• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Travis Strikes Again is a spin-off that is basically a tribute to Indie games, not one itself.

And I like how we went from Touhou discussion with Reimu being one of my most wanted to No More Heroes with Travis being another most wanted of me. I was thinking how he'd be in Smash. Obviously he'd be toned down but he'd likely still keep his charm.

I was thinking that even some tracks in NMH are risque. Pleather for Breakfast may not get in due to its name alone and Philistine would either be omitted, change its lyrics, or be instrumental if Travis got in. Just some thoughts I had there.

But regardless this made me think more about Travis and how much I'd love to have him in Smash.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Being popular within small anime communities doesn't make something less niche.

I along with a large group of my gamer friends are all into manga and anime and that stuff (admittedly, me less so than them) and none of us had ever heard of Touhou or Reimu until this weird sudden push for Reimu in Smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I along with a large group of my gamer friends are all into manga and anime and that stuff (admittedly, me less so than them) and none of us had ever heard of Touhou or Reimu until this weird sudden push for Reimu in Smash.
that's because it's a game first, anime/manga ****ing dead last

i think there are some touhou manga but never have i heard of a touhou anime

D

Deleted member

that's because it's a game first, anime/manga ****ing dead last

i think there are some touhou manga but never have i heard of a touhou anime
Don't you know? Japanese = Anime.

Every single character in Smash except Banjo, Diddy, K. Rool, and Dark Samus are anime.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I have Forbidden Scrollery, which is one of the official Touhou manga. Those came to the West, too.

And really, I associate Touhou with the Shmup/Otaku portions of the gaming community more. There may be overlap with the anime community but the closes to anime it has are the fanimes made for it(Which admittedly most of them look professionally made).

And honestly, out of all the third party Shmups, Touhou would make the most sense to get a playable character in since the characters are humanoid-esque girls and not literal ships unless you want a sentient Vic Viper, which would be kind of hilarious to see.

D

Deleted member

The real question isn't whether or not Snake is anime, the question is whether or not Sans is anime.

Sans is Ness, so that would make him anime, but he was made by a westerner, so that makes him not. He's in that grey area, like DK, where it's the gaijin redesign for an anime character I guess.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The real question isn't whether or not Snake is anime, the question is whether or not Sans is anime.

Sans is Ness, so that would make him anime, but he was made by a westerner, so that makes him not. He's in that grey area, like DK, where it's the gaijin redesign for an anime character I guess.
That doesn't make him anime or western. That makes him Kappa Mikey.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think I figured out who Fighter 5 is.

It’s the hamster from Hamsterball Gold.

Youtube just reminded me this game existed after many years.

D

Deleted member

Well we already saw Dragon Quest, a series that mostly only popular in Japan, got in while series that are barely recognized in Japan (like Rayman) were Trophies and Spirits.
Looking at all the characters that are in Smash Bros they're either attach to a Japanese franchise or are recognized in Japan like Banjo was. I mean, we even got Fire Emblem added when barely anyone knew about it in America and we have a Japanese exclusive character added to the roster with Lucas. I wouldn't be surprise if someone from Touhou gets in as playable character while Doomguy gets in as a Mii Costume or Spirit.
I doubt doom is getting a spirit by itself and nothing else also going back to what you said about sakurai promoting japanese games What I really meant to say is That dosent mean western characters like crash or shantae won’t get in they both have presence in Japan and they’re popular there (while shantaes small she’s still popular there)

osby

Smash Obsessed
We got Resident Evil Spirits without any fighters and it's one of the bigger Japanese video game franchises around.

It's not like successful series not getting playable characters is unique to western games.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

What's weird about a multimedia game franchise which has consistently released new games, content, and high-profile memes for the past 20 years having a lot of fans who want its protagonist in Smash? Touhou fans (who have always been around) are becoming more vocal because the twin announcements of Sans and DLC continuing made Reimu's inclusion go from a complete pipe dream to at least remotely plausible.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dude, you just gave me an intense surge of nostalgia
I haven't watched Kappa Mikey in years. Honestly with this new generation you could make a serious, slightly "mature" Kappa Mikey like God intended before it went from MTV? to Nicktoons.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Now you know what we feel when you start "too sexy for CERO" debates.
Are people really trying to dismiss that when literally 8 times there proof of that agrument being vaild

I can understand the context of the violence debate, because the way :ultbayonetta::ultjoker:&:ultsnake: are implement are full of "well ACTUALLYs" (IE: there are not really guns and ECT)

So I can understand both sides until we see a character with a actual realistic gun and violence

Too sexy ? Now that's 100% real, considering how so many things had to be changed and *ahem* censored throughout Smash for. 3DS / Wii U and Unlimited

But outright removed (IE the Thorja trophy and now Mia)

yeeeeah, sorry guys

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anything new?
The new fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Nintendo Switch is...

1576779666434.png

Y̸̱̓̋̀̈̆͌͛̓̚͘ ̶̨̺̥̪̭̪̱̤̺̗̪͕͋͋̀̎͆̔̍̈̂̔̎̓͠O̷̪̩̹̽̀͌́͌̕ ̸̥̥̯̮̦̮͐̇͒̽Ṳ̸̒͒̿̒̆̿̔̐͒̄̕

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If we are living in the best possible timeline (for me at least) , it would likely be.

FP5: Monokuma

Season 2

FP1: Ryu Hayabusa
FP2: Reimu
FP3: Crash Bandicoot
FP4: Doom Slayer
FP5: Phoenix Wright

If there is a FP6 slot, I’d gladly give it to Lloyd.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Man... We need something to spice things up around here...

Why yes. I have gone mad.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seeing as people are having trouble with finding things to talk about due to a lack of leaks, I figure we can talk about ideas for DLC to hopefully get people thinking about characters that they might not have considered otherwise.

I find it kind of weird that, despite having a hand in developing the past two games (at the very least) and having an extensive back catalog of games (including some very popular fighting games and RPGs), Namco-Bandai only has a single character in Smash Bros. If they got a second character, who would you want it to be (not necessarily who you think is likely), and why?

If I had to pick any one, I think my choice would be Agumon. Part of it is pure nostalgia on my part (Pokemon vs. Digimon was like Mario vs. Sonic when I was growing up, so being able to see Agumon going up against Pikachu in any official capacity would be neat), though games like Digimon Rumble Arena 2 make it easy to picture how he'd work, and I'd like to see how Digivolution could be implemented by the Smash development team, particularly since in-game transformations (at least for the Pokemon Trainer) are back.

I figure characters like Heihachi and KOS-MOS would be more likely, but I don't have much connection to Tekken (I've played Tekken 2, 7, and Tag Tournament 2, but all of those were very recent) and I have no connection to KOS-MOS, (I don't have a PS2, so I don't have any way of officially playing a Xenosaga game) so while they would be great to see, I don't think I'd get the sort of excitement that I'd get from an Agumon reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom