• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
"So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.'"

God, this makes my blood boil every single time I see it again. Does he really need to? Uh, yes? He's kind of the ESTABLISHED MAIN VILLAIN AND HIGHLY BELOVED? Oh, but no, he's not a Nintendo creation, so make sure we don't have any of those vile crocodiles in there. That's filthy.

I'm so glad Sakurai brought him back, because as much as Miyamoto is a genius, his and Tanabe's thinking is so horrible when it comes to creations that aren't theirs... and hell, even creations that ARE.
Which is really weird, and kind of hypocritical because every Mario game uses Bowser, who almost always kidnaps Peach in each game. But Donkey Kong, who's games don't release very often, can't have K.Rool back? And K.Rool, was a character who nearly had a new persona in each game that he was in. I don't think people would want Dedede, Ridley or Ganon to completely vanish either.

It's like people who complain about Sigma being in most MMX games, when his boss fights are usually pretty different too, I wouldn't mind more newer villains like Epsilon or Lumine, but Sigma's a great villain in his own right.

D

Deleted member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBQ_udOO24

This video was uploaded November 9th. A month ago.
The sound byte added into the video is significant and noticeable. It occurs around 9 mins in, just as KOSMOS is brought up.
This is before KOSMOS speculation blew up.
Anyone care to explain why they think this sound byte exits, listen to it. Tell me what the purpose of it is. It's curious as heck to me.
Could you try to timestamp it and send it here? It would be easier for us to identify.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The time frame between Jon's twitter rant and the game awards video (with powerpoint presentation included) is not that big, one could argue because of this that both things aren't affecting one another.
I say so as well. Jon was pissed because the random Pokémon dash reference was so stretched so hard by Sabi, everyone thought Jon had foreshadowed “no fighter #5 at TGA”. It has nothing to do with his character predictions.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So to recap, the list so far is:

Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS
Knowing exactly which ports of Final Fantasy would get onto the Switch
Treasure Tracker on 3DS
Mario Tennis Aces
Ridley
Ultimate in the March 3rd Direct

Also perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 I found the posts you mentioned where he talks about Aces, but also teased Ridley
1576049709762.png

1576049721067.png

1576049729468.png

So tell me again how Jon isn't a leaker?

Shroob

Sup?
So to recap, the list so far is:

Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS
Knowing exactly which ports of Final Fantasy would get onto the Switch
Treasure Tracker on 3DS
Mario Tennis Aces
Ridley
Ultimate in the March 3rd Direct

Also perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 I found the posts you mentioned where he talks about Aces, but also teased Ridley
View attachment 252091
View attachment 252092
View attachment 252093

So tell me again how Jon isn't a leaker?
He is a leaker, no one's denying that.

But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt about KOS-MOS.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
That's not hard.

Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10 and 10-2 are the ones SE ports all the time, and they literally couldn't with 8 since they lost the source code. The hard part was him guessing they'd be on the Switch in THAT specific Direct.
I didn't see anyone else predicting it, if it were that easy, I'd imagine it woulda been a common guess.

Shroob

Sup?
I didn't see anyone else predicting it, if it were that easy, I'd imagine it woulda been a common guess.
Those 4 games are the ones they always port. They're on Steam, PSN, etc.

Them coming to SWITCH was the hard guess. The correct FF games is easy since "11 and 12 are out, 8 is lost, so it can only be 7-10-2"

BlackInk

Smash Lord
He is a leaker, no one's denying that.

But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt about KOS-MOS.
Nah, I’m pretty sure he just leaked her. Vergeben’s source was cornered on her because they couldn’t tell him she was fighter #5 and they didn’t want to harm Vergeben’s credibility.

Shroob

Sup?
Nah, I’m pretty sure he just leaked her. Vergeben’s source was cornered on her because they couldn’t tell him she was fighter #5 and they didn’t want to harm Vergeben’s credibility.
And that flies in the face of what Sabi's saying.

So someone's wrong.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The 5th Fighter won't be leaked at the Game Awards because there will be no reveal there.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
ngl, that's weird as ****, though, I don't watch a whole lot of their videos anymore, but I don't remember them ever doing this. THough I could be wrong.
I watched the entire video, it's basically one straight cut open discussion like in a podcast format. I think it's odd/ curious for this edit, it's not a thing they do. That I know of, it only happens once in this entire video.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So, I just opened Smash Ultimate, and the next Spirit Event is Bringing Back the '80s.
Foreshadowing?
Probably not.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Just noticed they even manipulate the visual at the time of the sound byte.

Just seems like a record scratch type moment to indicate that KOS-MOS is not the broadly expected Namco pick.

Having said that I'm not sure why its so hard to believe that Jon would leak something in a prediction video again. He certainly seems to have before with a number of different things, which would be incredibly hard to explain away as lucky guesses. If he's done it before why stop now?

He has clearly never wanted to be outright perceived as a "leaker," especially given his relationship to Nintendo so I don't think it's surprising that he would say he isn't leaking anything on twitter. But I guess it just seems naive to me to take that at face value. He could very easily be creating plausible deniability so as to protect himself. Or he could be telling the truth. I don't know him, nor do I know his motivations, so its hard to say either way. But I can see why someone might still think he was leaking something even after his denial.

Last edited:

Xelha

Smash Rookie
I have another theory I've been mulling over for a bit about what Jon could possibly be hinting at without directly saying the character, and it's that KOS-MOS isn't #5, but Rex and Pyra/Mythra are. Hear me out.....

It's funny Jon didn't mention Rex in his prediction, only Pyra/Mythra and KOS-MOS. That would be because Rex is the main fighter with Pyra/Mythra being part of his move-set.

And KOS-MOS would be representing....

a third form that Pyra/Mythra have that is very futuristic like KOS-MOS

I personally believe Rex is still the most likely next fighter. His Mii costume means absolutely nothing because it's exclusive to the DLC, just like Rex would be.

This is based on if Jon is actually trying to tease something though. He very well may not be and just guessing. I think it would be a vague enough that he could still be passing it off as just his predicitions,because I find his recent fascination with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a bit odd.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If GameXplain's teases were hinting at real things, then we would also be getting Arle in Smash as well. Honestly, I wouldn't try to mix their own personal speculation with any inside information they may know.

StormC

Smash Hero
FP5 is gonna be James Corbyn cause they somehow mixed the vote results, making Death Stranding the new Prime Minister of the UK
If you've seen Jeremy Corbyn's Twitter, this isn't far off from the kind of joke he would make.

UK people, if you're reading this, vote Labour. Kick the Tories out.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the whole Jon thing, correct me if I got the timeline wrong but I don't think he's made a 'prediction' since February with the FF ports, and Smash-wise I don't think he's 'predicted' anything outside of Ridley and Daisy last year (he was against the Grinch leak like everyone else, but to be fair you didn't have to be a leaker to not be on board with it). In fact he's actually made inaccurate guesses with Smash as he was adamant that Hero would be revealed closer to the release of DQ11 for the Switch rather then at E3, yet that didn't pan out. He seems to have backed off of it since I'm sure he's noticed people calling him a leaker and he doesn't want that stigma, and since Sabi and everyone has a spotlight on him at the moment he probably wouldn't want to say who FP5 is since it would definitely get him the attention he doesn't want. He could still do it, but it would definitely be contradictory and tone-deaf of him to do so if he wants to stay away from that culture and everything that comes with it.

As for Jon's feelings towards Vergeban and Sabi, going off of his posts on Resetera he's definitely not a fan of them. He's never believed them and like the rest of the forum he writes them off as piggybackers seeking their 10 minutes of fame.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If GameXplain's teases were hinting at real things, then we would also be getting Arle in Smash as well. Honestly, I wouldn't try to mix their own personal speculation with any inside information they may know.
Jon always predicts Tetronimo in smash. It's always been his go to joke prediction. Now that Tetronimo is out he's gone to Arle due to being a puzzle game character that's crossed over with Tetris.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How would the general audience feel if they were to announce a Spirit/Assist Trophy fighters pass? Happy? Pissed? Both? Etc
Don't know. I think only a few of the ATs would really appeal casual audience right off the bat. Not that any would be BOO'ed or make them mad. But I can see the casual audience caring more about Knuckles, Waluigi, Shadow and Zero, more than Krystal, Samurai Goroh and Isaac. Or y'know Klaptrap confirmed. Let's get it.

I know it has a snowball's chance of happening. But having a Mega Man and Fiora do the same thing that Chrom did, would be pretty nice. Being playable but also in an FS for another character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's probably just GameExplain screwing around, their hints probably mean nothing. And regarding the recent fascination, he probably just played and liked the game recently, who knows. Recency bias is a thing.

Also if there was a Bernie echo I'd gladly beat him up.

Also if Joker's reveal resulted in barely anyone applauding, then if we get KOS-MOS expect a completely silent audience, along with several people here *****ing about "open mindedness".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom