• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I've always had a thought that a Musou rep is possible despite Musou games usually being based off of things like historical figures, video game franchises, and anime franchises (and Dynasty Warriors being based off of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms novel that was also based off of Chinese history lol). I don't know much about Fate, but adding a character like Geralt or Lu Bu to Smash would be fascinating to see if the licensing process happens to be easier than any anime, comic, or movie franchises out there.
In the case of Lu Bu, they could probably argue it's like how Dracula in Smash is based off of the character in Castlevania rather than the classic monster.

D

Deleted member

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.

Why not? People still liked her being in Smash.

How old are you?
How does that even relate to anything he says?

Each time you post something it gets even more pointless

Last edited by a moderator:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
His Final Smash would have to be the BFG. It can't be anything else.

But they can't call it "BFG," because the "F" stands for a word that you can't even use on this forum, let alone in Smash.

How do you wriggle out of that one?
Blast Firing Gun? Big Flipping Gun? They'll figure something out. Doubting an entire character just because one weapon he has contains a swear in it is laughable lmao.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration

Depending on how old he is, it'll put me at ease. The kinds of arguments he's making shouldn't be made by anyone over 18.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
- Master Chief is from an M-rated series of FPS games which may not be the most violent on the market, but are still too family unfriendly for Smash. He has no place, and isn't worth discussing. Same with Nathan Drake and Lara Croft (the latter of whom is misogyny incarnate), although less so. Same with Resident Evil, but even more so.
- Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton are decent, if boring, choices. The problem is that they're incredibly niche and unsexy to anyone except for their cult fanbases. Same with Monster Hunter, who would just be another boring swordfighter.
- Crash needs Spyro in a crossover game like this, and nobody wants both of them. What a waste that would be.
- Erdrick is all but confirmed, I'll give you that.
- Heihachi has been deconfirmed by Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt. Jin is whatever.
- Mortal Kombat is simply too violent for Smash.
M-rated characters: Snake, Bayonetta, Joker
Misogyny Incarnate: Bayonetta
"Boring" Characters: Half the roster could be considered generic. Also subjective as hell.
No one wants both Crash AND Spyro: I do, but Crash does not NEED Spyro by any stretch of the imagination.
Heihachi deconfirmed by Pac-Man's taunt: Chrom is literally part of Robin's Final Smash, and he still made it in.
Mortal Kombat is too violent: Bayonetta for the 150 thousandth time. Play her games. They are not at all kid friendly. She literally STRIPS NAKED to attack, but Sakurai censored that in Smash!

Vrbtm

Blast Firing Gun? Big Flipping Gun? They'll figure something out. Doubting an entire character just because one weapon he has contains a swear in it is laughable lmao.
No, because that's not what it stands for.

I'm not doubting an entire character based on one weapon. I've given dozens of reasons why he doesn't belong already. This is just one of them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm sorry for reminding people of the Doom movie, but Bio Force Gun.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
"Boring" Characters: Half the roster could be considered generic. Also subjective as hell.
No one wants both Crash AND Spyro: I do, but Crash does not NEED Spyro by any stretch of the imagination.
Heihachi deconfirmed by Pac-Man's taunt: Chrom is literally part of Robin's Final Smash, and he still made it in.
Mortal Kombat is too violent: Bayonetta for the 150 thousandth time. Play her games. They are not at all kid friendly. She literally STRIPS NAKED to attack, but Sakurai censored that in Smash!
TBF I think the big thing against MK reps is that the games aren't even sold in Japan. Violence is a non-issue.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
No, because that's not what it stands for.

I'm not doubting an entire character based on one weapon. I've given dozens of reasons why he doesn't belong already. This is just one of them.
People are allowed to discuss any character that originated from a video game. Coming into the thread and telling people who they can or cannot discuss about is not the intent of the thread. You are allowed to express your own opinions but that doesn’t include using them in an effort to shut down valid and allowed discussion. Please keep this in mind.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
- Master Chief is from an M-rated series of FPS games which may not be the most violent on the market, but are still too family unfriendly for Smash. He has no place, and isn't worth discussing. Same with Nathan Drake and Lara Croft (the latter of whom is misogyny incarnate), although less so. Same with Resident Evil, but even more so.
Bayonetta, Joker, and Snake are all from M-rated games, all three of these characters fit perfectly alongside the characters you've mentioned here.

- Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton are decent, if boring, choices. The problem is that they're incredibly niche and unsexy to anyone except for their cult fanbases. Same with Monster Hunter, who would just be another boring swordfighter.
Piranha Plant.
Also, Monster Hunter has a variety of weapons to chose from, so assuming they'd only use a sword is short-sighted.

- Crash needs Spyro in a crossover game like this, and nobody wants both of them. What a waste that would be.
1. Not true.
2. Many people do/would.
3. Refer to 1.

- Heihachi has been deconfirmed by Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt.
A taunt does not necessarily disconfirm a character. There is no precedence for this either way.

You're right, Mortal Kombat was too bloody for Nintendo, which is why they famously took out the blood in the SNES port of the game, which is exactly what they could do for this game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

She. But it doesn't matter. It's clear the facts just are being ignored.

Though I'm glad I make my own games too. Cause at least I understand the hard fact that only the person/people behind the games decides what it's narrative is actually about. That doesn't mean they always execute the narrative well. But nothing changes that Smash is now literally "ultimate gaming crossover". It's weird it took it this long to have that narrative though. But hey, at least it has way better quality than the original, M.U.G.E.N.

TBF I think the big thing against MK reps is that the games aren't even sold in Japan. Violence is a non-issue.
They are, but it's PC-only.

I'm sorry for reminding people of the Doom movie, but Bio Force Gun.
I loved that movie. Would prefer if the home release wasn't filled with f-bombs. They honestly weren't that funny after a while. The narrative was a bit off from the games, but it was still very fun overall. Gave me the same feeling as the general games. Obviously it took a lot of liberties. I feel it might've been better if it had demons instead of basically being "infected", though.

Vrbtm

Just because there are M-rated characters in the game already doesn't mean they should add more.
Fair point. Lara Croft is still pretty misogynistic though.
Oh my ****ing god.
He would be super lame without him.
I never said Final Smashes deconfirmed characters.
I already explained why this doesn't matter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
His Final Smash would have to be the BFG. It can't be anything else.

But they can't call it "BFG," because the "F" stands for a word that you can't even use on this forum, let alone in Smash.

How do you wriggle out of that one?
Bio Force Gun, Blast Field Generator, Big Fragging Gun - all of which are names that are officially used as alternatives. Other than that, they can just call it the BFG 9000 without stating what the letters stand for.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker: Realistic guns
:ultganondorf: Strangles people
:ultridley: Impales people, killed and devoured Samus’s parents..
:ultryu::ultken: Bleed, bleed opponents and crack bones. Disfigure opponents faces.
:ultlittlemac: Face disfigurement.
:ultsnake: Snaps opponents’ necks. Explosives.
:ultjoker::ultsheik: Knives.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: Some of their games contain blood and imagery of torture, and satanic rituals.

Yeah, think of the children. There’s no way Doomguy or Scorpion could fit in smash.
it’s not like MK 1-2-3 on Snes were censored or anything.

Some people should just admit they don’t like certain characters instead of going through mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
See, Vrbtm?
THIS is a cogent argument against a character's chances in Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hoo boy, this is just wrong.
This is the part that's tripping me out hardest. I'm a ride-or-die Phoenix Wright supporter who is somewhat nervous about the Hunter's chances because it's likely her presence would mean no Phoenix and even I know that's super, super wrong. Like, that's the whole thing with MonHun, you hunt monsters with tons of weapons that aren't swords.

Wild.

Vrbtm

People are allowed to discuss any character that originated from a video game. Coming into the thread and telling people who they can or cannot discuss about is not the intent of the thread. You are allowed to express your own opinions but that doesn’t include using them in an effort to shut down valid and allowed discussion. Please keep this in mind.
Okay, but why are you quoting me?

I never told anyone who they can and can't discuss... ever.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Also, point for MK characters.
Injustice: Gods Among Us has Scorpion as a guest character without gore.
Injustice 2 has Sub-Zero without gore.
And Mortal Kombat vs. DC doesn't have gore, and it's an entire Mortal Kombat crossover.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man, it's just, if Travis Touchdown supporters can be cool with no blood and no swearing and even suggest alternatives to his constant expletives and be cool with it, anyone can be toned down in a way that makes the fandom happy.

I know that's not really the subject anymore but it's just so much easier to please fans of a character than some think. As long as a character feels right, everyone wins, and Sakurai knows how to make a character feel right.

Vrbtm

Bayonetta, Joker, and Snake are all from M-rated games, all three of these characters fit perfectly alongside the characters you've mentioned here.
Just because there are M-rated characters in the game already doesn't mean they should add more.
Piranha Plant.
Piranha Plant is intended to be humorous. You can find him boring if you want, but he is objectively intended to be a funny/off-kilter character.
A taunt does not necessarily disconfirm a character. There is no precedence for this either way.
I think it does.
You're right, Mortal Kombat was too bloody for Nintendo, which is why they famously took out the blood in the SNES port of the game, which is exactly what they could do for this game.
Which would be extremely lame.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't speak of that abomination of a game. Never existed.
Game was fine, honestly. I have it and loved it. Wasn't the "greatest game ever", sure. But a lot aren't.

There was honestly nothing problematic about its gameplay. It was just not what people wanted with MK. Doesn't make it remotely a bad game in any way.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Okay, but why are you quoting me?

I never told anyone who they can and can't discuss... ever.
- Erdrick is all but confirmed, I'll give you that.
- Heihachi has been deconfirmed by Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt. Jin is whatever.
If people want to discuss Master Chief or characters with guns in a positive light; that’s perfectly fine and within the intent of the thread. This includes character that people actively support and want to see in the game. They shouldn’t be shamed for liking/supporting a character. The language you have used in other posts might not be trying to outright shut down discussion but it certainly carries that tone.

Vrbtm

Bio Force Gun, Blast Field Generator, Big Fragging Gun - all of which are names that are officially used as alternatives. Other than that, they can just call it the BFG 9000 without stating what the letters stand for.
None of this works.

:ultbayonetta::ultjoker: Realistic guns
:ultganondorf: Strangles people
:ultridley: Impales people, killed and devoured Samus’s parents..
:ultryu::ultken: Bleed, bleed opponents and crack bones. Disfigure opponents faces.
:ultlittlemac: Face disfigurement.
:ultsnake: Snaps opponents’ necks. Explosives.
:ultjoker::ultsheik: Knives.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: Some of their games contain blood and imagery of torture, and satanic rituals.

Yeah, think of the children. There’s no way Doomguy or Scorpion could fit in smash.
it’s not like MK 1-2-3 on Snes were censored or anything.

Some people should just admit they don’t like certain characters instead of going through mental gymnastics.
Only Joker's gun is realistic, and it's not the focus of his moveset. Bayonetta's aren't realistic at all.
Ganondorf's Flame Choke is exaggerated and unviolent looking.
Ridley's Impale is exaggerated and unviolent looking.
Ryu and Ken don't make anyone bleed in Smash.
Little Mac's bruises are EXTREMELY mild and barely noticeable.
Snake's explosives are goofy as ****. The neck snap really is too violent and shouldn't have been put into the game.
Sheik doesn't use knives, she uses extremely unviolent needles.
Joker's knife isn't that violent at all.
The Belmonts' games featuring violence is completely irrelevant, because none of it is depicted in Smash.

This is the worst attempt at destroying me I've ever seen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Game was fine, honestly. I have it and loved it. Wasn't the "greatest game ever", sure. But a lot aren't.

There was honestly nothing problematic about its gameplay. It was just not what people wanted with MK. Doesn't make it remotely a bad game in any way.
You mean besides toning down the fatalities and making them lame like Kano's drop and roll? Like how the **** do you even die from that? To top it off the characters designs and animation were beyond mediocre as was its story which felt generic.

That game was an dreaded abomination and disgrace to Mortal Kombat that never should had seen the bright of day. What kind of crack was Ed Boon on to think that was an good idea. Mortal Kombat should never dip below its M rating because blood and gore is what its most famous for.

Of all the potential crossovers he chose DC when he could had gone with something more comparable to keep its M rating like Killer Instinct, Image Comics or Dead or Alive.

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Who died and named you the king of what's worth discussing? Let people have their fun. You don't see me jumping into the Erdrick thread and screaming about how he'll never happen, because that just sounds like a sad lifestyle to have.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Isn’t Joker’s gun technically an airsoft gun?

Last edited:

Vrbtm

This is the part that's tripping me out hardest. I'm a ride-or-die Phoenix Wright supporter who is somewhat nervous about the Hunter's chances because it's likely her presence would mean no Phoenix and even I know that's super, super wrong. Like, that's the whole thing with MonHun, you hunt monsters with tons of weapons that aren't swords.

Wild.
Weapons that would function like swords anyway. Axes, spears, clubs... It's all the same, mechanically.

If people want to discuss Master Chief or characters with guns in a positive light; that’s perfectly fine and within the intent of the thread. This includes character that people actively support and want to see in the game. They shouldn’t be shamed for liking/supporting a character. The language you have used in other posts might not be trying to outright shut down discussion but it certainly carries that tone.
I'm afraid you've woefully misinterpreted my posts.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Vrbtm, we're not trying to gang up on you (or at least I'm not), but your arguments against characters are so shallow.
Sakurai said during the Fighter Ballot that ANY VIDEO GAME CHARACTER IS ELIGIBLE!

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
As for the Heihachi taunt: it's a sprite, not the model that would be in the game.

It would be similar to Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong having their 8bit selves with their modern models. It's a nice reference to old times, but playable Heihachi would look nowhere near like that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It really wasn't that bad, man. Like it wasn't that fun but it was kinda neat and got better after patches. People are too hard on it, mostly because Injustice Did It Better.
I beg to differ it was an dreaded abomination and a disgrace to the Mortal Kombat name. Mortal Kombat should never dip below its M rating because blood and gore is what the game is most famous for.

Of all potential crossovers Ed Boon chooses DC when he could had gone with more thematic and fitting ones like Image Comics, Dead or Alive or Killer Instinct.

Vrbtm

Who died and named you the king of what's worth discussing? Let people have their fun. You don't see me jumping into the Erdrick thread and screaming about how he'll never happen, because that just sounds like a sad lifestyle to have.
When I say "not worth discussing," I'm using it as a synonym for "has a snowball's chance in hell of making it into the game," not that you literally can't discuss them.

Obviously.

Vrbtm, we're not trying to gang up on you (or at least I'm not, but your arguments against characters are so shallow.
Sakurai said during the Fighter Ballot that ANY VIDEO GAME CHARACTER IS ELIGIBLE!
Yeah. To get people excited.

Did you expect him to say anything else?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom