• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't WANT a playable Ganon. I LIKE Ganon as a Boss. I just want decloned Ganondorf and Black Shadow with Ganondorf's old moves!

I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!
1576341838650.png

Ah, a man of culture I see.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He had no problems including the likes of Sheik and Zero Suit Samus though
Inb4 "Those where originally transformation characters" even though Sakurai stated that he counted them as separate characters even back in Melee and Brawl...
Still a valid argument because...well, Sakurai is just plain wrong there.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't WANT a playable Ganon. I LIKE Ganon as a Boss. I just want decloned Ganondorf and Black Shadow with Ganondorf's old moves!

I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!
I'm probably in the minority when I say I'd prefer Ganon to stay a boss AND for Ganondorf to stay the same.

Even with the sword, he still has the same core moveset since Melee. At this point, I'd hate to see it get replaced with anything. He's really popular online, and I think a lot of people would be upset if Sakurai changed too much.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Believe me, I understand the reason why Nintendo is dragging things out, and I absolutely believe that the characters should be revealed when Sakurai and the development team are ready to reveal them.

I do think that leakers have sucked some of the fun out of it. I usually don’t mind leakers, because the information they provide usually gets confirmed or shot down shortly after they leak it. However, almost the entirety of discussion for Ultimate has been based on leaks.

If you think about it, pre-release, Verge says, “Ridley, Snake, Ice Climbers, Simon Belmont”, we argue, they get confirmed. We got surprises with Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, K.Rool, etc.

Hero was essentially leaked. Banjo got leaked. Terry was more or less leaked, but that was by Nintendo themselves. The conversation has always been with leakers in the background, and then the inherent “desire to be right” seeps in, which makes it harder to embrace new ideas.

I mean, I have my own thoughts on characters, and that’s without much influence of what leakers say is likely. With Resident Evil our, Dante is my most wanted. According to leakers, he isn’t Fighter 5. I’ll temper expectations for him being #5. But I don’t think that should stop folks from talking about them.

In some cases, though, I think the frustration becomes that fan desire becomes expectations, and that if enough people talk about certain characters without opposition, it turns into misguided expectations.

Anyway...would hope an announcement comes soon, but I have a backlog to distract me if I need it.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
If we got another Ganon, I want a Phantom Ganon hybrid that covers all the bases. Make him part beast. Give him a trident. Give him a horse. He's a phantom so he's dead. He's a wizard. He's a spirit. Give him a sword so that he can dual wield and give him some Calamity inspired s***. You'd have it all.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At this point, I'd hate to see it get replaced with anything. He's really popular online, and I think a lot of people would be upset if Sakurai changed too much.
Anyone who likes Smash Ganondorf just likes the moveset, and doesn't respect Ganondorf as a character if they're happy with a stolen moveset that doesn't represent him in his games at all.

Those people will follow that moveset to Black Shadow.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ganondorf was fine since Smash 4 actually. They made him a slow tank, and his gameplay felt different than Falcon's who's a fast character (with laggy moves but still). The couple of changes they did to some of his moves were fitting to the character, and gave him a stronger identity.

The only thing that annoyed me of Ganondorf (and Bowser) was that they had suicidal moves that allowed them to cheat in online fights, when the developers instead made their best to nerf Kirby's inhale and grabs to make kirbycide impossible. If this has to be removed from Kirby, it should be removed from all characters (I don't know if they fixed this in Ultimate, but it was definitely a problem in 4).

Though wouldn't mind a decloned Ganondorf with his moveset switched to Black Shadow either. Maybe a semiclone like Mario-Dr Mario?

Speaking of semiclones, Luigi has been differentiated from Mario enough, but he really needs to have more Luigi's Mansion references in his moveset; the Flashlight should definitely be one of his moves; wouldn't mind it to replace the green fireball.

Speaking of Ganon instead, Ganon should be in the roster along with Ganondorf. They are different, totally different, similar to how Samus and Zero Suit Samus are completely different characters in both look and moveset/type. The thing is, they have to pick the classic version of Ganon, not the Ocarina one, that's not the iconic version of him. OoT Ganon works well as a boss, but not as a playable character. Hyrule Warriors Ganon is an hybrid between Ganon/TP Ganondorf and a few other things, it's cool but still not the correct Ganon.

D

Deleted member

The only thing that annoyed me of Ganondorf (and Bowser) was that they had suicidal moves that allowed them to cheat in online fights, when the developers instead made their best to nerf Kirby's inhale and grabs to make kirbycide impossible. If this has to be removed from Kirby, it should be removed from all characters (I don't know if they fixed this in Ultimate, but it was definitely a problem in 4).
Not sure about Ganon, but one of the earlier patches in Smash 4 made Bowser die first, and it has remained that way since.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
All in part due with leakers.

The drought gets nullified with people having fun speculation about nearly anyone and everyone because no answer is a wrong answer. People are having fun talking about radically different characters from Heihaci to Cooking Mama. Then people like say Verg or Sabi come up with their church followers shoving it in peoples' faces that so-and-so isn't getting in because of a track record validifying their existence, and people are snuffed out and forced to talk about things that are supposedly left. And then the communities of said characters proceed to get artificial hate because people complain that it's only that one character who gets talked about and how they've ruined the game and blah blah blah. This is the most attention KOS-MOS has gotten in years and it's split between either loving her or hating her, all because people and leakers alike narrow it down to her and her alone. Some people like getting the information slapped in their faces, but there are a lot who also enjoy the suspense of waiting. It keeps threads like this thriving, and when it's fun, it's really fun to talk about either the most straight-forward or wackiest of characters.

Now I'm forced at gunpoint to talk about namco's robot waifu because it doesn't matter what I say if no one else is supposedly on the table because of what the internet boogeyman leaker says now does it? :nifty:
I'd argue that this "trickle down" of DLC actually contributes to the environment of speculation being entirely reliant on leakers. Some stuff takes ages to prove right or wrong.

Suppose Nintendo still reveals the characters one by one, but then gives a date of when the next reveal will happen - like Guilty Gear 2020 is doing with their base roster right now. The presence of dates would automatically imbue nearly every leak with a kill switch, and getting dates right can sometimes be more difficult than characters - imagine both.

As for the "hype" factor... again, that hasn't stopped other games from getting hype even after revealing characters that are six full months down the line or, in GG's case, characters that are basically just series veterans. People still want to see what the characters will play like or what's the content that they will bring - that's basically what we did in the BK thread from E3 until September.

The drought would get nullified with people speculating about characters, so in that sense you're right, but... that's not really what we've seen so far, is it?

SKX31

Smash Master
Anyone who like Smash Ganondorf just likes the moveset, and doesn't respect Ganondorf as a character if they're happy with that non-representative, stolen moveset.

Those people will follow that moveset to Black Shadow.
Call me a whippersnapper, but I've always thought the cloned moveset fit Ganondorfs' personality too. Of course, he's a wizard through and through, but he's also gonna get up close and personal if need be:

OoT_Link_Fighting_Ganondorf_Artwork.jpg

Of course, I was 11 / 12 when Melee came out and my friend circle discovered Ganondorf was a thing in Smash.

While I'd kinda prefer Ganondorf getting his own moveset, I def. don't mind him being how he is now. He still hits like a truck, which is what Ganon should feel like IMO.

The suicide also kills Ganon first nowadays. Really, the only suicider I can think of who can kill first reliably is Cloud - Chromcide got nerfed pretty early on, so Chrom (and I think Ike too) are much more unreliable nowadays than they were Day 1.

(Could obviously be forgetting someone here.)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
New idea for Post-Pass DLC:

Opening trailer introduces Dante, fights Bayonetta.

Halfway through the trailer, have Dante seemingly winning, when 2B shows up to fight back.

I’d probably crap myself.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still say all of our most unique choices for a Zelda rep come in the form of one-offs.

Impa could be unique, but compared to the rest of the LoZ cast and even characters similar to her from other franchises, she feels like a really bland vanilla pick. There's Tingle, who needless to say is an acquired taste. Then there's Pig Ganon, who has all the potential to be a very unique character, but honestly works better as a boss since he's arguably the best choice to rep the Zelda series as a whole. Lastly, there's characters like Toon Zelda and Tetra. I don't really have much to say about them (especially the former since I'm sure she'd be a clone of sorts), but I think Sakurai has far better options.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Regardless of when, I think the best option for the reveal of CP5 is in a January Direct, because then we can get both their gameplay, release date and possibly an explanation of how the next season will go down (with some luck, maybe even the first character).

I'm not holding my breath for a Direct next week (the thing with there being one after the Nindies) and I don't really see any other events getting a reveal. So it's just a matter of when in January it would be - will it be before or after the next wave of amiibo?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Halfway through the trailer, have Dante seemingly winning, when 2B shows up to fight back.

You had me at Dante vs Bayonetta and then you lost me and left a sour Yelp review when you mentioned a random 2B appearance.

you see at least Dante and Bayonetta were made by the same man

Last edited:

prince-banane

Smash Rookie
Believe me, I understand the reason why Nintendo is dragging things out, and I absolutely believe that the characters should be revealed when Sakurai and the development team are ready to reveal them.
I think it's more the marketing team that decide when the characters will be revealed.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
One of the other main reasons why I want Ganon in Smash is the potential in a trident-based moveset.
I mean, the Bandana Dee thread has thrived despite its derisive moniker as "hat goomba" halfway on espousing the glory of the spear moveset alone.
spear.png

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Could possibly imagine that his slogan reveal would be something like "Dante, hits the jackpot!" or "Dante, keeping it stylish!"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One of the other main reasons why I want Ganon in Smash is the potential in a trident-based moveset.
I mean, the Bandana Dee thread has thrived despite its derisive moniker as "hat goomba" halfway on espousing the glory of the spear moveset alone.
View attachment 253027
what the hell was this made with

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
View attachment 253027
The "Goomba with a hat" argument died when Piranha Plant was revealed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The "Goomba with a hat" argument died when Piranha Plant was revealed.
Remember how people were so vehemently against BWD that they'd say that Piranha Plant doesn't count because he was a joke character?

like bro its just gaem

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
My little brother was watching LaxChris's latest video (yeah, I know)

And I was hearing behind me that Chris went of a tangent about how "they should have moved around the characters, and ended the pass on a character that everyone would get excited for, like Banjo!!"

And all I'm going say, am I'm the only one who hates this kind of logic?

Ingoreing the fact that Smash always ends in dispointment

Did he just forgot on how on edge Banjo fans was when there was even a hint of his reveal, (Espically with Hero and Steve surporters)

If Banjo was revealed later, could you imagine the toxicity and back and forth that we would had to deal with, waiting of them out of the blue not knowing if there character is getting in or not

I don't care how much you was dispointed that the pass "ended" with a flop, I rather have the "most important" characters to be revealed as soon as possible, then rather trying to "surprise" us

Look at Geno supporters, and tell me keeping a community on the edge is worth it "just to end it on a bang"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My little brother was watching LaxChris's latest video (yeah, I know)

And I was hearing behind me that Chris went of a tangent about how "they should have moved around the characters, and ended the pass on a character that everyone would get excited for, like Banjo!!"

And all I'm going say, am I'm the only one who hates this kind of logic?

Ingoreing the fact that Smash always ends in dispointment

Did he just forgot on how on edge Banjo fans was when there was even a hint of his reveal, (Espically with Hero and Steve surporters)

If Banjo was revealed later, could you imagine the toxicity and back and forth that they would had to deal with

I don't care how much you was dispointed that the pass ended with a flop, I rather have the "most important" characters to be revealed as soon as possible, then rather trying to "surprise" us

Look at Geno surports, and tell me keeping a community on the edge is worth it "just to end it on a bang"
I don't have to imagine it as it took Shinobi hinting Banjo was in to make someone stop stalking me on this site lmao

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I don't have to imagine it as it took Shinobi hinting Banjo was in to make someone stop stalking me on this site lmao
If you miss it, Gale can stalk you on this site.:secretkpop:

J/k but the topic is already awkwardly silent and I saw an opening and took it.

Anywho, what's the current status of the disconfirmation lists? That s*** changed so many times, idek what is in the running.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
man, there really isn't anything to talk about, huh?
We could always keep an eye open for when the "New!" tag disappears on the fighter/stage tab on the Smash website.

It's still there, by the way.

Thoughts on the idea of stage-only DLC?
My thought is that I seriously don't get why everyone has such a love for Poké Floats and so desperately wants it back.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
man, there really isn't anything to talk about, huh?
Welcome to the next two months of this thread.
Guess I'll go China-watching then.

It really sounds like the most consequential thing to happen outside of an announcement (of an announcement) and perhaps leaks (although I kinda doubt that given recent events). That's not a whole lot of potential stuff, so, yeah...

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH while I'll jump in here for some casual speculation every once and a while, I honestly really doubt we're hearing anything before late January at the absolute earliest.

Which is fine by me. I got a backlog the size of a mountain filled with hundred-hour long JRPGs, Pokemon breeding, and other stuff to keep me busy. Nintendo can tell me who FP5 is when they're ready. :drshrug:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Who here has played Starfox Assault?

Yes, I am killing time until we get something new to discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom