. You actually do lose a lot of value when you remove assist trophies (and since I know you're next step is to complain about Mii fighter costumes, we can't count any of that either, and I'm presuming Spirits go as well for all non-playable fighters). You're actively campaigning to cut down the crossover, to cut down the rich details of Smash through all of its worlds and aspects that people can recognize and enjoy, and cutting entire things out of Smash out of spite at this point. Cutting 59 Assist Trophies doesn't just casually get you Bomberman, Shadow, Isaac, or whoever the hell else. And based upon your comments it seems like you just want to reduce Smash down to a super boring character select screen focused affair with stages and little else.

Seriously, this is the video game equivalent of not liking broccoli and campaigning to have it eradicated because you don't personally like it and think the farm land can be used for better crops.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
They didn't have time though and they weren't important enough. Piranha Plant got the priority because Sakurai wanted to do something different and fun with a unique concept that could appeal to some people (It does).
He could have easily done something "different and fun with a unique concept" for all the characters I listed before. Bull**** at your "not important enough" garbage, the Plant is less important than all of those characters, including both Isabelle and Incineroar who are actually significant in their own games, one of them being one of the Starter Pokemon that you have the ability to spend most of the game with in your party and the other being the main character you interact with in most events in New Leaf.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Actually, I have an idea. Name any spirits you want to see promoted, the rules are 1 per franchise with playable characters and only 5 from franchises without characters
Captain Toad/Toadette [Mario]
Impa [Zelda - Sheik echo]
Bandana Waddle Dee [Kirby]
Black Shadow [F-Zero - Captain Falcon echo]
Black Knight [Fire Emblem - Ike echo]
Liquid Snake [Metal Gear - Snake echo]
Shadow [Sonic - Sonic echo]
Zero [Mega Man]
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Alucard [Castlevania]

Spring-Man/Ribbon Girl [ARMS]
Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
Shantae [Shantae]
Shovel Knight [Shovel Knight]

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays everyone
A bit late but here's mine:
:ultmario:Pauline
:ultdk:Dixie Kong
:ultlink:Impa
:ultyoshi:Poochy
:ultfox:Krystal
:ultpikachu:Gardevoir
:ultmarth:Lyn
:ultpit:Medusa
:ultness:Kumatora
:ultsonic:Blaze the Cat
:ultinkling:Octoling
:ultwario:Ashley
:ultshulk:Elma
:ultryu:Chun Li
:ultmegaman: Zero(Mega Man Zero)
Nakoruru
Shantae
Mach Rider
Nikki
Rayman
Merry Christmas everyone!
My gift to you: an underrated soundtrack!
Underrated soundtrack from an underrated game. Star Fox Assault is the direction that all Star Fox games after it should of gone in. Imagine, going to distant planets like how you would in Starlink and No Man's Sky, and interact with civilization in a positive or negative way by improving it or destorying/ conquering it.

If you play your cards right, you could be the next in line to rule the planet(legally or not). There's just so much they can do with Star Fox in the Star Fox Assault style of gameplay there's so much potential.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the opposite. The ATs are characters with far bigger star power to them and the possible Spirit promotions are really limited to Dixie, Bandana Dee, Shantae, Rayman and Geno. Personally, I don't see why they'd promote a Spirit when an AT would cause a bigger reaction in more ways than one.
those 5 are pretty much what a spirits pass would look like.

also one of those spirits is a long time request that’s begging for another playable appearance in such a long time

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
He could have easily done something "different and fun with a unique concept" for all the characters I listed before. Bull**** at your "not important enough" garbage, the Plant is less important than all of those characters, including both Isabelle and Incineroar who are actually significant in their own games, one of them being one of the Starter Pokemon that have the ability to spend most of the game with in your party and the other being the main character you interact with in most events in New Leaf.
My point was they weren't important enough to overtake Plant in the project plan. Sakurai clearly laid out why he chose Piranha Plant, and nothing was going to be more important to him than realizing that non-traditional take on Smash by focusing on a different type of character to create something unique with. "Importance" was determined by Sakurai as the director and author of the project plan. Different things have different levels of importance for different reasons. Sakurai saw a concept that he thought he could turn into a fun character and shake up the rules/expectations of Smash in the process, and it clearly worked as intended. It shook up the expectations for Smash, gave further spotlight to an unconventional character, and also entertained/made people happy. Not everyone, but then again, Banjo & Kazooie didn't make everyone happy, Ridley didn't make everyone happy, etc.

And it doesn't actually matter how important the other options were or not. Incineroar spent how many months getting hate for not being Decidueye and not being any one of a number of more conventionally popular choices for Smash prior to his reveal. He was 100% setup to ironically end up playing the heel of Smash Ultimate speculation until Plant came along. The hate for Plant isn't just born out of hatred for Plant itself, it has, and always mostly be for the opportunity cost of people not getting their preferred options in. There will always be a character that people will look at with eyes of envy and say, "But that could have been my character!" And while they're technically right, they're almost all simultaneously wrong to as it could have been any number of other options, and every character was chosen in the project plan with a purpose in mind that wouldn't have just been a simple substitute for most options.

Plant is still pretty important on its own though as a representation of Petey Piranha too and as one of the most recognizable Mario enemies of all time though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Warning Issued
What are you, a ****ing philosophy professor?

It's just a video game. Chill out with the moral ambiguity of fighting game mechanics, Socrates. You kill them to gain a net advantage in point-based Smash, it's a strategy to get out disadvantage.

Because they only have a set period of time to develop the game. Sometimes he can't get licenses, or he just doesn't want to put it in his game.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So nothing has changed, except that the hate for Piranha Plant is growing stronger, I see.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So nothing has changed, except that the hate for Piranha Plant is growing stronger, I see.
i personally would've preferred goomba for the generic mario villain rep but then again, piranha plant has way more potential in a moveset

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
i personally would've preferred goomba for the generic mario villain rep but then again, piranha plant has way more potential in a moveset
I like when they go by moveset potential over importance/relevance/requests/sense, so I have no problem with the plant, I like creative characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Not everyone, but then again, Banjo & Kazooie didn't make everyone happy, Ridley didn't make everyone happy, etc.
Both Banjo and Ridley were asked for by an enormous amount of fans prior to being added to the game. No one on Planet Earth was going to be disappointed by the Plant not making it in, and while there have been unrequested characters added in the past, the very last game where every veteran was going to return was pretty much the worst time to add one in. I am aware that Sakurai made the decision, I'm saying it was a stupid a** decision and a terrible opportunity cost.

Not exactly, the hate for the concept of Assist Trophies and Spirits being promoted has also grown stronger, as many in this thread enjoy trashing those characters as unimportant garbage compared to their Holy Grail of a generic mook.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
What are you, a ****ing philosophy professor?

It's just a video game. Chill out with the moral ambiguity of fighting game mechanics, Socrates. You kill them to gain a net advantage in point-based Smash, it's a strategy to get out disadvantage.
I don't think he's talking about morality. He's just pointing out that it's not really a role someone would want their favorite character to be in. A random shot to be on the screen of a few seconds and potentially someone you'd want to KO yourself? That doesn't sound like the position you'd want for your favorite guy.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Assists are a nice way of getting more characters you love into the battle, in theory. But the nature of how they work is abysmal.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
herefore the Moon is the more important and iconic character and should be the upgraded AT"
I wasn’t auguring for Waluigi to be upgraded (I was kinda auguring for the opposite)

Infact, I’m mostly on the belief we are not getting any lmao

But once again, Smashboards takes something I did for fun (with my family no less) and take it seriously / as a personally attack against there character

Even though I flat out said I kinda didn’t care for the situation at hand lmao

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think he's talking about morality. He's just pointing out that it's not really a role someone would want their favorite character to be in. A random shot to be on the screen of a few seconds and potentially someone you'd want to KO yourself? That doesn't sound like the position you'd want for your favorite guy.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Assists are a nice way of getting more characters you love into the battle, in theory. But the nature of how they work is abysmal.
Speak for yourself.

I'd be over the moon if Dixie Kong was an Assist Trophy over a random Klaptrap.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
But once again, Smashboards takes something I did for fun (with my family no less) and take it seriously / as a personally attack against there character
Except that you were trying to pass that thing for fun off as a legitimate piece of data that would somehow prove that one character was more popular than another and were actively using it as part of your argument.

Even though I flat out said I kinda didn’t care for the situation at hand lmao
You sure seem to care enough to keep coming back to the argument.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
But the nature of how they work is abysmal.
You can quite literally say that about everything single aspect about Smash, other then the fighter themselves then

(The Trophies, The Stickers, The Spirits, The Items)

They where all literally created to be made to represent things easier or lesser, other then main characters / fighters“

But according to this thread, “because someone minor character is there favorite, being anything other then a fighter is bad, because it will make those who like these characters fell bad :c

It’s weird how people, say... Nakoruru supporters, didn’t took there character being a Mii Costume and Spirit as a personal vendetta against them, and putting there hate on :ult_terry:

And yeah, she had a pretty vocal fanbase too

You sure seem to care enough to keep coming back to the argument.
Oh joy, the “YoU seEm tO cArE iF yOu rEpLYiED!” retort

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom