• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Pillars theory is based around all DLC in the fighters pass coming with a unique character (non-echo), bring a new stage, new music, and new spirits. This eliminates most first-parties and third-parties that already have a spirit representing their franchise
Shouldn't that just be "franchises that have enough spirits already as to not be redundant"?

D

Deleted member

Pillars theory is based around all DLC in the fighters pass coming with a unique character (non-echo), bring a new stage, new music, and new spirits. This eliminates most first-parties and third-parties that already have a spirit representing their franchise
It does feel like a given that the Fighter Pass will involve franchises that have yet to be included to Smash. The only possible exception to that is Fire Emblem considering 3H is getting released in a few months, though it's still early to judge since they could just sell a Byleth mii costume as DLC.

As for the Mii Costume theory, I'm not a fan of Capcom getting another character in the Fighter Pass. There are a lot of characters from Capcom that are definitely possible for Smash, but right now, they have 3 fighters in Smash already. This doesn't mean I won't be excited to see Phoenix Wright or someone from Resident Evil. I'd just like for Nintendo to hold off on adding another Capcom character so that we can get a few new fighters from companies that have yet to be included in Smash rather than just 1.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
he only possible exception to that is Fire Emblem considering 3H is getting released in a few months, though it's still early to judge since they could just sell a Byleth mii costume as DLC.
Just because Corrin was a thing doesn't mean they'll do it again. Sakurai was already concerned about the number of FE reps in Smash 4.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
The theory is more or less a fact, yet we still have many who are still pushing for first-party characters
Whaaaaaaaa?

The spirits were the only thing not mentioned in the FP description outlined back in the November direct unlike the details of the stage and music. We're technically not even sure each new DLC fighter is gonna have those DLC spirits.

Even so, I don't see how this definitively disproves getting characters from series with spirits already in the game? They could just add even more character spirits to those existing, maybe? Perhaps an obstacle is if there's a series that already has a gargantuan amount of spirits to make even more present be redundant.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Whaaaaaaaa?

The spirits were the only thing not mentioned in the FP description outlined back in the November direct unlike the details of the stage and music. We're technically not even sure each new DLC fighter is gonna have those DLC spirits.

Even so, I don't see how this definitively disproves getting characters from series with spirits already in the game? They could just add even more character spirits to those existing, maybe? Perhaps an obstacle is if there's a series that already has a gargantuan amount of spirits to make even more present be redundant.
The Persona spirits can still be found in the shop if you don't have Joker. Perhaps they could also make some already existing spirits easier to get?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Whaaaaaaaa?

This is why I call it the pillar theory

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It seems Jane was indeed some early code/file stuff for Joker, likely (if not definitely, based on the filename) a scrapped alt. imo.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

y'all might've seen this, but it wasn't shared here so...

As for this "pillars" theory, I think Sakurai confirmed each DLC fighter would have their own spirit board (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Theory that costume theory is a troll
According to Reggie, every new Fighter should be "never saw it coming". But Nintendo would be overtaken by Brave's rumors and dataminding. So, Nintendo would have made the choice to troll, bringing Sega content with Joker, then to Squenix content with Brave. Thus, the players would be conditioned to follow a false track. Many would believe that there would be another Capcom rep, and possibly another Bamco rep. But it could be a trap, tor continue to create surprise and propose unexpected characters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just because a fighter brings spirits with it doesn't mean they have to be from a currently unrepresented franchise. Granted franchises with a small notable character count are pretty much out since they probably already have all of thier potential spirits in the game (ex. Yoshi, Ice Climber, Splatoon), but others still have plenty of spirit potential.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
According to Reggie, every new Fighter should be "never saw it coming". But Nintendo would be overtaken by Brave's rumors and dataminding. So, Nintendo would have made the choice to troll, bringing Sega content with Joker, then to Squenix content with Brave. Thus, the players would be conditioned to follow a false track. Many would believe that there would be another Capcom rep, and possibly another Bamco rep. But it could be a trap, tor continue to create surprise and propose unexpected characters.
I think it's less-likely a troll and more-likely Nintendo doing their own thing without caring about people speculating and trying to "predict" what they're gonna do. Bringing back mii costumes is certainly because they wanted to and not because they wanted to lead people on.

However, Mii Costume Theory is just as likely to be false as it is to be true, as they could simply release returning costumes without tying them in with a character that comes from the same company.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo isn't all knowing, and they can't see the future. Just because somebody randomly makes a prediction doesn't mean it's automatically false because Nintendo planned for people to make false assumptions to then subvert them.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It does feel like a given that the Fighter Pass will involve franchises that have yet to be included to Smash. The only possible exception to that is Fire Emblem considering 3H is getting released in a few months, though it's still early to judge since they could just sell a Byleth mii costume as DLC.

As for the Mii Costume theory, I'm not a fan of Capcom getting another character in the Fighter Pass. There are a lot of characters from Capcom that are definitely possible for Smash, but right now, they have 3 fighters in Smash already. This doesn't mean I won't be excited to see Phoenix Wright or someone from Resident Evil. I'd just like for Nintendo to hold off on adding another Capcom character so that we can get a few new fighters from companies that have yet to be included in Smash rather than just 1.
I think representing unique/important game franchises is more important than representing companies.

I don’t see any particular reason that, say, Namco should have as many reps as Capcom when Capcom has far more notable franchises.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I think representing unique/important game franchises is more important than representing companies.

I don’t see any particular reason that, say, Namco should have as many reps as Capcom when Capcom has far more notable franchises.
Right ? You could make a whole DLC pass with only Capcom reps and still have some to spare !

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Outside Nintendo, Capcom's probably the most influential company there.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Famitsū is a Japanese video game magazine that included a developper column where Sakurai publish bi-weekly column since 2003. According to a poll to readers in 2017, Sega is preferred at 20%, Squenix 17%, Konami 12%, Nintendo 11%, Atlus 7%, Spike Chunsoft 5%, Bamco 4%, Capcom 4%, Sony 3%, then Koei Tecmo 2%. This partly reflects Persona's popularity in Japan.

Nintendo DREAM is a Japanese Nintendo video game magazine that included pages about Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Mother, Pokemon + Capcom + Sega + Konami (where Power Pro is important) + Bamco + Marvelous + Level 5.

Squenix, Chunsoft and Level 5 worked for the development of Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Famitsū is a Japanese video game magazine that included a developper column where Sakurai publish bi-weekly column since 2003. According to a poll to readers in 2017, Sega is preferred at 20%, Squenix 17%, Konami 12%, Nintendo 11%, Atlus 7%, Spike Chunsoft 5%, Bamco 4%, Capcom 4%, Sony 3%, then Koei Tecmo 2%. This partly reflects Persona's popularity in Japan.

Nintendo DREAM is a Japanese Nintendo video game magazine that included pages about Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Mother, Pokemon + Capcom + Sega + Konami (where Power Pro is important) + Bamco + Marvelous + Level 5.

I can't believe Capcom is rated so low on the list :c

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I don't think that this means anything.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It meant something for Joker.
And probably Brave.
And what is it supposed to mean? "Sega and Atlus are popular, so Joker is a pick based on some level of popularity." That's... kind of... a given? I'm pretty sure most of us know that Sega is huge and Atlus, a part of Sega, is a company with a good amount of toes in the gaming lake?

I don't see the point in spouting statistics over stuff that's already been established. It means nothing beyond what we already know. It's pointless.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Who would be likely, but still hilariously out of place? Some have speculated DoomGuy and my god that would never fail to be awesome but funny. I can just imagine him standing over even the tallest characters and proceeding to BFG-ing them to oblivion.

D

Deleted member

Who would be likely, but still hilariously out of place?
Honestly, there's all sorts of characters out there none of them wouldn't feel that out of place. They could put the PUBG posterboy in Smash and somehow make it work. The only real 1s that would feel really out of place are non-video game characters like Jon Snow or Homer Simpson since Smash is primarily a video game crossover, even if they also had video games based from their series.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
The only real 1s that would feel really out of place are non-video game characters like Jon Snow or Homer Simpson since Smash is primarily a video game crossover, even if they also had video games based from their series.
I think they are a few that deserve some recognition for recent videogame successes, even if they hard their start in comic books or the like. Arkham Batman is a good example but with Snake, Joker, and CF the style the character would bring would be redundant plus I still believe if they were to do that Smash should bring in all the videogame greats and long awaited reps. first.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
You guys want to hear something crazy? The next Smash character reveal (or two) is only 49 days from today! I have a couple questions for you all. One, how many characters do you think will be revealed in Nintendo's E3 presentation? And secondly, who do you think it/they will be?

Personally, I think we're getting two character reveals at E3. One will drop in June or the same day as its reveal. The second will launch in August or September. As for who I think they'll be. I think we'll see our first character from a Western company, probably Banjo given all the evidence for them happening. The second might be the rumored Square rep we'll be getting. Those are my thoughts, but I want to hear yours! Let me know what you think!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still holding out on my prediction.

72: Erdrick (June/E3 reveal; September release)
73: Banjo-Kazooie (June/E3 reveal; September release)
74: Lloyd Irving (September reveal; December release)
75: Jill Valentine (December/VGA reveal; February 2020 release)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Still holding out on my prediction.

72: Erdrick (June/E3 reveal; September release)
73: Banjo-Kazooie (June/E3 reveal; September release)
74: Lloyd Irving (September reveal; December release)
75: Jill Valentine (December/VGA reveal; February 2020 release)
Fantastic lineup. I'd be happy with this for sure.

Ornl

Smash Ace
And what is it supposed to mean? "Sega and Atlus are popular, so Joker is a pick based on some level of popularity." That's... kind of... a given? I'm pretty sure most of us know that Sega is huge and Atlus, a part of Sega, is a company with a good amount of toes in the gaming lake?

I don't see the point in spouting statistics over stuff that's already been established. It means nothing beyond what we already know. It's pointless.
The oringinal subject was the influence of Capcom. I brought a cultural point of view from of Famitsu readers and Nintendo Dream (Japan). You brought that back to Joker, reproaching me for the uselessness of my sharing. You affirm that "most of us know that Atlus is a company with a good amount of toes in the gaming lake". It's a surprise for me. I didn't know that most of us were already aware of the influence of Atlus before the announcement of Joker.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You guys want to hear something crazy? The next Smash character reveal (or two) is only 49 days from today! I have a couple questions for you all. One, how many characters do you think will be revealed in Nintendo's E3 presentation? And secondly, who do you think it/they will be?

Personally, I think we're getting two character reveals at E3. One will drop in June or the same day as its reveal. The second will launch in August or September. As for who I think they'll be. I think we'll see our first character from a Western company, probably Banjo given all the evidence for them happening. The second might be the rumored Square rep we'll be getting. Those are my thoughts, but I want to hear yours! Let me know what you think!
I'm expecting two characters for E3. With how long we've been waiting, anything less would be stupid and a massive letdown.

As for whom, I'm expecting the Square Enix rep to be there (leaning towards Erdrick, Sora or Crono, in that order), and Banjo for the second one. If not Banjo, definitely another western character like Crash. If we get Sora, then maybe the second character can be someone more lowkey and tied to a reveal (personally, fingers crossed for Phoenix Wright).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If I had to make a guess for who's going to appear...

At E3, Brave will be a Dragon Quest character. I'm thinking Slime, though it could be Erdrick or the Luminary. DQ Char will be revealed alongside 3, but released shortly after E3 as opposed to number 3, who will come at around very early October. The third character will probably be the big reveal for casual audiences: I honest to god think The Human from Undertale is happening.

Since I don't believe Costume Theory, I expect that at later dates, Crash and as the final character, either Banjo or Steve, will show up. If Costume Theory doesn't go the way of music but instead box, then I'd put money on Lloyd Irving and either Dante or an RE character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

At E3, Brave will be a Dragon Quest character. I'm thinking Slime, though it could be Erdrick or the Luminary. DQ Char will be revealed alongside 3, but released shortly after E3 as opposed to number 3, who will come at around very early October. The third character will probably be the big reveal for casual audiences: I honest to god think The Human from Undertale is happening.

Since I don't believe Costume Theory, I expect that at later dates, Crash and as the final character, either Banjo or Steve, will show up. If Costume Theory doesn't go the way of music but instead box, then I'd put money on Lloyd Irving and either Dante or an RE character.
Dante's been disconfirmed.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If I may ask, what makes you so sure in getting Frisk as a DLC character Ridrool64?

Also tho this is hypothetical, do yall think we could get two Western platformer characters in the Fighter's Pass or would they choose one or the other (as in Crash and Banjo)? I saw this thing on Twitter where some guy said the Fighters Pass could be "diverse", with only one of the two.

D

Deleted member

In case for those that don't know why Dante's deconfirmed, this article states Hideaki Itsuno wants Devil May Cry to be on a Nintendo platform before Dante can be in Smash. There is also this article that says a DMC V port would be considered depending on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen's sales for the Switch. It'll probably be a long time before Dante becomes a fighter in Smash if DMC ever does make its way on the Switch in some fashion.

I wonder what other characters are considered deconfirmed as well, though I think that deserves a thread of its own.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I may ask, what makes you so sure in getting Frisk as a DLC character Ridrool64?

Also tho this is hypothetical, do yall think we could get two Western platformer characters in the Fighter's Pass or would they choose one or the other (as in Crash and Banjo)? I saw this thing on Twitter where some guy said the Fighters Pass could be "diverse", with only one of the two.
It could definitely happen, but I think it's a big enough step that they'll want to take it slowly.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice

I hope you're right. An Undertale character would make me go nuts. That'd be the most hype Smash reveal since Sonic in Brawl for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom