• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Like I said X was a game that had everything in favour for the baseroster, like the least they could have done was give it a song or an AT. KOS-MOS is a character thats dear to Takahashi's heart and its basically the companies Mascot in legal rights hell, hence why Takahashi's would be biased and even would go as far to not push for Rex & Pyra as a promotional rep at the time Smash Ultimate was in development (also even applies to the original Xenoblade, seeing that it only got its content back from Smash 4), if he got the news their original Mascot would be DLC
Still doesn't make much sense.

Reminder that we had a 6 month long gap between Joker and Hero's reveals

there is no pattern

they reveal them whenever they feel like it
Let's not forget that the Joker reveal came earlier than Sakurai would've wanted, though. If he had gotten his way, I wouldn't be surprised if we had only gotten Joker's reveal until February or March.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Vergeben's source didn't know KOS-MOS belongs to Namco, then who knows what else his source doesn't know belongs to who.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If you REALLY think that Master Chief would be a bigger reveal than Banjo... then youre definitely right.

Chief would truly be the last of the gaming icons out there who's series I've played. Banjos been my "this is possible and needs to happen" character, while Chief is my pipe dream character.
For real the only reason Sakurai didn't go for Chief is cause he knows he'll never even come close to replicating that hype

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I was one of those fools who chose to believe the Ridley silhouette they teased for the Pyrosphere stage wasn't a hint towards him being a stage hazard and that he could still be playable.

Dark times...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Let's not forget that the Joker reveal came earlier than Sakurai would've wanted, though. If he had gotten his way, I wouldn't be surprised if we had only gotten Joker's reveal until February or March.
That's what I was saying too. Which is why the 3 month pattern still fits.

And again not forget that all fighters in the Pass are due for February 2020. There's certainly gonna be a reveal this month if not perhaps next.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This may not have been possible. The soundtrack to X may be owned at least partially by the composer, Hiroyuki Sawano.
Sawano might have a DQ Composer situation involving royalties and whatnot. Explains why Hero had to be moved to DLC so the composer could get a cut; also why Elma was paid DLC for Xenoblade 2 and Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen came with her

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
If you REALLY think that Master Chief would be a bigger reveal than Banjo... then youre definitely right.

Chief would truly be the last of the gaming icons out there who's series I've played. Banjos been my "this is possible and needs to happen" character, while Chief is my pipe dream character.
I'm on the same boat regarding Chief. I've always heard of Chief, but I've never truly played his games until recently with The Master Chief Collection. Now that I'm enjoying my time with the series a lot and knowing the impact Halo has had in the industry plus Chief's status as a gaming icon, I'd love to see the man himself.

I'd still prefer seeing Dante over Chief, but I'd have no problem at all if Chief actually made it in.

D

Deleted member

Sawano might have a DQ Composer situation involving royalties and whatnot. Explains why Hero had to be moved to DLC so the composer could get a cut; also why Elma was paid DLC for Xenoblade 2 and Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen came with her
On the plus side, Sawano's probably far more reasonable to deal with and doesn't deny war crimes (to my knowledge).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Shulk was paid DLC too though right? Not to mention Sawano is a bigger deal and used X music for his own sales iirc

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Do know though:ultjoker:wasn't originally planned to be revealed there. He was last minute.
But they did it there anyway.

Because Nintendo felt like it.

And that proves that they can reveal whoever whenever they want. They don’t have to follow a pattern even if it seems logical

Only thing we know for sure is that it’ll come by February because that’s the deadline they set for themselves publicly

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
For real the only reason Sakurai didn't go for Chief is cause he knows he'll never even come close to replicating that hype
Which is WHY, in a theoretical world, if Fighter #5 WAS going to be the last character, a Chief reveal at the VGAs would be fitting...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shulk was paid DLC too though right? Not to mention Sawano is a bigger deal and used X music for his own sales iirc
Shulk and Fiora were most likely added to entice people to buy the expansion pass and afaik there’s no royalty situation for ACe or Yoko Shimomura

it’s worth noting Sawano is signed to Sony Records

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'm on the same boat regarding Chief. I've always heard of Chief, but I've never truly played his games until recently with The Master Chief Collection. Now that I'm enjoying my time with the series a lot and knowing the impact Halo has had in the industry plus Chief's status as a gaming icon, I'd love to see the man himself.

I'd still prefer seeing Dante over Chief, but I'd have no problem at all if Chief actually made it in.
Mario is Nintendo.

Master Chief is Xbox.

Objectively it'd be the biggest addition in Smash history.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But they did it there anyway.

Because Nintendo felt like it.

And that proves that they can reveal whoever whenever they want. They don’t have to follow a pattern even if it seems logical

Only thing we know for sure is that it’ll come by February because that’s the deadline they set for themselves publicly
I still got a feeling FP5 will be at least revealed this month given its been 3 months since Terry so they probably have the model for the character made already.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe it's just me but Ultimate speculation has felt way worse than Smash 4 speculation
Iunno maybe I'm just more bitter and cynical than I was back then.
Oh I meant as far as "droughts" were concerned, lol. Like, Terry just came out last month. We're not in a drought.

In Smash 4 we had the month and a half after Diddy Kong and Little Mac go by until the April Direct when we usually had two characters per month, the six months between newcomers reveals for Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina, and the radio silence up until Mewtwo's release and after Ryu's release.

And then in Brawl the initial E3 2006 trailer was all there was for an entire year, more or less, outside of a random update that showed off Fox after six months.

This isn't a drought at all and people going stir crazy over it is...kinda sad, lol.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Mario is Nintendo.

Master Chief is Xbox.

Objectively it'd be the biggest addition in Smash history.
If not the biggest, certainly one of the biggest. He'd be up there with Cloud, Sonic, Snake & Joker in terms of sheer hype, surprise and importance.

Another character that would rival Chief in hype, surprise and impact would be Kratos due to him being pure Sony and one of Sony's biggest success stories in the past few years with God of War 2018.

D

Deleted member

Veterans of Smash 4 speculation, please tell me your war stories. I am interested in hearing about them,
I just spent the whole time waiting for Shulk.

ESRB leak (with "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac") was a hell of a time.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Oh I meant as far as "droughts" were concerned, lol. Like, Terry just came out last month. We're not in a drought.

In Smash 4 we had the month and a half after Diddy Kong and Little Mac go by until the April Direct when we usually had two characters per month, the six months between newcomers reveals for Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina, and the radio silence up until Mewtwo's release and after Ryu's release.

And then in Brawl the initial E3 2006 trailer was all there was for an entire year, more or less, outside of a random update that showed off Fox after six months.

This isn't a drought at all and people going stir crazy over it is...kinda sad, lol.
Man the drought after Ryu's reveal was awful. Which, honestly made Cloud's reveal all the more shocking, hype and satisfying.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I still got a feeling FP5 will be at least revealed this month given its been 3 months since Terry so they probably have the model for the character made already.
I see where you’re coming from, don’t get me wrong.

Just keep in mind Nintendo can be weird sometimes and nothing is guaranteed to happen this month.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I see where you’re coming from, don’t get me wrong.

Just keep in mind Nintendo can be weird sometimes and nothing is guaranteed to happen this month.
True, but I'm still certain they're releasing FP5 this week. VGA I feel is an missed opportunity otherwise if they don't.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Veterans of Smash 4 speculation, please tell me your war stories. I am interested in hearing about them,
Dark Pit and Dr. Mario garnered an UNHOLY amount of salt. I remember one dude literally wanted DLC to remove Dr. Mario which, isn’t that the OPPOSITE of how DLC works?

Oh and death threats. LOTS of death threats to Sakurai

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Robin and Lucina's reveal was quite a time due to it debunking the Gematsu Leak. As someone who defended Chrom and wanted him in the game, that reveal was chaos amongst a lot of people.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
watch as we do get fighter 5 at the vgas, but it's somebody none of y'all wanted

I'm betting y'all are still gonna be complaining about a supposed "drought" like a day later

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm not sure if Fighter 5 is KOS-MOS.
There are a few reasons why I think this:
1# Vergeben already deconfirmed Namco-Bandai. I am aware of his source's confusion, but this shouldn't be an issue since KOS-MOS belongs to Bamco.

2# Fighter 5 will most likely be revealed at TGA and I think that is the wrong kind of audience to show off KOS-MOS. Joker has the excuse that his game "Persona 5" was nominated for Game of the Year and won Best RPG.

3# If we take his word as truth, then Geoff Keighley has stated that no leaks. We have multiple "leaks" saying that Fighter 5 is KOS-MOS.

I would have expected a western-favored character to be shown off as Fighter 5.
If KOS-MOS does make it into Smash, then congrats.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Who wouldn't want to see Cheif and Samus Fight the internet's been talking about it for years

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I was one of those fools who chose to believe the Ridley silhouette they teased for the Pyrosphere stage wasn't a hint towards him being a stage hazard and that he could still be playable.

Dark times...
I was one of those fools who believed Ashley not being shown off as an Assist Trophy in the E3 2018 direct was a good sign for her chances.

Also dark times.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if Fighter 5 is KOS-MOS.
There are a few reasons why I think this:
1# Vergeben already deconfirmed Namco-Bandai. I am aware of his source's confusion, but this shouldn't be an issue since KOS-MOS belongs to Bamco.

2# Fighter 5 will most likely be revealed at TGA and I think that is the wrong kind of audience to show off KOS-MOS. Joker has the excuse that his game "Persona 5" was nominated for Game of the Year and won Best RPG.

3# If we take his word as truth, then Geoff Kelli (please correct me on his name) has stated that no leaks. We have multiple "leaks" saying that Fighter 5 is KOS-MOS.

I would have expected a western-favored character to be shown off as Fighter 5.
If KOS-MOS does make it into Smash, then congrats.
Yeah. Given how niche she and her series is it would be a bad idea to reveal KOS-MOS at the Game Awards.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

y'all remember the Ryu-Cloud period with the Shovel Knight rumours and amiibo.

yeesh.

D

Deleted member

Robin and Lucina's reveal was quite a time due to it debunking the Gematsu Leak. As someone who defended Chrom and wanted him in the game, that reveal was chaos amongst a lot of people.
R.I.P. to all Chorus Kids supporters. Shulk still made it and Chrom at least got lucky for Ultimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dark Pit and Dr. Mario garnered an UNHOLY amount of salt. I remember one dude literally wanted DLC to remove Dr. Mario which, isn’t that the OPPOSITE of how DLC works?

Oh and death threats. LOTS of death threats to Sakurai
Smash 4 speculation was the proof that a lot of fans prefer fuming at the CSS to actually playing the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah. Given how niche she and her series is it would be a bad idea to reveal KOS-MOS at the Game Awards.
What if she’s NOT the only Smash reveal there, I.e. they reveal the first post pass/season 2 fighter as well?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was one of those fools who believed Ashley not being shown off as an Assist Trophy in the E3 2018 direct was a good sign for her chances.

Also dark times.
I was the fool that stuck around for nearly 3 years hyping and promoting and hoping for Snake, in base or DLC, while other people looked at me in disgust that I wanted character who "didn't fit in" back. Dark times indeed.

Dude, Snake speculation for Smash For sucked so hard.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it came out swinging with not only a character that was previously denied entry but then it was followed up by a character everyone wanted but didn't expect due to his series dying and a character no one had even thought to suggest jokingly.

Then there was along period of nothing before Rosalina which threw people expecting no more Marios or Bow Jr and Waluigi before her (repeat that for Dasy come Ultimate)

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'd say Brawl and Smash 4's hype season were better. Smash 4 updated viewers every weekday, and once Brawl got off the ground with the Dojo, it was nonstop fun. You got to learn about assist trophies, pokemon, stages, music, game modes, little details Sakurai pointed out, final smashes, or just funny photos.

Meanwhile... a majority of Ultimate's speculation has been on this one Fighters Pass with barely any daily news from Sakurai, with a majority of everything being reserved for directs. Plus most of Ultimate's basegame roster was already revealed thanks to EVERYBODY IS HERE removing veteran speculation, pushing Ultimate's speculation primarily on, "Who's are the newcomers?"

That's just my experience, though. I didn't join Smashboards until after Joker's reveal.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai didn't add any Xenoblade X songs because Sawano's music ****ing blows

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom