• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Same, I enjoy my sackboy thread, but MAN what I would give for it to have even half of what Genos getting
I wrote a six page essay about an Echo I want, from an acclaimed Bandai Namco fighting game series, from my phone. Said character is popular enough to be an EVO headliner and paid DLC in their home series. Her character reveal trailer had more views than quite a few game reveal trailers on the same channel. She has a full-on biography and (including spin-offs and cameos) has appeared in over 5 games, and was mentioned in even more. The support group here consists of me, a person who only wants the character she's an Echo of, and the creator who made the thread simply to separate the two of them. So, basically it's just me. I'll settle for half of supporters in the Sackboy thread lol. The literal Joker playing card has more supporters.

The character support here makes no sense. If the aforementioned character got in Smash or was perceived to get in, her support would increase 100 fold overnight. So, imagine how awesome it'd be if we felt like every (legit) character had a shot?

I support pretty much any video game character, and I don't only focus on the ones I like and/or think are going to happen (largely due to popularity within the community). I've taken time to explain why characters I have no attachment to should get in and how. Especially if they would be fun outside of their home series. But at the end of the day, whoever they put in this game would be fun. It doesn't matter where they come from. True, that might make it a little more special (or perhaps exponentially so), but you may very well fall in love with a character you know little to nothing about. Sometimes that's straight up better, IMO. Do I care about Fornite? No. Do I think Fortnite in Smash would be fun? Absolutely. That's just how Smash works.

But yeah... keep rooting for Little Big Planet! It would be cool. It does make sense. It's just... this website doesn't at times. This isn't a competition. This is a celebration of videogames. Why is it so... compartmentalized? For lack of a better word.

Verge messed up and wrongly deconfirmed a bunch of companies, and some people were stumped. And I was just sitting here thinking about the boatload of awesome characters that didn't get snapped that could've been in. Without even doing research, all I had to do was take a glance at the less active support threads on here lol.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

So who would y’all put as your top 4 for DLC wants.
Rex & Pyra
Shantae
Phoenix
Reimu
I could go into the reasons why for each character but they all mostly boil down to “played them when they came out and loved them + no other fighter is like them”.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

My top four hasn't really changed, aside from my fifth one. Sticking to top 4, I actually have swapped out someone, before this whole Fighter 5 mess has started to get messy! For the most it has been pretty consistent.

1. Sora-he's shot up to being my most wanted back after the ballot from Smash 4 ended. I do think he has a good shot to actually get into Ultimate. The requests for him has gotten insane during this whole DLC speculation cycle alone, and if Nintendo and Sakurai are listening for post-pass as they say they are, I would not be surprised to see him there eventually. Sora has great move set potential, and would be one of the more interesting sword users that we have within the roster. I've said it many times, I also think he would completely push the whole magic/sword user much further than Robin and Hero would.

2. Crash-I don't think this one needs much of an explanation. Crash just fits with Smash. It just surprising that it hasn't happened yet. He fits in with characters like Mario and Sonic, and just seeing those guys together with Crash would just be nuts and another rival would be fufilled, and of corse Crash would have a great moveset, and we could always go for another mascot type character.

3. Dante-The one I swapped out, but, next to Leon and Phoenix, Dante is probably the next best bet for a Capcom character. He's gotten pretty popular with Smash fans for the past year or so. Dante would crazy in Smash, and of course we could fill Kamiya's dream in having both of his main characters in Smash! Who wouldn't want to see Dante vs. Bayonetta.

4. 2B-Okay, this one may actually be the darkhorse pick of my wants. Probably even more so than Sora, but at least Sora has somewhat of a chance. I would f*cking LOVE 2B, besides this DLC so far doesn't even have a female character and I know it doesn't matter that much, but having more females within the roster isn't a bad thing. She would be almost another Joker-like character with her playstyle and if you've played Nier Automata you probably know what I mean.

As for who my 5th would've been it would be Phoenix, I've been replaying Phoenix Wright during this whole Capcom in or out mess started happening, and honestly I think he has the best shot for now with being our fifth character. The one who had my fifth spot originally was Leon, and we all know what happened with that sadly. RIP Resident Evil, you were a good candidate. Yeah, these are pretty much my picks.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I still think the reason why people don’t trust verge & sabi and calling all this leakbait is because their most wanteds are not 5 and they’re tired of the deconfirmations*

people back then said that :ultincineroar:&:ulthero: were leakbait realisticly because they look disappointing and want someone else like decidueye and sora but look what happened then

I get the whole joker 2 weeks thing but that dosent mean the sources sabi and verge had are getting fead leakbait it’s just like what I said up there*

I still trust verge sabi and that noa source. Verge and noa source saying it’s not namco is enough for me to believe namco isn’t 5 and if they say this character isn’t 5 then it isn’t 5
What is with you and your hate boner for Namco? lol

I don't completely disregard what Vergeben is putting out there, but damn near every post I read from you basically amounts to "No Namco, no Namco, no Namco" and I'm getting tired of seeing it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Number 4: Kazuma Kiryu

This ones the character I expect to actually make it in, because Sega is extremely easy to work with so far and because nobody actually expects him, They've always liked picking characters nobody expects. There's not a whole lot that would set him apart from other characters on the roster but his series is great enough that it deserves the exposure.

Number 3: Phoenix and Maya

I put them as a duo because I believe if Phoenix made it in they would use his MVC3 moveset as a base and Maya is heavily featured in that moveset.

Number 2: Professor Layton

I personally view his series as the 2000's castlevania. As in a third party series that's so closely associated with Nintendo that it just kinda fits in with Nintendo's other titles. It's one of my favorite series of all time and I think Hershell could bring some interesting gameplay. Luke could be like Morgana, he shows up in the taunts, victory screens and final smash. Since they are always together.

Number 1: Sora

Yeah, yeah. A generic answer, but man. Kingdom hearts is one of the series from my childhood that left an impact on me the most, alongside Sonic, Pokemon, Megaman and Metal slug. All the others are in smash now, so if we got Sora I could have the ultimate childhood crossover between the game series that shaped my childhood. I used KH1 Sora as the reference picture because that's the most likely design he'd have in Smash, his red pajamas are too iconic.
Great choices! Professor Layton and Phoenix are my favorites and most wanted for Smash. Not played Yakuza, but from what I've seen Kiryu would be a brutal but hilarious fighter, perfect for Smash bros. slapstick. I've talked about my distaste of Sora before, but I can't deny he would be a megaton character announcement and would make a lot of people happy.

Also...
his red pajamas are too iconic.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

1. Kyo Kusanagi (duh)
2. Three Houses rep (either Byleth or Edelgard)
3. Reimu
4. Chun-Li

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Darkrai
MapleStory rep
Dungeon Fighter Rep
Shinguuji Korekiyo

Hexodus

Smash Cadet

Might as well make two lists, considering my biases.

Normal Company Picks:
  1. Phoenix Wright: love the games, love the character, MvC3 shows he can work in a fighting game by giving him an "accidental/pacifist" moveset themed around the main activities in the game (collecting and presenting evidence, etc), similar to how the Animal Crossing characters and Wii Fit Trainer work. At the same time, the fact he's already been in a fighting game makes me slightly less hungry for him than...
  2. Hershel Layton: Ditto the whole "love the games and character." He's a competent swordfighter who tends to fence with whatever's laying around (pipes, etc), and can MacGyver machine guns, hangliders, and small aircraft out of random junk. Mix in some creative incorporation of the actual *puzzle* aspects of Layton, and you have the potential for the kind of moveset that I loved seeing in Smash 4's newcomers.
  3. Sora: I've never played Kingdom Hearts, but I have friends that have, and I want Sora for their sake. And what I've seen from Sora fans suggest, he definitely has the potential for a good moveset and some neat gimmicks.
  4. Mother 1!Giygas: My token "1st-party character whose series is already in the game" pick. Honestly, I just want him to have a 3d render, and for each of the three Mother games to have a single rep. I love Ninten, but Ness stole his identity the second he came into existence, so I don't have much hope for him. Ninten could maybe work as an echo, if his specials pull from the PSI that's only found in Mother 1 (4th-D Slip as a teleport recovery, PK Beam as a side special, Darkness as the PK Flash/Freeze neutral B equivalent, etc). It's... the fact that he and Ness look so similar that's the problem.

Indie Hours:
  1. Quote: as far as I'm aware, the three most influential Japanese indie games are probably Yume Nikki, Touhou, and Cave Story. A lot of more recent indies, including western indies, have at least one of these games somewhere in their DNA. Cave Story is the grandaddy of indie Metroidvanias, and I wouldn't mind more gunner-type characters in the game. Bonus if Curly is an Alph-style alt or an echo fighter.
  2. Reimu: it's a hard pick between Yume Nikki and Touhou. On the one hand, I'm more personally aware of Yume Nikki's impact on both the Japanese and western Indie RPG scene, if only because I know more about RPGs than about bullet hells. On the other hand... Yume Nikki has technically never even been finished, while Touhou is an established indie series with a lot of popularity in Japan, and a small but healthy cult following in the west. I'll go with Reimu, a bullet-hell inspired moveset could be a lot of fun. However, if there are any Madotsuki fans on these forums who have ideas for movesets to give her, I'd love to see them. I think the reason I can't think of a Madotsuki moveset is because I don't know her well enough.
  3. The Knight/Little Ghost: One of the two indies it feels like Nintendo's been promoting a lot lately is Hollow Knight. Due to both that, and the fact they're not touched by the stain of assist/spirit/costume hell, they feel like the most likely out of western indie characters right now. Haven't played the game, but I have a healthy appreciation for it. I love watching videos analyzing its lore and game mechanics. It's just a neat game.
  4. Frisk: Honestly think they make more sense as an UT rep than Sans would (despite his popularity), which is why I'm glad Sans is probably banned to costume hell forever. The bullet-hell-lite aspect could be illustrated by having many of Frisk's tilts and smash attacks actually be them dodging bullets made by an offscreen monster, which would allow them to represent many of the monsters in Undertale, indirectly. I think a gimmick based on the "soul modes" mechanic, where some boss fights change the physical properties of the in-game avatar (green can't dodge attacks or escape from battles but has a bullet-deflecting shield, yellow fires ranged projectiles, etc), could be incorporated in a similar way to how Shulk can turn on different Monado Arts. So, for example a "green mode" translated to Smash could be slower and have worse recovery, but compensate by gaining a Link/Hero style projectile-deflecting shield.
(I know I went into more detail on Frisk, but... all the other characters have enough supporters that people already have a decent idea for their moveset potential. Which is also why I'd like to know if there are any Madotsuki supporters who have ideas for her moveset.)

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Wishlists? Man, this game's roster is just so perfect already. Wright and Layton are both dream characters of mine and it's crazy to think they're on the table. Xenoblade X was dangerously close to my game of the decade and I'd really like Elma; Skyrim and the Dragonborn are in much the same situation. Outside of that? I'd prefer characters that my friends want, that would cause a big stir, or would come with a lot of history or music.

Oh, and if Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition makes it in, it's over. Quitting my job and going full-time entering Smash tournaments.

D

Deleted member

What is with you and your hate boner for Namco? lol

I don't completely disregard what Vergeben is putting out there, but damn near every post I read from you basically amounts to "No Namco, no Namco, no Namco" and I'm getting tired of seeing it.
Sorry about that, I not against namco I would like to see Lloyd & heihachi & nightmare sorry if you think I had somthing against it.

and I was referring to kos-mos because you know why and it’s getting me riled up.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Top 4 DLC wants:
1. Steve, currently my most wanted
2. Heavy, TF2 is a top 3 game that I still play to this day
3. Reimu, music selection alone would be neat
4. Master Chief, recently got back into this series thanks to Halo MCC adding Reach

Bonus fifth character
5. Otto Matic

Plank08

Smash Lord
I wrote a six page essay about an Echo I want, from an acclaimed Bandai Namco fighting game series, from my phone. Said character is popular enough to be an EVO headliner and paid DLC in their home series. Her character reveal trailer had more views than quite a few game reveal trailers on the same channel. She has a full-on biography and (including spin-offs and cameos) has appeared in over 5 games, and was mentioned in even more. The support group here consists of me, a person who only wants the character she's an Echo of, and the creator who made the thread simply to separate the two of them. So, basically it's just me. I'll settle for half of supporters in the Sackboy thread lol. The literal Joker playing card has more supporters.

The character support here makes no sense. If the aforementioned character got in Smash or was perceived to get in, her support would increase 100 fold overnight. So, imagine how awesome it'd be if we felt like every (legit) character had a shot?

I support pretty much any video game character, and I don't only focus on the ones I like and/or think are going to happen (largely due to popularity within the community). I've taken time to explain why characters I have no attachment to should get in and how. Especially if they would be fun outside of their home series. But at the end of the day, whoever they put in this game would be fun. It doesn't matter where they come from. True, that might make it a little more special, but you may very well fall in love with a character you know little to nothing about. Sometimes that's straight up better, IMO. Do I care about Fornite? No. Do I think Fortnite in Smash would be fun? Absolutely. That's how Smash works.

But yeah... keep rooting for Little Big Planet! It would be cool. It does make sense. It's just... this website doesn't at times. This isn't a competition. This is a celebration of videogames. Why is it so... compartmentalized? For lack of a better word.

Verge messed up and wrongly deconfirmed a bunch of companies, and some people were stumped. And I was just sitting here thinking about the boatload of awesome characters that didn't get snapped that could've been in. Without even doing research, all I had to do was take a glance at the less active support threads on here lol.
Just curious, what is the character your talking about?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

1. Literally anyone from Three Houses. Anyone. A house leader, Byleth, Cyril, Gatekeeper, the school janitor, the cats and dogs, Claude's wyvern. I'm not kidding when I say I'd play as anyone. However, if I HAD to pick who I want, it'd be Claude, but unless Sakurai was gonna do a Pokemon starter thing and pick whatever house leader he felt like picking, it's not happening. #SadBoys

2. Klonoa. PLS Namco revive this series it's so good and trust me he plays nothing like Sonic despite his design.

3. Tails- Because favorite Sonic character. No other reason :^)

4. Spyro- Because cute dragon and I have a lot of connection with this franchise compared to Crash. I need to play more Crash games btw; I only played 2 and I loved it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Sorry about that, I not against namco I would like to see Lloyd & heihachi & nightmare sorry if you think I had somthing against it.

and I was referring to kos-mos because you know why and it’s getting me riled up.
Okay, but why not just leave the KOS-MOS supporters who still cling on to the "Cat Leak" to themselves? If they're wrong, they're wrong.

I think everyone in this thread is already well aware of where you stand on KOS-MOS' chances so I really don't see the point in continuing to stomp on whatever little hope the character has left.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
My four most wanted characters?

1. Reimu Hakurei:
I've always been huge into Touhou and as much as I adore Touhou, I never seriously considered her or Touhou to be in Smash. At least not until all the huge support she got and the big Doujinshi leak she was in which I am still 50/50 on. I was admittedly nervous of supporting her given how I know how the Smash fandom is and they can mock you for having an "Unusual" character want but here I am, supporting her.

2. Dante:
Like Touhou, I've always been big into DMC and he's a Capcom rep I would love to have in. I can imagine him having a ton of gameplay potential and him being a "Difficult but rewarding" character to use. I would so enjoy him in.

3. Travis Touchdown:
I've been wanting Travis into Smash for the longest while and as unlikely as he is, he'd have a lot of personality to Smash. Sure, some stuff on him will have to be toned down but Suda51 deserves a lot of love in Smash and I feel like Travis being into Smash will help a lot.

4. Phoenix Wright:
I do honestly think we need a Visual Novel rep and I do love the idea of Monokuma and/or Saber in Smash but Phoenix Wright is one I think will make the most sense into Smash. Plus he'd bring unique evidence based mechanics that'll make him be so fun to play as. I do like the idea of a Lawyer beating up a lot of the Smash roster too, anyways.

Honorable mentions: Kazuma Kiryu, Monokuma, Saber, 2B, KOS-MOS, Edelgard.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
My four most wanted characters?

1. Reimu Hakurei:
I've always been huge into Touhou and as much as I adore Touhou, I never seriously considered her or Touhou to be in Smash. At least not until all the huge support she got and the big Doujinshi leak she was in which I am still 50/50 on. I was admittedly nervous of supporting her given how I know how the Smash fandom is and they can mock you for having an "Unusual" character want but here I am, supporting her.
*gasp* I forgot to mention Reimu! She's far from my fav 2hu girl, but imagine all of the music she can come with hhhhhhh. And tbf, she'd still have a cool moveset if they took a page or two from the fighting games. I wonder what music she'll get? Love Colored Master Spark? UN Owen Was Her? Stuff like that.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
All you Sora supporters should think about maybe backing proto-Sora a.k.a Sion Barzahd from The Bouncer. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Okay, but why not just leave the KOS-MOS supporters who still cling on to the "Cat Leak" to themselves? If they're wrong, they're wrong.
Well yeah but in here is different because some keep on saying it’s likley real and putting coincidences with it supporting it. And there’s also that game awards leak from 11/20

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

1. Kyo Kusanagi (not gonna happen with him being on Terry's stage but I can dream)
  2. Edelgard (or any other major TH character)
  3. Crash
  4. Rex/Pyra
Quote is an honorable mention.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Top 4 Most wanted? Well, if I have to cherry-pick out from my Top 10 (Excluding Spirits/Assist Trophies):
1: Phoenix Wright: Unquestionably my most wanted character alongside Isaac. I love the Ace Attorney games for their charming characters, crazy courtroom antics and enticing storylines. Not to mention Phoenix was one of my mains in the days of Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 alongside Dante, so I'd happily relive that team in Smash Bros (Strider Hiryu for Mii Costume too? Or even Strider as a playable character?)
2: Reimu Hakurei: I've been a follower of Touhou since the start of the decade - just fanart and the music first before eventually playing a few games from the series. Reimu would definitely be unlike any fighter so far with her danmaku and all the wonderful songs that she'll bring with her, from Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly, U.N. Owen was Her? and Necrofantasia would be all delightful to hear in the context of Smash Bros.
3: Dante: Similar to Phoenix, he's one of my old mains from the UMC3 days. Stylish and lots of fun as well, just like the Devil May Cry series should be (no, not that abomination).
4: Kazuma Kiryu: I'm still playing through Yakuza 0, but just this game alone has given me all I need to throw my support for Kiryu in Smash. He's the sort of comically serious charm that Smash would welcome but also have plenty of cool moveset potential to stand out from most brawlers - different fighting styles or using the Heat Gauge to pull off more powerful or stronger attacks... I'd definitely take Kiryu in Smash over him appearing in Tekken tbh.
3 Honourable mentions would be KOS-MOS, Sol Badguy and Octolings.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We doin' most wanted characters again!? See, this is why everyone needs a spiffy signature with all of their most wanted. We ask this every other day.

Anyway, here's something a little more unorthodox. Fill in the next 5 DLC characters using the following criteria:

Fighter #1: Who da heck is that?
Fighter #2: Character you despise.
Fighter #3: Character you've been begging for.
Fighter #4: Character from a new game
Fighter #5: They actually got in?!?!

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well yeah but in here is different because some keep on saying it’s likley real and putting coincidences with it supporting it. And there’s also that game awards leak from 11/20
What a shocker that people will support "leaks" that make the odds of their favorite character look more favorable.

Look, you can offer your opinions on what companies you think are likely or unlikely for fighter #5, but we don't need someone to play gatekeeper with characters and pass off their word as fact.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Amaterasu: A character near and dear to me due to me and my dad's fondness for dogs (considering one saved my life once), as well as my interest in art. So to see a game based around a dog helping humans and animals alike, while slaying demons, and purifying the corrupted landscape, with various weapons, AND a paintbrush as her tail. How could I say no to that? (and I could go on about the music, and areas in the game).

Sora: The Kingdom Hearts Series are games that are close to my... Well heart. I really like Sora's personality. His optimism, perseverance, and his can do, never say die attitude, and unwavering loyalty to his friends is what is so great about him, as well as being an amazing acrobatic Swordfighter with a ton of spells.

Shantae: The Half Genie Hero admittedly, 1/2 Genie Hero is the only Shantae game I've played. But from what I played, I instantly fell in love with her game. I love the music, the colorful stages and Shantae's transformation, transforming by dancing, and her other magical abilities like her Fireball/Flamethrower, or her Storm Puff to shoot lightning.

Elma: I've never played Xenoblade X but from what I heard about Elma on this site, she sounds like a character I'd want any day.
Fast, agile, and acrobatic? Check.
Dual Swords? Check.
Dual Guns? Check.
^Instantly switch between the two? Check.
Overdrive quirk to buff her self? Check.
(I DIG)GIANT ROBOT(S) (Skell)? Check.
What's not to love?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feels good to think I'm going to be completed blindsighted for #5. I want to go in wondering if it will be someone like Phoenix Wright, Sora, or Doomguy and walk out with Bub from Bubble Bobble. I mean just look at him.

He's just sitting there vibing.
Bub-from-Bubble-Bobble-Original-Arcade-Art-1986-.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We doin' most wanted characters again!? See, this is why everyone needs a spiffy signature with all of their most wanted. We ask this every other day.

Anyway, here's something a little more unorthodox. Fill in the next 5 DLC characters using the following criteria:

1: Sgt. Cortez for Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium . I have no idea who Cortez is lmao
2: uhhhh Fortnite Jonesy. He'd only be MARGINALLY more tolerable than Bubsy I guess
3: ELMAAAAAAAAAAAAA
4: uhhhhhh Officer Howard?
5: Gunvolt would be this for me

D

Deleted member

What a shocker that people will support "leaks" that make the odds of their favorite character look more favorable.

Look, you can offer your opinions on what companies you think are likely or unlikely for fighter #5, but we don't need someone to play gatekeeper with characters and pass off their word as fact.
I just want a break from it that’s all

KillerCage

Smash Master
PapaGenos posted another video several minutes ago.
I'm not sure if KOS-MOS is Fighter 5. Not only is she owned by Bamco (who were deconfirmed by Vergeben if we still believe him,) she seems to me to be too niche to be shown off at TGA. I know we got Joker there, but at least Persona 5 was nominated for Best Game of the Year and won Best RPG.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm not sure if KOS-MOS is Fighter 5. Not only is she owned by Bamco (who were deconfirmed by Vergeben if we still believe him,) she seems to me to be too niche to be shown off at TGA. I know we got Joker there, but at least Persona 5 was nominated for Best Game of the Year and won Best RPG.
I'll be honest, I've never heard of KOS-MOS before smash speculation. But from what people have told me about her, I think she would be a blast to play as.

D

Deleted member

and just when I said I wanted a break from this whole kos-mos leak stuff a couple of minutes ago in here this gets posted :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Fighter #4: Character from new game
Hey it beats dealing with insiders.

1. Kunio (sorry DarthEnderX DarthEnderX , I had no idea who this was before smash speculation. Seems cool tho)
2. Sora
3. Professor Layton
4. Claude
5. Maxwell from Scribblenauts

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

1. Reimu
2. Sora
3. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
4. Tales of Arise protagonist?
5. Shantae

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
My Top 5?

1. Shantae
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Rex and the Aegis
4. Hakurei Reimu
5. Kiryuu Kazuma

This thread moves so quickly.
Following it feels like I'm being nibbled to death by...
What are those creatures? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet, go quack.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I agree with a lot of stuff in your post, but this especially strikes a chord with me... and actually, it's as a fan of Geno.

I genuinely love Geno, and I've posted my stupidly long, sentimental Twitter thread as to why. I can safely say that I'm no bandwagoner, and I've forged all of my own different ideas with Geno from an artistic and literary perspective ever since I became a fan of his. My friends and I often joke that he's 'practically my character now'. However, there are a lot of days I am afraid of being a Geno supporter, because the angry mobs against him are quite enormous. I don't mean people who don't care for or even hate him, but the people who go out of their way to harass people who innocently like him.

You know what, though? I still do it, because in my heart of hearts, I love my star boy. I'm not going to deny that I love a character just because I fear some internet hate machine or something lol. That'd be silly. Just as such, if your disliking a character gets you bashed, too, then that is silly. Everyone has their own opinion, and that's just what makes us human. Accept this of yourself, and deny the people who won't accept this of you.
Personally, its not that people hate Geno, but rather the "fans" (and I would say most of those "fans" are "bandwagoners", not legitimate fans of the character and/or the game he is from). They want the the thrill of tribalism and that high of "winning". If you point towards GameFAQs as an example of Geno being hated, the fact is that place basically hates any character that is popularly requested at all (they seem to be big contrarians in general).

"Bandwagoners" act the same regardless of any fanbase they are in. They gravitate towards any character with a high probability of getting in and a "high stakes and drama" around, and they will go out of the way to attack anyone who does not think highly of their bandwagoned character of choice. And when the character ends up being deconfirmed, they all forget that they ever supported the character to begin with (they did this with Ridley and Chrom during Smash 4), or even join in the detractors in making fun of that character.

You are a real fan. Use your clout to try to get the bandwagoners to act better (I know I tried to use my seniority as perhaps the original Ridley supporter to get them from believing those dumb shadow theories but to no avail).

Myself personally, I am a very big fan of Super Mario RPG, and it was my first RPG ever. It is still one of my favorite games for the SNES. However, my nostalgia and attachment with the game is not with Geno, but various other things with it (heck, Mario himself is very memorable and charming in that game to me).

I think you will get your single most wanted character next year (unless Geno ends up being at the end of the post-pass DLC), so take solace in that.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Gonna just list the ones I still currently believe possible:

4. Phoenix Wright

I grew up during the DS era and was huge into Ace Attorney. He's a huge icon for me from my childhood, and ever since then, I always thought it would be amazing to have him in Smash. Ace Attorney is one of the most clever, funny, and engaging stories I've ever played through in a game series, so for me, Phoenix would be a huge addition. Plus, AA music is fire. Imagine a Smash remix of Pursuit!

3. Yuri Lowell

One of my absolute favorite JRPG protagonists from an RPG I absolutely adore. Tales of Vesperia is what got me into the Tales series and to this day is one of my all time favorite video games. His moveset just screams Smash potential to me, and I would absolutely main him if he got in. I just find the way his character is written so interesting compared to the usual Tales of protagonists. I can't really go into why I find Yuri so interesting compared to other Tales characters without spoilers, but what I can say is that he's easily my most wanted Bamco and Tales of rep by far.

2. Sora

THE BOY. Kingdom Hearts is my childhood, man: I grew up playing this series since I was real little. He's one of the few character that might legit get me to cry if he was revealed, simply because even more so than Joker, I know he's the king of pipedream requests and never-evers thanks to Disney entanglement. If Sakurai somehow pulled this off, I honestly would be tempted to say I'd never ask for another character, Smash would be perfect to me. Only one other character could do that, and they're...

1. Octolings

I. Hecking. Love. Octo Expansion. So. Pecking. Much. If the impossible happened and Sakurai went back to Splatoon for them and made them as unique as I truly believe they can be...! That'd be it, I'd be so happy. So, so happy. The music, the moveset potential, the stage potential, Mii costumes: Literally everything about Octo Expansion is amazing to me, and I would just be overjoyed if it happened.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Already answered this question literally just yesterday, so this time, I'll spice it up with my personal prediction on how likely they are

1. Rhythm Heaven Rep: 5% likelihood
It's pretty much common knowledge at this point that a Rhythm Heaven rep was very likely planned for Smash 4, but ended up being scrapped for some reason. I'd argue if they were top priority, they would've made the cut for Ultimate's base game. Though I'm also willing to bet that sakurai intended to give em a special rhythm based mechanic that probably didn't come to fruition due to complications, especially with an online heavy game like smash. So yeah, unfortunately I feel like that ship has sailed. Oh, I'm also personally betting that spirits deconfirm. Sakurai is a man of many details. If he doesn't allow Alucard on Wii Fit Studio due to vampires lacking a reflection, he'd very likely not be the type of person to let a character fight their own spirit, simply for lore reasons.

2. Steve : 35% likelihood
Minecraft is very interesting case. It's a western IP, which Smash never really covered until very recently with Banjo. That being said, Minecraft is one of the most influential games of the last decade, the current record holder of the best selling video game of all time, and was a worldwide phenomenon. Japan in particular went nuts for it. Even Sakurai's enjoyed it. And with Microsoft already on board with the aforementioned Banjo, and were apparently very easy to negotiate with, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai would wanna double dip with em. There might be some slight competition with fellow Microsoft biggie, Master Chief, but with Halo being pretty much exclusive to a console brand that has notably sold poorly in japan, I feel like Minecraft would be the top priority at the end of the day. Definitley a name to keep an eye one, especially in post pass

3. Elma: 3% likelihood
Imo Elma only had a shot as either Smash 4 DLC or Ultimate Base. Cuz otherwise, I'm pretty sure Rex and Pyra outprioritize her in terms of xenoblade representation. Also, like mentioned earlier, I'm of the belief that spirits deconfirm. So yeah, things ain't looking too good for her.

4. Byleth: 55% likelihood
The lack of a TH spirit event is a big hmmmm indeed. Only two things holding them back imo. First up, is competition against the other three main TH lords, especially Edelgard. And second, would sakurai be willing to add another full fledged FE newcomer after Corrin got such a lukewarm reception? Otherwise I'd say they're pretty likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom