• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand that since nothing was shown at the game awards, it seems like nobody has anything to talk about. Was it expected? Yes, it was. Was it promised? No, it was not. It was just the passing of another day at best and a missed opportunity at worst. This is the month of the game's anniversary and it is the holiday season. A reveal is upon us.

Tbqh, the VGAs was average at best and I am glad that Super Smash wasn't shown there because it wouldn't have saved that clusterf***.

We can also talk about s*** after the pass. Think for yourselves damnit! Stop relying on mofos who are probably as stumped as you are.
Well i was thinking about asking this question to the thread for a while now...

If your most wanted character would get in Smash, what kind of unique mechanic/gimmick could they have? How would it work?

Like, Joker has Arsene (Rebel guard itself is also a pretty unique move), Hero got the down-b menu (also the MP and the Crits.), Banjo got Wonderwing and Terry got the 'Go' thing at 100%+.

For mine, i was thinking Hayabusa could have his ninpo art of summoning clones of himself. It could work a bit like Luma or the Ice Climbers sort of, except the clones could stay in the air (instead of falling), couldn't be hit (they wouldn't block projectiles and stuff) and you could pass through them (pretty much exactly like in Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES). Wall climbing/running would also be great but maybe too situational (e.g. useless on FD or Battlefield). Like every idea, they'd have to put some kind of downside (like a time limit or a 'cost' of some sort) to make it balanced.

If anyone want to share their ideas, i'd be very interested to read them.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
To be honest, after thinking about it a little more, Verge lost a ton of credibility after the KOS-MOS incident imo. Really don’t know whether or not to believe him.

To elaborate a little more and to avoid repeating myself, this is why I think this.
Pretty sure that most of those leaks surrounding KOS-MOS only popped up or gained traction after Vergeben heard from his source that they were unsure about her. I also wouldn't think too much of said source being unsure, considering that KOS-MOS is in a bit of a tricky place legally. The only thing that I will grant you is looking a bit odd right now is that he has yet to follow up on getting back to his source on that matter.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pretty sure that most of those leaks surrounding KOS-MOS only popped up or gained traction after Vergeben heard from his source that they were unsure about her. I also wouldn't think too much of said source being unsure, considering that KOS-MOS is in a bit of a tricky place legally. The only thing that I will grant you is looking a bit odd right now is that he has yet to follow up on getting back to his source on that matter.
The VGA leak that got things right popped up before he even said it wasn't Bamco.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Most of the KOS-MOS leaks popped up long before Vergeben asked his source; in fact, they're the reason he even asked his source about her.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If I don’t recall, he specifically said he looked into KOS-MOS because of the leaks.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
To be honest, after thinking about it a little more, Verge lost a ton of credibility after the KOS-MOS incident imo. Really don’t know whether or not to believe him.

To elaborate a little more and to avoid repeating myself, this is why I think this.
If you want any sort of explanation, I'm sure ZenythSmash ZenythSmash can shed some light on the matter if he wants to.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Ultimate proof that Kos-mos is actually a Nintendo All-Star:

Elma friends in shambles.

If your most wanted character would get in Smash, what kind of unique mechanic/gimmick could they have? How would it work?
I'd probably say Edea from Bravely Default would have a move that buffs her to mimic the brave mechanic in the games. It would give her better frame data or movement for a little bit, which would then be followed by worse frame data or movement for the same amount of time. Kind of a risk/reward thing. You might also be able to willingly take the debuff in exchange for a use of brave without penalty later.

The thing I like more about her moveset-wise is the likelihood of getting a Toon Link-esque fighter who likes to fight up close, but that's me. The short, floaty guys tend to like their projectiles.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Like, Joker has Arsene (Rebel guard itself is also a pretty unique move), Hero got the down-b menu (also the MP and the Crits.), Banjo got Wonderwing and Terry got the 'Go' thing at 100%+.

For mine, i was thinking Hayabusa could have his ninpo art of summoning clones of himself. It could work a bit like Luma or the Ice Climbers sort of, except the clones could stay in the air (instead of falling), couldn't be hit (they wouldn't block projectiles and stuff) and you could pass through them (pretty much exactly like in Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES). Wall climbing/running would also be great but maybe too situational (e.g. useless on FD or Battlefield). Like every idea, they'd have to put some kind of downside (like a time limit or a 'cost' of some sort) to make it balanced.

I think it's pretty obvious that Chorus kids (or anything related ro Rhythm heaven) would have a rhythm mechanic. Maybe some bonus attack if you do you're special moves following a certain rhythm. Maybe even have the conductor in the background doing some beats and if you follow it you have more knockback (I got the idea of introducing the conductor in their moveset after the infamous Grinch leak).

For Porky, I personally always imagine him in his mech, so maybe giving some king of super armor? Although I don't really know if he would be too op with that. If he's out of his mech I don't really know. To be fair I think that Porky design and personality alone would be enough to make him original with the other cast. For example, if they decide to put him in his mech like I imagine him, they could show him as someone who's really arrogant and powerful. If they decide to go with a out of mech moveset, they should make the total opposite: a moveset that show how weak and a coward he is, maybe with a lot of help to back him up. In both case they must show that he's actually just a immature child (for example, him sticking his tongue out for a taunt). This would create a big contrast with the fact that his taunt and some of his move show that he's childish, but his final smash would be summoning Giygas with some creepy music. At least that what I imagine for him.

D

Deleted member

here's a fun Q: if your number one most wanted character was in, what assist trophy would come with them and how would it work
Well Eight from DQ8, K.Rool, Ridley and Dark Samus are already in... so I will just say I would love Dragonlord or Angelo as assist trophies.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
here's a fun Q: if your number one most wanted character was in, what assist trophy would come with them and how would it work
If Joshua Fireseed became playable, I'd figure Adon would be the assist to follow suit. Likely she'd act as a support, probably offering healing of some sort. Maybe blast enemies with beams of light. Possibly both depending on the player who summoned her's condition (High damage she heals, if not too wounded she attacks).

Eldrake

Smash Lord
My most wanted is Gordon Freeman, so a good assist trophy would be a Vortigaunt. As a long distance attack it fires off a green energy arc attack, dealing significant damage and causing a strong knockback if it hits. As a close range attack, it can grab someone to slam them down on the ground and strike them with a burst of electricity. Like a number of other assist trophies, the Vortigaunt can be attacked, grabbed and KO'd.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
About my post earlier, there is also one major thing that is incredibly odd. I guess they would call this a “plot hole” if Smash speculation was a movie.

If Vergebens source really had told him “no Namco characters” with absolute certainty before the KOS-MOS fake leaks popped up (which prompted him to ask), then why did he even ask about her in the first place? Kind of pointless to ask a question you already know the answer to, if you ask me.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Oooh, I've got loads of ideas. My most wanted being a pipedream, Lina the Slayer from Dota 2 - but I'll go with who I think is the most fitting:

Enigma: Attacks using Malefice (four ticks of mini-stun and small launch), using Eidolons (small ranged minimes, like Pikmin), laying down Midnight Pulse on the ground (tick-based Poison damage on anyone in the affected area, decent AoE and lasts for a couple seconds), and finishing with Black Hole (self-explanatory: similar AoE, lasts for a couple seconds and is inescapable). If Enigma's near death (but not KOed just yet), Black Hole gets the Aghanims' Scepter buff: Midnight Pulse is added to the Black Hole. And yes, two Pulses can stack with each other (by him laying down the normal Pulse before the buffed Black Hole).

Other fun ideas include Trish (Dante), Atreus (Kratos), Sombra (Tracer / DiVA), Bentley (Sly Cooper) and TeLOS (KOS-MOS).

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Layton has Puzzles
ammy has drawings

Last edited:
For Porky, I personally always imagine him in his mech, so maybe giving some king of super armor? Although I don't really know if he would be too op with that.
Pretty sure they could balance that out somehow, like they did with K.Rool's belly armor. Maybe the armor could break at some point or something, idk.

I never played a Rhythm Heaven game but a moveset based on rhythm would be really unique and fun imo. I remember seeing a moveset concept for Karate Joe a while ago, i liked it a lot.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Sure, here's Amaterasu quirk and how it works. I posted this a while back.

The way I was thinking Ammy's Specials/Moveset would work, is that she could be Smash's first Weapon Stance Character She'd be like Pokémon Trainer, but with weapons. For the Inklings you hold Shield and B to reload ink, but for Ammy you hold Shield, and B in order to switch weapons even during an air dodge.

Ammy would have a special inkpot gauge like in her game, having ink will allow you to use her powerful Celestial Brush techniques, the ink would be painted on Ammy or across the screen from a third party view similar to Duck Hunt's moves. The more Celestial Brush techniques you use, and the longer you perform them for, the faster your ink will run out.
If you run out of ink not only will your recovery be greatly shorten (a small jump that's slightly longer than Popo's) but you will turn into a regular wolf.
When this happens, all/most of your attacks will be replace with weak kicks, tackles, bites and scratches, and the most dreadful of all Ammy loses her ability to bloom plants, and flowers when she walks/runs.
I also had this idea based off of Corrin that I posted a while back too as an added quirk for her.
Final Divine instruments/Elemental Bonus: It's no surprise that Sakurai likes to use a characters strongest weapon from their respective game (Corrin's Omega Yato), so Ammy should be able to have her strongest weapons too. So along with her final Divine instruments, she gains an elemental bonus too if her ink pot gauge is full, or more than half. Using Solar Flare moves gives extra fire damage to foes, Tundra Beads moves has a less than decent chance to freeze enemies, and Thunder Edge has a chance to stun enemies or perform an electrified critical hit for major damage and knockback.
Edit: this way (with the exception of Up B) you can decide to play using mostly your Celestial Brush techniques, like a mage, or play like a weapon master, all warrior like, or mix it up the choice is up to you.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
About my post earlier, there is also one major thing that is incredibly odd. I guess they would call this a “plot hole” if Smash speculation was a movie.

If Vergebens source really had told him “no Namco characters” with absolute certainty before the KOS-MOS fake leaks popped up (which prompted him to ask), then why did he even ask about her in the first place? Kind of pointless to ask a question you already know the answer to, if you ask me.
He asked his source because someone on GameFAQs requested he did that. I guess he just wanted to humor that person.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Pretty sure they could balance that out somehow, like they did with K.Rool's belly armor. Maybe the armor could break at some point or something, idk.

I never played a Rhythm Heaven game but a moveset based on rhythm would be really unique and fun imo. I remember seeing a moveset concept for Karate Joe a while ago, i liked it a lot.
If they were going to give Porky armor due to the mech, I imagine it'd not be like K.Rool armor. It'd probably work like Bowser's Tough Guy where attacks under a certain percent don't cause him any stun/stagger until a certain point. Allowing him, like Bowser, to bully their way through weak jabs/projectiles.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma, so uhhhhhh.... Lin in a Skell? Or screw it she throws Tatsu at everybody like a beach ball

funny enough, even though I can’t see Octoling coming with an AT, I did dream once that the Squid Sisters AT had a chance of Off The Hook appearing instead and they performed Ebb & Flow

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
He asked his source because someone on GameFAQs requested he did that. I guess he just wanted to humor that person.
I remember him specifically saying he checked with the source because of the leaks.

And even if what you are saying is true, he still didn’t have to do that if he already knows Namco is off the table. He could’ve just told that person “I already said no Namco, she is not in”.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Yeah, Rhythm heaven have so much good moveset online. Here's one of my favorite if you're curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SnNpZ4RCw

I'm still a bit sad honestly that the serie got shafted in this game. They got pretty much everything: relatively big and popular franchise (comparing to other franchise that don't have already a character like Golden sun or Chibi robo). The franchise is still active because it got a new game between Smash 4 and Ultimate on 3ds. Unique design, unique character, unique moveset possibility and even a supposedly cut character in Smash 4 means that Sakurai liked the idea at some point. But in the end we got not even an assist trophy, while some way more obscure franchise have one.

D

Deleted member

I remember him specifically saying he checked with the source because of the leaks.

And even if what you are saying is true, he still didn’t have to do that if he already knows Namco is off the table. He could’ve just told that person “I already said no Namco, she is not in”.
Or she could have been mistaken as a Nintendo character

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
1. Hornet as a fighter, and for Assist trophy I say the Knight or Lace.
Knight slashes enemies at close range and uses Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul at long range, similar to Saki. Lace will move quickly and slash enemies.
2. Isaac as a fighter, and Felix as an Assist trophy.
Felix will work similar to Isaac, but occasionally uses Ragnarok.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I already got my most wanted character and it was Ridley.
My pipe-dream character is Master Chief so here's my idea for a Halo assist trophy.
How about Sergent Johnson and an UNSC marine in a Warthog that runs over other fighters while firing its mounted Gauss cannon to stun players?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Kind of hard to do when a quick Google search will tell you which company she belongs to.
The problem is you're assuming everyone in the chain knows the same information. Somebody in Verge's chain knows who it is, but we have no idea how it was narrowed down before it got to Verge.

A conspiracy theory Explanation would be that someone was told it was a female character from the Xeno series. In the context of Smash, it could easily be taken as a character from Xenoblade.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Bandana Dee would have the elemental stuff from Star Allies. He would have a shield-special that absorbs an elemental attack and applies it to his spear. Mario's fireball or Charizard's fire breath? Your spear is on fire and deals more damage. PK Freeze? a strong hit can freeze a foe. Kaswoosh? Your recovery is now ridiculous.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The most obvious one for Elenor (or any PSO rep) would be Just Attack windows.
Timing (almost) any move appropriately after a prior move increases its power (and secondary effect where applicable).
To be accurate to the original PSO, this could only work on every 2nd or 3rd move, but if you decide to go with the PSO2 implementation, it could work on all moves after the first, just with an added delay after every 3rd attack.

Thought about also switching shielding over for a dodge roll, but that may be too busted. >_>

There are other novel things you could do with certain weapon specials, some of which would work better than others, but the most fun ones would be busted in some way (looking at you, Heaven Punisher), so eh...

If they went with a Katana-user from PSO2 instead, they could give perfect shielding Just Counter (counter-attack) and Katana Gear (boosts attack temporarily by spending gear accrued through normal combat) properties. But I don't want any of them, so nah...

The only other character I actually considered a similar gimmic for is actually Pyramid Head, and it's another one that just sounds good on paper, but would likely be kind of rubbish in practice.
Judgement: the more kills an opponent has (on their current stock, at least), the more attack/defense Pyramid Head has against them, specifically.
or it could be based on the amount of damage they've done if that is too limiting.

While I don't think they're going to add assist trophies, this is kind of hard since there's a number of ways you could go to source them.

• There are obviously a number of characters in the OG PSO story to run with. I'd probably give Ep.3 the focus if we were looking there and go with Castor and Pollux. But since PSO would be contributing the primary character, the stage, most of the music, spirits, etc. it would probably be better to spread the love.
    My next thought was to go with Lou, but I'd rather the Universe/Portable sub-series remain its own thing.
  • They could take someone from PSO2es (Annette or Seraphy [since Gene would... pose a problem*]) to give that some representation.
But in the end, I actually think the most fitting character for an AT would be
  • Demon Phaleg from PSO2.

She could do her dash attack back-and-forth, kick out shockwave blades, and do the jumping meteor stomp.

*I just realized, you can't spell CERO without ERO, and that's just plain backwards...

Last edited:
Bandana Dee would have the elemental stuff from Star Allies. He would have a shield-special that absorbs an elemental attack and applies it to his spear. Mario's fireball or Charizard's fire breath? Your spear is on fire and deals more damage. PK Freeze? a strong hit can freeze a foe. Kaswoosh? Your recovery is now ridiculous.
... absorb the 'destruction' element from Wack or Thwack? Bandana Dee be like https://youtu.be/rjpD_3v0D9g?t=33:p

Joking aside, the idea of absorbing elements makes Bandana Dee a lot more interesting than i thought he could be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom