• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's true though.

Pre-Brawl people scoffed at the idea of third parties. We got two the next game, then 5 in Smash 4, and we are currently at four for Ultimate.

People said that "pure" or "innocent" characters shouldn't fight - e.g: Villager and Isabelle because Sakurai once said so (despite the fact we had children and Pichu in prior games to their reveals.)

People took Sakurai's alleged statement of "no characters from fighting game series. Smash is for non-traditional fighting characters" as a statement that cannot be broken . We got Ryu and Ken.

People made up the rules that the character needed a rich history on Nintendo systems. That goalpost was moved to "series with Nintendo history" for a reason.

People said "realistic firearms can't be in Smash" because it may have been said by Sakurai once (not sure). Joker put an end to that,

Yet I will see all of these points to argue against a character to this day. Sakurai can change his mind and his creative input will evolve as well.
It seems the only real "rule" left out there is not including non-video game characters, but perhaps that could also be ruled out as well when James Bond was once considered for Melee because of Goldeneye's popularity.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I was referring to newcomers not characters but I gotta disagree on some of them.
At this point, the only potential newcomers I think belong in Smash that have any chance are Banjo, Sora, and Dante.

Maybe Monster Hunter, maybe Ryu Hayabusa, maybe Klonoa. I don't know, it's hard to say at this point. Maybe Tabuu, that would be cool.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Kinda off-topic, but I really liked this sort of thing in MvC. Except it was the other way around. You had all of these extremely powerful characters, a few literal gods, and even the normal humans like Chris and Frank West still could fight enough to survive huge calamities... and then there was Phoenix Wright. I feel like a lot of people liked him in that game because of how little he seemed to fit among the rest of the cast. It was wacky and his playstyle was really unique.

Kinda hoping for him, in case we do end up with a third Capcom rep. I think MH or a RE rep could be nice, or maybe even a more niche pick like Amaterasu or Arthur. But being in UMvC3 sold the idea of Phoenix to me completely.
I was literally writing that post with MvC in mind haha, I'm a huge fan of it for that reason too.

Vrbtm

Now Im curious, any reason for disliking Toon Link in Smash? It is quite a notorious Link after all.
I just dislike clones, and I think having three Links is pretty gratuitous. No matter how much I love Wind Waker, it still just feels like a waste.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It seems the only real "rule" left out there is not including non-video game characters, but perhaps that could also be ruled out as well when James Bond was once considered for Melee because of Goldeneye's popularity.
Not really. He dismissed the character partially(and rather fast) because he wasn't from a game. Which the main reason was due to licensing(which so far has been very difficult to get for a lot of popular non-game characters like Goku). Another at the time was realistic firearms. But licensing was the biggest role in what we know as to why he doesn't allow non-game characters in. There's a thought he's going for the "Greatest Video Game Fighting Game Crossover ever", but we don't know for sure if that correlates to why he won't add one in. Cause technically if you're in a game alone, you can be a video game character. He hasn't made anything beyond licensing as a direct reason clear. He's described these characters as either too hard to license or "impossible". Never a case of "I don't like the idea".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm gonna state this bluntly once. We're never gonna see non-video game characters in Smash period. So to people that requests Goku of all beings just because he's lolpopular and no other reason just stop.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not really. He dismissed the character partially(and rather fast) because he wasn't from a game. Which the main reason was due to licensing(which so far has been very difficult to get for a lot of popular non-game characters like Goku). Another at the time was realistic firearms. But licensing was the biggest role in what we know as to why he doesn't allow non-game characters in. There's a thought he's going for the "Greatest Video Game Fighting Game Crossover ever", but we don't know for sure if that correlates to why he won't add one in. Cause technically if you're in a game alone, you can be a video game character. He hasn't made anything beyond licensing as a direct reason clear. He's described these characters as either too hard to license or "impossible". Never a case of "I don't like the idea".
It's a funny thought, that. Even though this is supposedly the one big rule for limiting characters, even then, there is no guarantee it will never be broken.

It's quite bizarre, but when you think about it, we might consider non-game characters impossible now, but there's no way to tell if in two, three or even ten games down the line, they would reconsider this.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm gonna state this bluntly once. We're never gonna see non-video game characters in Smash period. So to people that requests Goku of all beings just because he's lolpopular and no other reason just stop.
"Probably won't" is a more reasonable way to put it.

Fact of the matter is, Sakurai has not said a literal no so much as "he can't due to licensing" at best. People need to stop with this narrative as if it's some cold hard fact. It isn't and never was. He knows the issues with trying to do so, which is why it isn't really his priority. That is not the same. It's not even a rule anyway. It's more like a "I don't think it's really something I can make happen easily enough" while noting the requests and respecting them.

Also, dismissing him as lolpopular? That's not why he'd be considered alone. He's a cultural icon and part of a massively influential franchise. There's very good reasons to want to add him. It would drum up sales massively, for starters. People want him in, and as a major icon? Yeah, he earned the spot many times over. That doesn't mean he's possible, but that's due to a ton of licensing, not some "rule".

It's a funny thought, that. Even though this is supposedly the one big rule for limiting characters, even then, there is no guarantee it will never be broken.

It's quite bizarre, but when you think about it, we might consider non-game characters impossible now, but there's no way to tell if in two, three or even ten games down the line, they would reconsider this.
I'm pretty sure he already would do so if it was easy enough. He might want to finish the roster of some major game characters first, though. That's where his priority is. Licensing is still far bigger than some rule that is misunderstood heavily. You need to go through, what was it, 5 different IP holders to get to Goku? Ones who charge a lot too? He's not feasible at this time. Funny thing is we have similar issues with Square-Enix properties(which is pretty much why they're lacking in content in many areas. They're a licensing nightmare).

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
At this point, the only potential newcomers I think belong in Smash that have any chance are Banjo, Sora, and Dante.

Maybe Monster Hunter, maybe Ryu Hayabusa, maybe Klonoa. I don't know, it's hard to say at this point. Maybe Tabuu, that would be cool.
See that's entirely subjective. There are plenty of characters that could be in due to popularity, history, or concept alone.

Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, a Resident Evil character, Professor Layton, Crash Bandicoot, Nathan Drake, Lara Croft, a Dragon Quest character, Heihachi/Jin, Sub-Zero/Scorpion, Ryu Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, etc. all fit the bill that some gatekeepers try to implement.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, dismissing him as lolpopular? That's not why he'd be considered alone. He's a cultural icon and part of a massively influential franchise. There's very good reasons to want to add him. It would drum up sales massively, for starters. People want him in, and as a major icon? Yeah, he earned the spot many times over. That doesn't mean he's possible, but that's due to a ton of licensing, not some "rule".
So Batman, Spider-Man, Shrek and Spongebob when then?

If Goku gets in then that gives people more the reason to want these characters as well which is why I'd rather it stay as video game characters and should stay that way given Smash is about celebrating gaming not characters that didn't originate from gaming franchises. Why Goku gets to be an sole exception I'll never understand.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sigh.

Most of the characters you mentioned aren't even worth entertaining, to be quite honest.
Fair enough if you don't like their games or have experience with them, but it's odd to dispute their legacies as something that doesn't "belong" in Smash.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Fair enough if you don't like their games or have experience with them, but it's odd to dispute their legacies as something that doesn't "belong" in Smash.
If Smash was a multiplatform game that wasn't exclusively beholden to Nintendo and Nintendo's way of doing things, I would see where you're coming from. You see Smash as this all-inclusive free-for-all of video game history. I see it as a celebration of Nintendo's history first and foremost, with a few guests here and there. It's never been about games in general to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So Batman, Spider-Man, Shrek and Spongebob when then?

If Goku gets in then that gives people more the reason to want these characters as well which is why I'd rather it stay as video game characters. Why Goku should be an sole exception I'll never know.
And? People can want cultural icons all they want. Goku is pretty much one of the few characters that is extremely requested to justify putting in. There's some others who are far big enough(including everyone but Shrek, who is mostly a joke suggestion, unlike the other 4 overall).

If he chooses one non-game 3rd party, it will be a cultural icon. Because they're an important character in cultural history. They obviously will be notable among gaming too in some way. Funny thing is most of those are, having some pretty notable games. He's only going to put major characters in if he decides to go this way.

If your argument is the requests will be annoying, I concur. Doesn't mean it's a problem that people want them. That's just silly to worry about at this point. Everybody has their liked characters. They are not wrong for wanting them at all. Frankly, what you're talking about isn't really an issue whatsoever. He isn't going to let any non-game character in as is. They all will be worth noting with no exceptions. And realistically we'd get under 10 at most(and there's some pretty big guns besides Goku, like Mickey Mouse and Popeye). Never mind when you have something like Kingdom Hearts with game-only versions of characters. Did you know that Quan Chi was not a game-character first yet added to the Mortal Kombat franchise anyway? So where am I going with this, you ask? The origin of the character isn't always a big deal. Who they are and what they can contribute is far more important in the grand scheme of things. The only actual argument that Goku won't get in that has made a really good amount of sense is licensing in itself. The whole "fear he'll get more requests" isn't a big deal. As I said "And?". You make it sound like it's some kind of crime that people like the idea of non-game characters getting in. It was never a big deal to begin with.

I've seen the argument you're making before and it's a really bad one. More requests existing it just not an issue at all. The whole "open the floodgates" thing isn't a problem in itself. Other than Sakurai getting a few more requests(which he can easily find ways to avoid the issue beyond simply "never doing it"), worst that'll happen, is what, SB(and other sites) allow a few more types of discussion? Whoop-de-freaking-do. All it says is "oh, hey, more open and fun discussion". Any unreasonable topics would get shut down regardless. You know we do have a few discussions of non-game characters allowed anyway, right? And that's because our rules change with the times. The less restricting the better.

If Smash was a multiplatform game that wasn't exclusively beholden to Nintendo and Nintendo's way of doing things, I would see where you're coming from. You see Smash as this all-inclusive free-for-all of video game history. I see it as a celebration of Nintendo's history first and foremost, with a few guests here and there. It's never been about games in general to me.
Sakurai as well as Reggie has directly stated it's a "gaming crossover" now. It's no longer treated as "Nintendo with a few guests." You should keep this in mind when trying to predict characters. It used to be like that, but that was really only in Brawl at best. You could still argue 4 as well, but Ultimate has a different narrative now.

D

Deleted member

Seems you're stuck on the Brawl era, Smash is more about just Nintendo now and characters like joker and Cloud exemplify that. If it was just about Nintendo nowadays I wouldn't be as interested now with the series.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

For someone that dismisses so many characters for arbitrary reasons, I'm surprised you didn't write off Sora.
Sora, I feel, is the most controversial character due to being in a massive gray area when it comes to being eligible for Smash.
Though he's technically a video game character, his series is a spinoff of the Mickey Mouse franchise, which is not a video game series.
Furthermore, he is owned by Disney, and though Disney seems to be open to allowing Sora in Smash, I doubt Nintendo would open up that can of worms. Even if they managed to remove all Disney references from Sora's moveset, he still has a Mickey Mouse logo on his key blade. Would Nintendo allow that?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
It's more like... many are so used to Nintendo don't having guns because of the K-A Friendly Image that having a real gun in Smash it's quite shocking and makes non-sense considering the E for Everyone Imagine of Nintendo.

Edit: And yeah, I know these are different times, I just try to put in other shoes.
Yeah, this new era of Nintendo is funny when you think about it since the Switch is seeing more cheesecake ever since Sony moved their HQ to California and started censoring a lot of ****

It's true though.

Pre-Brawl people scoffed at the idea of third parties. We got two the next game, then 5 in Smash 4, and we are currently at four for Ultimate.

People said that "pure" or "innocent" characters shouldn't fight - e.g: Villager and Isabelle because Sakurai once said so (despite the fact we had children and Pichu in prior games to their reveals.)

People took Sakurai's alleged statement of "no characters from fighting game series. Smash is for non-traditional fighting characters" as a statement that cannot be broken . We got Ryu and Ken.

People made up the rules that the character needed a rich history on Nintendo systems. That goalpost was moved to "series with Nintendo history" for a reason.

People said "realistic firearms can't be in Smash" because it may have been said by Sakurai once (not sure). Joker put an end to that,

Yet I will see all of these points to argue against a character to this day. Sakurai can change his mind and his creative input will evolve as well.
Honestly, the only rule I see sticking is no characters from Anime or Manga

Funny thing is I can see them making some exceptions for characters who originated from literature (like the Witcher) or visual novels (like the Fate series) if said literature is known more for video game adaptions rather than the actual books and depending on if Visual Novels are technically video games

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure he already would do so if it was easy enough. He might want to finish the roster of some major game characters first, though. That's where his priority is. Licensing is still far bigger than some rule that is misunderstood heavily. You need to go through, what was it, 5 different IP holders to get to Goku? Ones who charge a lot too? He's not feasible at this time. Funny thing is we have similar issues with Square-Enix properties(which is pretty much why they're lacking in content in many areas. They're a licensing nightmare).
Yeah, licensing is enough of a nightmare for game characters. Imagine the hell required for Goku, Mickey Mouse and characters who are huge cultural icons.

In general, making the best video game crossover is already a major thing. I personally would rather it be kept that way, but I don't think even Sakurai knows everything the future might hold. I think my thoughts on non-videogame characters are that they won't happen in Ultimate, but for the next Nintendo console or the one after that, my thoughts are more on line with...

Vrbtm

Sakurai as well as Reggie has directly stated it's a "gaming crossover" now. It's no longer treated as "Nintendo with a few guests." You should keep this in mind when trying to predict characters. It used to be like that, but that was really only in Brawl at best. You could still argue 4 as well, but Ultimate has a different narrative now.
I won't buy into that narrative until the roster is no longer dominated by first party reps.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash is about celebrating gaming. Simple as that. No non-video game characters should get in as a result. Something that Goku falls into the category for.

Vrbtm

For someone that dismisses so many characters for arbitrary reasons, I'm surprised you didn't write off Sora.
Sora, I feel, is the most controversial character due to being in a massive gray area when it comes to being eligible for Smash.
Though he's technically a video game character, his series is a spinoff of the Mickey Mouse franchise, which is not a video game series.
Furthermore, he is owned by Disney, and though Disney seems to be open to allowing Sora in Smash, I doubt Nintendo would open up that can of worms. Even if they managed to remove all Disney references from Sora's moveset, he still has a Mickey Mouse logo on his key blade. Would Nintendo allow that?
None of my reasons for dismissing any character have been arbitrary.

Sora is definitely in the grey area that you described, but I will only outright dismiss a character if they're not, for lack of a better term, "family friendly."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Strangely you went with Dante, despite DMC being the one Capcom IP out of ones usually mentioned with the least amount of Nintendo history.

Perhaps you see him as a fun guest to have, but that rings true for every other third party.

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
Joker feels like the most far out there you can get with a third-party rep. There's little to no presence on Nintendo consoles so far for him, let alone the Persona series.

That being said, Persona 5 in particular is one of the most popular RPGs in recent years if not of all time, and Atlus as a developer is no stranger to Nintendo due to the SMT series that Persona was born from. From that point of view, his inclusion makes more sense.

With characters like Joker, Ridley, and Piranha Plant, I went from not feeling like certain characters deserved to be in Smash to instead feeling like anyone is eligible now, and I'm happy to say I can't help but be excited about that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Personally, I don't mind whoever gets in at this point. Two of my most wanteds aren't happening (one of which seemed super likely (Shadow), so that blew me away) and one only has a small shot, so I'm just like... shrug. I'm not hyped anymore in a personal sense, but whoever gets in will make someone happy, and that's all that matters to me. I'm sure I'll find something to like with any pick they make anyhow.

Vrbtm

Strangely you went with Dante, despite DMC being the one Capcom IP out of ones usually mentioned with the least amount of Nintendo history.

Perhaps you see him as a fun guest to have, but that rings true for every other third party.
I've conceded before that I think the Fighter Pass will exclusively have third party characters, just because they're inherently more exciting and likely to drive more sales.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I won't buy into that narrative until the roster is no longer dominated by first party reps.
Too bad your narrative has no basis in reality here. Sakurai's narrative trumps yours hands down. It's his game, not yours. He makes it. He automatically wins in this particular case. You absolutely do not have to like his decisions, of course. But pretending his exact words are somehow wrong is beyond ridiculous.

Smash is about celebrating gaming. Simple as that. No non-video game characters should get in as a result. Something that Goku falls into the category for.
Now that makes a lot more sense than what you said before. That's a good reason on why it would stay that way. (I don't think it alone would prevent a non-game third party from getting in, of course. But eh, to each their own).

Yeah, licensing is enough of a nightmare for game characters. Imagine the hell required for Goku, Mickey Mouse and characters who are huge cultural icons.

In general, making the best video game crossover is already a major thing. I personally would rather it be kept that way, but I don't think even Sakurai knows everything the future might hold. I think my thoughts on non-videogame characters are that they won't happen in Ultimate, but for the next Nintendo console or the one after that, my thoughts are more on line with...

Your image kind of doesn't work. You should make sure the image is embedded, not linked, to get the full effect.

But yeah, I get what you mean. Ultimate I feel is going to stay video-game only. Maybe Mii costumes at most(I'd love a Captain N one).

D

Deleted member

None of my reasons for dismissing any character have been arbitrary.

Sora is definitely in the grey area that you described, but I will only outright dismiss a character if they're not, for lack of a better term, "family friendly."
So you dismiss characters that aren't family Friendly but you want Dante as DLC.
u wot mate?
Yes it does. Sakurai is a businessman.
How does that even make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Most of the characters you mentioned aren't even worth entertaining, to be quite honest.
Gonna have to disagree pretty hard with this one.

Master Chief - Microsoft mascot from a game that revolutionized console FPSes. Has fighting game precedence. (Sorta: SPARTAN-458 was a playable character in Dead or Alive 4)
Phoenix Wright - Well-designed Capcom character with strong ties to Nintendo from a series that arguably brought visual novels to the west. Has fighting game precedence. (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
A Resident Evil character - Well-designed characters from one of the seminal games in the horror game genre. Has fighting game precedence. (Marvel vs Capcom series, Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield)
Professor Layton - Well-designed Level-5 character with, like Phoenix Wright, strong ties to Nintendo from a game that arguably brought visual novels to the west.
Crash Bandicoot - Sony mascot that rivaled Mario in the 90's consoles war.
Nathan Drake - A current Sony mascot that has led the 3D action adventure genre over the past decade. Fighting game precedence. (Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale)
Lara Croft - Current Crystal Dynamics mascot that helped developed the 3D action adventure genre. A household name and one of the first video game film adaptations.
A Dragon Quest character - Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan that Square Enix has to release the games on Saturdays so that people don't skip school or work to purchase the game (not a law, however, despite popular belief).
Heihachi/Jin - Characters from a seminal Namco-Bandai fighting game series (Tekken). Heihachi was the basis of a Mii costume in Smash 4.
Sub-Zero/Scorpion - Characters from a seminal fighting game series (Mortal Kombat) that was partially responsible for the ESRB being created.
Ryu Hayabusa - One of the most iconic ninja in video games, from Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden series. Has fighting game precedence. (Dead or Alive series)
Monster Hunter - Rathalos is already in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes it does. Sakurai is a businessman.
No, it has no basis in reality. You're not making any sense. Him being a businessman is irrelevant.

He is the creator of the Smash Bros. game. When he says the game has a narrative of what it's designed about, then that's what it's factually designed about. That's how it works. Only he gets to decide the narrative of the game. If a new director comes about, they can change it, sure. But when he says it's a gaming crossover, it's pretty much a gaming crossover by fact. You can "feel" it's not one, but that's an opinion of yours, not some fact that... is still not even based in reality.

Also, the game isn't really that dominated by 1st party stuff anymore. It has a partial focus on it, but there's an extremely high amount of 3rd party content to begin with. 3rd Parties and 1st Parties are literally what makes Smash what it is now. They both are majorly important to its core, as of 4 at least. FYI, he treats Assist Trophies as Guests too, even 1st Party ones. It's still literally the Ultimate Gaming Crossover anyway. Which is actually a pretty accurate narrative since it has a huge amount of non-1st parties among the game itself(being playable isn't the only thing that matters, after all).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Bayonetta is literally a hyper sexualized character that in her own game kills angels, swears like a sailor, and uses guns.
If they can tone her down, they can tone anyone down. Even Scorpion and Doom Slayer.

Vrbtm

Gonna have to disagree pretty hard with this one.

Master Chief - Microsoft mascot from a game that revolutionized console FPSes. Has fighting game precedence. (Sorta: SPARTAN-458 was a playable character in Dead or Alive 4)
Phoenix Wright - Well-designed Capcom character with strong ties to Nintendo from a series that arguably brought visual novels to the west. Has fighting game precedence. (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
A Resident Evil character - Well-designed characters from one of the seminal games in the horror game genre. Has fighting game precedence. (Marvel vs Capcom series, Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield)
Professor Layton - Well-designed Level-5 character with, like Phoenix Wright, strong ties to Nintendo from a game that arguably brought visual novels to the west.
Crash Bandicoot - Sony mascot that rivaled Mario in the 90's consoles war.
Nathan Drake - A current Sony mascot that has led the 3D action adventure genre over the past decade. Fighting game precedence. (Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale)
Lara Croft - Current Crystal Dynamics mascot that helped developed the 3D action adventure genre. A household name and one of the first video game film adaptations.
A Dragon Quest character - Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan that Square Enix has to release the games on Saturdays so that people don't skip school or work to purchase the game (not a law, however, despite popular belief).
Heihachi/Jin - Characters from a seminal Namco-Bandai fighting game series (Tekken). Heihachi was the basis of a Mii costume in Smash 4.
Sub-Zero/Scorpion - Characters from a seminal fighting game series (Mortal Kombat) that was partially responsible for the ESRB being created.
Ryu Hayabusa - One of the most iconic ninja in video games, from Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden series. Has fighting game precedence. (Dead or Alive series)
Monster Hunter - Rathalos is already in the game.
- Master Chief is from an M-rated series of FPS games which may not be the most violent on the market, but are still too family unfriendly for Smash. He has no place, and isn't worth discussing. Same with Nathan Drake and Lara Croft (the latter of whom is misogyny incarnate), although less so. Same with Resident Evil, but even more so.
- Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton are decent, if boring, choices. The problem is that they're incredibly niche and unsexy to anyone except for their cult fanbases. Same with Monster Hunter, who would just be another boring swordfighter.
- Crash needs Spyro in a crossover game like this, and nobody wants both of them. What a waste that would be.
- Erdrick is all but confirmed, I'll give you that.
- Heihachi has been deconfirmed by Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt. Jin is whatever.
- Mortal Kombat is simply too violent for Smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Too bad your narrative has no basis in reality here. Sakurai's narrative trumps yours hands down. It's his game, not yours. He makes it. He automatically wins in this particular case. You absolutely do not have to like his decisions, of course. But pretending his exact words are somehow wrong is beyond ridiculous.

Now that makes a lot more sense than what you said before. That's a good reason on why it would stay that way. (I don't think it alone would prevent a non-game third party from getting in, of course. But eh, to each their own).

Your image kind of doesn't work. You should make sure the image is embedded, not linked, to get the full effect.

But yeah, I get what you mean. Ultimate I feel is going to stay video-game only. Maybe Mii costumes at most(I'd love a Captain N one).
It was an image with the Judge from PW saying "I can tell you're grasping, yet I cannot deny the possibility of what you're saying". That's how I ultimately feel about non-VG characters.

*sigh*... I tried embedding it, but it kept giving me an error message, for whatever reason. Oh, well.

Vrbtm

Bayonetta is literally a hyper sexualized character that in her own game kills angels, swears like a sailor, and uses guns.
If they can tone her down, they can tone anyone down. Even Scorpion and Doom Slayer.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.

No, it has no basis in reality. You're not making any sense. Him being a businessman is irrelevant.

He is the creator of the Smash Bros. game. When he says the game has a narrative of what it's designed about, then that's what it's factually designed about. That's how it works. Only he gets to decide the narrative of the game. If a new director comes about, they can change it, sure. But when he says it's a gaming crossover, it's pretty much a gaming crossover by fact. You can "feel" it's not one, but that's an opinion of yours, not some fact that... is still not even based in reality.

Also, the game isn't really that dominated by 1st party stuff anymore. It has a partial focus on it, but there's an extremely high amount of 3rd party content to begin with. 3rd Parties and 1st Parties are literally what makes Smash what it is now. They both are majorly important to its core, as of 4 at least. FYI, he treats Assist Trophies as Guests too, even 1st Party ones. It's still literally the Ultimate Gaming Crossover anyway. Which is actually a pretty accurate narrative since it has a huge amount of non-1st parties among the game itself(being playable isn't the only thing that matters, after all).
How old are you?

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy could probably work if you just gave him cartoony explosions like Snake's on the Super Shotgun (something that I'm pretty sure would be his forward smash attack), considering the rest of the guns in Doom 2016 have really silly effects that look cartoony already. Also just make his throws reference the animations for glory kills but minus the gore (DThrow being a stomp on a floored opponent, for example.) That still communicates how brutal he is but toned down to work in Smash and reaches a happy medium.
Or they could just stick to his original incarnation and make his defining trait how fast he is. But my gut feeling says they'd make his defining characteristic be his brutality, like Ridley.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Funny thing is I can see them making some exceptions for characters who originated from literature (like the Witcher) or visual novels (like the Fate series) if said literature is known more for video game adaptions rather than the actual books and depending on if Visual Novels are technically video games
I've always had a thought that a Musou rep is possible despite Musou games usually being based off of things like historical figures, video game franchises, and anime franchises (and Dynasty Warriors being based off of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms novel that was also based off of Chinese history lol). I don't know much about Fate, but adding a character like Geralt or Lu Bu to Smash would be fascinating to see if the licensing process happens to be easier than any anime, comic, or movie franchises out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrbtm

Doomguy could probably work if you just gave him cartoony explosions on the Super Shotgun (something that I'm pretty sure would be his forward smash attack), considering the rest of the guns in Doom 2016 have really silly effects that look cartoony already. Also just make his throws reference the animations for glory kills but minus the gore (DThrow being a stomp on a floored opponent, for example.) That still communicates how brutal he is but toned down to work in Smash and reaches a happy medium.
Or they could just stick to his original incarnation and make his defining trait how fast he is. But my gut feeling says they'd make his defining characteristic be his brutality, like Ridley.
His Final Smash would have to be the BFG. It can't be anything else.

But they can't call it "BFG," because the "F" stands for a word that you can't even use on this forum, let alone in Smash.

How do you wriggle out of that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom