• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still going all out on Master Chief. I expect Sakurai to surprise us like usual with the unexpected or seemingly impossible.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is a bold prediction

Idk whether or not it will be a fighter, Mii costume, spirits, ect. However, taking everything into consideration, I really think that we are pretty much guaranteed to get some sort of Touhou representation at some point. (Fan demand, nearly non existent copyright, influenced games like Undertale, ect.)

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Seeing as people are having trouble with finding things to talk about due to a lack of leaks, I figure we can talk about ideas for DLC to hopefully get people thinking about characters that they might not have considered otherwise.

I find it kind of weird that, despite having a hand in developing the past two games (at the very least) and having an extensive back catalog of games (including some very popular fighting games and RPGs), Namco-Bandai only has a single character in Smash Bros. If they got a second character, who would you want it to be (not necessarily who you think is likely), and why?

If I had to pick any one, I think my choice would be Agumon. Part of it is pure nostalgia on my part (Pokemon vs. Digimon was like Mario vs. Sonic when I was growing up, so being able to see Agumon going up against Pikachu in any official capacity would be neat), though games like Digimon Rumble Arena 2 make it easy to picture how he'd work, and I'd like to see how Digivolution could be implemented by the Smash development team, particularly since in-game transformations (at least for the Pokemon Trainer) are back.

I figure characters like Heihachi and KOS-MOS would be more likely, but I don't have much connection to Tekken (I've played Tekken 2, 7, and Tag Tournament 2, but all of those were very recent) and I have no connection to KOS-MOS, (I don't have a PS2, so I don't have any way of officially playing a Xenosaga game) so while they would be great to see, I don't think I'd get the sort of excitement that I'd get from an Agumon reveal.
My big two wants from Bamco are Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and the Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari Damacy).

Yuri is my favorite Tales protagonist and Vesperia was my first Tales game: Seeing him get in would be really cool for me because of that. Katamari Prince is mainly because I'm just fascinated by the idea, and am curious how he would work. Plus, Katamari music in Smash would be really peckin' good.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Homura has been leaked as FP5. Alongside her reveal, it will be announced that all three Madoka movies will be ported to the Switch.
Does this mean I get the chance to go into the video editor and cut out the last 20 minutes of Rebellion from ever existing?

Also, Cristina Vee gets her voice in Smash and it's not as Shantae what a world.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Only if it's free or bundled with something else without changing the price tag.

I don't think they should sell standalone music tracks.
how about full music packs with a selection of 3-6 songs? i.e. for a pre existing series, or even a new series without a fighter, like music was all they could afford

lemme dream ok

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Seeing as people are having trouble with finding things to talk about due to a lack of leaks, I figure we can talk about ideas for DLC to hopefully get people thinking about characters that they might not have considered otherwise.

I find it kind of weird that, despite having a hand in developing the past two games (at the very least) and having an extensive back catalog of games (including some very popular fighting games and RPGs), Namco-Bandai only has a single character in Smash Bros. If they got a second character, who would you want it to be (not necessarily who you think is likely), and why?

If I had to pick any one, I think my choice would be Agumon. Part of it is pure nostalgia on my part (Pokemon vs. Digimon was like Mario vs. Sonic when I was growing up, so being able to see Agumon going up against Pikachu in any official capacity would be neat), though games like Digimon Rumble Arena 2 make it easy to picture how he'd work, and I'd like to see how Digivolution could be implemented by the Smash development team, particularly since in-game transformations (at least for the Pokemon Trainer) are back.

I figure characters like Heihachi and KOS-MOS would be more likely, but I don't have much connection to Tekken (I've played Tekken 2, 7, and Tag Tournament 2, but all of those were very recent) and I have no connection to KOS-MOS, (I don't have a PS2, so I don't have any way of officially playing a Xenosaga game) so while they would be great to see, I don't think I'd get the sort of excitement that I'd get from an Agumon reveal.
I would want Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia as a Bandai-Namco rep. I have a childhood attachment to him, since he was in Super Smash Flash (the original one) and was one of my favorite characters in it. SSF was also my first Smash experience, and even though it's aged pretty poorly, I still have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I'm currently watching a playthrough of Tales of Symphonia to learn more about Lloyd and his series, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Even if I didn't play his game as a kid, I still always liked the character and seeing him join an official Smash game would truly be amazing.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
how about full music packs with a selection of 3-6 songs? i.e. for a pre existing series, or even a new series without a fighter, like music was all they could afford

lemme dream ok
Even in packs, I wouldn't like it if they sold music. It's something that should be bundled in with other DLC content or just given away for free IMO.

I'd love to get SwSh music in Ultimate, but I don't want to pay money for it. At least toss in a few Mii Costumes if that's what you're gonna do.

D

Deleted member

Does this mean I get the chance to go into the video editor and cut out the last 20 minutes of Rebellion from ever existing?

Also, Cristina Vee gets her voice in Smash and it's not as Shantae what a world.
But why would you want to remove the best part of the movie?

From what I can tell, Rebellion is not available for streaming on any legitimate platform at the moment, so unless you have a physical copy or pirate, it doesn't exist.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What character would finally push you to get Ultimate?

And I’d argue that Ultimate has done quite enough to distinguish itself from 4.
The differences between Smash 4 and Ultimate are a subjective thing. For me there are some differences that I even consider a downgrade, such as the lack of Smash Run (3DS) in favor of a much less interesting single player mode, the lack of 3D trophies and descriptions, the change of most final smashes to cutscenes, and the worse online (that's even paid despite being worse). There are also things changed for the better, but they are not big enough for me. Having to collect all the spirits for 100% is something that scares me as well, since collecting all the hats in Smash 4 was a pain and I'm a completionist, it annoys me to have an unfinished game, so much that I prefer to not have it at all (not to mention that some spirits only appeared during certain specific events and it's impossible to get them now, but I assume those don't count for 100%).

Characters who can push me to get ultimate?
I have some characters I want, but it really depends in how they do them moveset-wise too. For example, I like Metaknight, Dedede and Sonic, but I don't like their moveset in Smash, so I still don't play as them.
I don't want to write a list because I'm sure I'd forget of someone, but there's a decent amount of characters that would convince me to get the game.
Kirby, Zelda, Rhythm Heaven and Hollow Knight are the franchises that I'm looking for the most, but not the only ones.
I admit that Piranha Plant is pretty close to being that type of character (yes, I unironically like it), but I'm still waiting to see if something better comes in the future. As I said, I have a lot of patience, and no hurry to get the game since I have other stuff to play currently.
Adeleine & Ribbon would be a critical hit for me, but not the only character I'm looking for (the only character I'm actively supporting, maybe).

I'm mostly looking for a first party character anyway, so I hope they will release some more of them in the future. There are very few third party characters I'm interested to, they are very rare exceptions.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

From Namco, my most wanted is Klonoa, but I know deep down in my heart there's absolutely no way he's making it before the juggernauts from that company. For most likely, my guess would be Heihachi. Don't have an attachment to Tekken, but I figure he could be interesting to play - the tilt-based moveset by FeliciaFan sold me on the idea.

Off-topic: I was thinking yesterday about characters that I think are "a matter of when, not if". Not necessarily for Ultimate either, mind you, but for the future of the series. I genuinely think that Sora, Dante and Travis will make it eventually, even if not in this game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The differences between Smash 4 and Ultimate are a subjective thing.

the **** did i just read

Having to collect all the spirits for 100% is something that scares me as well, since collecting all the hats in Smash 4 was a pain and I'm a completionist, it annoys me to have an unfinished game, so much that I prefer to not have it at all (not to mention that some spirits only appeared during certain specific events and it's impossible to get them now, but I assume those don't count for 100%).
Bruh collecting the Spirits is 100% easier than getting all trophies and customs, I assure you.

It took me 4 years to get all the trophies and customs in 3DS. 4 ****ing years. But in Ultimate? Took me 2 months tops when I actually tried to get all the Spirits from all the modes, the most difficult one was the shop-exclusive ones in the Spirit World.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
...what?

I think I get what you're trying to say, but the way it's phrased here makes absolutely no sense.
Sorry for that.
It's clear enough anyway, I think...
The differences are enough, but very few of them actually matter for me.

SKX31

Smash Master
Anything new?

Also I just got Luigi's Mansion 3 for my birthday.
Well, this:

Now any "Top 10" esque list is going to be subjective, but the Washington Post writers did reason pretty well - I'd figure that some of its reasons would be adopted by supporters of Steve, Dovachkin etc. sooner or later.

WaPo's reasons in short:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 2010: One of the key games that revitalized horror as a viable genre, one of the most notable inversions of the power fantasy trope - and one of the first games to get a sizeable boost from Youtube videos. Publishers noticed the last one especially, when it wound up creating a new kind of Internet celebrity.

Minecraft: "The ultimate blank canvas" by virtue of its simplicity. And one of the games that best encapsulate the 2010s. Also, its early access period is a major reason for its legacy: "It’s not hard to draw the line from indie games in early access to the AAA rebranding of the term “games as a service,” discussed a little later in this article with a look at Destiny, this trend’s most apparent beneficiary. "

Dark Souls: Not only provided the template for "Souls-like" games, but also influenced player progress, online interactions and enviromental storytelling greatly. WaPo stating that Souls planted the seeds for Death Stranding does have a lot of truth to it - "From Software challenged and asked us to redefine the very concepts of “fun” and “reward."

Skyrim: "Skyrim is, for many, the American role playing game’s Final Fantasy 7. And it was the mother of a thousand memes." One of the primary games to mod, and the one game that won't die because its fans refuse to let it.

Candy Crush Saga: Popularized the freemium model through its very engaging gameplay and its structure. WaPo noted: "Mobile gaming eventually created “pay to win” games, referring to video games insidiously designed to slow your progression, encouraging you to pay to win. It is one of the industry’s most despised — and most profitable — practices." Also represents the very polar opposite to Dark Souls in gameplay mentality. Nevertheless, reached millions of people fast.

The Walking Dead: Season One (no really): Revitalized the adventure game genre and one of the main reasons adventure games are released in episodes nowadays. Showed there was interest in deeper story telling too, something TellTale would try to recapture.

Destiny: Despite being a high-profile failure at launch, WaPo chose this because it crystallized the “live service games" model. Also, Destiny 2 did win Best community support at VGA 2019, marking that game as a major case of turning it around and proof that a vibrant community can thrive even with a disasterous start.

Witcher 3: Took Skyrim's ideas and ran with it - proving that open worlds and deep narratives could co-exist. In fact, the Witcher 3 set the high bar for story-telling. Something RDR 2 wound up reinforcing.

Pokemon Go: Despite the WaPo writers being clear that it "is an obvious and not particularly artful exploitation of a beloved childhood property" PoGo became the “I’m always listening to podcasts or music because I don’t want to be alone with my own thoughts” of games. The foremost example of a "micro-moments" game, and one that still has a sizeable playerbase.

Fortnite: Transparency and low commitment when it came to its Battle Pass helped ensure its players kept coming back. And ensured Battle Passes became a thing in the first place. Also, the end-of-the-season events turned into spectacles on their own accords. Those are major reasons why it reached 200 million and got everywhere.

lemme dream ok
Are those all remixes? If so I'd probably be a bit more open to the idea.

Still though, def. wouldn't mind more music even if it's sold. Beyond looking at FF, I'd welcome more Pac Man / Kid Icarus / Metal Gear music for example.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Only if it's free or bundled with something else without changing the price tag.

I'd buy music packs over Mii costumes any day. I don't know if Nihon Falcom is getting in 100%, but a company like that makes good music and can use the exposure; it'd be a great consolation prize. Music packs are one of those "if you don't like it, don't buy it" type situations, but there are definitely folks out there who'd buy them. For example, I'm sure quite a few people would get a Square Enix pack or something.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Well I don't want individual songs as DLC, what I want is packs based around specific series or specific games.

Like a Warriors pack (with the hyrule warriors and Fire emblem warriors remixes of songs) or a Persona Q duology pack with songs both PQ games

I would pay for songs like that:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
now if they sold a Jet Set Radio Music Pack, I'd go all in
I'd rather be able to play the game on Steam as it's bull**** I can't boot the game up sure it was a free download BUT GODDAMMIT NOW I CAN NEVER UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE!

Ok sure the song wasn't from the first game but still

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Music packs would be a worthwhile addition, in my opinion, if the number of tracks to price is right. Especially to dip into franchises that might not have reps but could get some Smash recognition via amazing sound tracks. Sega alone has countless games I'd kill to have a song or two from that could be played on any stage similar to how Meglovania works.

Some say it should be free but I'd rather compensate the composers who put in the work to make these songs. Asking for them for free is far too selfish.

D

Deleted member

Good morning again, everyone.

Geez, I wish it was January already at this rate...the wait is tiring...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say as long as we don't have to pay more than the averrage iTunes Song per track all will be good.
Heck, by that metric look how much of a bargin the Terry pack is. that would be $49.50 on itunes.

...there are definitely folks out there who'd buy them. For example, I'm sure quite a few people would get a Square Enix pack or something.

I'm one of them, I'd buy that Square Enix music pack in a heartbeat.

lemme dream ok
This could mean... Shovel Knight remixes!? Lets gooooooooo!

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Lara Croft
because of tomb raider
Ryu Hayabusa
because of ninja gaiden/ tecmo
Doom Marine
because it's DOOM
Crash Bandicoot
90's console wars mascots fighting would be neat
Earthworm Jim
Used to be popular in the 90's, had games, a cartoon, and toys.
the no hopers easter egg, even though he's kinda dead now... would be a really neat left field character, with a hilarious and fun move set, from snot to cow bazookas...
Sir Daniel Fortesque
A cartoon aesthetic alternative to Kratos for a Sony character. Hilariously would be another sword fighter.
Kratos
It's Sony's current guy.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Wait it's not Arika? No, Skullomania! My baby boyyyyy.
I'd rather have Pullum.

Rondoline E. Effenberg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Lara Croft
because of tomb raider
Ryu Hayabusa
because of ninja gaiden/ tecmo
Doom Marine
because it's DOOM
Crash Bandicoot
90's console wars mascots fighting would be neat
Earthworm Jim
Used to be popular in the 90's, had games, a cartoon, and toys.
the no hopers easter egg, even though he's kinda dead now... would be a really neat left field character, with a hilarious and fun move set, from snot to cow bazookas...
Sir Daniel Fortesque
A cartoon aesthetic alternative to Kratos for a Sony character. Hilariously would be another sword fighter.
Kratos
It's Sony's current guy.
I was asking about Namco-Bandai characters, though that's a pretty solid list. (admittedly, I know nothing about MediEvil beyond Playstation All Stars Battle Royale)

Rondoline E. Effenberg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom