• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Verge has been posting some... things recently. Here's a recap:
1. In response to someone saying KOS-MOS is a robot, Verge states she's also
Mary Magdalene
2. Beaten to answering about Dynasty Warriors and how it is fictional interpretations of real people by another user.
3. Stating Hero is the least generic anime swordsman on the roster (complete with rofl)
4. Stating BOTW Link technically did die and come back to life (in response to who would represent Jesus in a potential KOS-MOS spirit board. Wait Jesus is a character in Xenosaga?)
5. This in response to asking who is kosmo.

Uh, I'm confused.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I still think KOS-MOS is such a strange idea. She would absolutely represent Xenosaga, and to me part of the fun of Smash is getting more eyes on deserving series' so I'd be pleased, but...dunno.
To me the idea is more palatable than something like f***ing Geno, and I enjoyed SM RPG. KOS-MOS has a dedicated following outside of this fandom who do not own Super Smash that would probably buy it for her. Her dolls cost a s***load so one game and $5 would be nothing to them. I can also see Bandai Namco choosing her for promotional purposes, or perhaps since they're involved with development, they purely chose entertainment over logic. Let's be honest, girl, outside of Super Smash, their guest stars make no goddamn sense at times but they don't give a single f***. It helps that a breakout hit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 increased her exposure and she was one of the more popular characters in it.

What people haven't mentioned is that they might go Namco Musuem balls deep with what she's packaged with. Here's a niche RPG rep that comes with a ton of Tekken and Code Vein Mii outfits, a Digdug stage with Digimon stage hazards and songs from Idolmaster, Soul Calibur and Dark Soul spirits, a Godeater boss battle at the end of story mode, and a Ridge Racer assist trophy. Everything else is added to Pacman's taunt. Thank you for playing. We worked hard on the game.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Damn Indie World + State of play tommorow...WHY DO I HAVE COLLEGE EXAMS?!

Droodle

Smash Lord
KOS-MOS is herself in a dubious legal position, with her ownership split between Namco Bandai and Monolith Soft (the latter is now owned by Nintendo).
Except that's not true at all.

KOS-MOS (and Xenosaga) is 100% owned by Bandai Namco. All of her appearances (even in XC2) credit Bandai Namco. Sure the Xenoblade series is Nintendo, but nothing about Xenosaga is.

Which makes it even weirder that Verge's source was confused about who owns KOS-MOS, because it's nothing like someone like say Sora for example (who is designed by Square Enix but 100% Disney).

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
To me the idea is more palatable than something like f***ing Geno, and I enjoyed SM RPG. KOS-MOS has a dedicated following outside of this fandom who do not own Super Smash that would probably buy it for her. Her dolls cost a s***load so one game and $5 should be nothing to them. I can also see Bandai Namco choosing her for promotional purposes, or perhaps since they're involved with development, they purely chose entertainment over logic. Let's be honest, girl, outside of Super Smash, their guest stars make no goddamn sense at times but it works. It helps that a breakout hit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 increased her exposure and she was one of the more popular characters in it.

What people haven't mentioned is that they might go Namco Musuem balls deep with what she's packaged with. Here's a niche RPG rep that comes with a ton of Tekken Mii outfits, a Digdug stage with Digimon stage hazards and songs from Idolmaster, Soul Calibur spirits, a Godeater boss battle at the end of story mode, and a Ridge Racer assist trophy.
I can see all the mii costumes NAMCO has + more comming back with KOS-MOS, her stage and prolly an Echo OR Alternate costume of T-Elos.
Prolly some spirits and then some hot ass music tracks.
And i dont think they would reveal KOS-MOS by herself if she were FP5. They'd either mention a Xenosaga III remake (namco trademarked it in 2018) or a double reveal for fighter pass 2 bonus DLC which may be someone everyone wanted - like Geno or Hayabusa. Idk lol

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Code name? Fill me in
What codename leak?
What he's talking about is there are two different 4chan posts that feature an image of a drunk cat.
  • The first one correctly guessed Banjo's codename, which is "buddy". This one is had legit info. The second one is a bit different.
  • The second "Drunk Cat" leak (which you guys are probably familiar with) that said KOS-MOS is next (this post was made on September 12th), followed by Ryu Hayabusa and Reimu. This made rounds due to featuring the same phrasing as the original and has the same picture. It should be noted that there was confusion because it's easy to impersonate someone on 4chan, so it was difficult to know whether or not it was made by the same person. HOWEVER, it turned out that last night someone on the Reimu discord admitted to making the second "Drunk Cat" leak with evidence included.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, KOS-MOS being Fighter #5 in spite of Vergeben and Sabi's kill list doesn't surprise me too much. When the list is getting so big, its not too unlikely someone would slip through the cracks from human error.

That being said, I hope it's not KOS-MOS, simply because I'd rather have Mecha-Fiora.
Why not both? AND Elma?

Win win all around if you ask me, plus having both Kossy and Fiora would complete the Project X Zone 2 reunion with Chrom, Lucina, Ryu and Ken (RIP Zero and Akira Yuki tho as they’re ATs)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your spoiler is true;
Mary Magdalene
2. Beaten to answering about Dynasty Warriors and how it is fictional interpretations of real people by another user.
3. Stating Hero is the least generic anime swordsman on the roster (complete with rofl)
4. Stating BOTW Link technically did die and come back to life (in response to who would represent Jesus in a potential KOS-MOS spirit board. Wait Jesus is a character in Xenosaga?)

Uh, I'm confused.
Your spoiler is correct. There are a LOT of religious undertones throughout that series.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can see all the mii costumes NAMCO has + more comming back with KOS-MOS, her stage and prolly an Echo OR Alternate costume of T-Elos.
Prolly some spirits and then some hot ass music tracks.
And i dont think they would reveal KOS-MOS by herself if she were FP5. They'd either mention a Xenosaga III remake (namco trademarked it in 2018) or a double reveal for fighter pass 2 bonus DLC which may be someone everyone wanted - like Geno or Hayabusa. Idk lol
Like, don't get me wrong, I love Xenosaga and I'd be over the moon to finally get the HD Saga collection especially if it means people finally giving the games the respect they deserve, and if they go full SNK and use it to represent the Full Bamco Experience TM that'd be absolutely wild (though I'd be a little sad that Heihachi missed the boat again). It's near impossible to find XSIII at any kind of decent price and it's really sad to see how hurt Soraya Saga was by the amount of meddling there was and the unfortunate reception of the time. I want nothing more than a redemption story for the Saga series. The entire reason I played Xenoblade X was because Elma looked like chaos and the tone of the world they were in was far closer to Saga than Blade.

I just don't know how likely any of this is especially when the Saga fanbase has been trying to make this happen for years now. Our last big possible push was back when Harada said a petition for an HD collection would need a certain amount of signatures and that he wanted to pitch it but kept getting shot down.

All I know is. My boy the richest duck in the world is still in the running.
View attachment 251447
Finally, someone with real taste!

BlackInk

Smash Lord
To me the idea is more palatable than something like f***ing Geno, and I enjoyed SM RPG. KOS-MOS has a dedicated following outside of this fandom who do not own Super Smash that would probably buy it for her. Her dolls cost a s***load so one game and $5 would be nothing to them. I can also see Bandai Namco choosing her for promotional purposes, or perhaps since they're involved with development, they purely chose entertainment over logic. Let's be honest, girl, outside of Super Smash, their guest stars make no goddamn sense at times but they don't give a single f***. It helps that a breakout hit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 increased her exposure and she was one of the more popular characters in it.

What people haven't mentioned is that they might go Namco Musuem balls deep with what she's packaged with. Here's a niche RPG rep that comes with a ton of Tekken and Code Vein Mii outfits, a Digdug stage with Digimon stage hazards and songs from Idolmaster, Soul Calibur and Dark Soul spirits, a Godeater boss battle at the end of story mode, and a Ridge Racer assist trophy. Everything else is added to Pacman's taunt. Thank you for playing. We worked hard on the game.
This sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If KOS-MOS does happen it would explain why X got completely ignored imo. Sakurai said that even for first party characters he has to go through negotiations and X was a game that had some of the best timing to be included in the baseroster. However what makes KOS-MOS standout among the Monolith Soft characters is that she is Takahashi and his wifes brain/love child, but that brain/love child was trapped in Namco rights.

So yeah if you where Takahashi and you were approached by Sakurai, Namco and Nintendo, saying your Brain/love child is on the their DLC list I really doubt Takahashi would be against that and would most likely be super biased to give priority to KOS-MOS over the likes off Elma or Rex & Pyra

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Mary Magdalene

Uh, I'm confused.
Just sounds like regular posts in a bunch of different threads in the past couple hours unless you're trying to tell me there's some sort of hidden message in this whole thing

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait Jesus is a character in Xenosaga?
If this is a serious question, well yes and no. He's not part of the whole overall cast and doesn't do anything himself in the storyline, but he is important in the background for some of the characters, including the main villain and one of the playable cast(technically, two), as well as some of the elements and one of the organizations. Basically, he himself is not a character in the main story of Xenosaga, but he is an important background character.
Weirdly though, both Jesus and "Yeshua" are different characters in Xenosaga, although supposedly, it has something to do with the Gnostic view of dualism.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Just sounds like regular posts in a bunch of different threads in the past couple hours unless you're trying to tell me there's some sort of hidden message in this whole thing
That's what it is, just Verge being a regular member of the community.

SKX31

Smash Master
Edit (I jumped the gun here. I'll admit to that)

Here's the link. (Damnit, the imgur doesn't seem to work.)

The official Nintendo Switch page on the Chinese social media site Weibo posted a massive picture of the Smash renders as its header for its introduction to the Nintendo Switch. Without Smash having been officially announced there.

Thanks again to SneakyLink SneakyLink for pointing out the lack of FP characters, including :ult_terry:, in that picture.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Waaaaaaait a sec.

Holy mother of God.

I'm not going crazy. Am I? Weibo (Chinese twitter) might've accidentally teased something.

This is the first time anything Smash related has been shown on official Chinese social media. But the text underneath doesn't mention Smash - only "This picture shows all the characters available on the Switch" (liberally translated from Google Translate).

Hmmm..... We might have a Chinese favorite as a Post-Pass character. If I'm not going crazy that is.

Here's the link. (Damnit, the imgur doesn't seem to work, lemme try editing it in)
Except none of the fighters pass characters appear in the image so it likely means nothing.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK, think it's time to tag Warchamp7 Warchamp7 to save us from the broken image uploader.

Please save us champ.
That's what it is, just Verge being a regular member of the community.
Watch and see what will be reveal at VGA will be a ARG about no.5 and Verge was part of it all along.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Waaaaaaait a sec.

Holy mother of God.

I'm not going crazy. Am I? Weibo (Chinese twitter) might've accidentally teased something.

This is the first time anything Smash related has been shown on official Chinese social media. But the text underneath doesn't mention Smash - only "This picture shows all the characters available on the Switch" (liberally translated from Google Translate).

Hmmm..... We might have a Chinese favorite as a Post-Pass character. If I'm not going crazy that is.

Here's the link. (Damnit, the imgur doesn't seem to work, lemme try editing it in)

Link to the picture in case it still struggles.
None of the links work... Imgur seems to have taken it down or something

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If KOS-MOS does happen it would explain why X got completely ignored imo. Sakurai said that even for first party characters he has to go through negotiations and X was a game that had some of the best timing to be included in the baseroster. However what makes KOS-MOS standout among the Monolith Soft characters is that she is Takahashi and his wifes brain/love child, but that brain/love child was trapped in Namco rights.

So yeah if you where Takahashi and you were approached by Sakurai, Namco and Nintendo, saying your Brain/love child is on the their DLC list I really doubt Takahashi would be against that and would most likely be super biased to give priority to KOS-MOS over the likes off Elma or Rex & Pyra

How in the hell would that explain why X got ignored for the base roster?

SKX31

Smash Master
Except none of the fighters pass characters appear in the image so it likely means nothing.
Forgot to check for those. That's fully on me. Thanks.

Still, I do find it interesting that the official Chinese social media are using Smash renders like that. Without Smash even having been announced there.

Watch and see what will be reveal at VGA will be a ARG about no.5 and Verge was part of it all along.
Isn't that the best kind of conspiracies?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Forgot to check for those. That's fully on me. Thanks.

Still, I do find it interesting that the official Chinese social media are using Smash renders like that. Without Smash even having been announced there.

Isn't that the best kind of conspiracies?
Life itself is just a very, very complex ARG when you think about it hard enough.

So yeah, it's the best of the best.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Any updates?
KOS-MOS discussion has intensified recently (due to a 4chan post from November 20th getting KH3 ReMind correct), and it didn't help that Vergeben (or rather, his source) isn't sure about her, and there was probably backtracking there.

Also if you've heard about the second "Drunk Cat" leak that had KOS-MOS, Ryu Hayabusa, and Reimu, well last night someone on the Reimu discord admitted they made it (with picture evidence). KOS-MOS is still in the running despite this.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The rest of the Xenoblade X content that was planned for Ultimate is most likely stuck on a different planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They need a bigger gun.
Not to sound cliche but this world sucSHOW US LIIIIIIGHT FOR NOW SHOW A SIIIIIGN FOR WHERE WE CAN GOOOOOOO-

(Rie was suddenly ambushed by a high level Tyrant and was never heard from again)

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Like, don't get me wrong, I love Xenosaga and I'd be over the moon to finally get the HD Saga collection especially if it means people finally giving the games the respect they deserve, and if they go full SNK and use it to represent the Full Bamco Experience TM that'd be absolutely wild (though I'd be a little sad that Heihachi missed the boat again). It's near impossible to find XSIII at any kind of decent price and it's really sad to see how hurt Soraya Saga was by the amount of meddling there was and the unfortunate reception of the time. I want nothing more than a redemption story for the Saga series. The entire reason I played Xenoblade X was because Elma looked like chaos and the tone of the world they were in was far closer to Saga than Blade.

I just don't know how likely any of this is especially when the Saga fanbase has been trying to make this happen for years now. Our last big possible push was back when Harada said a petition for an HD collection would need a certain amount of signatures and that he wanted to pitch it but kept getting shot down.
You see, the thing is that more people are asking for it to happen since then, while other fandoms would have given up by now.

Today's climate is perfect for that s*** to finally materialize.

This sounds too good to be true...
It was hyperbole, but I sincerely expect Bandai Namco to be generous af. Their relationship with Nintendo is great to put it mildly, and both companies nonchalantly use one another to help sell each other's s*** all the time. I at least anticipate an abundance of Mii costumes.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
So what did we settle on overnight? We going full steam ahead on KOS-MOS?
No, nothings confirmed at all.

One leak thats SOMEWHAT legit says KOS-MOS.

Vergeben, if you believe him, says no KOS-MOS.

No one knows anything.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I doubt Jesus will get a spirit. Sakurai would have to negotiate rights with the Pope and we all know how stingy he is.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

No one knows anything.
Alright thanks. There was a lot of pages to skim through so I just wanted to make sure I was getting everything.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I doubt Jesus will get a spirit. Sakurai would have to negotiate rights with the Pope and we all know how stingy he is.
Sakurai knows reducing Jesus to a png would create too much backlash. With his moveset potential and popularity, there's no way he's getting in as anything less than a playable character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one knows anything.
To be fair, I believe he backed the no KOS-MOS because his source didn't realize what company KOS-MOS belonged to. Whats he learned, he backtracked.

I think the take-away from all this, Leakers included, is : Nobody knows.

This Thursday, maybe, MAYBE, we'll get a Game Awards reveal. There's absolutely no guarantee for it. The theatrical nature of the Joker reveal suited that character since it was the perfect 'calling card', that's why the reveal worked so well there. Beyond that, there's no real way guarantee that we'll get a reveal again. There's high hopes, but people shouldn't get too attached to the idea that there will be a reveal because if there isn't, they'll blame NIntendo and Sakurai when no such promise was made.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think we can say the past few weeks of speculation has been some of the most bizarre yet. One second a character is deconfirmed, the next they're still in the running, then the next 90% of possible characters get the Axe when it's only 40%, and now there's a possibility that people admitting to a lot of fake leaks are doing it for attention even if they're not a leaker and people questioning validity on known leakers.

This is feeling like an episode of a Soap Opera rather than Smash speculation.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I think the take-away from all this, Leakers included, is : Nobody knows.
This Thursday, maybe, MAYBE, we'll get a Game Awards reveal.
I believe that there will be a VGA Smash reveal. It just seems like an amazing marketing opportunity too good to pass on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom