• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I honestly feel like this is being super underplayed.

A Sony character just became much more likely.
Eh, not really. Sony succumbing to pressure and allowing crossplay was inevitable. This more due to 3rd parties pressuring them into doing it.

D

Deleted member

Maybe something's changed since I went to bed last night, but someone admitted that they made the drunk cat leak that piggy backed off of the codename leak yesterday, which would kill it.

I know there's that other TGA leak, but I find it pretty shaky. I'm actually leaning towards KOS-MOS not being FP5, despite wanting her. If I get BTFO I don't really care since I win either way lol
The drunk cat leak is iffy. I honestly don't think it's a point in her favor. Wanna know why?

Alright guys. I made the Drunk Cat leak. It's fake. Go home.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>where should I go where they’ll listen?
>go here where they’ll listen
>no that’s garbage
Man, you know exactly what I mean. I don't want a Twitter platform because that's how a lot of this **** got started in the first place. This is why I don't make videos or podcasts or have a website or a Discord server or whatever. Like I said, I want to clear Krono's and others. This isn't a social media campaign. This is correcting a lot of wrongs.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Eh, not really. Sony succumbing to pressure and allowing crossplay was inevitable. This more due to 3rd parties pressuring them into doing it.
The biggest thing harming a Sony character was their tendency to dig their feet in the sand on things like crossplay, showcasing a refusal to work with Nintendo or Microsoft on anything. Putting out a new trailer that serves largely to announce crossplay shows they're reconsidering their hardline stance. It doesn't mean Sony is inevitable, but it does make a Sony character a much more serious option.

SKX31

Smash Master
Does make for good reading material
Me talking about the Chinese Switch release seems outright tranquil compared to this. And the release involves Nintendo working with an infamous megacorp who have ties to an Orwellian government.

Like, I've only seen that one blowing up in this thread once. And the leaker drama? Hoo boy it has seemed all-consuming at points.

I honestly feel like this is being super underplayed.

A Sony character just became much more likely.

Did it have Terry as "Dolly"? Because, in my opinion, that'd be a lot more impressive than guessing Banjo would be codenamed "Buddy".

Really wouldn't mind any Sony characters, with the top three most wanted being (regardless of status):

Kat
Kratos
Sly

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Man, you know exactly what I mean. I don't want a Twitter platform because that's how a lot of this **** got started in the first place. This is why I don't make videos or podcasts or have a website or a Discord server or whatever. Like I said, I want to clear Krono's and others. This isn't a social media campaign. This is correcting a lot of wrongs.
I’m sorry to say, but your mission is falling on a lot of deaf ears here at least because we are not the ones who wronged Kronos or anyone in any way. Most of us likely haven’t even heard of any of the names you’re throwing around.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The biggest thing harming a Sony character was their tendency to dig their feet in the sand on things like crossplay, showcasing a refusal to work with Nintendo or Microsoft on anything. Putting out a new trailer that serves largely to announce crossplay shows they're reconsidering their hardline stance. It doesn't mean Sony is inevitable, but it does make a Sony character a much more serious option.
Not to mention there was that one Famitsu Smash tournament where the Playstation division participated. I feel like people are disregarding Sony out of sheer instinct when it's shown they are more open recently. Most of the old timers who worked on Sony and Nintendo with bad blood left the two companies, the new blood controlling the two companies don't have bad history with each other.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
So if I'm hearing correctly there's evidence leaning towards KOS-MOS' inclusion?
Verge said their source said “not sure” in relation to KOS-MOS, which just sounds like he’s trying to cover himself if the text leak is real.
The "text leak" in question got mocked since the start. But since, one of its statement went right (about KH3 DLC) and two others are heavily rumored (about HZD and SMT), it has some credibility. It was including KOS-MOS as FP5.
https://twitter.com/connord60546505/status/1197563532633681921

And then Vergeben went back on this character, who was previously deconfirmed by him in his big list of deconfirmed characters. It's a deconfirmation "because his source didn't know KOS-MOS was Bamco". Now, he "doesn't know" and it's very strange to specifically "not know" for a specific character when its owner company is deconfirmed aside that.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954/931304870

And then there's the "cat leak". The first cat leak, on 4chan, was right (guessing "buddy" as Banjo codename). But another one appeared later, saying KOS-MOS is FP5. However, it's probably a copycat.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
In light of that Indie Direct, I'm calling it now: we're not getting anything at the Game Awards. Any upcoming Smash reveals and info will instead be saved for a Smash-focused Direct next week. If we do end up getting a Smash reveal at the Game Awards, it'll likely just be Fighter 5's identity and nothing else.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
KOS-MOS would be neat but sort of a strange pick to me. Even when it came out, Xenosaga didn’t leave a huge splash. The main piece of attention I saw a lot of people giving it was because of the numerous crossovers featuring the cast and its continuity with Xenogears despite being from a different company, which was kinda unprecedented in games to an extent at the time. Not that it was some obscure no-name, but I’d definitely say it was pretty niche. Then again, I think Xenoblade’s popularity recently has definitely placed a spotlight back on the older Xeno games, and KOS-MOS herself does crossover a lot as mentioned before, so it does make a bit of sense. Sakurai could have just liked her character and decided to add her in.

I just hope if she does get in, we get Fei Fong Wong later to complete the trilogy.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I still think KOS-MOS is such a strange idea. She would absolutely represent Xenosaga, and to me part of the fun of Smash is getting more eyes on deserving series' so I'd be pleased, but...dunno.

A Sony character would definitely be a big deal pick, that's for sure. I know Verge has deconfirmed the big frontrunners, but I feel like sources are all just saying "no" to basically everything in a complicated game of telephone. I wouldn't discount anyone quite yet, especially heavy hitters like Master Chief or Sora or Kratos.

Or it really is Officer Howard with Phoenix as the next pass starter, because I want to dream dammit. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In light of that Indie Direct, I'm calling it now: we're not getting anything at the Game Awards. Any upcoming Smash reveals and info will instead be saved for a Smash-focused Direct next week. If we do end up getting a Smash reveal at the Game Awards, it'll likely just be Fighter 5's identity and nothing else.
Probably just a coincidence but some people have pointed out in the past that Directs are usually a week or two after Indie Directs. Haven't personally checked to see how consistent that pattern is though.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
In case anyone needed some evidence that Sony is changing their stance towards Nintendo, there's this report I found that says Sony doesn't view Nintendo as a major rival anymore due to difference in target demographics.

link

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Probably just a coincidence but some people have pointed out in the past that Directs are usually a week or two after Indie Directs. Haven't personally checked to see how consistent that pattern is though.
It's difficult to say. Two of the Indie World's have come right before E3, so it's kind of cheating to consider the E3 presentation as a pattern of Directs following it. The rest of the time it is 50/50; sometimes there is a direct within the next 3-4 weeks and sometimes there is not.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Sony still isn’t Microsoft, though. A Microsoft character was extremely likely because not only did they allow cross play first, but they also published games on the Switch. MS is likely looking to make the console model obsolete and want people to be able to play at anything, hence project xCloud. Overall it seems they stopped caring about the Console wars. Also, they have Phil Spencer.

Sony hasn’t done anything close to what MS has. Yeah they finally allowed crossplay after pressure from 3rd parties, but they still seem interested in keeping the PS brand strong and exclusive. I see MS getting another character before Sony even gets one.

And of course Kratos will then be shown of the VGAs and I’ll end up being wrong :p

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The problem is that it’s unlikely to please Rex guys who don’t know any of the four characters. With marketing, you want to aim at the core of the audience and it happens that Kosmos is an arrow that’s perfect for the job.
I'm one of those Rex guys who didn't know a ****ing thing about Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and Persona (thought Persona was a fighting game series for the longest time before Smash), yet I'm still happy with who we got and one of the characters even introduced me to what is now one of my favorite games of all time.

Rex not making the cut was pretty disappointing for me, sure, but I sure as hell ain't suffering.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I really hope that's true, because it means that even if we get absolutely nothing Smash-related (which is entirely possible, considering Joker's reveal last year was last-minute, and Nintendo has other games they'd likely rather show off), we still won't have long to wait until the next batch of official Smash info.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm one of those Rex guys who didn't know a ****ing thing about Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and Persona (thought Persona was a fighting game series for the longest time before Smash), yet I'm still happy with who we got and one of the characters even introduced me to what is now one of my favorite games of all time.

Rex not making the cut was pretty disappointing for me, sure, but I sure as hell ain't suffering.
The pass inspired me to actually visit Persona 5 (I already loved 3 and 4 beforehand, never touched 5) and also check out Dragon Quest. I knew about Fatal Fury and obviously B-K beforehand, though lol. It's nice to be introduced to new stuff thanks to Smash.

And then there's the "cat leak". The first cat leak, on 4chan, was right (guessing "buddy" as Banjo codename). But another one appeared later, saying KOS-MOS is FP5. However, it's probably a copycat.
heh

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...what's your agenda here?

More representation for robots? ...very suspicious...
Now look, I'm not saying anything definitive, but Smashboards doesn't have Captcha, so...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In case anyone needed some evidence that Sony is changing their stance towards Nintendo, there's this report I found that says Sony doesn't view Nintendo as a major rival anymore due to difference in target demographics.

link
This is very interesting because to me I'd say that Sony shouldn't see Nintendo as a rival not because of the age difference but because of the hardware difference. A lot of older gamers, myself included, are gravitating towards having a Switch as well as a "home console" because the attractive hybrid factor of the Switch makes it convenient to play games in a way that fits into a busy schedule. Combine that with how many great niche and indy games are hitting Switch and you have a very mature system that makes a great supplement to the AAA titles that Sony/Microsoft consoles provide (while Nintendo still has shiners like Three Houses, Astral Chain, Zelda, Mario, etc).

Neat. Maybe we could really see a world where Mario, Master Chief, and Kratos collide in one game. I mean, doubtful, but that would be a dream.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The pass inspired me to actually visit Persona 5 (I already loved 3 and 4 beforehand, never touched 5) and also check out Dragon Quest. I knew about Fatal Fury and obviously B-K beforehand, though lol. It's nice to be introduced to new stuff thanks to Smash.
Yeah, being introduced to series that could potentially become new favorites is one of my favorite things about Smash. That's why there are very few characters that I'd be completely against having join the roster.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This is very interesting because to me I'd say that Sony shouldn't see Nintendo as a rival not because of the age difference but because of the hardware difference. A lot of older gamers, myself included, are gravitating towards having a Switch as well as a "home console" because the attractive hybrid factor of the Switch makes it convenient to play games in a way that fits into a busy schedule. Combine that with how many great niche and indy games are hitting Switch and you have a very mature system that makes a great supplement to the AAA titles that Sony/Microsoft consoles provide (while Nintendo still has shiners like Three Houses, Astral Chain, Zelda, Mario, etc).

Neat. Maybe we could really see a world where Mario, Master Chief, and Kratos collide in one game. I mean, doubtful, but that would be a dream.
Well put.

There's a scenario I can see where Sony would put their character in Smash if they saw Microsoft collaborate with Nintendo and decided to one-up them. And if there's one thing Sony loves doing it is to one-up Microsoft. You're putting one of your characters on Nintendo's big game? WELL WE'RE PUTTING OUR MASCOT IN IT.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not only that, Microsoft decided to put in a character who is more associated with Nintendo than themselves.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I thought that Namco Bandai was already deconfirmed.
They seem to be, but Vergeben's source apparently didn't know that KOS-MOS was owned by Bamco. When he specifically asked this source about whether FP5 is KOS-MOS, they replied with basically "I don't know", and now everyone's going wild about Vergeben is "backpedalling hard" on this. Vergeben has meanwhile said that he's as confused as everyone else about this, and asked his source to clarify. Either way, it's no guarantee for KOS-MOS.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly I do like the idea of how the Pass is giving love to series that more people should look into even if they got accolades, should be more recognizable outside of their country, or deserves to be revived in some way while showing off all different parts of video game history.

Also on the subject of all these leaks, KOS-MOS, and whatnot....

All I can say is expect the unexpected, never assume anyone is 100% guaranteed, and always hold onto the possibility of a "Deconfirmed" character popping up. Sakurai is a huge wild card when it comes to character picks.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They seem to be, but Vergeben's source apparently didn't know that KOS-MOS was owned by Bamco. When he specifically asked this source about it, they replied with basically a "I don't know", and now everyone's going wild about Vergeben is "backpedalling hard" on this. Vergeben has meanwhile said that he's as confused as everyone else about this, and asked his source to clarify. Either way, it's no guarantee for KOS-MOS.
KOS-MOS is herself in a dubious legal position, with her ownership split between Namco Bandai and Monolith Soft (the latter is now owned by Nintendo).

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
They seem to be, but Vergeben's source apparently didn't know that KOS-MOS was owned by Bamco. When he specifically asked this source about it, they replied with basically a "I don't know", and now everyone's going wild about Vergeben is "backpedalling hard" on this. Vergeben has meanwhile said that he's as confused as everyone else about this, and asked his source to clarify. Either way, it's no guarantee for KOS-MOS.
Indeed.

That's why I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst regarding her chances. A lot of this "evidence" in favor of her inclusion still looks rather flimsy to me, but I suppose we'll know for sure in just a few more days...hopefully.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS is herself in a dubious legal position, with her ownership split between Namco Bandai and Monolith Soft (the latter is now owned by Nintendo).
Precisely. My own little hopeful theory is that Vergeben's source heard something about a Monolith Soft character, and is now a bit confused about this exact legal position.
Of course, main reason why I have this theorie is because I want Elma as FP5, but hey, it could explain what's going on.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sony still isn’t Microsoft, though. A Microsoft character was extremely likely because not only did they allow cross play first, but they also published games on the Switch. MS is likely looking to make the console model obsolete and want people to be able to play at anything, hence project xCloud. Overall it seems they stopped caring about the Console wars. Also, they have Phil Spencer.

Sony hasn’t done anything close to what MS has. Yeah they finally allowed crossplay after pressure from 3rd parties, but they still seem interested in keeping the PS brand strong and exclusive. I see MS getting another character before Sony even gets one.

And of course Kratos will then be shown of the VGAs and I’ll end up being wrong :p
I'm definitely not saying that a Sony character is as likely as a Microsoft character, but it is now a true possibility. As Wunderwaft Wunderwaft mentioned, Sony doesn't view Nintendo as a major rival anymore because they are technically in two separate markets (Sony is interested in providing a strictly-home experience with an extremely powerful machine, Nintendo is interested in providing a console/handheld hybrid defined by a strong first party presence and variety of ways to play). As such, cooperating with Nintendo is not the brand betrayal it was even 5 years ago. It's sort of like Sony letting its exclusives come to PC, they view it as a distinct market so catering to it isn't harmful to the Playstation brand.

Likewise, crossplay is evidence that Sony may be turning a new leaf in regards to exclusivity. Even if it was 3rd parties who made the ultimate difference, it's highly likely a decision this big wasn't influenced solely by them. This was likely a decision that took a lot of discussion and market research before they committed to it. There's likely some underlying philosophical changes in the way Sony is now conducting themselves on this matter. It's likely we'll see more situations where Sony cooperates with another console manufacturer when it's deemed to be in their best interest. This may include getting some free advertising from the biggest fighting game of all time.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I don't know what stance to take on the KOS-MOS talk at the moment.

What I do know is Verge's more confident killlist deconfirming the likes of Phoenix, Monokuma and Kratos is getting my hopes up for the Knight again and I don't like it.

I do wonder if characters from Marvelous, Epic and Zun are still supposedly deconfirmed since I didn't see them on the latest list

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, KOS-MOS being Fighter #5 in spite of Vergeben and Sabi's kill list doesn't surprise me too much. When the list is getting so big, its not too unlikely someone would slip through the cracks from human error.

That being said, I hope it's not KOS-MOS, simply because I'd rather have Mecha-Fiora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom