• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
After Travis Strikes Back I've been a hungry boi for more Suda content. Replayed 1 and 2 last year for the hell of it. Travis looks so ****ing good from what's been shown of the game.

Fu was also really well designed and delivered by whoever the voice actor behind him is, especially the whole "I'm a goddamn superhero". I really hope he is in the final game somehow, this ****'s just too good to go unused.

That's a take I've legitimately never heard used before.
I only saw it today too tbf

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just watched Granblue Versus stream reveal almost its entire first fighter's pass at once and now I'm wondering why we can't have that.
It's because Nintendo values to long-term hype factor. It gets people to tune into things they normally wouldn't in hopes of a reveal. That, in turn, leads to more viral marketing.

I'd prefer them to be revealed all at once too (and seemingly so would Sakurai, at least in a Pass format), but them's the breaks I guess.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's because Nintendo values to long-term hype factor. It gets people to tune into things they normally wouldn't in hopes of a reveal. That, in turn, leads to more viral marketing.

I'd prefer them to be revealed all at once too (and seemingly so would Sakurai, at least in a Pass format), but them's the breaks I guess.
Dbfz shadow dropped its second season with two characters, one of which was an entertaining wtf pick that introduced a new dodge mechanic and had the first alternate costume in the game - something that was previously ruled out because of the extra work involved. They also announced the final two characters in the pass, which are the most popular. The two middle characters were a secret, but Microsoft accidentally leaked one of them outright, which brought back a s***load of attention to the game mid-season. No release dates were given for any character.

That is how you f***ing do it. They gave people a reason to buy the pass by announcing the most popular first but saving them for last. They kept speculation and hype alive because people kept guessing and checking for character reveals and release dates. They f***ed up which brought up more speculation. They gave people the incentive to buy the pass because they showed off the most popular first, shortly after kicking off the new season with a fun WTF pick that brought new s*** to the game and bundling them alongside a safer pick. It had everything.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Dbfz shadow dropped its second season with two characters, one of which was an entertaining wtf pick that introduced a new dodge mechanic and had the first alternate costume in the game - something that previously ruled out because of the extra work involved. They also announced the final two characters in the pass, which are the most popular. The two middle characters were a secret, but Microsoft accidentally leaked one of them. No release dates were given for any character.

That is how you f***ing do it. They gave people a reason to buy the pass by announcing the most popular first but saving them for last. They kept speculation and hype alive because people kept guessing and checking for character reveals and release dates. They gave people the incentive to buy the pass because they showed off the most popular first, shortly after kicking off the new season with a fun WTF pick that brought new s*** to the game. It had everything.
For real, at this point I dont care who thenfinal fighter is, Im probably not gonna be playing smash anymore then I already am not. plus I know its no one I want. Showing off fighters one by one is so hype killing

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Everyone wants young Impa. But I want old lady Impa to prove she can still kick ass.

Action grannies are highly underrepresented.
I want Anju's Grandmother as a Jigglypuff echo.

But jokes aside, Zelda is a franchise with counless possible unique characters for Smash, it's really underrated/underrepresented.
First of all, Young Link should be decloned. It's the most unique version of Link, with the mask transformations and the Ocarina spells, Fierce Deity Link as his final smash... they can make a wonderful character, but it's still stuck as a clone.

Then, you have:
Classic Ganon
Tingle
Impa
Vaati
Ghirahim
Tetra
Midna
Skull Kid
the BOTW champions
And a bunch of more obscure but still cool characters from other less popular games, such as the Oracles games.

It's the franchise with the most wasted/unused potential along with the Kirby series.

But back to jokes, I'd like to se Error as a fighter, a pixelated character who fights by using graphical glitches as attacks.

D

Deleted member

thing w/ ninty's reveal schedule is that the majority of people who were gonna buy the full pass instead of just a character or two don't need to be won over, hell, they probably spanked that add required funds button the moment the pass went up for purchase

from a business perspective it makes sense to milk the rest of the reveals for what they're worth, despite how annoying it is for us consumers

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just watched Granblue Versus stream reveal almost its entire first fighter's pass at once and now I'm wondering why we can't have that.
that sounds boring

imagine showing off banjo in january going "oh my god!!! 5 more months til banjo!!! guh huh!!!!" every day for the next half-year

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But back to jokes, I'd like to se Error as a fighter, a pixelated character who fights by using graphical glitches as attacks.
There's another character out there who fits this concept better

:000:

May be too big though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Character wait times keep speculation and interest in the game alive.

Though let's be real, some waiting periods are too much for people (Joker took 4-to-5-ish months?). We got Terry ridiculously earlier than intended, and now it's a gap of waiting for who's next. I'd have 3 months of a waiting period before moving on to the next fighter, which was their original goal.

People tend to be impatient for no reason tho. Like damn, it won't kill you to wait. It's been two weeks, why are you asking for a new Direct already?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
that sounds boring

imagine showing off banjo in january going "oh my god!!! 5 more months til banjo!!! guh huh!!!!" every day for the next half-year
I guess it depends on the person, really. I know I'd rather have that a million times instead of the 6-month drought between Joker and E3, coupled with discussion being centered entirely around Square and Microsoft flamewars.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm annoyed by this marketing built around characters they do for Smash as well. It's really a lot of frustration and it's not fun at all (it also affects productivity in my case because when we are close to an announcement I keep checking communities online instead of doing what I'm supposed to do, and I waste a lot of time).
Additionally, a lot of fake leaker and annoying people abuse of this practice by spreading a lot of drama and misinformation, and I dislike people doing mass propaganda for characters on social media.
Characters should be added to smash for their gameplay potential and for being important in their respective franchise, not because a minority of very noisy fans make some propaganda on Twitter.

Just reveal the characters at once and stop the pain.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm annoyed by this marketing built around characters they do for Smash as well. It's really a lot of frustration and it's not fun at all (it also affects productivity in my case because when we are close to an announcement I keep checking communities online instead of doing what I'm supposed to do, and I waste a lot of time).
Additionally, a lot of fake leaker and annoying people abuse of this practice by spreading a lot of drama and misinformation, and I dislike people doing mass propaganda for characters on social media.
Characters should be added to smash for their gameplay potential and for being important in their respective franchise, not because a minority of very noisy fans make some propaganda on Twitter.

Just reveal the characters at once and stop the pain.
I can't believe John Nintendo is physically walking into your place of work and hammering your keyboard until you have no choice but to go to a forum on the internet every day.

C'mon.

Anyway, my two cents is that the surprise reveals are awesome but I think it'd be nice if Nintendo followed Tekken 7's model of showing us the projected reveal date as well as the projected release date while still keeping stuff secret. The surprise factor is a ton of fun, a rush unlike anything else. Bamco understands that.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I want Anju's Grandmother as a Jigglypuff echo.

But jokes aside, Zelda is a franchise with counless possible unique characters for Smash, it's really underrated/underrepresented.
First of all, Young Link should be decloned. It's the most unique version of Link, with the mask transformations and the Ocarina spells, Fierce Deity Link as his final smash... they can make a wonderful character, but it's still stuck as a clone.

Then, you have:
Classic Ganon
Tingle
Impa
Vaati
Ghirahim
Tetra
Midna
Skull Kid
the BOTW champions
And a bunch of more obscure but still cool characters from other less popular games, such as the Oracles games.

It's the franchise with the most wasted/unused potential along with the Kirby series.

Meanwhile I will keep hoping our boy Kass is still a great character in BOTW2 and that is another fantastic game, so Kass has 2 fantastic games under his belt...

Wouldn't say no to a BOTW champion , but i doubt they are appearing in BOTW2...

(but maybe we can have sidon goodness?)

Regarding the links, since adult link is so different now from teh other links.. i would prefer if they keep young link more vanilla and declone toon link, like giving him megaton hamer for smash attacks (power and range under a small package) a grounded up b more similar to bowser's up b. and posibly one different special.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
There's another character out there who fits this concept better

:000:

May be too big though.
*insert "why not both" meme

I can't believe John Nintendo is physically walking into your place of work and hammering your keyboard until you have no choice but to go to a forum on the internet every day.

C'mon.
No, but for sure speculation is a huge distraction and my life would be better without it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I guess it depends on the person, really. I know I'd rather have that a million times instead of the 6-month drought between Joker and E3, coupled with discussion being centered entirely around Square and Microsoft flamewars.
All in part due with leakers.

The drought gets nullified with people having fun speculation about nearly anyone and everyone because no answer is a wrong answer. People are having fun talking about radically different characters from Heihaci to Cooking Mama. Then people like say Verg or Sabi come up with their church followers shoving it in peoples' faces that so-and-so isn't getting in because of a track record validifying their existence, and people are snuffed out and forced to talk about things that are supposedly left. And then the communities of said characters proceed to get artificial hate because people complain that it's only that one character who gets talked about and how they've ruined the game and blah blah blah. This is the most attention KOS-MOS has gotten in years and it's split between either loving her or hating her, all because people and leakers alike narrow it down to her and her alone. Some people like getting the information slapped in their faces, but there are a lot who also enjoy the suspense of waiting. It keeps threads like this thriving, and when it's fun, it's really fun to talk about either the most straight-forward or wackiest of characters.

Now I'm forced at gunpoint to talk about namco's robot waifu because it doesn't matter what I say if no one else is supposedly on the table because of what the internet boogeyman leaker says now does it? :nifty:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
*insert "why not both" meme

No, but for sure speculation is a huge distraction and my life would be better without it.
then like stop going online

This is a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. If it's actively making your life worse go do something else, like knitting.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
that sounds boring

Yeah but imagine showing off whatever character(s) you like and not knowing when any of them drop. You will ritualistically check that s***.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
then like stop going online

This is a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. If it's actively making your life worse go do something else, like knitting.
It's not that easy.
The only way to fix this is by stop being a Smash fan, and I'm seriously considering it in the recent years (for instance, I still don't have Ultimate and I'm not even sure if to get it at all).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah but imagine showing off whatever character(s) you like and not knowing when any of them drop. You will ritualistically check that s***.
Check that **** for what? It'll be the same, people will speculate when the Direct will give a release date. It's a gamble at that point, hope the character you wanted most isn't #5.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's not that easy.
The only way to fix this is by stop being a Smash fan, and I'm seriously considering it in the recent years (for instance, I still don't have Ultimate and I'm not even sure if to get it at all).
Wait if you don't even have Ultimate yet why are you so concerned on it's DLC? Surely the extra 5.99 at minimum isn't what can make it or break it for you

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Wait if you don't even have Ultimate yet why are you so concerned on it's DLC? Surely the extra 5.99 at minimum isn't what can make it or break it for you
Because if one of my favorites gets in as a DLC I'm definitely going to get Ultimate instantly, no matter what.
Though the wait for informations and reveals is annoying.

I already have the money for at least one DLC character in my Nintendo account, they're there from WiiU still.

The only way I wouldn't be concerned on DLCs is if I give up on my favorites, something that I have no intention to do yet. The day I give up on my favorites will be the same day I'll stop being a fan of Smash as a whole; I still like the gameplay but for that I often go back to Melee because that's my favorite gameplay-wise.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Check that **** for what? It'll be the same, people will speculate when the Direct will give a release date. It's a gamble at that point, hope the character you wanted most isn't #5.
Idk. Ask Joker fans. They knew for a long ass time and had to wait but I doubt it was boring.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
don't you know characters are the only thing in the game
Man I wish there were a lot more legal stages.

Project M's Green Hill Zone is so simple but it works so well.

D

Deleted member

The game is looking at the character select screen and getting angry. I don't event know why anyone paid $60 for Ultimate when the game is free. I'll post it right here, free of charge:

Your move, Nintendo.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
As I said in my previous post (edited), I like the gameplay as well, but my favorite gameplay is Melee's, and when I want to play Smash I can just play Melee. If I play a newer Smash game, it's only for the characters offcourse, because for the gameplay I usually go back to Melee.

Characters are a sell point for me actually, because of this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The game is looking at the character select screen and getting angry. I don't event know why anyone paid $60 for Ultimate when the game is free. I'll post it right here, free of charge:

Your move, Nintendo.
mark zuckerburg bought instagram for millions while i got it off the play store for free lmao sucker

D

Deleted member

As I said in my previous post (edited), I like the gameplay as well, but my favorite gameplay is Melee's, and when I want to play Smash I can just play Melee. If I play a newer Smash game, it's only for the characters offcourse, because for the gameplay I usually go back to Melee.
>Plays Melee
>Has anyone other than Fox, Falco, Marth, or Captain Falcon set as main

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
>Plays Melee
>Has anyone other than Fox, Falco, Marth, or Captain Falcon set as main

Kirby actually, the worst out of them. :bobomb:

I used to play vs a friend who used Samus, and it was very fun... though Kirby vs Samus is a bit unfair when the Samus player plays well.
Anyway, I like to play the adventure mode a lot too when single player.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's fruitful, however, to hope for another Ganon being playable with an original moveset, if you care that much about it.
I don't WANT a playable Ganon. I LIKE Ganon as a Boss. I just want decloned Ganondorf and Black Shadow with Ganondorf's old moves!

I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

This is why Pokémon Trainer should have been a separate character (Imagine Joker with Arsene but Arsene is Charizard / Venusaur / Blastoise, and Joker is Red.), and Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard should have been separate characters like in Project M.
The Pokemon SHOULD be separate characters, but Trainer shouldn't. Instead, EVERY Pokemon besides Mewtwo should have a trainer in the background.

I still say Impa is the best choice.
I agree. Even if she ends up being a Sheik echo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom