• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
It is a tragedy how many companies are hard kissing chinas (and Tencents) ass. That can only end in a catastrophe.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This could deconfirm all other Sega characters : Sonic characters :skull:, Arle Nadja:skull:, Aiai:skull:, Sakura Shinguji:skull:, Ryo Hazuki:skull:...
edit : Jacky Wig (Virtua Fighter) Costume is gone.

A 3rd mature gun Fighter in DLC ?
I would say this is true for the 1st Wave. If there is another Wave, this wouldn't necessarily be a deconfirm.

D

Deleted member

I just had a thought:

Let's say that Banjo was added to Smash 64, which released before Microsoft bought Rare.

Now, what would have happened if everything else went the way we knew it up until Ultimate... Would Ultimate even exist?

Ultimate's most important tagline was "Everyone is Here!", but considering the idea of Banjo being in Smash 64... Would the game be possible in that case? Could Sakurai manage to convince Microsoft about adding Banjo for such a special title... Or would Ultimate never happen in that situation?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just had a thought:

Let's say that Banjo was added to Smash 64, which released before Microsoft bought Rare.

Now, what would have happened if everything else went the way we knew it up until Ultimate... Would Ultimate even exist?

Ultimate's most important tagline was "Everyone is Here!", but considering the idea of Banjo being in Smash 64... Would the game be possible in that case? Could Sakurai manage to convince Microsoft about adding Banjo for such a special title... Or would Ultimate never happen in that situation?
I think he would manage to get Banjo if he was a veteran. Either way, I can't imagine a whole game being cancelled just because one character. They'd just wouldn't call make "Everyone is Here" tagline, that's it.

D

Deleted member

I think he would manage to get Banjo if he was a veteran. Either way, I can't imagine a whole game being cancelled just because one character. They'd just wouldn't call make "Everyone is Here" tagline, that's it.
Yeah, that seems possible.

Although I heard somewhere that Ultimate almost didn't happen because of Cloud (maybe it wasn't true, but I don't remember where I heard it first).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, that seems possible.

Although I heard somewhere that Ultimate almost didn't happen because of Cloud (maybe it wasn't true, but I don't remember where I heard it first).
I think most people suspect SquareEnix of being difficult with its IP what with the whole two tracks, no remixes, and no spirits thing (We didn't even get the summons as spirits even though they're in the game elsewhere). He also doesn't have an English voice actor though that one is presumed to be Nintendo's fault.

It's why I worry about Erdrick or Sora's representation in Smash if they are DLC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He also doesn't have an English voice actor though that one is presumed to be Nintendo's fault.
Square's contract with Steve Burton being Cloud's English VA makes it incredibly difficult for Cloud to legally have an English voice in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Square's contract with Steve Burton being Cloud's English VA makes it incredibly difficult for Cloud to legally have an English voice in Smash.
So it's like, Nintendo won't hire Steve Burton because he's unionized, but they're not allowed to hire someone else because of SquareEnix's contract? That's actually pretty interesting. Alternatively based on what you said Steve Burton is also only allowed to work on Final Fantasy titles, but I don't think that's what you meant 'cause that would be pretty dumb for the actor as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just had a thought:

Microsoft seems pretty willing, so if it came to having Banjo return for base game I'm sure he'd be back. Hell, if he had been in 64, he might have even made a comeback in Smash 4, given Minecraft on Wii U et al.

D

Deleted member

I just had a thought:

Gotta say its funny that people now think of this hypothetical situation, if you were alive back then it was more likely to ask yourself were was Peach, Wario or Bowser. I think that an effort to get him back for Ultimate would have been made but other than that its hard to know.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
If Jane's actually a separate fighter, my money's on Lara Croft.
I completely agree with you there.

As for the SNK rep thing, I don't see any other SNK character ever getting in over Terry Bogard.

EDIT: Who is this Arle character everyone is talking about?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm a defeatist, and a non-believer in a second wave. I don't necessarily think that it's the end for any company, it could be total anarchy as to who gets in and who doesn't, but I will die on the hill of "this is our one and only set of Fighter DLC". I'm pretty sure that working on Smash non-stop for Sakurai and his motley crew of developers and more for 7 years has probably taken its toll, they don't need an 8th or 9th.

If we do see a second wave, I actually do sincerely believe it will be first party/repped series only (cheaper to make when you don't need to make a stage too), with exactly one exception as the final stage (unless we get a bonus, free stage, then I'm convinced it's over). I think Arle is slowly becoming a bigger and bigger deal, but I don't know if that translates to the big third party...

But if the stage list expands, or a DLC section is added for stages beyond this wave, then I could see it. And if we get more, I'mma just say Arle is going from a nobody to a serious contender in the speculation scene alongside Kazuma Kiryu. They've both been doing pretty well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm a defeatist, and a non-believer in a second wave. I don't necessarily think that it's the end for any company, it could be total anarchy as to who gets in and who doesn't, but I will die on the hill of "this is our one and only set of Fighter DLC". I'm pretty sure that working on Smash non-stop for Sakurai and his motley crew of developers and more for 7 years has probably taken its toll, they don't need an 8th or 9th.

If we do see a second wave, I actually do sincerely believe it will be first party/repped series only (cheaper to make when you don't need to make a stage too), with exactly one exception as the final stage (unless we get a bonus, free stage, then I'm convinced it's over). I think Arle is slowly becoming a bigger and bigger deal, but I don't know if that translates to the big third party...

But if the stage list expands, or a DLC section is added for stages beyond this wave, then I could see it. And if we get more, I'mma just say Arle is going from a nobody to a serious contender in the speculation scene alongside Kazuma Kiryu. They've both been doing pretty well.
I'd say they have some good chances, especially since Puyotet really launched Puyo's popularity in the west to become more mainstream. (I can't begin to tell you how happy THAT makes me.) Kazuma Kiryu has gotten really popular, too.

I'm putting it in my mind that there isn't another wave, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility, especially with the future-proofing in the code. It at least means it isn't off of the table. If we get another wave, I could see lesser effort third parties (characters like Arle, or heck, even Geno given they've already got some rights to him + Yoko on the team), as well as some first parties (Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie, etc). Basically, they'd be more hardcore fan-focused and less like huge show-stoppers like the Fighter's Pass is proving itself to be.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Who says Sakurai may work on it? He could back away but review general plans. Also the non-stop work is a little silly. The team makes video games. They would rather stay on and stay employed. They would just be passing along to do another game anyways.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
RIP the 5chan leak lmao. Not a single reference to Jack Frost anywhere in the game.
I'm starting to doubt Erdrick more and more as time goes on. Like I've gone from "yea he'll probably be in" to "are we even getting a Square Enix rep at all?"

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Speaking of Brave, who else is it speculated to be if it isn't Erdrick or Sora?

Last edited:

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
RIP the 5chan leak lmao. Not a single reference to Jack Frost anywhere in the game.
I'm starting to doubt Erdrick more and more as time goes on. Like I've gone from "yea he'll probably be in" to "are we even getting a Square Enix rep at all?"
I REALLY hope we don't get Erdrick in Smash, lol.

Also, who is Kazuma Kiryu?

Ornl

Smash Ace
Erdrick was supported by Vergebern, Tansut, Xenother and Polar Panda, GameXplain and, although their credibility is debatable, Leaky Pandy and Hitagi. Of course, they have no authority, as this 5chan leaks :
- Erdrick + Steve + Ryu Hayabusa + Doomguy (not the same person that predicted Jack Frost in Memento),
- Erdrick + Velvet + Nakoruru + Resdient Evil rep.

But Erdrick remains the most legitimate, the most obvious, the easiest, the first Fighter to predict.
History
Dragon Quest is a series that have almost 40 games, and is considered to be part of the Nintendo family. Most games in the series (including Monsters) are on Nintendo support. The series is even entitled to a specific logo version when the game is released by Nintendo, which is not done with any other outside license. Slime inspired the same enemy in Zelda 3 and subsequent opuses. He also appeared in three Mario games : Itadaki Street DS, Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street, and in Miitopia.
• The Dragon Quest series has already sold 76 million units. Dragon Quest IX is the best selling third party game at Nintendo, and the 12th position of the best-selling games in Japan. Dragon Quest VII 16th. Dragon Quest III 23rd. Dragon Quest VIII 25th.
• The animated series Captain N (1989) brings together a lot of video game universes. Among them, there are elements from Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Mario, Megaman, Metroid, Punch Out !!, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Faxanadu, Gradius, Tetris, and Wizards & Warriors.

Famitsū
• The Japanese video game magazine Famitsū assigns scores to video games. Dragon Quest IX and IX received a perfect score. Dragon Quest II and VIII received anear-perfect score of 39/40.
• Famitsū included a developper column where Sakurai publish bi-weekly column since 2003. Regarding back on his past columns in 2016, he mentioned Final Fantasy 77 times, Dragon Quest 71, Metal Gear 46, Monster Hunter 42, Zelda 41, Mario 40, Pokémon 34, Street Fighter 32, Gradius 30 and Mother 29.
• In 2016, in the most memorable games on each console, Final Fantasy appears 17 times, Mario 15, Dragon Quest 12, Pokémon 9 and Megami Tensei 9. In 2017, according to the Famitsū readers, Dragon Quest III is in 2sd position of the favorite game of all time and the top 20 RPG of all time after Persona 5

Reggie announcement
Unlike Sora and Geno, and like Joker and Piranha Plant, Erdrick and Crono certainly haven't massively votes in the ballot. So they would be : "Who never saw it coming, new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5 : it's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC".

Image interpretation
On February 4th, the general director of the Kirby series, Shinya Kumazaki, made a post on Instagram showcasing a number of photos of Kirby next to Erdrick's shield. The post reads: "The brave's shield. そして伝説がはじまった! (And thus, the legend started!)". However, the post has since been edited to state that "This picture has no meaning", and Kumazaki's profile was updated to read "Photo are unrelated to work". Kumazaki isn't directly involved in the Super Smash Bros. series, only being listed as an Original Game Supervisor for Ultimate.

Suggestions are grouped in this article.
- Bravely rep, Tiz or Agnès,
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius rep,
- Sora, because his Valor Form is called "Brave Form" in Japanese,
- Monster Hunter, because an Hunting Style in Monster Hunter Generations is called "Brave Style",
- Yo-kai Watch rep, because there is the Brave tribe,
- Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia), because his guild name is Brave Vesperia.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If we were to get an SNK rep but it wasn't a fighting game character (cause Ryu/Ken), I'd really like to see a Metal Slug character.

Too early to say (if it does happen), but maybe there's also a good chance they'll stick with Fighter's Pass 1's route if they do another wave. Continuing to bring in wildcard (?) picks that attract more audiences (?) to the game could be more profitable than just some fan picks, but who knows, especially seeing as fan demanded veterans had their place in Smash 4's DLC. Maybe also, in exchange for having to do more work, Sakurai takes a stronger hand in the choosing selection that time round, whether that means getting someone like Geno or another Piranha Plant-kinda pick.

It's kinda strange they deliberately left spots for the FP's DLC stages in the selection box, but then also left another square open. Were they working on a slightly different stage number (though one that didn't round out to 100 when you remove FD, Big Battlefield and Battlefield) in development? Was that there to form as a "button" for other stages in the event they would do more beyond the 5 FP one's? The games item selection also has an empty space but that wasn't seemingly accounting for spots they were intending to fill with DLC (or maybe other stages they scrapped for the base game?).

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda expecting Brave to be Slime from Dragon Quest, just because IMO he'd be a much better rep for the series overall than Erdrick. He'd have a way more interesting moveset (I'm fully convinced that everything Erdrick would do, :ultrobin::ultrobinf: already does, but I would be happy to be proven wrong if Erdrick is indeed #2). And you can actually market/sell him to western audiences, unlike Erdrick who is about on par with :ultmarth: and :ultroy: when Melee released in terms of "how relevant is this character to western audiences." People would remember Slime from when Nintendo marketed the hell out of DQ9 back in 2010 and go "oh hey that's a cute character that I remember on my DS with a funny moveset like :ultisabelle: or :ultpiranha:. I want them."

The data seems to back it up being Slime, with the slide that occurs whenever Brave turns making me think of a character who is literally a sentient blob of liquid. There is an argument of "the data isn't final" except :ultpiranha: and :ultjoker:'s final data wasn't exactly that different from their previous iterations. :ultpiranha: went from the slowest character in the game to one of the slowest, and :ultjoker:went from top 10 fastest to top 15 fastest, iirc. Not that drastic of a difference.

There's also the matter of what Brave means as a codename. IMO, Brave is a horrible codename for Erdrick because it's such an easy connection to make that literally everyone jumped on it the instant we found his codename. It's not like Jack for :ultjoker: where there's multiple characters you could argue it being (Raiden, Jack Frost, anyone with a playing card connection) or Doyle for Arsene, who's even more of an obscure codename. If anything, Jack > Jack Frost > Joker (Mascot of SMT > protag to very popular game of spinoff to SMT) makes me think Brave could be the inverse. Protag of classic DQ game > mascot of DQ (Brave > Erdrick > Slime.)

If there's some rule that "The Smash team always picks protags over mooks" (which is a dumb argument that Pikachu invalidates and frankly I think they just pick whoever they think will both bring something new to the table/fans will recognize) then I think they'll pick Luminary from DQ11. At least he's known to audiences both east and wast. Or maybe they'll do something like Bowser Jr and have a generic "Hero" character where all the alts are different DQ protags. Or maybe they'll pick the mascot of the entire franchise and go with Slime. Or maybe DQ is too much of a hassle to acquire the rights to and we don't get a rep. Or maybe there is no Square DLC rep and we've been Grinch'd again by """leakers."""

KatKit

Smash Lord
I already posted this in the Joker social, but this topic is also appropriate. I think I'm onto something:

I haven't talked about Jane since the trailer dropped, but I haven't lost faith. Ideally, she'd be a free (or cheap) echo, complete with her own 8 palette swaps. It's feasible, too. The Smash site has an "Individual DLC" section (dedicated to non-season pass characters) on the DLC page that only lists Piranha Plant thus far. More "bonus" (promotional) fighters may populate that section throughout Ultimate's lifespan. Particularly, if they're characters that took less time to develop (i.e. echoes, no additional stage/songs, etc.) that aren't apart of the season pass.

Alternatively, I can imagine Nintendo adding more than 8 palette swaps/costumes for each character. Paid or otherwise, I highly doubt the number is staying at 8 for everyone. Regardless, delaying Jane's reveal in Smash makes sense; we know so little about her role in P5, and she can be used as cross-promotion for both Smash and Persona.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People would remember Slime from when Nintendo marketed the hell out of DQ9 back in 2010
It's not just that. When he worked for Nintendo Power, Alan Averill used a picture of a Slime plush instead of his actual face.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I have a feeling Resident Evil will make it’s way into Smash sometime soon, whether it be through Mii Gunner costumes or Fighters. It’s honestly a huge elephant in the room when discussing iconic Japanese franchises.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
My current DLC Fighter Pass 1 prediction:

Long version:
Challenger Pack 1: Joker + Mementos (April 2019)
Well of course, this is all confirmed (and amazing).

Challenger Pack 2: Erdrick + Alefgard (June 2019)
Maybe I don't WANT to believe in it... I really hope Slime is in. And it is still possible I guess because of the slippery running animation. But I think Erdrick is up next, and he will be announced as the first character in Nintendo's E3 thingy, and is playable right after the E3 presentation.

Challenger Pack 3: Banjo & Kazooie + Gruntilda's Lair (August / September 2019)
Just teased at E3 just like Joker. Later, in late August/early September, Banjo & Kazooie will get a full video presentation like Joker did. The 5.0 update will bring back Home Run Contest and some other neat tidbits.

Challenger Pack 4: Tibby + Rhythm Remix (November 2019)
This is my biggest stretch. It is just weird how under-represented the Rhythm Heaven series is for such a big Nintendo series. One combining character, Tibby, with as alts his friends (for instance alts based on Betty, Bertram and Phillip). He uses Rhythm-based attacks, something Sakurai needs to experiment with. Ever since Smash 4 he had this in his head (series icon for Rhythm Heaven was found) and maybe now is the time, because he has to work on less different things than making a whole new game. Nobody can deny that Rhythm Heaven is Nintendo's current biggest series without a rep, or even an Assist Trophy.

Challenger Pack 5: Crash +_Gone Tomorrow (January / February 2020)
Confirmed during or around the Game Awards 2020 is the last character for Smash Ultimate: Crash. Representing another new Third Party, Activision, Crash can bring a unique character, who fits right in Smash. Crash brings the legendariness of the characters in Smash to a whole new level. Now, the fight between Mario, Banjo & Kazooie and Crash is possible, which is an equivalent to a fight between Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. Sakurai loves to think about these kind of matchups, that's why I think Crash is extremely likely. The stage is kind of biased. I would love to see this environment in Smash.

Short version:
Pack 1: Joker + Mementos (April 2019)
Pack 2: Erdrick + Alefgard (June 2019)
Pack 3: Banjo & Kazooie + Gruntilda's Lair (August / September 2019)
Pack 4: Tibby + Rhythm Remix (November 2019)
Pack 5: Crash + Gone Tomorrow (January / February 2020)

What do you guys think? And would you buy this pass?

Ornl

Smash Ace
A new Capcom rep
Joker
arrived with the Mii Costumes of Tails and Knuckles. It's missing is the two Sega Costumes from Virtua Fighter, but Akira Wig has become an Assist Trophy. There are other Mii Costumes that haven't been renewed. Among them :
- Squenix : Chocobo hat, Geno,
- Bamco : Gil, Heihachi, Lloyd,
- Capcom : Hunter, Rathalos, MegaMan.EXE, Proto Man, X, Zero.
Monster Hunter and Zero have an evolution in Assit Trophy. The absence of the other Costumes from Mega Man could suggest that they will reappear with a new Capcom Fighter.

The problem of Resident Evil
According to Reggie, "Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking care of the DLC. He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. That's been the approach, that's the thinking". How Resident Evil could give a different level of fun and enjoyment for the player ? This question challenges a significant amount of predictions, but particularly the characters whose gameplay only is based on swords or firearms.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
But I think Erdrick is up next, and he will be announced as the first character in Nintendo's E3 thingy, and is playable right after the E3 presentation.
I really don't think they'd announce Erdrick at E3. It's an event for western audiences and Erdrick is a massive nobody in the west. Luminary or Slime I would argue are relevant enough to be shown at a big E3 showing because DQ11 actually sold pretty well here, but not Erdrick. So either Brave isn't Erdrick, and the 2nd rep is someone else who might not even be DQ, or Vergeben is right and Nintendo held off on showing Erdrick at the Game Awards (because western audiences wouldn't know him) only to reveal him at a larger event for western audiences. Honestly, I think all signs point to it being someone else entirely unless we want to take debunked "leakers" words as fact.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Im thinking it's more likely to be Frisk from Undertale. Determination is a synonym for Bravery. Also, the character's height is 12 which is the same as Ness. Sora and DQ guy would likely be taller. I'm doubtful of Sora or DQ Guy in general because they only came up through rumors, namely that there would 100% be a SE rep.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How Resident Evil could give a different level of fun and enjoyment for the player ? This question challenges a significant amount of predictions, but particularly the characters whose gameplay only is based on swords or firearms.
You could say that about pretty much anyone really. As for a Resident Evil character, it would probably be heavily reliant on resource management.
Im thinking it's more likely to be Frisk from Undertale. Determination is a synonym for Bravery. Also, the character's height is 12 which is the same as Ness. Sora and DQ guy would likely be taller. I'm doubtful of Sora or DQ Guy in general because they only came up through rumors, namely that there would 100% be a SE rep.
It would be pretty interesting to see how the fight/mercy mechanic would be translated into a fighting game, but I don't think we'll get an indie character just yet. Also, just because a rumor or "leak" has been debunked doesn't mean the character is off the table.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not super confident in Erdrick, but he's still very possible. He doesn't just fit Brave, but Dragon Quest is very important to gaming history. I mean, we could get Slime instead, another important character to the series, as well as the grandfather of random encounters. Funny enough, more remember the original game's hero, who was just a descendant of Erdrick. Well, outside of Japan, anyway. It helps it was the first character and started off the main Hero Class that multiple rpg's work with(a class which is quite variable, able to equip most things, has good spells of variety, and balanced stats. Multiple rpg's have similar characters. Others take more from Dragon Quest II where the Hero is magicless, but still very strong, while having a dedicated healer and a mage as well. It can vary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom