• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yo, I just got off from DMing a 9-hour D&D session (why yes, I just received my PhD in being a virgin), and no way am I reading all this **** that happened today, anyone wanna tl;dr? Pretty please?

Ladies and gentleman, my source just got back to me with a new list of deconfirmations. Fighter pass character number 5 is not any of the following:

-A character from Marvel comics
-A character from DC comics
-A character currently serving in the US Senate
-A character from the comedy television show "The Office"
-A character from the anime "My Hero Academia"
-A character from the Disney channel movie "High School Musical"
-A character from the television show "Spongebob Squarepants"
-A character from the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"
-A character from the YouTube channel MrBeast
-A character from the musical "Grease"
-A character from the comedy television show "The Simpsons"
-A character from the Nintendo of Japan staff
-A character from Happysoft
-A character from the Christmas special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
-A character from the novel "Old Yeller"
-A character from the Bible
-A character from Fox News
-A character from Geico
-A character from the New England Patriots
-A character from GameFAQS

That's all my source would confirm for me so far. Working to find out more specifics. Will update when I learn more info.
Don't believe this guy, I know for a fact that Bill S. Preston, Esq. is Fighter 5, with Ted Theodore Logan as his Echo.

That didn’t stop Banjo or Terry.
Name one of their games that's a flop.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yo, I just got off from DMing a 9-hour D&D session (why yes, I just received my PhD in being a virgin), and no way am I reading all this **** that happened today, anyone wanna tl;dr? Pretty please?

Don't believe this guy, I know for a fact that Bill S. Preston, Esq. is Fighter 5, with Ted Theodore Logan as his Echo.

Basically Verge returned with an updated kill list. But he also mentioned how KOS-MOS may not be out.

Grains of salt as usual.

Shroob

Sup?

I'm not agreeing with whoever that is but

Nuts and Bolts

Or the 2 GBA games for Banjo since they're soo obscure and unknown that basically no one knows they exist, so financially they are a flop.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
KOS-MOS is cool and also a cutie and I'd be happy to see her in Smash, despite never having touched a Xeno series game like ever lol
honestly Kosmos's design is the best thing about her debut series (Xenosaga) and also requires literally 0 experience with the game to appreciate. if you can call it a game. she's namco's cross-over-queen not because her series is beloved and well-known but because she's a hot android with guns in every orifice and of course you want that in every cross-over.

i liked saga's premise enough to go through episode 1 (albeit with cheats by the end because i couldn't be ****ed grinding for levels) and couldn't bother watching a walkthrough of episode 2.

Shroob

Sup?
Waaaaaaaait a minute.

Now Verg's saying Bamco is out, but KOS MOS still has a shot?

I'll take backpeddling for 500, Alex.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's kind of interesting the leakers are going the Guess Who route. Perhaps they're scared to flat out reveal who it is? There may be some trouble going on behind the scenes in leak land. Not that that would be surprising. It's the equivalent of smuggling goods.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Screenshot_20191209-001147_YouTube.jpg

This is PapaGenos's prediction, and I largely agree.
But I got a feeling in my gut, which probably isn't constipation, that if we're getting 11 DLC characters (don't forget Plant Boi), we're getting all 16 WoL Dummy slots filled.
So my final 5 would be Spyro, Lara Croft, Heihachi, Dante, and Master Chief.
The double dip pass!
Replace Dante with Kratos if we live in the Matrix and Sony is willing to put a character into Smash.

And if Nintendo gets in on the DLC, well...
First Party DLC.png

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Waaaaaaaait a minute.

Now Verg's saying Bamco is out, but KOS MOS still has a shot?

I'll take backpeddling for 500, Alex.
yep

It's a very... weird scenario that doesn't completely sit well w/ me.

Like I can sorta get the reasoning, I but primarily consider her a Namco character more than anything else.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Technically, all these characters have a legacy and relevance. People just pretend it doesn’t exist (as if it improves their fighter’s chances. Also SNK apparently was struggling for awhile till it hit the switch. There were articles, but Terry bogard’s smash presence buried the data.
Not exactly. Although a lot of SNK's projects were on mobile or China / SEA (Lesley Black Velvet's and D019's region) focused, so those things got buried here.

Since 2015 (the Chinese buyout) SNK has had:

* Two console projects (KOF XIV / SamSho) with a third (XV) on the way. Successful enough that SamSho got to EVO.
* Loads of mobile games (with a lot of them getting Chinese releases first, such as the SamSho MMORPG. That MMORPG was also published by Tencent, so that's that connection too).
* King of Fighters Destiny, a Chinese-produced 3D anime (which also got a mobile game).
* Cameos in the weirdest places, such as KOF skins (Iori, Athena) in the LoL clone Mobile Legends: Bang Bang (no, really, that's its full title. And yeah, Riot did win a lawsuit in China against ML.)

And that's in addition to the loads of ports on the Switch. So the turnaround was in full force already by the time the Switch hit.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The more interesting thing I feel:

If it IS KOS-MOS

And Ryu Hyabusa is FP2-1

That kinda confirms Drunken Cat part 2 as being legit, meaning Reimu.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ben Holt Ben Holt

I doubt it's a Spirit being promoted. That may happen in future DLC but the plan for this current Fighters Pass seems to be to introduce something new to Smash.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
View attachment 251470
This is PapaGenos's prediction, and I largely agree.
But I got a feeling in my gut, which probably isn't constipation, that if we're getting 11 DLC characters (don't forget Plant Boi), we're getting all 16 WoL Dummy slots filled.
So my final 5 would be Spyro, Lara Croft, Heihachi, Dante, and Master Chief.
The double dip pass!
Replace Dante with Kratos if we live in the Matrix and Sony is willing to put a character into Smash.

And if Nintendo gets in on the DLC, well...
View attachment 251471
I personally don't see what makes Ryu or even Crash more likely than other characters.

Ryu started from the Google theory and Crash really only has his remastered games going for him.

I guess Reimu has had a pretty consistent fan base for quite awhile. But I don't see what makes her likely also.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I personally don't see where the likeliness of Ryu or even Crash is coming from.

Ryu started from the google theory and Crash really only has his remastered games going for him.
Ryu's the Drunken Cat part2 that said "KOS MOS as FP5 and Ryu/Reimu as part of FP2."

Currently unconfirmed, of course.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter what points you bring up that could help a character get in Smash. Anyone can come up with 5 reasons that a character could be added and that doesn't make them anymore likely than they are. Your posts are beginning to become more and more obsessively obnoxious.
Okay... it seems like you’re kinda frustrated about something else.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I personally don't see where the likeliness of Ryu or even Crash is coming from.

Ryu started from the google theory and Crash really only has his remastered games going for him.
I'd say Ryu's coming from the fact he's one of, if not the last NES icon to evolve past its early growing phase, the most iconic video-game ninja bar none, and is Koei Tecmo's baby and we all know Koei Tecmo and their association with Nintendo by this point.

Out of every other 3rd party character, I'd put his chances greater than most.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Ryu's the Drunken Cat part2 that said "KOS MOS as FP5 and Ryu/Reimu as part of FP2."

Currently unconfirmed, of course.
About Drunk Cat...

someone in the Reimu discord is taking credit for it. With picture evidence

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I guess Reimu has had a pretty consistent fan base for quite awhile. But I don't see where her likeness is coming from either.
Hayabusa started with the 5ch leak. While he never really disappeared, He had a HUGE resurgence in September before Terry was revealed due to IAMShifty claiming Ryu's coming. At the time, Ryu was considered a front runner for FP5 after Terry's announcement.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Basically Verge returned with an updated kill list. But he also mentioned how KOS-MOS may not be out.

Grains of salt as usual.
Oh, who's on that kill list? From what I gather, Phoenix Wright is one of them.

Also, did we backpedal on Bandai Namco then?
I'm not agreeing with whoever that is but

Nuts and Bolts

Or the 2 GBA games for Banjo since they're soo obscure and unknown that basically no one knows they exist, so financially they are a flop.
From what I could find, Nuts & Bolts sold okay. Got any source for the GBA games being a flop? Because being obscure doesn't mean they flopped financially, that just means they're more disposable handheld spin-offs like was the norm.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'd say Ryu's coming from the fact he's one of, if not the last NES icon to evolve past its early growing phase, the most iconic video-game ninja bar none, and is Koei Tecmo's baby and we all know Koei Tecmo and their association with Nintendo by this point.

Out of every other 3rd party character, I'd put his chances greater than most.
I can understand that. I just think the "last major X that is unrepresented" logic is flawed. It makes it sound like that character only deserves to get in because it's the last. Not because they actually deserve it.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
If true, wouldn't that severely harm KOS-MOS' chances?
It'd hurt her, but most of her popularity now is coming from the GA leak which happened after the Drunk Cat leak. So she'd still be a frontrunner.

That said, I feel as though we are in a phase where even frontrunners are on shaky ground.
Any character is potentially fair game, even of they've been disconfirmed.

Although I find it odd that Vergeben backtracked around KOS-MOS's chances, and Sabi hasn't disconfirmed her either. That said, I am starting to think that the known leakers are being duped at this point so even if they disconfirm her, she can potentially still happen.

Last edited:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I’m just hoping that no real leaks emerge before TGA so that we can all be surprised as to who this #5 character is, cause the wait is killing meeeeeee

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can understand that. I just think the "last major X that is unrepresented" logic is flawed. It makes it sound like that character only deserves to get in because it's the last. Not because they actually deserve it.
The fact that it is an icon in both the retro and modern era is the primary point of that statement. The fact that it's the one of the last ones of the bunch just serves to highlight that point, not take away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom